• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

nikos

Looking forward to GT7 as much as the next guy. I own pretty much every racing game in this space, be it full sim, simcade, even arcade. I have an annual iRacing subscription and full sim rig.

Having spent a lot of time in each game, no experience comes close to Assetto Corsa with mods. CSP and Sol alone change the game completely, and those mods are each made by one person. Freeroam tracks like Shutoko Revival Project, LA Canyons, etc. (there are lots) combined with traffic and online lobbies turn it into a completely different game. I've spent over 100 hours just cruising those tracks with people, not even racing. No need to talk about the actual racing, the physics and FFB are fantastic and there are many sites/leagues that have their own rating and ranking systems.

I have no doubt GT7 will be an incredible experience, but I'm not sure anything is going to come to close to what Assetto Corsa can provide. There's endless content available for it thanks to its supportive community.

BlackM1st

Banned
GT7 is a xgen joke. Again.

Sport was... Ummm... It wasn't a proper GT that's for sure.

It was "popular"? Who gives a fuck? I'm not playing in sales numbers.

POLYPHONY lost its way since PS3 Prologue. They're lagging behind and constantly releasing "an OK game" and it takes ungodly amount of time.

They're just incapable of releasing a 1 fully next-gen game in time.

When will GT8 release? How much different it will be from GT7? What a joke.

Sebmugi

I don't know about that. Haven't seen anything like that in FH5, but I'm playing on PC.

Those low res reflections, updating at half the framerate are just as bad as GT Sport, but one generation and 4 years later...
Well I decided to show it to you for comparison.. FH5 on XBOX Series X

Forza vista mode

1644392284-08-02-2022-22-17-05-uowq2j0j-resultat.jpg

Ingame

1644392288-08-02-2022-22-17-05-gqrmf02t-resultat.jpg

FukuDaruma

There is no excuse at all… GTS was the best looking racing game on consoles last gen… GT7 will probably be the best looking one this generation.

I'm too tired now to post some myself, but I bet tomorrow you're gonna have plenty of examples of which was "the best looking racing game on consoles last gen".

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
GT7 is a xgen joke. Again.

Sport was... Ummm... It wasn't a proper GT that's for sure.

It was "popular"? Who gives a fuck? I'm not playing in sales numbers.

POLYPHONY lost its way since PS3 Prologue. They're lagging behind and constantly releasing "an OK game" and it takes ungodly amount of time.

They're just incapable of releasing a 1 fully next-gen game in time.

When will GT8 release? How much different it will be from GT7? What a joke.
I disagree. It seems like they put a lot of love and car culture into GT7. It's like they thought of almost everything there is to simulation racing, it just screams quality

Sebmugi

Looks really good. Is Forza Vista a photomode though? Does it have increased fidelity compared to regular gameplay?

Genuinely asking because I haven't played FH5.

the forza vista mode is the best modeled version of the stationary car and adds ray tracing, but the reflections of the vegetation is a disaster in the same way as the gameplay ^^^

Inviusx

the forza vista mode is the best modeled version of the stationary car and adds ray tracing, but the reflections of the vegetation is a disaster in the same way as the gameplay ^^^

Ok, so essentially your pics are the absolute best case scenario for ray traced reflections in FH5? That's a bit disappointing to be honest I would have expected more.

Last edited:

TBiddy

If I had to score them on looks

Cars: GT7
Environments: FH5
Lighting: GT7
Weather: GT7

I agree on the lighting (and environments), but that's about it. The cars are hit and miss on both sides.

Also, things will definitely change when GT7 is actually release, and we'll see more than the cherrypicked bullshots from Sony (just as when FH5 released).

Last edited:

Sebmugi

Ok, so essentially your pics are the absolute best case scenario for ray traced reflections in FH5? That's a bit disappointing to be honest I would have expected more.
it works especially for the reflections of the car on itself, example in my screen for the mirrors which are reflected in the glass..

