• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

I think DC looks fantastic, but I'm also looking forward to Project Cars. And I wish I had an XB1 so I could play Forza Horizon 2. Also can't wait for that 90's Arcade Racer!

I'm such a weirdo.

Corine

me using an image posted by a supported of pcars to show off its graphics is cherry picking?

even using your screenshot which you claim is cherry picked to make DC look bad, lets compare

What's to compare Project Cars looks better there. Hell, Dirt 2 looks better on my PC than both those shots.

Boogdud

Console racing games will always suffer from the hardware ceiling. Drive Club will be stuck at that resolution with that image quality, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and LOD. Project Cars will have the long term advantage of just piling more shit on the engine and assets and making it as detailed as possible without any real limitation. Driving games almost always sacrifice AA, AF, and environment asset quality that you'll speed part in order to keep the framerate stable. In theory something like Project Cars could have crazy detailed environment assets that no system could reasonable run at 60fps, just for when systems exist that could.

All true, but the console versions of project cars are going to always look the same and I would be really surprised if it looks as good as driveclub. Honestly, PC isn't even remotely fair when comparing because it isn't a level playing field. Especially if you fast forward in time as tech becomes available.

What's to compare Project Cars looks better there. Hell, Dirt 2 looks better on my PC than both those shots.

You guys can't be serious. Those trees in cars look like something out of World of Warcraft.

Jamesways

I think DC looks fantastic, but I'm also looking forward to Project Cars. And I wish I had an XB1 so I could play Forza Horizon 2. Also can't wait for that 90's Arcade Racer!

I'm such a weirdo.

Ditto, all I know from these shots is I can't fucking wait to play pCARS on console. Been waiting for years and still extremely excited. I have and love DC, it looks and plays great, graphics are fantastic and the gameplay far exceeded my expectations for that PGR type itch. The weather effects are truly fantastic.

Honestly, pCARS is the game I've been dying to play for a long time. All these pics and nitpicking are so over my head, I guess I'm very easily impressed/pleased with graphics. I traded in the 360 for a ps4 in the spring, but was still playing Shift 1 dreaming of pCARS.

And I thought after all these years, Shift 1 still looked impressive.

So yeah, next gen, consistently blowing me away. FH2, looks and plays amazing. Fm5, terrific lighting on some stages. DC, seriously jaw dropping sometimes. pCARS should fit that graphics and gameplay bill just fine for me.

Great stuff on console, both a feast for the eyes and physics nuts soon.

orava

DC looks very nice but you can instantly tell that it's a game, especially in movement. It's more fantasy than real life. Caught in a landslide. No escape from reality.

VanWinkle

Driveclub looks like clay sculpted garbo especially when you stop and it doesn't have the motion blur covering it up.

1980526_10154904643825626_8155265904202173592_o.jpg

10830892_10154900071860626_7025746121849236732_o.jpg

10557722_10154900070140626_2728434558682199908_o.jpg

10468685_10154900069015626_3606153968714807071_o.jpg

1014919_10154900068795626_8839918148479042146_o.jpg

10848499_10154900068625626_8565691505552869330_o.jpg

10669219_10154831517820626_1531363578744291089_o.jpg

10636957_10154829395290626_1145104935286913322_o.jpg

Is it me or does DC rely on having bad/rainy weather too look spectacular? >.>

Its the fully dynamic nature of the game with the global illumination.
An average sunny day with dry roads just looks less spectacular than a sunset or sun peaking through the clouds after a heavy rain storm.

But thats true for pretty much every game. PCars also looks pretty dull when its regular sunny weather, as can be seen in previously posted screenshots.

An average sunny day with dry roads just looks less spectacular than a sunset or sun peaking through the clouds after a heavy rain storm.

But thats true for pretty much every game. PCars also looks pretty dull when its regular sunny weather, as can be seen in previously posted screenshots.
On the flip side, in DC when I have the weather set to "dynamic," I love when the sun finally peaks out from behind the clouds and this dreary, dark, and stormy world all of a sudden has that yellow glow lighting up the world filling it back up with color. It looks natural and it never fails to impress me.

orava

The regular sunny weather is hard to do well in games and it usually just end up looking very dull. But "reality is unrealistic" and i think pcars is going to be just fine.

http://a.pomf.se/egrrdc.webm

http://a.pomf.se/gknzlh.webm

http://a.pomf.se/nqioxh.webm (at the end)

Jedi2016

PCars does look good, but why don't we compare some gameplay shots instead of finely-tuned photo mode shots? It doesn't look quite so groundbreaking when you're just driving around.

