• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

That tweet actually does the opposite of what u intended, plus if u look at other gifs and videos you see the environments are not bursting with detail.

Last edited:
Has that actually ever happened though? I don't think FM7 looked better than GTS...
Did FM7 release after GTS?

It released slightly before GTS, but Turn 10 had already released FM5 and FM6 that gen, compared to GTS being Polyphony's first release for the PS4. Add to that the sheer amount of content and features that came with FM7 right out of the box, compared to how surprisingly little GTS had. They shouldn't have even been comparable, but they are. Especially when comparing gameplay vs replays.

The first Forza release after GTS was FH4, which easily outshines GTS.

Of course Forza horizon is incredible but GT7 with its cars modeled to perfection, its very fine and pleasant gameplay on the controller, and its atmosphere, has its place in the list of the best racing games.. :messenger_winking:

BQz6zKf.gif

bwvL3Xf.gif

EjM4NtZ.gif
Yikes! 😳

Imagine making this statement about a game, months before its even been released.

It's one thing to have confidence in a developer to release something on par with their last offering. It's something entirely different to say a game that hasn't even been released is on the list of best racing games. Especially considering this developers last release.

Inviusx

Did FM7 release after GTS?

It released slightly before GTS, but Turn 10 had already released FM5 and FM6 that gen, compared to GTS being Polyphony's first release for the PS4. Add to that the sheer amount of content and features that came with FM7 right out of the box, compared to how surprisingly little GTS had. They shouldn't have even been comparable, but they are. Especially when comparing gameplay vs replays.

The first Forza release after GTS was FH4, which easily outshines GTS.

FH4 looked great but on console they only targeted 30fps so they had that extra render budget to amp things up a bit. Not a fair comparison IMHO.

Sebmugi

Yikes! 😳

Imagine making this statement about a game, months before its even been released.

It's one thing to have confidence in a developer to release something on par with their last offering. It's something entirely different to say a game that hasn't even been released is on the list of best racing games. Especially considering this developers last release.
These are my personal tastes, but I already find that GT sport is a very good game, I spent a lot more time there than on forza 7 .. , so to say that GT7, which looks a lot like it with a few additions thanks to the PS5, will be a good game it's not great to take risks. but I agree we can have a final opinion when the game is released :messenger_beermugs:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
That tweet actually does the opposite of what u intended, plus if u look at other gifs and videos you see the environments are not bursting with detail.
There's no need to look at GIFs, just look at the Deep Dive in 4K:

FH5 is a beautiful game and impressive considered it's open world, but it's easy to see the difference in graphics. FH5 is an arcade game and the open world reflects that. GT7 is a simulator with closed tracks and focus on realism.

Easy to see which of these two games looks more "realistic" - that's GT7. Physics on tires, road details, details in cockpit and skybox is way more superior in GT7.
If you look at the way shadows and lights are cast in GT7, you'll see how it makes the world details come to life, in a way no racing game has done before.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Has that actually ever happened though? I don't think FM7 looked better than GTS...

Go boot FM7 on PC right now max it out, then boot GTS and answer that question yourself. Was enough comparisons in here where outside a few car models it’s night and day while releasing earlier than GTS.

GT7 is being held back by PS4 right? What everyone keeps telling us about the S. I’m expecting massive things with the new Forza since it doesn’t need to be tied to last gen, with how long they’ve been allowed to have it cooking, look at the work they used to produce in the time frame.

Forza 7 released nearly 5 years ago. I don’t even expect Forza 8 this year we’re looking at a 6 year development window for a game they used to only get 2 years with.

The environments in G7 still aren’t that impressive and 99% of the gifs are still in replay mode.

TBiddy

Forza 7 released nearly 5 years ago. I don’t even expect Forza 8 this year we’re looking at a 6 year development window for a game they used to only get 2 years with.

This makes me very excited to see Forza 8 as well. Or just Forza Motorsport, as they'll probably call it, when they turn it into an on-going game for the next 4-5 years. Also, I'm hoping to see some more gameplay from GT7 soon. The whole half-replay,half-gameplay thing is.. well, let's just say I prefer direct gameplay videos.

