• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Votron

Need for speed Most Wanted U (Wii U)
need-for-speed-most-wanted-cars-2013-need-for-speed--most-wanted-u-review-digital-trends-reviews.jpg

NFSMW_Wii_U_TV_Screen_Shot_2.jpg

Bobnob

Anything below Forza's 60fps would'nt be taken seriously by any of the numerous sim racer's that i know imo.

Driveclub/Pcars
Chalk/Cheese

Nozem

60 fps are for gaming elitists and people who prefers to be proud of their gaming machine instead of having fun.

FH2, DC and PGR4, as I always say, have proven already that 60 fps is not necessary for the game.

As long as the game can be loved and controlled as it actually is, the problem is the player, and not the game.

This is dumb. FPS directly affects gameplay, so if anything, 60fps purists advocate gameplay over graphics.

Caayn

What does DC look like outside photomode? Because I have a feeling all I'm seeing are lies.
driveclubnormalcaayn3bs9i.png

driveclubphoto2caayn4lsnr.png

Jup, looks totally the same as during gameplay... The weather "improves" IQ by smearing the screen with a giant vaseline filter made out of water. Without weather that the game suddenly looks completely different.

Photo mode improves the shadows and massively improves the IQ. So I don't understand why folks are posting photo mode DC shots as if they are what people are actually going to get when playing the game.

dude404

I have project cars and am not impressed by it's visuals thus far. It is a game where it's engine is based on NFS shift from last gen and it shows. It may have good IQ, but it lacks some current gen techniques used in recently release games.

nkarafo

Jup, looks totally the same as during gameplay... The weather "improves" IQ by smearing the screen with a giant vaseline filter made out of water. Without weather that the game suddenly looks completely different.

Photo mode improves the shadows and massively improves the IQ. So I don't understand why folks are posting photo mode DC shots as if they are what people are actually going to get when playing the game.
Ok these two shots don't look as good as most in this thread. Certainly not the best looking racing game if its like this. And the motion blur effect while it runs looks horrible. Gotta mask those 30fps somehow i guess... :/

Is this why everyone posts rain effects? These look wonderful, yes.

Dilly

Banned
Considering pCARS is a crowdfunded game and DriveClub is a first party game from Sony, I'd say it holds up pretty damn well.

psn

Let's be honest. 60fps are very nice, but racing is not the most fps demanding genre.

I play on a 144Hz monitor (120 with lightboost) and I can't go back to 60fps when playing counter strike or battlefield.

That said, Driveclub doesn't look like a 30 fps game and neither does FH2. I can enjoy it as much as I enjoy other racing games. The great motion blur used in Driveclub makes it seem like a 60fps game. The only downside is that Screenshots of a moving car sometimes looks weird because of the motion blur. It looks much better when you play it.

A 60fps game doesn't need that kind of motion blur and that's why you can't cap PCars at 30fps to compare it to the feeling when playing Driveclub. And I don't think PCars refreshes the input fast enough while playing at 30fps since it was never meant to run at 30.

nkarafo

60 fps are for gaming elitists and people who prefers to be proud of their gaming machine instead of having fun.
No, 60fps is for those who want fluid motion. Most PC gamers turn down graphics sliders in order to achieve a minimum of 60fps.

Dilly

Banned
A 60fps game doesn't need that kind of motion blur and that's why you can't cap PCars at 30fps to compare it to the feeling when playing Driveclub. And I don't think PCars refreshes the input fast enough while playing at 30fps since it was never meant to run at 30.

Physics engine runs seperately from the graphics engine.

Need for speed Most Wanted U (Wii U)

Looks clean but it was too much for the Wii U and 360 IMO. I bought it on Origin a few weeks ago when it was dirt cheap and it's actually playable.

Talking about framerate, 30 or 60 is fine for me as long as they're absolutely locked. Recently I've been playing Gran Turismo 6 and that suffers from slowdowns which are extremely annoying. Another I remember is F1 2009 on the Wii, which I had a lot of fun with. But at certain points on some tracks the framerate would slow to a crawl. Shame really, cos it was a good game.

