• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Vegetation in FH2 looks pretty flat. I guess it is less noticeable in motion. Definitely something I appreciate in DC is that there is generally a distinct lack of 2d objects.

Durante

Going by his pics, it looks like the AF function isn't even being turned on.
No, I think that would be even more blurry. If I had to guess, I'd say both of them have AF, and neither of them has 16xAF ;)

If you mean in the Control Panel, I should check that, but the ingame option sure was checked. Maybe the option is not working as intended in the GUI at the moment. I just reported it in the forum. I'm sorry any misundertanding my post has created. Will post pictures once I have an answer.
No problem, I just wanted to point out that there's something off there. You could try driver-level global forcing of the filtering, that usually works.

shandy706

Vegetation in FH2 looks pretty flat. I guess it is less noticeable in motion. Definitely something I appreciate in DC is that there is generally a distinct lack of 2d objects.

Nothing I took a picture of is a 2D "object". I stated I made sure everything pictured was a 3D plant with limbs/leaves/branches in multiple directions ;). If you think leaves/grass has an actual thickness to it in either game, outside of just branching off in different directions, then you're 100% mistaken ;).

Both games generally have a "distinct lack of 2D objects" within a certain LOD.

Yeah, the palms trees are superior in FH2. They're actually rather ugly in DC for some reason, even up close, lol.
But they are very different species : the ones in Driveclub I'm pretty sure are Jubaea chilensis and are actually pretty similar to their rapresentation in the game, while the ones in FH are probably Chamaerops humilis, that is common in all Italy (Igot one in my garden)

benzy

But they are very different species : the ones in Driveclub I'm pretty sure are Jubaea chilensis and are actually pretty similar to their rapresentation in the game, while the ones in FH are probably Chamaerops humilis, that is common in all Italy (Igot one in my garden)

You're right, I googled jubaea chilensis and the trunks actually do have a really soft texture quality to them.

4459875.jpg

shandy706

It seems both games use accurate foliage.

I looked up Italian Pines...and heck if they don't look just like some of the freaky ones in Horizon.

Glad to see they're not some random tree generator stuff.

The IQ in Driveclub is really not that great. Can't wait for the photo mode though. That thread will be insane.

The LOD drops off insanely fast from the looks of some shots too. Aperture and shutter speed will be put to good use. The trees seem to drop off an LOD cliff after just couple hundred feet in front of the car (just going by those shots obviously).

jet1911

Uhh no.

The textures are not bad at all. Nothing is blurry it's because in motion there's a strong motion blur at work but in stills they look crisp.

Here
iYCawJaXZJUqZ.jpg

i1UxHRrAAqy3U.jpg

i3JmfyIGNPMDB.jpg

The game needs the photo mode update asap.

The IQ in Driveclub is really not that great. Can't wait for the photo mode though. That thread will be insane.

For a while I was wondering how come we weren't being inundated with DC photos. I was surprised to see that the game launched without a photomode.

_machine

Yeah, but unfortunately at the moment it's quite a trade-off when it comes to IQ or new lighting techniques. It's great to see FH2 do the forward+ rendering as it allows them to catch on some the missing stuff they haven't had properly (ToD, better weather effects, etc) and the IQ is just fantastic as well as alpha effects, but on the other hand the deferred rendering that DC does allows them to do more stuff when it comes to lights and the dynamic GI. It's also a reason why I wouldn't personally compare them so closely together on certain singular aspects because they both have their own strengths and weaknesses and look fantastic, but that's just me.

paskowitz

I love how we all compare racing games, the one game where you are almost never stationary, with screen shots. While these games do have a photo mode it usually has added filters and processing.

In other words, more gifs and videos please.

Conduit

Banned
Do these satisfy you?
Forza Horizon 2 WET
i1YPTsdv2F6ko.gif

2557854-fh2+wreck.gif

Driveclub WET
2628021-7015855492-Excel.gif

Let me know if the Horizon 2 gifs are good enough because i googled all of them and the above one's are the best i can get off google. If there are other better looking rain/wet gifs of Horizon 2 around please feel free to post them.

Even with those better FH2 wet gifs still not good DC wet gifs. DC is so much better. It is in vain to make comparisons.

MilkyJoe

Even with those better FH2 wet gifs still not good DC wet gifs. DC is so much better. It is in vain to make comparisons.