Also, I'd prefer to get a PS5 to actually play GT7, but that's another matter.

Inviusx

Go boot FM7 on PC right now max it out, then boot GTS and answer that question yourself. Was enough comparisons in here where outside a few car models it’s night and day while releasing earlier than GTS.

GT7 is being held back by PS4 right? What everyone keeps telling us about the S. I’m expecting massive things with the new Forza since it doesn’t need to be tied to last gen, with how long they’ve been allowed to have it cooking, look at the work they used to produce in the time frame.

The environments in G7 still aren’t that impressive and 99% of the gifs are still in replay mode.

Do you remember what page they were on? I haven't been in this thread in years.

Allandor

GT7 is a simulator with closed tracks and focus on realism.
No, it's not.
GT7 has excellent car models (from what we've seen so far) but it is not a simulator. It is still like Forza Motorspor an "arcady"-sim but far away from a real racing simulator.

What I really find astonishing is, that so many people just seem to want good looking replays and a good looking photo-mode. IMHO those things are really unimportant as I want to play a game and not just watch a "TV-show". But that is just my point of view.

I'm a PlayStation fan, but I've gotta say GT7 is very disappointing. The cars look very nice as always, but in all other ways this game is absolutely murdered by FH5 et al. The days of Polyphony being market leaders in visuals are long past.
I disagree. GT7 has better looking cars and better lighting than FH5. Of course one is closed track and the other is open world, so comparability is limited anyway.

The real showdown will be GT7 vs FM8. FM8 kinda has to win though, imagine getting beaten by a cross-gen game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I disagree. GT7 has better looking cars and better lighting than FH5. Of course one is closed track and the other is open world, so comparability is limited anyway.

The real showdown will be GT7 vs FM8. FM8 kinda has to win though, imagine getting beaten by a cross-gen game.

I said the cars look great (yes, better than FH). But the environments are, as usual, disappointing.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
There's no need to look at GIFs, just look at the Deep Dive in 4K:

FH5 is a beautiful game and impressive considered it's open world, but it's easy to see the difference in graphics. FH5 is an arcade game and the open world reflects that. GT7 is a simulator with closed tracks and focus on realism.

Easy to see which of these two games looks more "realistic" - that's GT7. Physics on tires, road details, details in cockpit and skybox is way more superior in GT7.
If you look at the way shadows and lights are cast in GT7, you'll see how it makes the world details come to life, in a way no racing game has done before.

I agree, the cars look fantastic. But when you look at the rocks, vegetation (or lack thereof) and masionary there seems to be a lack of dimensionality where other games have implemented layering systems and technologies like tessalation to give surfaces the appearance of more geometry.

Hopefully digital foundry will examine this area.

And even though its a track racer, these track still have a ton of micro geometric details in real life.

Last edited:

CobraAB

GT7 is very uneven, the cars and lighting are nice but the environments are all over the place, some spots look good and others look awful. Those buildings look terrible, when they show and angle later in the state of play where the cars are heading towards the screen you can see a really low res awful looking hill behind them, I don't know why they included that in the show it was terrible.
Oh well, the game had a good run. :(

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
wouldn't these closed circuit game benefit a lot from EPICs Nanite tech? Infinite detail that doesn't have to have collision properties (off track)?

Are you sure about that?

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes I'm sure. Look at the overly saturated lighting in your shot and the one above.

Anyway one is a sim the other is not, and one obviously puts more processing power into environments whereas the other puts lots more into the car, physics etc. There's no comparison.

If you want to compare car game environments then Horizon would win. But I reckon most people play these games for the cars (and how they handle, sound etc) dont you think?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Its clear to me that some of you never saw or played Forza Horizon 5 running on a high end pc. The level of detail is unmatched, the lighting is incredible and the world is the most dynamic open world in a racing game. I play the game maxed out at 4K with 70fps avg and it looks better than any other game you can name (i have played all of them on PC and PS5).

