• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

BPoole

What gameplay element was sacrificed? I haven't played any game with the sense of speed or control that driveclub has despite any frame rate on any console or my pc.

60fps is essential to racing games. Notice how every other game in this discussion is 60fps?

It's in the same group as fighters, character action games, and FPS. Drive Club aims to be more of a spectacle racer than it does actually being a good racing game.

VanWinkle

60fps is essential to racing games. Notice how every other game in this discussion is 60fps?

It's in the same group as fighters, character action games, and FPS. Drive Club aims to be more of a spectacle racer than it does actually being a good racing game.

No, it clearly isn't essential, or else nobody would be able to play (let alone love) games like DC, FH2, and PGR3/4.

Not essential to me.

Motorstorm PR was my favorite racing game last gen.
It's definitely more than a spectacle.

I'm having a ton of fun playing the game.

VanWinkle

if DC was also on pc, i suspect most, if not all of the warriors would be singing quite a different tune

That's because all the ways that pCARS looks better better than DC in are typical "PC version" ways, ie better AF, IQ, AA, etc. DC, however takes the genre forward graphically in much more substantial ways, like global illumination, insane amounts of geometry and detail in the environments, and dynamic weather that nobody else comes close to.

RefigeKru

Banned

Hmm. Nope.

Some of the most exhilarating and satisfying racing I've enjoyed in years, having nothing to do with the framerate.

benzy

Yeah, total bull when talking about racers. The physics engine in DC/FH2 is being refreshed at a much higher framerate than the graphical framerate, responsiveness in controls and button input can be just as precise as a 60fps racer. It's not the same as fighters and action games where the attack animations will obviously be delayed after a button press if they run at 30fps vs 60fps.

BPoole

No, it clearly isn't essential, or else nobody would be able to play (let alone love) games like DC, FH2, and PGR3/4.

Not essential to me.

Motorstorm PR was my favorite racing game last gen.
It's definitely more than a spectacle.

I'm having a ton of fun playing the game.

I'll say that "acceptable" is a relative term. To me, it is not acceptable. I want games to control and function as fluidly as possible, and Drive Club sacrificed that for a pretty coat of paint.

RefigeKru

Banned
I'll say that "acceptable" is a relative term. To me, it is not acceptable. I want games to control and function as fluidly as possible, and Drive Club sacrificed that for a pretty coat of paint.

I can't even imagine having difficulty driving in the game as a result of the controls.

But then I've always found myself enjoying racers/fps/games in general based on the content instead of some arbitrary framerate requirement. I can play 30+60, seeing how both are "acceptable" especially when consistently smooth as Driveclub/PGR4.

Did you find it difficult to drive or something?

scoobs

Forza Horizons 2 is my favorite racer since like... Gran Turismo 3. 60 fps is definitely not essential to everyone, i could care less as long as there aren't dropped frames that screw up the gameplay experience.

Agreed. Drive Club had to sacrifice a huge gameplay element to achieve it's graphical fidelity, whereas Project Cars looks just as good and at double the frame rate and potential to run at resolutions higher than 1080p on PC

Haha. Your agenda, it is palpable.

For fucks sake, the framerate doesn't dip below 30fps and it has an intense sense of speed. There is nothing wrong with the gameplay unless you take issue with the handling.

I bought a PS4 Day One and sold it for a $120 profit. I definitely stand by my decision considering the PS4 has yet to have an exclusive that I really want to play. Drive Club would be the closest, but I have my reserves about that game as well.

Looks like you haven't even played DC. Heh.

nkarafo

About the fact that 30fps is acceptable or not, i don't think any serious iRacing member/player would find 30 fps acceptable...

BPoole

I can't even imagine having difficulty driving in the game as a result of the controls.

But then I've always found myself enjoying racers/fps/games in general based on the content instead of some arbitrary framerate requirement. I can play 30+60, seeing how both are "acceptable" especially when consistently smooth as Driveclub/PGR4.

Did you find it difficult to drive or something?

It just feels off. Maybe it was just mixed with the overall feel of the game, but I have played a lot of racing games on PC (still need to get Assetto Corsa though) and have not had that jarring feel when I played them. I attributed it to the frame rate, since that was the most stand out difference between DC and games like Dirt, Grid, and Gran Turismo

BPoole

Haha. Your agenda, it is palpable.