CozMick

Banned
Agreed. Drive Club had to sacrifice a huge gameplay element to achieve it's graphical fidelity, whereas Project Cars looks just as good and at double the frame rate and potential to run at resolutions higher than 1080p on PC

1lgq0s.jpg

32fps and still looks like shit.

Framerate cant hide terrible visuals regardless of hardware.

psn

See the middle part of my last reply. Screenshots with camera movement don't represent the visuals you see when you play it. It has to mask it's 30fps somehow. Cherry picking Screenshots just to make a point is really weird.. It looks much much better in motion. And I could post 20 really bad looking Screenshots of PCars maxed out at 1080p just to make a point, too. If I'd have access to my steam library I would give you some great examples. PCars really looks like an upgraded version of NFS Shift just with higher poly count cars and resolution. Nothing revolutionary and it gets even worse if you consider that my PC is more than 4 times faster than my PS4. Still it has the worse lighting. No GI. No jaw dropping weather effects. It looked promising when I bought access to it in 2012. But I really expect more on a machine that is 4 times faster (gpu wise, my i7 @4,2ghz might be more than 10 times faster)

Nozem

Energy conservation of PBR is great is for avoiding "glowing" cars like many "amazing" PCARS screenshots posted here have

How will PCARS people defend this?

I have many more observations to post.

That looks rediculous, those cars look so out of place.

Also, it's funny there's a Gran Turismo sticker on the 2nd car on the right.

That looks rediculous, those cars look so out of place.

Also, it's funny there's a Gran Turismo sticker on the 2nd car on the right.

Not too surprising since GT has sponsorship for quite a few racing series. So the cars connected to them tend to have windshield stickers for GT.

nkarafo

Considering pCARS runs on machines up to 5 times as powerful as a Ps4 and it still doesn't look as good as Driveclub...
Graphics don't get automatically better as you get better hardware. There is a cap. It can only look as good as its max settings will allow. If your PC is more powerful than that, it will still look the same, the only difference is that it will run it faster and/or with better screen resolution or antialiasing.

Mabufu

Banned
No, 60fps is for those who want fluid motion. Most PC gamers turn down graphics sliders in order to achieve a minimum of 60fps.

The trade off is not always worth. FPS > Graphics is an opinion and not a norm.

Also, I couldnt care less about what most people do.

What really pisses me off is that some of the '60 fps or bust' crew claims that 30 fps is unplayable even when there are games that proves them plainly wrong.
So, whats the point on defending the wrong? I tell you: pride.

But from outside, that pride doesnt look as something good.

nkarafo

The trade off is not always worth. FPS > Graphics is an opinion and not a norm.

Also, I couldnt care less about what most people do.

What really pisses me off is that some of the '60 fps or bust' crew claims that 30 fps is unplayable even when there are games that proves them plainly wrong.
So, whats the point on defending the wrong? I tell you: pride.

But from outside, that pride doesnt look as something good.
So you are saying that me, who can't play 30fps racers anymore, i'm doing this for pride? What if i told you that 30fps bother me and i can't have fun with some genres (not all) or can't enjoy their (superior) graphics if they run so slow? And what if i told you that i don't even have a good GFX card on my PC to show off so i'm limited to last gen racers that i can run @ 60fps?

Like i said, some people just prefer/want fluid motion out of some game genres. It has nothing to do with showing off or pride.

1lgq0s.jpg

32fps and still looks like shit.

Framerate cant hide terrible visuals regardless of hardware.

WTF, the whole trackside - spectators, trees, tents; even the skybox is fuck awful, what happened to this game? All money went into modelling cars and then they forgot they had to model tracks or something?

And those trees and those shadows - god damn, shameful.

Mabufu

Banned
So you are saying that me, who can't play 30fps racers anymore, i'm doing this for pride? What if i told you that 30fps bother me and i can't have fun with some genres (not all) or can't enjoy their (superior) graphics if they run so slow? And what if i told you that i don't even have a good GFX card on my PC to show off so i'm limited to last gen racers that i can run @ 60fps?

Like i said, some people just prefer/want fluid motion out of some game genres. It has nothing to do with showing off or pride.

