• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't shake the feel of 'generic samurai' with Takamaru even if he can shoot fireballs and lightning. While getting a character with a katana could be neat and the history is there I'm not feelin it. Far from the worst choice, but meh.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I still can't shake the feel of 'generic samurai' with Takamaru even if he can shoot fireballs and lightning. While getting a character with a katana could be neat and the history is there I'm not feelin it. Far from the worst choice, but meh.

I'm definitely interesting to see your top 10 choices so I can understand your opinion better.

Glad you asked, hadn't put together a list in a long time.

Ridley
Mewtwo
Dixie Kong
Paper Mario
Megaman

Waluigi
Isaac
6th Gen Pokemon
Tom Nook
Starfy

The top 5 are the main ones I care about, and Tom Nook and Starfy are personal favorites that don't have much of a shot at all.

shaowebb

My list of wants for roster are pretty short, but pretty adamant from me.

• Captain N (left field choice for this game)
  • Dark Samus
  • Lil Mac
  • Isaac (Golden Sun deserves playable this time)
  • Prince Fluff
  • Krystal (At least she'd play differently than the clones)

I get the feeling Groose will be an assist trophy with a catapult in this game and I hope for Metroid to give me a Skytown stage from Prime 3.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My list of wants for roster are pretty short, but pretty adamant from me.

• Captain N (left field choice for this game)
  • Dark Samus
  • Lil Mac
  • Isaac (Golden Sun deserves playable this time)
  • Prince Fluff
  • Krystal (At least she'd play differently than the clones)

I get the feeling Groose will be an assist trophy with a catapult in this game and I hope for Metroid to give me a Skytown stage from Prime 3.

I approved most of your characters.

qq more

Wouldn't hurt to give him a redesign like they did with Pit.

Ridley
Mewtwo
Dixie Kong
Paper Mario
Megaman

Waluigi
Isaac
6th Gen Pokemon
Tom Nook
Starfy

The top 5 are the main ones I care about, and Tom Nook and Starfy are personal favorites that don't have much of a shot at all.
KK Slider should be the AC fighter, just sayin'!

Like the wishlist though. High five for Mega Man, Mewtwo, Ridley and Waluigi!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Ridley
Mewtwo
Dixie Kong
Paper Mario
Megaman

Waluigi
Isaac
6th Gen Pokemon
Tom Nook
Starfy

I really want Tom Nook to be playable character in Brawl but right now I gave up hope for him since Animal Crossing creator said that they are pacifist so they have no chance to be in the game.

I think Starfy has more of a shot than people give him credit for. IIRC, his games sold pretty well in both Japan and US. He might be a possibility, although I wouldn't say he's particularly likely. But other than new Pokemon I don't think anything is particularly likely at this point.

Also, I think people overestimate Krystals "differentiation" from the other space animals. Specifically because apparently having completely different A-moves isn't good enough to differentiate a character from one another (i.e. similar specials/final smash = clone).
It's not even sure that she would get her staff, since she only uses that in one game, and only for the tutorial. Otherwise, Fox has been using the staff more than her in the game it originates from, and ever since Adventure, she never has used her staff again.
I'd rather have FE Sacred Stones' Ephraim as a polearm user than Krystal, or any other polearm user from the FE series.

Ryce

Also, I think people overestimate Krystals "differentiation" from the other space animals. Specifically because apparently having completely different A-moves isn't good enough to differentiate a character from one another (i.e. similar specials/final smash = clone).
It's not even sure that she would get her staff, since she only uses that in one game, and only for the tutorial. Otherwise, Fox has been using the staff more than her in the game it originates from, and ever since Adventure, she never has used her staff again.
I'd rather have FE Sacred Stones' Ephraim as a polearm user than Krystal, or any other polearm user from the FE series.
Palutena's move set will probably heavily revolve around her staff. I'm confident a hypothetical Sakurai Krystal would have unique acrobatic normal attacks and a modified set of Fox's special moves.

Palutena's move set will probably heavily revolve around her staff. I'm confident a hypothetical Sakurai Krystal would have unique acrobatic normal attacks and a modified set of Fox's special moves.

I never played KIU, so I wouldn't know what Palutena's weapon in that game looks like. :p
I really should remedy that...

And yeah, I agree. But I don't think Sakurai will add Krystal.

My top 10 is weird and unlikely:

Scrafty (Pokémon)
Hades (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Agent J (Elite Beat Agents)
Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven series)
Fawful (M&L series)
Vaati/Groose (The Minish Cap & Skyward Sword; either would be fine)
Nowi (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Megaman Model A (Megaman ZX Advent)
Quote (Cave Story)

NMFried

So in a perfect world we'd get...

- Mewtwo, Roy, Pichu (Pichu in the form of Pichu bros.) back.
- Little Mac, Isaac, Shulk, Takamaru, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, and Krom as seemingly likely to be in.
- Paper Mario, Palutena, N, and Genesect as my personal choices.

Bayo and Ryu Hayabusa as Third Party characters.

Also, maybe a revamp of Yoshi's move-set after this new game?

qq more

My top 10 is weird and unlikely:

Scrafty (Pokémon)
Hades (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Agent J (Elite Beat Agents)
Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven series)
Fawful (M&L series)
Vaati/Groose (The Minish Cap & Skyward Sword; either would be fine)
Nowi (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Megaman Model A (Megaman ZX Advent)
Quote (Cave Story)

I'll murder someone if I have to hear Model A's obnoxious horrible voice ever again. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

GamerSoul

Starfy would be incredible. The assist trophy in Brawl was such a slap to the face.