Here some direct gameplay shots (in HDR it looks even better)
51817558260_d4b7fb6419_o.jpg

51657546826_53f783112b_o.jpg

51817190489_a11b0da9e1_o.jpg

51817558360_8e99920747_o.jpg

51816954303_34604dbca4_o.jpg

51816956823_b904e7d656_o.jpg

51817557985_55b736a665_o.jpg

51679340311_e3f508c4c8_o.jpg

51655977234_f8a8c9f4bb_o.jpg

51817562535_8630b5423c_o.jpg

Coulomb_Barrier Coulomb_Barrier lol yeah sure buddy

nemiroff

Gold Member
FH5 is a beautiful game and impressive considered it's open world, but it's easy to see the difference in graphics. FH5 is an arcade game

It's only arcade if that's how you want to play it (going off-road in supercars cutting down trees like a mf etc.), but Turn10s physics simulation engine is very much there if you confine yourself to roads. Its engine features is even more updated than the latest FM game. And graphically/detail wise its no contest really, FH5 beats GT7 to a pulp, which is kinda odd considering the open world vs closed circuit difference.

Anyway one is a sim the other is not, and one obviously puts more processing power into environments whereas the other puts lots more into the car, physics etc. There's no comparison.

Again; That's arguably more wishful thinking than facts. If you step back just a little, physics/models/sound wise they have plenty in common, it's in the gameplay choices they actually differ the most.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
maxresdefault.jpg

Yes I'm sure. Look at the overly saturated lighting in your shot and the one above.

If you want to compare car game environments then Horizon would win. But I reckon most people play these games for the cars (and how they handle, sound etc) dont you think?
Yeah. Both the game and real life have over saturated lighting, sure. Poor God also doesn't know how to create realistic lighting.

s5phitauist11.jpg

Is real life over saturated here vs the game???

Being a sim or not has nothing to do with devs trying to aim for realistic graphics or not. -_-'

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

You already lost it with this...what a nonsense comparison.

Utherellus

FM7 was 1.3TF 68GB/s ddr3 console game.

GT Sport was 1.86TF 176GB/s gddr5 console game.

There was no such scenario where Turn10 could ship on par or better fidelity than GTS. Just not physically possible.

But Motorsport 8 is next-gen. Completely free of past gen limitations while GT7 is still handcuffed by PS4.

This console gen Motorsport will take the lead.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
You already lost it with this...what a nonsense comparison.

Fuck off with this shit, we’ve had this argument since 2014 and it’s abundantly clear PC counts.

If Poly where capable of releasing on PC I wouldn’t have any issue of that being used in comparisons at all.

Its clear to me that some of you never saw or played Forza Horizon 5 running on a high end pc. The level of detail is unmatched, the lighting is incredible and the world is the most dynamic open world in a racing game. I play the game maxed out at 4K with 70fps avg and it looks better than any other game you can name (i have played all of them on PC and PS5).

That does look insane. I have a feeling gt7 will come close though. It's pretty stunning in its own right.

I agree, the cars look fantastic. But when you look at the rocks, vegetation (or lack thereof) and masionary there seems to be a lack of dimensionality where other games have implemented layering systems and technologies like tessalation to give surfaces the appearance of more geometry.

Hopefully digital foundry will examine this area.

And even though its a track racer, these track still have a ton of micro geometric details in real life.
It really sucks that on a ps5 we're not getting tesselation in gt7 or any other games really. It's such a great technique. Demons Souls has it I think

Dr Bass

The game is good looking (yeah I've played it of course) but ...

Can you honestly say with a straight face you don't think this is a pretty stylized presentation? Despite using photogrammetry, no one would ever mistake these shots for real life, ever. It does have a "cartoony" presentation compared to GT.

GT7 is clearly going more for straight up realism as much as possible. I don't even see why that's seemingly controversial to some, they are vastly different kinds of games.

Turk1993

The game is good looking (yeah I've played it of course) but ...