I refuse to believe you (or anyone) cant play at 30 fps.

Caayn

See the middle part of my last reply. Screenshots with camera movement don't represent the visuals you see when you play it. It has to mask it's 30fps somehow. Cherry picking Screenshots just to make a point is really weird.. It looks much much better in motion. And I could post 20 really bad looking Screenshots of PCars maxed out at 1080p just to make a point, too. If I'd have access to my steam library I would give you some great examples. PCars really looks like an upgraded version of NFS Shift just with higher poly count cars and resolution. Nothing revolutionary and it gets even worse if you consider that my PC is more than 4 times faster than my PS4. Still it has the worse lighting. No GI. No jaw dropping weather effects. It looked promising when I bought access to it in 2012. But I really expect more on a machine that is 4 times faster (gpu wise, my i7 @4,2ghz might be more than 10 times faster)
Huh? Now you're just twisting things around. The shots I posted aren't cherry picked, the first shot is exactly how it shows up on your screen during normal gameplay. I selected a random track and drove till a random point and took those shots. Here's one more "cherry-picked" shot >.>

driveclubnormalcaaynnouwj.png

driveclubphoto2caaynrwu93.png

Some of you guys get way to defensive when talking about games. Just to make a few things clear I don't own Project Cars, I don't think DriveClub is ugly, I'm just pointing out that using photo mode as "just the same as gameplay shots" is bullshit.

CozMick

Banned
Huh? Now you're just twisting things around. The shots I posted aren't cherry picked, the first shot is exactly how it shows up on your screen during normal gameplay. I selected a random track and drove till a random point and took those shots. Here's one more "cherry-picked" shot >.>

http://abload.de/img/driveclubnormalcaaynnouwj.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/driveclubphoto2caaynrwu93.png[IMG]

Some of you guys get way to defensive when talking about games. Just to make a few things clear I don't own Project Cars, I don't think DriveClub is ugly, I'm just pointing out that using photo mode as "just the same as gameplay shots" is bullshit.[/QUOTE]

But using photo mode does let you produce "in-game" shots.

Just don't let the processing commence.

As a PC gamer I have no problems admitting to the fact that Driveclub looks far better visually speaking.

I agree. I've got a lot of PC sims and where they fail to capture any sort of realistic look is that they are so stark. Everything seems too crisp. Driveclub has quite a bit of "information" at the sides of the track in comparison. But they are mostly set on racing circuits, which don't have the most variety of scenery. At least I've seen some tracks in PCars that are on mountain roads and cities, which is good.

Hollow

60fps is preferable but not always necessary for every game or every genre.

I expect certain genres to have 60fps like fighting games but I've never thought it should a standard for racing unless you're playing a sim where the faster response rate improves the physics handling.

Arcade racers should be left up to the devs and how they think it should perform given the gameplay style.
That said I couldn't imagine playing Burnout or F-Zero at 30fps but I'm OK with games like Driveclub and NFS being that framerate.

wow this thread got ugly

also please stop posting photomode screenshots, it was stupid in gran turismo 5 and it is stupid here, driveclub looks fine in normal gameplay no need to bullshit people

Mabufu

Banned
I CAN play games @30 fps, i just CAN'T have much fun with them if they are fighting, racing, fps, fast paced action and platform games.

A lot of other people can definitely have a lot of fun with it.

So its not a fact. More like a problem on your end that doesnt apply to the others.

driveclubnormalcaaynnouwj.png

driveclubphoto2caaynrwu93.png

Some of you guys get way to defensive when talking about games. Just to make a few things clear I don't own Project Cars, I don't think DriveClub is ugly, I'm just pointing out that using photo mode as "just the same as gameplay shots" is bullshit.

you realize DCs AA is temporal right? and yes its possible to take screens at certain parts of certain tracks that dont look as good as others, but thats pretty standard for every game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...b-revisited-is-dynamic-weather-a-game-changer

"What's important to note is that DriveClub's AA is at its best in motion - stopping your car actually accentuates the game's aliasing issues."

nOoblet16

http://abload.de/img/driveclubnormalcaaynnouwj.png
http://abload.de/img/driveclubphoto2caaynrwu93.png

The pictures you are using are suffering with compression artifacts, the problems you see there are not caused from the game's visuals. Another thing to note when looking at unflattering screenshots is to compare them to other game's poor screenshots, if the other game still looks worse then you know which one is the worse out of the two. Clear daytime shots will always look less impressive than overcast rainy, stormy shots..not because of "blur" like some people here have pointed out that's ignorant, but because that's how it is in real life i.e. simple clear day time with no clouds and such looks....well simple. Compare how these simple shots in DC looks against the simple shots in PC, you will see that even here PC looks worse as it still looks very much like a game.