For fucks sake, the framerate doesn't dip below 30fps and it has an intense sense of speed. There is nothing wrong with the gameplay unless you take issue with the handling.

Looks like you haven't even played DC. Heh.
I just said on the previous page that I played it this past weekend. This was at a friend's house. If you want to continue digging through my post history, you can find that I have expressed interest in buying Drive Club as well

nkarafo

It just feels off. Maybe it was just mixed with the overall feel of the game, but I have played a lot of racing games on PC (still need to get Assetto Corsa though) and have not had that jarring feel when I played them. I attributed it to the frame rate, since that was the most stand out difference between DC and games like Dirt, Grid, and Gran Turismo
I agree. I played a lot of 60+fps racing games and still play on my PC. Can't go back. 30 is simply not enough for the genre IMO.

Is iRacing still basically a Papyrus game in spirit? Or have those developers long left the industry?

I miss Papyrus.

Also, that MotoGP13 gif in the OP looks like real footage.

Fighting games stand on their own. When Street Fighter V was announced, no one was asking "Is it 60fps?". Why? Because it's a fighting game and it just is 60fps. You don't even need to ask. That doesn't stand for any other genre.

BPoole

Fighting games stand on their own. When Street Fighter V was announced, no one was asking "Is it 60fps?". Why? Because it's a fighting game and it just is 60fps. You don't even need to ask. That doesn't stand for any other genre.
You must have missed the outrage when DmC was confirmed at 30fps. Imagine if the next CoD decided it was going to be 30fps. People would go absolutely ape shit. We even saw DICE and Guerilla make their current gen games 60fps because that is what FPS players have come to expect.

I agree. I played a lot of 60+fps racing games and still play on my PC. Can't go back. 30 is simply not enough for the genre IMO.
It's funny. When I played a Forza 5 demo at Best Buy a few months back, I couldn't even tell it was 60fps. It felt the same as any racing game I've played(NFS, Motorstorm, FH, GT5, and now DC).

You must have missed the outrage when DmC was confirmed at 30fps. Imagine if the next CoD decided it was going to be 30fps. People would go absolutely ape shit. We even saw DICE and Guerilla make their current gen games 60fps because that is what FPS players have come to expect.

Killzone: SF's single player is mostly in a 30-40fps range. It runs uncapped, but not near 60fps. The multiplayer is where it's 60fps. And DMC just proves my point. Can you name the last major 30fps fighting game?

nkarafo

It's funny. When I played a Forza 5 demo at Best Buy a few months back, I couldn't even tell it was 60fps. It felt the same as any racing game I've played(NFS, Motorstorm, FH, GT5, and now DC).
The difference is there. If you can't see it, it might be a problem with the monitor/TV or your eyes (i hope not the later). I can always say when a game runs at 60 or 30fps because its, well, a staggering difference. There is also a noticeable difference between 60 and 100+ fps if you use the right monitor (one that goes beyond 60hz).

Anyway, crappy LCD monitors/TVs may have a lot of ghosting/blurring and visual lag issues that cause the difference to be less noticeable sometimes. On a good LCD or a CRT you can really feel the huge difference.

i struggle to remember if there has been a 30fps fighter.
Many 5th generation 3D fighters were 30fps. Thankfully the standards have been raised since. Can't say the same about the racing game standards unfortunately.

RefigeKru

Banned

Fair enough, what I imagine can mix people up with it is the braking distance and how well the cars handle in relation. My friend couldn't really manage it at first but ended up drifting perfectly somehow.

I'm a weirdo I suppose, I've always been a console kid and I started gaming on a PC (terrible one at that) and got pretty damn good at playing CS:Source and BF2 at sub 30 FPS hahaha. Until I upgraded many years and now I don't even have a console OR gaming PC. The FPS thing has never really got me since it's all about perception I suppose. A lot of my favourite racing games have been 30 fps because of how the games inherently control, PGR, MSR, Midnight Club, Motorstorm, Driveclub etc. But then I've poured insane amount of time into GT3+4. Many many days. I can definitely perceive the difference between 30+60, it just doesn't change anything to me.