Darsxx82

Weather: FH5
Fix

FH5 Weather is visually better, It is more varied, with more effects and impact on elements of the environment. Adding that it works as different biomes at the same time.

From there, I think they are games that bet on different things and therefore it is normal that they put more emphasis on some things than on others. Personally, I have a predilection for the beautiful natural views that FH offers and I place a lot of value on the level of interaction, detail and texturing for an open world. But there is no denying that GT7 is still top when it comes to rendering cars and ambient light coupled with unrivaled replays.

We will see how FM8 turns out as a NextGen game and with 5 years of development. Turn 10 has to show that it hasn't been left behind by PG and PD, which is the feeling that is beginning to take hold.

Magik85

When it comes to weather, IMO both Ride 4 and Driveclub are the best visually.
But technicly PCARS2 is doing awesome stuff.
All tracks featuring not only dynamic TOD and weather, but also different seasons.
Wet track is also on different level. Dynamic puddles are upsetting cars handling and its really important to avoid it.
Also drying line is fully dynamic. Its not always "the optimal line". Ive tested it by driving alone using some unusual line and the track started to form dry line exactly where i drove.
Theres alot under the hood.

Weather: GT7
The difference is 9 years between this GT and the last one vs 3 years between FH4 & 5.

Forza is open world and is still one of the most beautiful games made, it has over a hundred more cars on launch. I’d personally say I value Forzas take on car culture over the monotone circuit racing of GT.

The fact that an open world game made in 3 years can be so closely compared to a game made over 9 years with less cars says a lot though and can’t be ignored.

That said, the next Motorsport will have had 4-5 years development time so I fully expect that to blow GT right out of the water.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The difference is 9 years between this GT and the last one vs 3 years between FH4 & 5.

Forza is open world and is still one of the most beautiful games made, it has over a hundred more cars on launch. I’d personally say I value Forzas take on car culture over the monotone circuit racing of GT.

The fact that an open world game made in 3 years can be so closely compared to a game made over 9 years with less cars says a lot though and can’t be ignored.

That said, the next Motorsport will have had 4-5 years development time so I fully expect that to blow GT right out of the water.
Playground is a well oiled machine no doubt but we must also factor in another studio, Turn 10 which works on the game as well. With that said, I think Forza Horizon games are good fun, I think they put more into looking festive and the fun side whereas GT is trying to be the most realistic thing next to driving an actual car

We'll see how Forza Motorsport 8 is looking this year probably

Emet_bp

True, but... cars for Forza games are made by 2 teams (Playground and T10) + outsourcing.
There are more cars but many of them are recycled from X360 Forza games (some models are taken almostg straight from Forza Motorsport 2, but with some little twaeks to polycount and added interiors). Compare quality of the car models, shaders, details etc. It's a whole different league
On the other hand envirioments overall look better in Forza Horizon 5 and even FH4. In GT7 as we can see some tracks look really great (especially for a 60fps game), but others... look almost like they were taken from the PS3.
But again.. keep in mind that every Forza Horizon game aims for 30fps in it's best setting and 30fps for base system (pop-n and loss in detail and shaders in 60fps mode on the Series S and X in FH5 is quite huge), where Gran Turismo is 60fps on every system.
In the end, GT7's problem again is the inconsistency.... In GT5 there were nice tracks and cars and at the same time PS2 taken cars and tracks.
Now in GT7 we have only PS5-qaulity car models, but again better and a lot worse looking tracks in the same game.

Cherrypepsi

That night racing looks to me what I remember from Shift 2 back on X360, I know rose tinted glasses and all that.

Alright I went on youtube, and yeah, no... Sorry

It's true that it's not really a graphics showcase but it's the closest to sim racing you will get on a console, imo.

FukuDaruma

True, while I was researching if I was talking from my ass I came across this:

Dayum, that's some adrenaline shit.