And lastly, about the photomode, what about this then??
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145289422&postcount=2382
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145149124&postcount=2220

I feel like this thread is going in circles. Someone posts PC shots, DC side accuses them of being photomode, PC side defends. DC side posts shots, PC side accuses of using photomode, DC side defends. Repeat.

benzy

We can cherry pick bad shots for all of the games in this thread all day everyday.

I can choose to only post the pics below and say FH2 actually looks this bland and/or blurry trying to imply that's how the game looks all the time, but that wouldn't be true would it?

Or say this is actually how bad pCars textures look but that also wouldn't be true right?

And also say yup, Forza 5 actually looks like this, but the game never looks this bad most of the time does it?

I think you could have at least chosen some much better in-game shots, which there are actually an abundance of, and not stoop to that level.

But here are some gameplay shots I took way before DC's photomode update even hit.

iwfibv.jpg

dxxoiv.jpg

unccgo.jpg

mgunnq.jpg

wkdudv.jpg

cfqobn.jpg

kgrjqp.jpg

And I've already given examples of the visual differences between a gameplay grab vs. what photomode does.

Massively improved image quality? Depends on how much aliasing there was on screen in the first place where the 5 types of AA used wasn't able to be applied on certain objects or light highlights. From my experience the AA in-game is rather great most of the time.

in-game
mswzuq.jpg

photomode
soetkn.jpg

nkarafo

A lot of other people can definitely have a lot of fun with it.
Sure.

So its not a fact. More like a problem on your end that doesnt apply to the others.
Source?

I mean, is there a poll that racing game fans did recently which shows how many prefer 60fps or not for racing games?

Are you counting hardcore racing games fans too? Or just casual?

Are you counting racing sims AND arcade ones?

Mabufu

Banned
DC have not the best IQ for sure. That is not debatable.

But IQ is not the only thing that matters on graphics.
Things like the huge ammount of terrain rendered on the game, the obsession with details, global illumination, and weather, totally compensates the poor IQ.

And not too many games gives that ammount of benefits in exchange of fps and IQ.
That's why DC blows the competition.

Things like the huge ammount of terrain rendered on the game, the obsession with details, global illumination, and weather, totally compensates the poor IQ.

And not too many games gives that ammount of benefits in exchange of fps and IQ.
that why DC blows the competition.

Indeed. The overall look is realistic.

That's why DC blows the competition.

the thing is, with how poorly pcars runs, DC actually has better IQ than non mgpu users are getting with pcars.

CozMick

Banned
How Evolution Studios managed to recreate realistic weather conditions via a patch without a single frame drop is crazy, mad props to them.

Afrikan

nice photos you chose there..

did you take them yourself?

edit- help me out here... you make it seem like you own the game... but your PSN profile doesn't show you have played it. Haven't went online with the game yet?

benzy

No console game is ever going to match a high-spec PC in terms of IQ, any game put on PC can/will have great IQ. I'm appalled it's even being considered in "fair" comparisons. If you put DC on PC then we can finally get to the meat of the discussion.

Mabufu

Banned
Source?

I mean, is there a poll that racing game fans did recently which shows how many prefer 60fps or not for racing games?

Are you counting hardcore racing games fans too? Or just casual?

Are you counting racing sims AND arcade ones?

Everyone prefers 60 fps, on every game.
I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about being unable to have fun at 30.
The only source I have for 'doesnt apply to others' is the fact that I have never heard of anyone with that problem before, and also the fact that people had a lot of fun with other 30 fps racing games, like the ones we all know by now.