It is, as is comparing them as like for like, you may as well be comparing two FPSs, both are car games, it ends there. I would be surprised if you could cerate a game that looks like DC with the open world size of FH2, on any current platform. Console wars aside, DC art direction, for want of a better phrase, really does not suit the mood of FH2, it too gloomy for the upbeat theme of the game.

Shaneus

It is, as is comparing them as like for like, you may as well be comparing two FPSs, both are car games, it ends there. I would be surprised if you could cerate a game that looks like DC with the open world size of FH2, on any current platform. Console wars aside, DC art direction, for want of a better phrase, really does not suit the mood of FH2, it too gloomy for the upbeat theme of the game.
In terms of features, yes. But we're comparing purely aesthetics here, of which Horizon 2 and Driveclub are not off-limits in comparison to PC simulators like Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2. But given this is a console comparison thread, it's perfectly fine to compare the two.

jet1911

Is this thread really using gifs to compare games graphical settings?

Really?

It helps hide the IQ flaws in the Driveclub gif. The weather does look better in DC though. Wet asphalt looks like wet asphalt instead of the weird ice-like looking asphalt in Horizon 2.

Jamesways

I love this thread.

We're all pretty spoiled to be nitpicking about the quality of textures on the bark of palm trees.

Can you imagine how racing games are going to look near the end of this gen?
Hopeful for a beautiful Dirt 4 and next gen F1.

Milestone lost the WRC license so we'll see how Kylotonn Entertainment handles it.

I just realized that really has nothing to do with the graphic debate of which game is better so uh...

DC and FH2 have better vegetation than MotoGP14!

There.

vrln

Neo Member
Yeah, but unfortunately at the moment it's quite a trade-off when it comes to IQ or new lighting techniques. It's great to see FH2 do the forward+ rendering as it allows them to catch on some the missing stuff they haven't had properly (ToD, better weather effects, etc) and the IQ is just fantastic as well as alpha effects, but on the other hand the deferred rendering that DC does allows them to do more stuff when it comes to lights and the dynamic GI. It's also a reason why I wouldn't personally compare them so closely together on certain singular aspects because they both have their own strengths and weaknesses and look fantastic, but that's just me.

Great post! I think you just summed up the entire situation with modern graphics engines (= mostly deferred renderers these days). Nothing comes for free. In the grand scheme of things it´s a choice between IQ (MSAA on a forward+ or similar renderer) or more advanced lighting (deferred renderer with cheap post processing AA). FH2 goes for IQ and DC goes for lighting. It´s as simple as that. Different priorities. Texturing, geometry complexity, draw distance, effects and other things are what should be compared as it´s pretty obvious which ones take home the IQ and lighting areas. No amount of temporal/post processing AA trickery is competitive with 4X MSAA and no forward renderer can compete with global illumination either.

Personally I´m a sucker for IQ over lighting so to me FH2 is the most impressive current generation game technically so far. It combines the ultra-clean image with superb texturing, draw distance and a high polygon count like no other game I´ve seen on consoles.

goonergaz

I've never quite understood the Forza>GT comments in the graphics department and likewise FH2>DC comments. Whilst I don't claim to be an expert (and am obviously missing something!) GT/DC have always looked more realistic to me ergo better.

It's not that the Forza games don't look very nice, it's just I'd rather things look more realistic.

Big question is what can T10 do with Forward+ given the 1080/60fps they've commited to?

I've never quite understood the Forza>GT comments in the graphics department and likewise FH2>DC comments. Whilst I don't claim to be an expert (and am obviously missing something!) GT/DC have always looked more realistic to me ergo better.

It's not that the Forza games don't look very nice, it's just I'd rather things look more realistic.

The realistic look is fantastic but in GT's case the frame rate suffered too much and I found it annoying to unplayable.

p3tran

Banned
Is this thread really using gifs to compare games graphical settings?

Really?

makes sense, no?