Can you honestly say with a straight face you don't think this is a pretty stylized presentation? Despite using photogrammetry, no one would ever mistake these shots for real life, ever. It does have a "cartoony" presentation compared to GT.

GT7 is clearly going more for straight up realism as much as possible. I don't even see why that's seemingly controversial to some, they are vastly different kinds of games.
Show me 1 in game screenshot of GT7 or GTS in 3d person view that looks more photorealistic than the screens above and can fool people that its real life. In photomode or drone mode i can also make it look photorealistic and no one will notice it that its from a game. Only time GT looked straight out photorealistic was in replay mode and scape mode. And how is FH5 cartoony looking when the devs literally captured the real sky and used photogrammetry and color scanning in different seasons to achieve the most true the life version of Mexico they experienced. They said that they handpicked the most amazing moments and crazy weather patterns that they captured. People really think that there are no colors in real life or that everything is lifeless.
Have you ever seen how colorfull a country like Mexico really is?
Look how much more colorfull real life can look in a country like Mexico
forza-horizon-5-vs-reality-comparison.jpg

fh5comparison.jpg

4YwVDPs.jpg

RevKZS4.jpg

m0WQAz3.jpg

9VDZbLi.jpg

And yes GT7 lighting is also super impressive and realistic looking, they nailed it as always. But that doesn't mean that the lighting in Forza is not realistic or cartoony looking.

Show me 1 in game screenshot of GT7 or GTS in 3d person view that looks more photorealistic than the screens above and can fool people that its real life. In photomode or drone mode i can also make it look photorealistic and no one will notice it that its from a game. Only time GT looked straight out photorealistic was in replay mode and scape mode. And how is FH5 cartoony looking when the devs literally captured the real sky and used photogrammetry and color scanning in different seasons to achieve the most true the life version of Mexico they experienced. They said that they handpicked the most amazing moments and crazy weather patterns that they captured. People really think that there are no colors in real life or that everything is lifeless.
Have you ever seen how colorfull a country like Mexico really is?
Look how much more colorfull real life can look in a country like Mexico
forza-horizon-5-vs-reality-comparison.jpg

fh5comparison.jpg

4YwVDPs.jpg

RevKZS4.jpg

m0WQAz3.jpg

9VDZbLi.jpg

And yes GT7 lighting is also super impressive and realistic looking, they nailed it as always. But that doesn't mean that the lighting in Forza is not realistic or cartoony looking.

Jesus, that's fucking impressive. Almost 100% mirror's real life locations.

I need to go play Horizon 5 again

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Fuck off with this shit, we’ve had this argument since 2014 and it’s abundantly clear PC counts.

If Poly where capable of releasing on PC I wouldn’t have any issue of that being used in comparisons at all.

Why not compare it with the xbox version? Because you know GTS looks better so you use the PC version to compare it with…what a clown.

Also some of you claiming that FM8 already is better is a big joke. But at the same time still crying and shitting on everything GT7. FM8 is nothing more them a concept trailer and a name.

The game does not exists.

Let me know when someone finds some actual gameplay shots of GT7 that look better than these above. ^

No replays. No "mall photo" mode (or whatever that fake background photoshoot mode is called in GT7). Real gameplay. Someone find 'em for me.

Inviusx

Let me know when someone finds some actual gameplay shots of GT7 that look better than these above. ^

No replays. No "mall photo" mode (or whatever that fake background photoshoot mode is called in GT7). Real gameplay. Someone find 'em for me.

That look better than running on a high end PC? Not possible.

Turk1993

That look better than running on a high end PC? Not possible.
There are still gonna be some things better in GT7 despite running on weaker hardware. GT7 still has better material shaders and mostly better looking interiors so its not that everything in FH5 looks better. And im sure PD will have some more surprises for us that we will find out the moment we play it on our screens. They didn't even show 1% of the game yet, lots of new things to discover on March 4.

Given the history of this thread, and other similar comparisons, you won’t see much of straight gameplay shots. And when you do, chaos may ensue accusing people of cherry picking shots.

Top Bottom