That looks great for that era. Love the camera effects with the shaking, the looking into apex, etc. that gives a great sense of speed and "being inside a real racing car". Neither GT nor Forzas are that good in that aspect.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Stated many times before....ACC is a totally different focus than GT7. ACC...racing simulator...GT7 car enthusiast simulator.

That said...the more people that are aware of ACC on console with the added ps5 upgrade...the better. This game needs way more attention.
Why does this matter in a thread about graphics??

Neo_game

So now we switch to that excuse... what does that have to do with the lighting being fucked up? People weren't pulling any punches when Forza Motorsport didn't have tonemapping in tunnels and they were dark as fuck. And with ALL reason, I was one of them and Forza Horizon already had that at that time.

I wouldn't be so harsh if this were the PS4 version, but this game was supposed to be a visual showcase for 'next-gen', 'raytracing', etc. in the PS5 version. After all those years, they barely washed GT Sport's face.

If PS4 is going to be 1080P 60fps the PS5 version is just running the same game at 4K and Pro something in between . So I would say there is not going to be much difference in gfx. This is a PS4 game after all 🤷‍♂️

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If PS4 is going to be 1080P 60fps the PS5 version is just running the same game at 4K and Pro something in between . So I would say there is not going to be much difference in gfx. This is a PS4 game after all 🤷‍♂️
Sony could easily push up tons of PS4 assets to make look more like a PS5 game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sure, dude. Look, here your pal Kaz was using a "user made" lighting too. :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_ok:

Then there's the amazing windshield rain:
eqlfdcf.png

Which sure beats this 'garbage': :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And environments, effects:
loJb4cW.png

IeKgniv.png

How great and 'next gen' :messenger_tears_of_joy: 🤦‍♂️ , unlike this 'garbage' made with 1/100th of the resources:

This is a few guys at home modding a 2014 game from a tiny independent studio. Polyphony is a big studio with THREE HUNDRED employees and a budget of more than $100 MILLION.

The sound alone wipes the floor with GT. Your GT worship only shows you don't know much else.

It's 4 years after GT Sport and it's been 8 years since GT6. Turning a blind eye to all GT7 disappointing problems and shortcomings is just pure fanboyism.

The most impressive thing about modded AC is the fact that mirrors work like actual mirrors and you can see your own car body work (it's not perfect but it's almost there). I don't get why big budget games can't duplicate this effect:

UaG8nBM.png

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
The most impressive thing about modded AC is the fact that mirrors work like actual mirrors and you can see your own car body work (it's not perfect but it's almost there). I don't get why big budget games can't duplicate this effect:

UaG8nBM.png
Its such a small detail but adds so much to the realism. There are 2 reasons why its not in other games, performance and visibility. People will complain that they can't see a thing in the mirrors, whish it was a option in every game.
Assetto-Corsa-8-02-2022-20-13-59.jpg

Assetto-Corsa-25-07-2021-2-19-50.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Its such a small detail but adds so much to the realism. There are 2 reasons why its not in other games, performance and visibility. People will complain that they can't see a thing in the mirrors, whish it was a option in every game.
Assetto-Corsa-8-02-2022-20-13-59.jpg

Assetto-Corsa-25-07-2021-2-19-50.jpg

Yeah, I get the performance argument on consoles but on PC they should at least give us an option. When I'm playing a driving SIMULATOR I want to be bloody immersed in it.

Last edited:
There is no excuse at all… GTS was the best looking racing game on consoles last gen… GT7 will probably be the best looking one this generation.
In replays it was. FM7 looked comparable, and FH4 clearly looked better during actual gameplay.

From what we've seen so far, there's almost no chance GT7 ever holds the title of "best looking racing game" for any period of time, as FH5 already looks better.

ethomaz

Banned
In replays it was. FM7 looked comparable, and FH4 clearly looked better during actual gameplay.