;D

anyway, those who have both games, they basically know whats up.
other people, they can argue about gifs (even of unreleased features) until the end of time.

a racing game gets judged by me in graphics primarily in things like fluidity and clarity in order to be efficient. at least thats how I judge.
fundamentals precede. because thats what matters for my enjoyment.
and in these things these games are ..not equal.

but here the talk seems to be shifting at ...flora, and with one game using that flora only for non-interactive, out-of-reach-background decoration.
I guess this is exactly what they mean when they say "you look at the tree and miss the forest..."

also, I have to ask those people that praise the lighting (and they do have the game, of course. no gif bullshit conclusions)... are you praising from a ...viewers perspective, or from the player perspective?
are you happy with most of tod (time of day) conditions when playing? dont you get mad when your visibility is decreased because they deliberately chose to over desaturate/deilluminate?
I mean, after playing driveclub extensively, jumping back to horizon really made me appreciate how in this game, you still get the variety of tod, but under all conditions, your visibility is not really botched.
and you know what? before someone (who probably doesnt even have a driving license) claims that to not see shit "this is realistic", I will say that this is not realistic at all.
the way luminosity works at driveclub, is like a video camera would record.
but the human eye, especially the racing drivers eye, when going full throttle and faced with bad visibility conditions, is not a camera. brain puts them pupils and rods and cons in the retina to work, and either you get better visibility through processing, or you slow down/stop. thats how it works. but try slowing down in dc, and you know what happens.

FM6 better have variable time of day, night, and weather or there will be riots.
first you play forza5, then you declare what 6 needs

goonergaz

I will say that this is not realistic at all.
but the human eye, especially the racing drivers eye, when going full throttle and faced with bad visibility conditions, is not a camera. brain puts them pupils and rods and cons in the retina to work, and either you get better visibility through processing, or you slow down/stop. thats how it works.

I sort of see what you're saying but unless you race for real I think it's hard to be 100% if it's realistic or not - for me I know coming our of a tunnel into bright sunlight can be blinding, I wonder if squinting is something that helps this and the game (or lighting engine) needs to somehow replicate this human action?

le-seb

GAF's greatest Forza fan has spoken, ladies and gentlemen!

It's really fun to see you calling out DC lighting for being unrealistic, the kind only cameras would see but not human eyes, when in the same time FM5 makes so much use of lens flare and unrealistic blinding sun conditions.

lol

Jamesways

Oh I've played FM5. Have a good friend who's letting me play through FH2 on his Xbox One as well.
I think the feel and handling in FM5 is incredible. And the lighting on the Ring is simply fantastic too.

I'm just saying many Turn 10 fans (myself included) will not be happy if FM6 doesn't offer time of day and weather. You see the threads each release, they're one of the most requested things every iteration, besides tracks.

Edit- sorry p3tran, I started with a ps4 this gen, never had a ps3 last one, but did go through 5 360s. But I guess that makes me a Sony Pony/Forza hater now by default now, right?
Can't enjoy games on both, have to choose a camp?

Sure.

I'll probably pick up a One sometime soon. FH2 is too good to not. Excited for Fm6.

At least in DC you can adjust the TOD and lighting.

shandy706

Handling/racing wise I prefer the Forza series now. I was once an avid fan of GT. Wheel, pedals, everything. It's absolute BS that I can't use my $500+ Playseat setup to freaking play F5 and FH2.

However, I do agree with the Forza 6 MUST have weather/TOD changes...or at least...the ability to select the TOD and Weather in custom races....even if it is set during the race.

The series has surpassed certain aspects of the competition while remaining behind in others. I didn't slight F5 as it had to make launch, but now Playground and Turn 10 have a weather system in place. I expect F6 to be epic! Hopefully they deliver.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I mean, after playing driveclub extensively, jumping back to horizon really made me appreciate how in this game, you still get the variety of tod, but under all conditions, your visibility is not really botched.
and you know what? before someone (who probably doesnt even have a driving license) claims that to not see shit "this is realistic", I will say that this is not realistic at all.
but the human eye, especially the racing drivers eye, when going full throttle and faced with bad visibility conditions, is not a camera. brain puts them pupils and rods and cons in the retina to work, and either you get better visibility through processing, or you slow down/stop. thats how it works. but try slowing down in dc, and you know what happens.

Dude, what are you even talking about. You talk about retinas, rods, cones and the human brain, like you even have half a clue about how these things actually work and how they process visual information.

I get that you have your preferences, but don't just spew nonsense to try to make a point.

_machine

I find it quite weird that you claim FH2 to look more realistic when it's clear they've gone for a more stylized look and while that's OK and the games can still compared on which looks better in the end, but an argument of which is more realistic feels likea dead-end when it's quite universally agreed that they are going for a stylized look. I mean ever DF agreed on that:
These lighting decisions seem like a stylistic choice designed to give Forza Horizon a distinctive look that sits in between the pastel vibrancy of arcade racers and muted tones of driving games aiming for absolute realism. It's a look that gives the game a slightly casual feel without completely losing the authenticity you'd expect to find in more serious racing games, although not without creating a slightly surreal appearance in common with a stylised car commercial.
I still think both games are absolutely stunning and go for two totally different looks, but off course this a thread that's half war so I don't expect to sway anyone into any opinion.

Jamesways

Handling/racing wise I prefer the Forza series now. I was once an avid fan of GT. Wheel, pedals, everything. It's absolute BS that I can't use my $500+ Playseat setup to freaking play F5 and FH2.

However, I do agree with the Forza 6 MUST have weather/TOD changes...or at least...the ability to select the TOD and Weather in custom races....even if it is set during the race.

The series has surpassed certain aspects of the competition while remaining behind in others. I didn't slight F5 as it had to make launch, but now Playground and Turn 10 have a weather system in place. I expect F6 to be epic! Hopefully they deliver.

Getting off topic a bit, but I was really surprised by the handling in Fm5. I enjoyed how cars handled in 4, but man, 5 just feels so good, even better than 4. The rumble in the triggers is such a huge addition too.

I totally agree with you that now the expectations of 6 are quite high. pCARS will be interesting to see those missing features in a sim while still running at 60fps. I have high hopes for the handling too. Competition is good, keeps both PD and Turn10 striving to make bigger, better games.

I'm sure Turn 10 has grand plans for 6, and I'm hopeful it won't disappoint. 5 is a great base to expand on.

The wheel issue is depressing on both systems.

Game4life

Banned

It's really fun to see you calling out DC lighting for being unrealistic, the kind only cameras would see but not human eyes, when in the same time FM5 makes so much use of lens flare and unrealistic blinding sun conditions.

lol

Yup. Always fun to see what lengths people with console allegiances can go to put out some really dumb arguments.

I would stay away from using the DC wet gifs to compare them for now, considering it's still a work in progress. Won't be surprised if they had to tone it down.

Note that I have a PS4 and Driveclub and love the game like a son I never had. Just felt that it would end up as underwhelming as the jagged mess Driveclub can be at times. On the plus note the cloud system is fantastic, driving is fun, and sometimes it can look so goddamned realistic at times. Pity about the aliasing and server issues :(

p3tran

Banned

It's really fun to see you calling out DC lightning for being unrealistic, the kind only cameras would see but not human eyes, when in the same time FM5 makes so much use of lens flare and unrealistic blinding sun conditions.

lol

OR

"its really fun" seeing the same people that were ridiculing forza 5 for the two turns it had with intense sun flare, just eating it up now on much worse conditions, where there is no good visibility not only for a turn, but maybe even for a couple of full rounds...
and not only in direct sunlight (which is ..understandable you might say?) but also in covered sun conditions too.

also, let me correct you on this: I am primarily a racing games fan!
for example, eventhough I havent played dc for the last two days, I am probably higher level than you there .... faster too. ;)

Jamesways said:
Oh I've played FM5. Have a good friend who's letting me play through FH2 on his Xbox One as well.
I think the feel and handling in FM5 is incredible. And the lighting on the Ring is simply fantastic too.

I'm just saying many Turn 10 fans (myself included) will not be happy if FM6 doesn't offer time of day and weather. You see the threads each release, they're one of the most requested things every iteration, besides tracks.

t10/ms spun out the franchise to an entire company (first class company too) in order to cater to gfx whores and more casual players.
I think they are focused in what to do next.

Handling you say you witnessed what they did. Good. so let them improve further.
its not like the book of car simulation is written and done with. still lots to do in my opinion.

Then there is image quality and shaders, where I think they can improve more. more laser scanned tracks, more cars, more options, more precision.
I would put all of the above waaaaay before tod and other superficial things in motorsport.

also, you must keep in mind that they dont have a problem doing ...lights. they know how to make it.
what they have problem with -just like polyphony- is finding a way to shoehorn as much of their tech inside these stupid consoles, while maintaining some (greatly appreciated) standards.
but then again, without those stupid consoles, i dont think that either t10 or polyphony would exist and create what they create.

if you are a forza fan (or i can even say a racing fan), I suggest you stop bugging your fiend and go get yourself a bone ;)
you know they have not one but two forzas out already, both of them worth it,
and you know they have built a great ...games factory for racing games, putting out top tier products every year or so...