So, as I've said, if you cant have fun with fun games, that's a problem.

No console game is ever going to match a high-spec PC in terms of IQ, any game put on PC can/will have great IQ. I'm appalled it's even being considered in "fair" comparisons. If you put DC on PC then we can finally get to the meat of the discussion.
Yes. But I was talking about consoles.
PCs are on another league so comparisons are never fair.

Kezen

Banned

I think that looks good still, materials are really nice.
Static images are never an accurate representation of how good a game can look anyway.

Or wait for PCars on the PS4 which is definitely going to happen.

Caayn

I'll say this one last time as apparently some people have a hard time reading my posts. I'm not making a statement that Game X looks better than Game Y, I find it funny and sad at the same time that people do seem to think so and feel the need to quickly grab everything they can to counter my posts.

And with that I take my leave from this thread as apparently you can't post anything about Driveclub without it being positive or else you'll get the Driveclub defense force chasing you...
But using photo mode does let you produce "in-game" shots.

Just don't let the processing commence.
Pcars is a next gen title, it has every right to be in this thread.
Oh for fucks sake.
you realize DCs AA is temporal right? and yes its possible to take screens at certain parts of certain tracks that dont look as good as others, but thats pretty standard for every game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...b-revisited-is-dynamic-weather-a-game-changer

"What's important to note is that DriveClub's AA is at its best in motion - stopping your car actually accentuates the game's aliasing issues."
I'll post it once again since people have a hard time reading! I only try to point out that's it isn't good use to use photo mode shots as "just as good gameplay shots". Nothing more nothing less.

And I posted two examples, one moving and one standing still what convenient that you somehow managed to only read to one with the still shots.
The pictures you are using are suffering with compression artifacts, the problems you see there are not caused from the game's visuals. Another thing to note when looking at unflattering screenshots is to compare them to other game's poor screenshots, if the other game still looks worse then you know which one is the worse out of the two. Clear daytime shots will always look less impressive than overcast rainy, stormy shots..not because of "blur" like some people here have pointed out that's ignorant, but because that's how it is in real life i.e. simple clear day time with no clouds and such looks....well simple. Compare how these simple shots in DC looks against the simple shots in PC, you will see that even here PC looks worse as it still looks very much like a game.

And lastly, about the photomode, what about this then??
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145149124&postcount=2220

I feel like this thread is going in circles. Someone posts PC shots, DC side accuses them of being photomode, PC side defends. DC side posts shots, PC side accuses of using photomode, DC side defends. Repeat.
How funny that you complain about compression on my shots when I post 3~4MB uncompressed PNGs taking with capture hardware but don't complain about compression when someone is posting compressed 500KB JPGs, and even use compressed shots as an example.

And those comparisons you linked too show aliasing in gameplay shots but don't show that in photo mode shots ;) Don't let the water splashes on the camera fool you.
We can cherry pick bad shots for all of the games in this thread all day everyday.

I can choose to only post the pics below and say FH2 actually looks this bland and/or blurry trying to imply that's how the game looks all the time, but that wouldn't be true would it?

Or say this is actually how bad pCars textures look but that also wouldn't be true right?

And also say yup, Forza 5 actually looks like this, but the game never looks this bad most of the time does it?

I think you could have at least chosen some much better in-game shots, which there are actually an abundance of, and not stoop to that level.

But here are some gameplay shots I took way before DC's photomode update even hit.

And I've already given examples of the visual differences between a gameplay grab vs. what photomode does.

Massively improved image quality? Depends on how much aliasing there was on screen in the first place where the 5 types of AA used wasn't able to be applied on certain objects or light highlights. From my experience the AA in-game is rather great most of the time.
Once again, I didn't cherry picked those shots. I picked a random track and drove to random point when the photo mode was added to the game. By the way you do realize that some of those shots you're using are mine right ;)
nice photos you chose there..

did you take them yourself?

edit- help me out here... you make it seem like you own the game... but your PSN profile doesn't show you have played it. Haven't went online with the game yet?
As a matter of fact yes I did.

I do own the game, strange my trophies should be visible for public view.

Top Bottom