But again, if the 30 does affect you I can't say shit - I just can't understand it.

adelante

i never said DC had perfect shadows, but all shadows being soft is a HUGE step forward from the flickering PCF style shadows in pcars(and these examples are the lowest lod shadow available, imagine how awful it looks in the distance). they are quite bad and in motion its even worse. and the hard shadow in DC on the windshield reflection is a corner case and is not replicated in the environment.

a tree canopy shadow will NEVER look hard edged like in pcars, that is a fact.

15916003495_1432e297e3_k.jpg

never
So it's canopy now? Lol. You said, and I quote:

shadows in real life are soft, especially the shadows being portrayed in these images. pcars shadows have no softness at all. it would be funny if it actually is using PCF. certainly wouldnt be surprising.

shadows actually never look like that. only shadows from the car are soft. the environment shadows all seem to be ps3 style PCF shadows. its even worse in motion too. these static images are doing it a lot of favors.

As far as I'm concerned, your argument has always been against PCars' shadows being hard and you've used Driveclub as example of getting it right, when I'm here to argue that DC is just as guilty by having a single soft quality on all their environment shadows too. As a counterargument, you've also over-generalized real-life shadows as being soft. To which I was baffled by.

And why do you keep saying PCF anyway when it's just a vague method of rendering shadows. Do you know it's used to render physically-correct soft shadows too? If you wanna say PS3-style shadows, just say exactly that.

I couldn't care less about PCars having incorrect shadows, and I very much PREFER DC's visuals to PCars but to hold the latter in such high regard when you there are other games that ACTUALLY does it better? Please.

Nope, it's not "essential" and I wish people would cut that out. It's fine if yiu personally don't like 30 FPS but let's not assume that it's something everyone cares for.

DC is definitely the best looking racer I've played and it's damn fun too (though I've only had a day with it).

BPoole

Killzone: SF's single player is mostly in a 30-40fps range. It runs uncapped, but not near 60fps. The multiplayer is where it's 60fps. And DMC just proves my point. Can you name the last major 30fps fighting game?

Right, in a competitive space, such as online MP in an FPS, 60fps is becoming more commonplace since more people are getting used to it.

And how does DMC prove your point? All the previous games were 60,and the newest one was 30fps on consoles and people were livid.

Bayonetta is 60, Ninja Gaiden is 60, MGR is 60, and all past DMC games were 60. God of War is not 60, because it values spectacle over game play, which is similar to what Drive Club does.

Sini

Energy conservation of PBR is great is for avoiding "glowing" cars like many "amazing" PCARS screenshots posted here have
How will PCARS people defend this?

I have many more observations to post.

vpance

Since the framerate debate comes up so often, I would love to see a friendly challenge to decide once and for all how much 60 FPS really matters. Well, at least among those on here. Like best lap time out of 10 on X track in PCars at 60 and 30 FPS. I don't own the game but it would be interesting to see the results from both camps.

I swear as much as I love 60 fps if I'm having fun with a game, I'm having fun.

Driveclub doesn't feel sluggish or slow. It's fun and it looks good. That's enough for me.

The difference is there. If you can't see it, it might be a problem with the monitor/TV or your eyes (i hope not the later). I can always say when a game runs at 60 or 30fps because its, well, a staggering difference. There is also a noticeable difference between 60 and 100+ fps if you use the right monitor (one that goes beyond 60hz).

Anyway, crappy LCD monitors/TVs may have a lot of ghosting/blurring and visual lag issues that cause the difference to be less noticeable sometimes. On a good LCD or a CRT you can really feel the huge difference.

Many 5th generation 3D fighters were 30fps. Thankfully the standards have been raised since. Can't say the same about the racing game standards unfortunately.
Well, when it comes to action and adventure games, I can tell. For example, I can tell with TLOU:R when switching between 60fps and 30fps.

Also, I remember playing Mario Kart 8 at a Target and I also couldn't tell it was 60fps. Maybe I just can't tell with racing games.

And how does DMC prove your point? All the previous games were 60,and the newest one was 30fps on consoles and people were livid.

Because it's a major character action game that isn't 60fps. That wouldn't happen with a major fighter. Even NetherRealm figured out how to get UE3 to support 60fps, because it's simply expected of the genre.