Here's one of my own videos. Keep in mind Youtube compression is real. But it at least gives you an idea what the game looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIJL5bxW3_s

I think it's really impressive how they did they windscreen rain shaders/effect. It's not 100% obviously, but it's quite convincing and no other racer does it nearly as well imo.

I can't really remember that GT5/6 is like.. is it any better?

Jedi2016

But as I said earlier... play pCARS with the Oculus Rift, and it's a whole other level.
I can't get the game to run at acceptable levels on just one 1080p screen. The Rift is out of the question. And no, turning settings down isn't an option.. it's fuckin' PCars, for cryin' out loud. If it ain't pretty, it ain't PCars.

benzy

Yeah, so what's up with the lo-res screen space reflections in pCars considering it's on the PC platform?

Wow just amazing pics. Really shows Project Cars is on another level. I've never seen real time shots in racing game that good. Every other racing game needs a fake photomode to do shots that come close to that.

Nope it adds better AA, motion blur & Bokeh DoF + cosmetic filters, and also soft shadows. Either way it's not able to run those shots in real time and this thread is about real time graphics.

Real-time, in-game, no post processing/motion blur/extra AA/DOF/filter.

agtqwm.jpg

After post-processing

slmgnu.jpg

in-game
exbxhg.jpg

post-process
rqsftv.jpg

No photomode cam, gameplay captures.

gtcmdj.jpg

tatidr.jpg

i7-2600K, GTX-680. It's a PC game, remember. 60fps or bust. And right now, it's bust.

I've played both, and Driveclub does look better. These screenshots and videos don't do it justice.

Eh, 60fps or bust... yet Driveclubs 30fps is ok? lol yeaaaaaah

Play pCARS at 4K at 60fps on a 4K screen or 1080p on a Rift and get back to me. Night and day difference... and yes, that very much makes it a PC game ;)

Yeah, so what's up with the lo-res screen space reflections in pCars considering it's on the PC platform?

Real-time, in-game, no post processing/motion blur/extra AA/DOF/filter.

agtqwm.jpg

After post-processing

slmgnu.jpg

in-game
exbxhg.jpg

post-process
rqsftv.jpg

No photomode cam, gameplay captures.

gtcmdj.jpg

tatidr.jpg

wow photomode really does make it look like a completely different game.

Are there any non compress PC screens? Every time I come to the thread to check and see, they are always hyper compressed JPGs. Anyone got some saweeet pngs?

Jedi2016

Eh, 60fps or bust... yet Driveclubs 30fps is ok? lol yeaaaaaah

Play pCARS at 4K at 60fps on a 4K screen or 1080p on a Rift and get back to me. Night and day difference... and yes, that very much makes it a PC game ;)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you haven't actually played DC, have you?

Do you even have the game? Under the same lighting and on the same track, the game looks almost completely different.

I took the same car out onto the same track at mid day, the brightest point of the day, and it looks much more muted and realistic colour wise, instead of the bright, almost cartoony looking aesthetics.

Cool, did not know they were working on a Sega GT PC version.

It didn't really need proof, but DC destroys any other racing game. It's only 30fps, but it's far beyond the competition visually.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you haven't actually played DC, have you?

What gives you that impression? Cause I'm not clamoring all over it?

Nah, I've played the game... and I've had pCARS since WAY back... Do you own a Oculus Rift? Have you ever used one, and more importantly, experienced pCARS with one?

HTupolev

It doesn't supersample, it adds AA, that's about it.
It adds AA by supersampling, accumulating the samples as the progress bar fills.

Or, at least, it would be astounding if it didn't, considering:
1-How well-sampled the result seems, and
2-that everything else (photomode's DoF and MB) also produce samples by re-rendering the image.

BPoole

Driveclub ought to be disqualified for being 30fps right off the bat while still not looking as nice as PCars...

Agreed. Drive Club had to sacrifice a huge gameplay element to achieve it's graphical fidelity, whereas Project Cars looks just as good and at double the frame rate and potential to run at resolutions higher than 1080p on PC

OsirisBlack

Banned
Agreed. Drive Club had to sacrifice a huge gameplay element to achieve it's graphical fidelity, whereas Project Cars looks just as good and at double the frame rate and potential to run at resolutions higher than 1080p on PC

What gameplay element was sacrificed? I haven't played any game with the sense of speed or control that driveclub has despite any frame rate on any console or my pc.

Top Bottom