• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does FH2 let you change the time of day in single races? I've only played championship stuff and they seem to be fixed. Seems like a no brainer when you have dynamic lighting.

I think that would be a bad idea. As it stands because all races are set to a certain time of day there is no advantage for other people on the leaderboards due to visibility.

I hope that makes sense because I know my lap times are faster during bright day light.

eso76

Pretty sure Driveclub doesn't reflect mountains outside the tunnel on the road inside the tunnel.

Also because the road inside the tunnel shouldn't be wet. Or not THAT wet anyway.

And YT makes it hard to judge, but trackside detail has nothing on Driveclub to be honest..

shandy706

yuck.gif
driveclub_20141013143sadfb.jpg

Funky

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)

lol, have to agree. Not to say it always looks that bad, as in motion the game looks nice most of the time. However, shots like that aren't helping Driveclub's case for "best graphics by far!!!"

(not my shots) from the project cars community:

GBmbNr3.jpg

AO7fqxA.jpg

I think that would be a bad idea. As it stands because all races are set to a certain time of day there is no advantage for other people on the leaderboards due to visibility.

I hope that makes sense because I know my lap times are faster during bright day light.

But the weather's dynamic? So it can rain at any time affecting some players and not others.

benzy

My issue (just like p3tran I guess) isn't that there is a visibility problem, I'm perfectly fine with that and it's actually awesome that it works as well as it does. My issue is that by just restarting the race, I get very different visibility conditions depending on how the clouds have moved. When doing time trials, I expect the exact same conditions from one attempt to the next one. I know some people will say that it's that way in real life rally events (or ski or whatever), but I disagree with that. I understand that random stuff can happen in real life, but in a video game this pesky things shouldn't be an issue.

I think p3tran's complaint is that he has visibility problems so he blames the lighting and says it's unrealistic. :p

But about the game's dynamic cloud cover, I agree, it'd be nice if Evo gave us an optional setting somewhere in the general menu to replicate the exact same conditions during every race restart. I was sort of expecting it for the restarts anyway, considering it's a restart. :\

I think p3tran's complaint is that he has visibility problems so he blames the lighting and says it's unrealistic. :p

But about the game's dynamic cloud cover, I agree, it'd be nice if Evo gave us an optional setting somewhere in the general menu to replicate the exact same conditions during every race restart. I was sort of expecting it for the restarts anyway, considering it's a restart. :\

I don't know if Evo can do that from the way they have designed the cloud system, and I'm also going to assume it will be the same for rain/snow because you set a precipitation percentage which I guess is for the likelihood of rain rather than exactly when the rain will fall and for how long.

No it doesn't because rain isn't even implemented yet :D
I think the rain footage we've seen of DC look better than the PCars rain footage.

Looks damn impressive in PCars, but DC is the only racer we've seen so far this gen where rain beads up the hood/wind-shield.

It's a small touch, but it makes all the difference.

My problem with it is that it's very dark when it wouldn't be in real life. And my complaint isn't "this arcade game isn't realistic enough boo hoo", but that I find it hard to see when I really shouldn't.

The game's lighting is very impressive. And Evo has done whatever it takes to show off how dynamic it is. But our eyes deal with dynamic lighting by trying to keep things bright enough for us to see - so when we go into the shadow of a hill our eyes adjust and things seem as bright.

In Driveclub I find the darkness of the image changing depending which way I am pointing. So the car may be in the shadow of a hill and enter the corner and things are bright enough, but the car turns around the corner and suddenly the bottom half of the screen is very dark.

It's like we get twighlight driving conditions even in the middle of the day depending on sky condition/direction of view. This is definitely a marmite thing - it seems to only bother a few of us. But it bothers me not from an artistic, technical or realism standpoint at all - but from a complete playability one. For whatever reason I just find it impossible to play because of this issue, and despite the games myriad other flaws, I'd play it a heck of a lot more if I could see.

Synth

The weather effects shown for Driveclub are definitely better than those in Project Cars, much like the lighting system also is. However actually playing Driveclub on my screen, the game never, ever looks better than PCars to me (not even close) as it's let down in pretty much every other area of IQ (aliasing, texturing, LOD pop-in, framerate etc). I'm not expecting the weather effects to have the same impact when I'm playing, compared to the gifs we've seen, as nothing else in the game has so far compared to all the gifs that have been floating about.

The framerate thing is really weird as well. According to DF it's locked perfectly at 30fps like Horizon 2 is, but when I go from playing one to playing the other, the difference in motion is huge. Is it simply because of differences in motion blur? Because Driveclub's locked 30fps doesn't feel very smooth at all.

The framerate thing is really weird as well. According to DF it's locked perfectly at 30fps like Horizon 2 is, but when I go from playing one to playing the other, the difference in motion is huge. Is it simply because of differences in motion blur? Because Driveclub's locked 30fps doesn't feel very smooth at all.