Bayonetta is 60, Ninja Gaiden is 60, MGR is 60, and all past DMC games were 60. God of War is not 60, because it values spectacle over game play, which is similar to what Drive Club does.

Would you say that Wonderful 101 is also a game that values spectacle over gameplay? Because its framerate is really no different than GoW.

23qwerty

Well, when it comes to action and adventure games, I can tell. For example, I can tell with TLOU:R when switching between 60fps and 30fps.

Also, I remember playing Mario Kart 8 at a Target and I also couldn't tell it was 60fps. Maybe I just can't tell with racing games.

Mainly because it's super easy to tell when you're rotating a camera around. With a racing game it's not as easy to tell because you're not rotating a camera when you're playing, especially when you've got good motion blur.
It's fairly easy to tell with Mario Kart 8 imo because they don't use any motion blur as far as I can recall.

benzy

Since the framerate debate comes up so often, I would love to see a friendly challenge to decide once and for all how much 60 FPS really matters. Well, at least among those on here. Like best lap time out of 10 on X track in PCars at 60 and 30 FPS. I don't own the game but it would be interesting to see the results from both camps.

It wouldn't be fair to compare the differences using a PC racer by merely switching between the two framerates considering the physics engine most likely wasn't designed for the 30fps compromise. There's no setting to refresh the physics engine at something like 3x 30fps to match the precision found in the 60fps setting.

There's a pretty clear difference between the handling response time in PGR2 and PGR4, both 30fps, with the latter having more hardware power used to improve the physics engine refresh rate.

Skyzard

Banned
PC needs a good looking racing game.

I'm sick of seeing these flat trees in 2014 and all of that low quality environment while we have crazy nice cars.

I need some dazzle.

Driveclub rain needs to be a standard.

-let's get some nice lighting while we're at it too.

nkarafo

DC and iRacing are about as opposite of driving games as you can get. But you already knew that, right?
What i'm saying is that Project Cars is a game that i believe a iRacing player would play in his fancy setup but i don't think DC would be acceptable, being locked at 30fps. These guys take their racing games seriously and if someone asked them if 60fps is "essential" they would most likely say yes.

For someone who plays racing games more casually, i guess it's not that big of an issue. For me it is though, even though i'm mostly a casual racing fan myself :/

Try this: Instead of looking straight ahead at the center of the screen, try to focus on the scenery that goes by fast near the edges of the screen as you get past it. In a 60fps racing game, the scenery moves smoothly, at 30fps there is an obvious judder.

So it's canopy now? Lol. You said, and I quote:

As far as I'm concerned, your argument has always been against PCars' shadows being hard and you've used Driveclub as example of getting it right, when I'm here to argue that DC is just as guilty by having a single soft quality on all their environment shadows too. As a counterargument, you've also over-generalized real-life shadows as being soft. To which I was baffled by.

And why do you keep saying PCF anyway when it's just a vague method of rendering shadows. Do you know it's used to render physically-correct soft shadows too? If you wanna say PS3-style shadows, just say exactly that.

I couldn't care less about PCars having incorrect shadows, and I very much PREFER DC's visuals to PCars but to hold the latter in such high regard when you there are other games that ACTUALLY does it better? Please.

in the original pic i was speaking about, the shadows shown were tree shadows. all shadows in reality will have SOME degree of softness. if you could provide an example showing a completely hard edged shadow(as seen in pcars) in real life i would like to see it.

WRT pcf, i specifically said ps3 style PCF. the pcars shadows are very similar to the cheap, low quality pcf shadows often used in the ps3 version of multiplatform titles.

KOHIPEET

Screw 60 fps. Driveclub' frame rate is stable, that's all I need. Go to Sinclair pass, set time around sunset, set heavy snow and try to drive. Even staying on the track is a difficult task after the sun sets. It's the most atmospheric racing game I've played. I love it, and I couldn't care less about it being less than 60 fps.

Mabufu

Banned
60 fps are for gaming elitists and people who prefers to be proud of their gaming machine instead of having fun.

FH2, DC and PGR4, as I always say, have proven already that 60 fps is not necessary for the game.

As long as the game can be loved and controlled as it actually is, the problem is the player, and not the game.

Top Bottom