Getting off topic a bit, but I was really surprised by the handling in Fm5. I enjoyed how cars handled in 4, but man, 5 just feels so good, even better than 4. The rumble in the triggers is such a huge addition too.
do yourself a favor my friend, and find a way to try playing f5 (and h2 as a matter of fact) with the steering wheel. even if you choose sim settings on the pad, there is relly no comparison.
when using joypad, forza (for the sake of playability) still has some assists that are not like this when using the wheel. ;)

le-seb

OR

"its really fun" seeing the same people that were ridiculing forza 5 for the two turns it had with intense sun flare, just eating it up now on much worse conditions, where there is no good visibility not only for a turn, but maybe even for a couple of full rounds...
and not only in direct sunlight (which is ..understandable you might say?) but also in covered sun conditions too.
Why would I care about what other people think or have said about Forza?

You're the one bringing some stupid arguments about DC lighting not being what the eyes see, and being unnaturally blinding, and I'm just throwing them back in your face, because FM5 obviously features the same kind of shit.

also, let me correct you on this: I am primarily a racing games fan!
Is it incompatible with being GAF's greatest Forza fan and a bit blinded by your preferences?
Obviously not, as you can see you've already been proven wrong here.

for example, eventhough I havent played dc for the last two days, I am probably higher level than you there .... faster too. ;)
Pissing contest, now?

Does it hurt you that playing a game at my own pace, being bad at it (but still loving it) and being slower than you doesn't prevent me from having an opinion on how shitty some of your arguments are?

And LOL again at weather and time of day being superficial in the racing games genre.
I'm sure that next year, if they're finally included in FM6, we'll see you telling everywhere that it's the best thing since penicillin.

Wouldn't call weather and tod superficial if i'm honest.
And you'd be right. It definitely changes things, from small things like different set dressing and lighting on the tracks (festive lights turn on along houses at the side of the road, fireworks light up the sky, docked ships cast their lights, etc) to the more direct game-changers, like shrouding the road in darkness or dealing with the sun's glare.

Forza has always gotten ribbed for its heavy duty sun glare specifically because of its static driving conditions - so the sun is meant to be an obstacle at times, as well as to bring out the best shadows across the track. The difference with DC is that it does vary, so its a moving spectrum of difficulty and look and feel.

And since we're speaking of Forza, their priority above all seems to be 60fps. Whatever they add to the game in Forza 6 will have to be something that never upsets that framerate otherwise its just not worth doing. I don't think we can expect DriveClub levels of weather and lighting, but some more variation, definitely.

p3tran

Banned
I find it quite weird that you claim FH2 to look more realistic when it's clear they've gone for a more stylized look and while that's OK and the games can still compared on which looks better in the end, but an argument of which is more realistic feels likea dead-end when it's quite universally agreed that they are going for a stylized look. I mean ever DF agreed on that

thats not what I said.
here is what I said:

<< I mean, after playing driveclub extensively, jumping back to horizon really made me appreciate how in this game, you still get the variety of tod, but under all conditions, your visibility is not really botched. >>

I can elaborate on this, but I think its pretty self-explanatory. and in my opinion, its a gameplay thing primarily, then a graphics thing.
unless of course someone believes that xbone cannot ..desaturate/deilluminate the screen?

what I said about h2 gfx qualities, is that it certainly is more fluid and more clear than driveclub.
now, and since you put it that way, is it possible that a racing game that is less fluid and less clear, is at the same time more ..realistic? I guess for some/many it ..might be. not for me though.
especially if the more fluid and clear game of the two, also sports better control, physics, sounds etc.

and about df, excuse me if I dont pay too much attention in what they say in general, let alone what they have to say about racing games... did they do a full analysis on dc yet?

Journey

Banned

That Gif of DC looks fantastic, the angle, the time of day and position of the light source is simply perfect. It's the perfect Gif. That being said, I don't think FH2 has anything to compete against it. DC is graphically superior of course, but unless you compare equal conditions, FH2 has no chance.

This is more or less the right time of day, with the light source at the horizon and not creating too much orange, keeping the white balance on the cool side, then add a little rain and you're almost there :p

rplVvr.jpg

Edit:

Here's one with a little rain with lighting hitting from a similar angle:

GetPhoto.ashx

Top Bottom