I agree, Horizon 2 definitely feels smoother.

Pjsprojects

Wonder when the weather will get patched in on Driveclub?

See all the adverts showing rain but none in the game, want to see it side by side with Forza rain.

Haha, at least one person agrees with me :)
I have a video that shows it a bit: http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_driveclub_cloudcover_insanity-33212_en.html

Such a wonderful thing to finally have clouds ;). All the game needs though is to be able to manually switch on your headlights for when it gets *really* dark, just like in real life. Also, this video would have been prettier if motion steering was used, the analog to digital to analog conversion ruins the immersion. ;)

le-seb

Your FH2 excerpt looks compressed as hell, which doesn't help defending its case.
But it's pretty clear that both the lighting and weather effects in DC are top-notch and set the bar very high.

Forza looks a bit shit there, even more so when directly compared to DC.

Don't know if it's the chase cam or what but it's so bare. I stick to cockpit and not used to seeing the game from that angle.

Fixing the contrast would probably help too.

Skyzard

Banned

holy fuckin shit

Was majorly disappointed after watching that.

I'm big on PC. I'm big on racing games. But Drive Club's weather effects demolish everything I've seen including that video...am I missing something?

Also something on this page is wrecking my pc. -damnit chrome, firefox handles it fine.

--just realised it's quite an old quote and the weather patch was more recent.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
bigassgif
The source if anyone's interested: http://youtu.be/G9hUgxN--Tk
PCars with dynamic weather looks amazing, can't wait until it's done, still some weird bits here and there.

Sorry for the length of this one, but if you skip through there are some amazing shots when the sun starts going down.

http://youtu.be/lKW0Kb953HE
Is that like, from the latest build?

I remember being impressed by how the rain looked in PC, but having played DC I must say that looks not-so-hot in comparison. (To my eyes, don't kill me bruhs)

le-seb

PCars with dynamic weather looks amazing, can't wait until it's done, still some weird bits here and there.
Is that the latest build?
No wonder it's been delayed, it's full of glitches.

And not that hot, I'm afraid to tell you.
I can't see the generational gap I would have expected from what GT6 achieves today.
And hell, I know it's 30 fps, but DC shits all over Project Cars in the lighting and weather effects departments.

After DC, I am not impressed. At all.
Many textures look flat (not done with material shaders).
The raindrops are fixed little images.
There is no motion blur, and there is frequent track-side pop-in
When raining the wipers just remove the fixed droplets which also fade out magically
There is no difference on the windscreen between driving fast and stopped.
The light seems simplistic: headlights or sun, with no refraction or bounce.

Honestly the graphics vs driveclub look like they are a generation behind. Seriously.

Yes you get 60fps and other advantages of being on a PC that can be built to be as fast as you like -- but that just accelerates the crap image to whatever frame-rate or whatever resolution, rather than increasing realism.

Sipheren

Banned
The source if anyone's interested: http://youtu.be/G9hUgxN--Tk

Is that like, from the latest build?

I remember being impressed by how the rain looked in PC, but having played DC I must say that looks not-so-hot in comparison. (To my eyes, don't kill me bruhs)

It is, it looks very cool, but I think some cars/tracks may be better. The rain on the window needs work but I love the water on the track and all the reflections.

I imagine it's only going to get better, there is still a lot time left (the rain drops on the window did change a while back).

Is that the latest build?
No wonder it's been delayed, it's full of glitches.

And not that hot, I'm afraid to tell you.
I can't see the generational gap I would have expected from what GT6 achieves today.
And hell, I know it's 30 fps, but DC shits all over Project Cars in the lighting and weather effects departments.

As said above, I think some tracks are better than others, I'll do another with a track that had more progress (I mainly race Laguna and Bathurst).

When raining the wipers just remove the fixed droplets which also fade out magically
There is no motion blur
There is no difference on the windscreen between driving fast and stopped.

Yes you get 60fps and other advantages of being on a PC that can be built to be as fast as you like -- but that just accelerates the crap image to whatever frame-rate or whatever resolution, rather than increasing realism.

Couple of things to note, I have motion blur turned down because I hate it, the rain drops are being moved by the wipers but the wipers don't move in all views, still being worked on. When you pick up speed the rain streaks on the window, again, only in some views, I need to do another I think.

The big thing for this game are the physics, it feels amazing to drive, so I guess to me (and the devs) getting the driving right is first of foremost, graphic fidelity after.

Drive Clubs rain driving is amazing, they did a very good job on that.

Gestault

Currently wringing my hands in anticipation of some up-to-date Driveclub content. The bar for dynamic weather has been set. Benzy, you know what to do.

Top Bottom