From what we've seen so far, there's almost no chance GT7 ever holds the title of "best looking racing game" for any period of time, as FH5 already looks better.
Replay, gameplay, Scapes, etc looks better on GTS.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Replay, gameplay, Scapes, etc looks better on GTS.

So when DF favours your game they are all correct but if the outcome is not how you like it they are paid shill right? That comparison was flawed as hell the moment John started saying that the photomode and gameplay in GTS are identical. How many time do we have to do this 🤷‍♂️

time stamped 2:51

the reality
gameplay
8fEnCVQ.jpg

photomode
dKc7qZd.jpg

gameplay
kytk49A.jpg

photomode
VXokwcJ.jpg

Last edited:

Schmick

Firstly how can you make this claim and secondly i sure hope its not. Its a cross gen game. We have FM8 around the corner. A next gen only game. And I hope GT8 (which of course will be next only too) will arrive later in the gen.

I'll put it this way... if GT7 is in fact the best looking this gen then we have a problem and we'll need to reassess our expectations this gen.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So when DF favours your game they are all correct but if the outcome is not how you like it they are paid shill right? That comparison was flawed as hell the moment John started saying that the photomode and gameplay in GTS are identical. How many time do we have to do this 🤷‍♂️

the reality
gameplay
8fEnCVQ.jpg

photomode
dKc7qZd.jpg

gameplay
kytk49A.jpg

photomode
VXokwcJ.jpg

The biggest differences between gameplay and replay in GTS are DOF, motion blur and camera angle.

Replay in cockpit view is even 60fps like gameplay.

Turk1993

The biggest differences between gameplay and replay in GTS are DOF, motion blur and camera angle.

Replay in cockpit view is even 60fps like gameplay.
No Ethomaz, the biggest difference is car lods, draw distance, water shaders, shadow quality, environment quality, 4K image (8k downsampled), 16xAF and added reflections. you cannot unsee those things in the screens i posted, its clear as crystal. You tryna downplay the difference between gameplay and photomode as always but its literally GTS vs GT7 level difference.

ethomaz

Banned
No Ethomaz, the biggest difference is car lods, draw distance, water shaders, shadow quality, environment quality, 4K image (8k downsampled), 16xAF and added reflections. you cannot unsee those things in the screens i posted, its clear as crystal. You tryna downplay the difference between gameplay and photomode as always but its literally GTS vs GT7 level difference.
I have the game on PS4.
The difference are these I said.

The IQ is basically the same… in fact even framerate is the same in Replay at cockpit view.

Edit - In the past I explained how the replay runs on PS4 and PS4 Pro for example:

Last edited:

Turk1993

I have the game on PS4.
The difference are these I said.

The IQ is basically the same… in fact even framerate is the same in Replay at cockpit view.
I have the game on PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 so what? Do you have a special PS4 that runs the game in photomode in game or something :messenger_tears_of_joy: . You try your hardest to unsee it but keep trying man, maybe you need bigger tv or glasses. Go to a eye doctor im not joking, If you can't see the difference between the images above than you have a serious problem.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

the reality
gameplay
8fEnCVQ.jpg

photomode
dKc7qZd.jpg

gameplay
kytk49A.jpg

photomode
VXokwcJ.jpg

Grass, AO/shadows, aliasing are the more screaming differences. Also the LoD on the interior of the cars...

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I have the game on PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 so what? Do you have a special PS4 that runs the game in photomode in game or something :messenger_tears_of_joy: . You try your hardest to unsee it but keep trying man, maybe you need bigger tv or glasses. Go to a eye doctor im not joking, If you can't see the difference between the images above than you have a serious problem.
Photomode are different from Replay.
You said replay vs gameplay.

Photomode has additional camera filters, supersampling, lower LOD level, etc.

If the camera angle made it different for you in Replay vs Gameplay it is on you… technically they are the similar with FOV and motion blur.

I will post pics tomorrow if you wish but I remember you posting bullshots F7/FH4 from PC saying it was Xbox One X lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom