• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

FukuDaruma

You drive 80mph and see if you can make out a tree on your shiny hood? Now if it was tested going 10mph with the same results you have a case
It has the same result at 10mph, and it isn't "a tree". It's all reflections on your car during real gameplay being appalling for a 2022 PS5 track game.

FukuDaruma

shitting on gran turismo but praising this garbage.

edit: i get it now, my dude thought it was an in-game livery LMFAO.
they don't make cg experts like before lol

Sure, dude. Look, here your pal Kaz was using a "user made" lighting too. :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_ok:
GT7 amazing hyperrealism:

Yellow car enters tunnel and gets shadow.
White car enters tunnel... and there's no shadow. The car keeps the same lighting as outside the tunnel.
A second later the yellow car lits by itself inside the tunnel...
:messenger_ok: 🤦‍♂️

wmm1emf.png

Sure this game is polished as fuck. Release is gonna be meme fest.

Then there's the amazing windshield rain:
eqlfdcf.png

Which sure beats this 'garbage': :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And environments, effects:
loJb4cW.png

IeKgniv.png

How great and 'next gen' :messenger_tears_of_joy: 🤦‍♂️ , unlike this 'garbage' made with 1/100th of the resources:

This is a few guys at home modding a 2014 game from a tiny independent studio. Polyphony is a big studio with THREE HUNDRED employees and a budget of more than $100 MILLION.

The sound alone wipes the floor with GT. Your GT worship only shows you don't know much else.

It's 4 years after GT Sport and it's been 8 years since GT6. Turning a blind eye to all GT7 disappointing problems and shortcomings is just pure fanboyism.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Sure, dude. Look, here your pal Kaz was using a "user made" lighting too. :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_ok:

eqlfdcf.png

loJb4cW.png

IeKgniv.png

How great and 'next gen' :messenger_tears_of_joy: 🤦‍♂️ , unlike this 'garbage' made with 1/100th of the resources:

This is a few of guys at home. Polyphony is a big studio with THREE HUNDRED employees and a budget of more then $100 MILLION.

The sound alone wipes the floor with GT. Your GT worship only shows you don't know much else.

It's 4 years after GT Sport and it's been 8 years since GT6. Turning a blind eye to all GT7 disappointing problems and shortcomings is just pure fanboyism.

You have some serious hate for GT lol

ethomaz

Banned
Not 'hate'. Call it what it is: huge disappointment after so many years and 'next-gen'. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't know GTS is pretty popular and reached over 15 million players.
What is disappointment to you could not be to others.

I believe you should play AC or ACC on consoles before make these comparisons imo... because they are not helping your point.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
It has the same result at 10mph, and it isn't "a tree". It's all reflections on your car during real gameplay being appalling for a 2022 PS5 track game.
Even if you were right. (And your not ) That doe’s not make a racing game great. So you think if the car was stopped at the same spot on the track it would look the same?? Doubt it

FukuDaruma

I don't know GTS is pretty popular and reached over 15 million players.
What is disappointment to you could not be to others.

I believe you should play AC or ACC on consoles before make these comparisons imo... because they are not helping your point.
We are not discussing 'popular'. You know what is a lot more 'popular'? Fortnite. And Mario Kart. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AC and ACC were made by studios that are a TINY fraction of what Polyphony is, and with a TINY fraction of their GT7 budget. They are not Sony first party 2022 releases on PS5.

FukuDaruma

Just an FYI. The white car does have "a shadow" The headlights from the player car turn on and brighten cars in front when in the tunnel.
No, they don't. The white car enters the tunnel with the exact same lighting it had outside. The yellow car gets shadowed when it enters the tunnel, then it gets lit for a moment and then it doesn't...
If the cars where lit by the headlights, those lights would be visible in the track's asphalt, the tunnel, projecting shadows...

FukuDaruma

Even if you were right. (And your not ) That doe’s not make a racing game great. So you think if the car was stopped at the same spot on the track it would look the same?? Doubt it
That's a valid point. Yes, there's plenty of other things in the game that may be good, but I'm pointing out technical aspects that are very disappointing taking into account which studio is making this and the budget they had.

Raven117

We are not discussing 'popular'. You know what is a lot more 'popular'? Fortnite. And Mario Kart. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AC and ACC were made by studios that are a TINY fraction of what Polyphony is, and with a TINY fraction of their GT7 budget. They are not Sony first party 2022 releases on PS5.
I like ACC alot as well. But GT7 is going after a much different market. It can be summed up as ACC is a racing simulator...GT7 is a car enthusiast simulator.

Long story short....the GT brand is going to pull in alot of people that don't know much about the racing sim-scene. Yes, there are other more accurate simulators out there for the driving experience (ACC, Iracing), but Id suggest letting people have their fun with GT...GT is just a different package...which is a hell of a lot of fun to play.

SLB1904

Banned

eqlfdcf.png

loJb4cW.png

IeKgniv.png

This is a few guys at home modding a 2014 game from a tiny independent studio. Polyphony is a big studio with THREE HUNDRED employees and a budget of more than $100 MILLION.

This clown keep posting this blurry modes like he has a winner lmfao.

No one absolutely no one in sim community uses this garbage lol

Don't get me wrong, Asseto Corsa modded looks stunning but you cant compare it like that. I mean have you seen the realistic mods for GTA5? So its like saying why does the new Saints Row look shit compared to what 5 modders did but in fact, even Rockstar with their bazillions didn't do it either and I can bet GTA6 is not even going to look as good as some of those mods either. It comes down to art style which I think since GT4, the series kept. Maybe its a bit too clean and polished but thats just how their games look. Also im pretty sure they are using 80% assets of GTS just 4k res so it was never going to be a total overhaul of the engine and look.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

And?

The discussion about TINY or BIG studio doesn't change the results... the game are released already.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
That's a valid point. Yes, there's plenty of other things in the game that may be good, but I'm pointing out technical aspects that are very disappointing taking into account which studio is making this and the budget they had.
Fair enough. I still can’t wait to fire this game up!! Oh and I will try and reproduce that picture stopped when I get the game 😂

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
FukuDaruma is right, they are the same low quality cubemaps from GTS unfortunately. It doesn't mather if you stop or drive 300mph they will look the same.
Gran-Turismo-SPORT-20220208185913.png

Gran-Turismo-SPORT-20220208185927.png

Gran-Turismo-SPORT-20220208190008.png

Fair enough. I still can’t wait to fire this game up!! Oh and I will try and reproduce that picture stopped when I get the game 😂
Hope they can increase the quality in the final version or after release with a patch, because the PS5 is more than powerfull enough to handle high quality reflections.

FukuDaruma

This clown keep posting this blurry modes like he has a winner lmfao.

No one absolutely no one in sim community uses this garbage lol
Sure, that's why just CSP has 12,847 patrons giving Ilja Jusupov $19,000 a month and there's literally hundreds doing PPfilters, Reshade presets, ... 🤦‍♂️

Knock off the petty name calling and antagonistic warring posts designed to instigate each other.

Fine by me. (y)

Last edited:

Utherellus

shitting on gran turismo but praising this garbage.
2022-02-08.png

what you even on about now lol

edit: i get it now, my dude thought it was an in-game livery LMFAO.
they don't make cg experts like before lol

Imagine calling Assetto a garbage lmao.

Do you have any clue that Assetto together with Iracing and Rfactor are ONLY definitive track racing simulation experiences, overshadowing anything else on the market?

Dr Bass

eqlfdcf.png

loJb4cW.png

IeKgniv.png

Those videos look fantastic.

It also reinforces something I try and get across to people on this board, in that you can't just throw money at software and get quality. It really does come down to having the right talent, and I think your comparison of the GT team to this small group backs that up in a big way.

I'm still likely getting GT7, but yeah, awesome work on that Assetto Corsa game.

SLB1904

Banned
Imagine calling Assetto a garbage lmao.

Do you have any clue that Assetto together with Iracing and Rfactor are ONLY definitive track racing simulation experiences, overshadowing anything else on the market?
Get the context. Assetto corsa isn't garbage by any means or stretch of the imagination.

Now that mode is garbage. You can barely read the dashboard. Everything is so blurry.

FukuDaruma

Don't get me wrong, Asseto Corsa modded looks stunning but you cant compare it like that. I mean have you seen the realistic mods for GTA5? So its like saying why does the new Saints Row look shit compared to what 5 modders did but in fact, even Rockstar with their bazillions didn't do it either and I can bet GTA6 is not even going to look as good as some of those mods either. It comes down to art style which I think since GT4, the series kept. Maybe its a bit too clean and polished but thats just how their games look. Also im pretty sure they are using 80% assets of GTS just 4k res so it was never going to be a total overhaul of the engine and look.
Honestly, most of those mods look pretty bad, with oversaturation, overcontrast, etc. GTA5 is pretty old, it's essentially a PS3 game. On the other hand, you really can't make a modern one like Red Dead Redemption 2 much more realistic than they did.
Not discussing art style, I was pointing out specific technical aspects.
Just seeing how amazingly good the CSP rain is and how little resources it needs, both Polyphony and Turn10/Playground should have been knocking at Ilja's door to license it, because both GT and Forza effects are shit in comparision. It's like that guy on Youtube that redid the Mandalorian scenes of a young Luke Skywalker with a deepfake and the result was much better than ILM's... they did hire him.

Roxkis_ii

Ignorance truly is bliss. I thought GT7 was the best looking racing game I've seen to now, but of course pc games have mods that hit harder. Still going to get GT7 day one, but I can't say little wind wasn't knocked out of my sails of my fan boy ego.

Skifi28

This is certainly a nominee for one of the most embarassing threads ever. I think once in a while, it's good to take a step back and appreciate what's important in life.

He deserves it. Most donations are just $1. He's been providing the most awesome support for any game, ever. AC+CSP has nothing to do with AC alone, it's like a whole new game. It's not just some graphic improvements or the day/night, weather and seasons. Even the physics are new.
Just this "better than Driveclub" rain alone it's worth it. Professional studios like Ployphony and Ployground should be fucking ashamed than ONE guy in his home does this stuff so much better than their teams with hundreds of people and millions.

It is crazy how often Modders make professional dev teams look bad

Turk1993

Finally shadows in interiors are ok.
Some small improvement like grass etc.
But it looks mostly like GTS with slightly different TOD.
Those 2D cardboard trees are unacceptable on new gen...
+ Shadows
+ Interior lods
+ draw distance
+ mirrors quality
+ grass
+ sky

- Reflections
- Environments still the same and even some downgrades on some places
- Trees
- Draw distance is in some cases reduced

Last edited:

Turk1993

This is supposed to be a generation jump... 🤦‍♂️

hMIFaJT.png
Yeah really disappointed in some of the stuff in the environments, there are even some downgrades
Look at the rocks on the left side, there is less polygons in GT7 and the draw distance is reduced right above the start icon (foliage is missing). And everything else looks the same in the environment which is disappointing.
gt45463.jpg

Yeah really disappointed in some of the stuff in the environments, there are even some downgrades
Look at the rocks on the left side, there is less polygons in GT7 and the draw distance is reduced right above the start icon (foliage is missing). And everything else looks the same in the environment which is disappointing.
gt45463.jpg

The biggest problem is focusing too much in replays and photo mode. GT has never looked as good in gameplay. Concessions are always made to get good frame rate n gameplay. I’m sure it will look great and you probably won’t notice most of the low LOD while actually racing.

Turk1993

The biggest problem is focusing too much in replays and photo mode. GT has never looked as good in gameplay. Concessions are always made to get good frame rate n gameplay. I’m sure it will look great and you probably won’t notice most of the low LOD while actually racing.
Those are also nice to have you know, the replay and photomode are the best in class. But after 5 years and a much much more powerfull console i expected alot more graphically during gameplay. Atleast offer a 1800CB/120fps mode or something. But anyway i will enjoy the game regardless how it looks, they added some nice content and modes where im gonna put 100h+ in it. And i can't wait to try the Dual Sense controller with GT7, its gonna feel soo good. Its not all visuals you know, the sound and feedback plays a big part in games like this. And don't forget PSVR2, shit gonna be crazy with a full setup.

Three

No, they don't. The white car enters the tunnel with the exact same lighting it had outside. The yellow car gets shadowed when it enters the tunnel, then it gets lit for a moment and then it doesn't...
If the cars where lit by the headlights, those lights would be visible in the track's asphalt, the tunnel, projecting shadows...
There are lights from headlights on tunnel surfaces on some tracks but having daytime headlights on will affect other cars but NOT the floor or tunnel. It has been like this for a while. Look at GT sport:

The lighting you are seeing in GT7 is from the headlights. You can see it on the yellow car as they exit the tunnel.

Last edited:

Three

Kaz throughout development kept saying he is interested in 120-240fps. They might not have hit a stable 120fps mode but I'm hoping for some VR goodness later down the line. Maybe whole game playable in VR @90fps or something.

Neo_game

There is no doubt GTS is already great looking game but GT7 I am struggling to see much improvements. IMO the controller and loading times will be the only worthy upgrade about the PS5 version. Not sure about 3D sound as well.

Last edited:
There is no doubt GTS is already great looking game but GT7 I am struggling to see much improvements. IMO the controller and loading times will be the only worthy upgrade about the PS5 version. Not sure about 3D sound as well.
I really hope they improve the reflections with the PS5. Those were so hard to unsee after seeing them. Initial shots here look to be the same absurdly low res reflections. But perhaps there is some optimization yet to happen.

FukuDaruma

There are lights from headlights on tunnel surfaces on some tracks but having daytime headlights on will affect other cars but NOT the floor or tunnel. It has been like this for a while. Look at GT sport:

The lighting you are seeing in GT7 is from the headlights. You can see it on the yellow car as they exit the tunnel.

Nope, the lighting is simply fucked up and is glitching in tunnels.
Here you can see it clearly, Time stamped 1:01, play it at 0.25x speed and you will see all the cars switching lighting and the car in the back thats far behind ***with no car behind or in front of it*** is also switching lighting like the yellow car in the other video.

h2Ena3J.png

Inviusx

Nope, the lighting is simply fucked up and is glitching in tunnels.
Here you can see it clearly, Time stamped 1:01, play it at 0.25x speed and you will see all the cars switching lighting and the car in the back thats far behind ***with no car behind or in front of it*** is also switching lighting like the yellow car in the other video.

h2Ena3J.png

Dude the game still needs to run at 60fps on a base PS4. What were you expecting?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Its clear to me that some of you never saw or played Forza Horizon 5 running on a high end pc. The level of detail is unmatched, the lighting is incredible and the world is the most dynamic open world in a racing game. I play the game maxed out at 4K with 70fps avg and it looks better than any other game you can name (i have played all of them on PC and PS5).

Here some direct gameplay shots (in HDR it looks even better)
51817558260_d4b7fb6419_o.jpg

51657546826_53f783112b_o.jpg

51817190489_a11b0da9e1_o.jpg

51817558360_8e99920747_o.jpg

51816954303_34604dbca4_o.jpg

51816956823_b904e7d656_o.jpg

51817557985_55b736a665_o.jpg

51679340311_e3f508c4c8_o.jpg

51655977234_f8a8c9f4bb_o.jpg

51817562535_8630b5423c_o.jpg

@Coulomb_Barrier lol yeah sure buddy
It looks good but I don't see "best looking game ever" like you stated

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
He deserves it. Most donations are just $1. He's been providing the most awesome support for any game, ever. AC+CSP has nothing to do with AC alone, it's like a whole new game. It's not just some graphic improvements or the day/night, weather and seasons. Even the physics are new.
Just this "better than Driveclub" rain alone it's worth it. Professional studios like Ployphony and Ployground should be fucking ashamed than ONE guy in his home does this stuff so much better than their teams with hundreds of people and millions.

Now this is the greatest looking game

FukuDaruma

Dude the game still needs to run at 60fps on a base PS4. What were you expecting?
So now we switch to that excuse... what does that have to do with the lighting being fucked up? People weren't pulling any punches when Forza Motorsport didn't have tonemapping in tunnels and they were dark as fuck. And with ALL reason, I was one of them and Forza Horizon already had that at that time.

I wouldn't be so harsh if this were the PS4 version, but this game was supposed to be a visual showcase for 'next-gen', 'raytracing', etc. in the PS5 version. After all those years, they barely washed GT Sport's face.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So now we switch to that excuse... what does that have to do with the lighting being fucked up? People weren't pulling any punches when Forza Motorsport didn't have tonemapping in tunnels and they were dark as fuck. And with ALL reason, I was one of them and Forza Horizon already had that at that time.

I wouldn't be so harsh is this were the PS4 version, but this game was supposed to be an visual showcase for 'next-gen', 'raytracing', etc. in the PS5 version. After all those years, they barely washed GT Sport's face.
There is no excuse at all… GTS was the best looking racing game on consoles last gen… GT7 will probably be the best looking one this generation.

Top Bottom