Stafy, why did you even come here?

I chuckled. After seeing Starfy's AT in action I ask the same question.

I really want Tom Nook to be playable character in Brawl but right now I gave up hope for him since Animal Crossing creator said that they are pacifist so they have no chance to be in the game.

I never played AC, but after discussing him with Boss awhile back I wish Sakurai would considered again.

GamerSoul

If you don't know who Takamaru is, here's a quick chart I just made in Photoshop to illustrate his relationship to important Nintendo games/characters:

BgEv7w8.png

I just want Takamaru in for the sake of completion. I really wonder how iconic he'd have become had Nintendo localized Murasame Castle back in the day. He's easily the most significant retro character to not be playable in Smash Bros.

That's a cool way to look at it. Sakurai now has the chance to bring the other "sibling" character back. lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I chuckled. After seeing Starfy's AT in action I ask the same question.

I never played AC, but after discussing him with Boss awhile back I wish Sakurai would considered again.

I only played GameCube for like 30 minutes and send it back to BlockBuster long time ago. I just happened to like Tom Nook's moveset and concept that I saw in other forum during Brawl Era.

GamerSoul

I only played GameCube for like 30 minutes and send it back to BlockBuster long time ago. I just happened to like Tom Nook's moveset and concept that I saw in other forum during Brawl Era.

I think he would be a very unique character. And besides the guy is a business man, he CANT be a pacifists. He'll take your house AND your shoes AND exploit you for manual labor.

That's myself as well. The only other characters I want as much as Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy is Mega Man. Everything else after that is icing too as far as I am concerned.

I really want Syrup and Krom at this point, the rest will be a pleasant surprise. If Syrup's in, im a genius. If not, nobody cares. It's a win-win.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think he would be a very unique character. And besides the guy is a business man, he CANT be a pacifists. He'll take your house AND your shoes AND exploit you for manual labor.

I really want Syrup and Krom at this point, the rest will be a pleasant surprise. If Syrup's in, im a genius. If not, nobody cares. It's a win-win.

Indeed. I don't mind to see Syrup getting in despite that she have very extremely low chance. She is in same group with Laughing Dog from Duck Hunt.

This GIF is going to remind us how much hype E3 2013 will be.

pwnagesonicbrawlfastcw8.gif

Snakey

I would like to see Toad and Dixie Kong too, however, both of those characters are less likely than Ridley, Mega Man, Mewtwo, and Roy. To me, both of those two characters would be pleasant surprises.

Dixie Kong also has the problem that she (along with K. Rool) has not appeared in a game since 2008.

Toad could happen seeing as he is most likely the most popular Mario character that is not yet playable in Smash Bros. However, Sakurai's conservatism in regards to Peach (keeping him as one of Peach's specials) may be what keeps him out again this time.

GamerSoul

I care if she's not in, cause she's one of those characters I'd like to see. :<

Alright cool I'm not the only one. lol. We already have an ok idea of what characters are liekly so I want to see how many curve balls Sakurai will throw at us. The more the better, here's hoping Syrup maybe one of them. That's my stance on it.

Indeed. I don't mind to see Syrup getting in despite that she have very extremely low chance. She is in same group with Laughing Dog from Duck Hunt.

This GIF is going to remind us how much hype E3 2013 will be. This Gif was made after E3 2008.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac204/NeoGafFan/pwnagesonicbrawlfastcw8.gif

I think her chances are a tiny bit better. I can see her being introduced in a conversation for adding another Wario rep.

And Too early, stop trying to hype me up. lol. Feels good though to having a date for SOMETHING smash related.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
And Too early, stop trying to hype me up. lol. Feels good though to having a date for SOMETHING smash related.

Haha, Sorry. I'm little hyped that we are going to see three new games at E3. Plus I'm sure that they still have several surprise announcements for 3DS and Wii U. In few days, my hype will settle down and life would moving on.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
My smash waffles need Captain Syrup, my smash ego needs to be laughed at by the Duck Hunt Dog, and my smash internot needs to be more interawesome. To summarize: sticky drip, web enabled, duck mauler.

Oh yeah, throw in Takamura. Hopefully it increases the chance of The Mysterious Murasame Castle getting a sequel or at the very least getting a Virtual Console release outside of Japan.

GamerSoul

Haha, Sorry. I'm little hyped that we are going to see three new games at E3. Plus I'm sure that they still have several surprise announcements for 3DS and Wii U. In few days, my hype will settle down and life would moving on.

True, it's already a better E3 for that alone. AH whatever, can't help but feel alittle hyped, heh. I

I would like to see Toad and Dixie Kong too, however, both of those characters are less likely than Ridley, Mega Man, Mewtwo, and Roy. To me, both of those two characters would be pleasant surprises.

Dixie Kong also has the problem that she (along with K. Rool) has not appeared in a game since 2008.

Toad could happen seeing as he is most likely the most popular Mario character that is not yet playable in Smash Bros. However, Sakurai's conservatism in regards to Peach (keeping him as one of Peach's specials) may be what keeps him out again this time.

I'd like to see Toad and K. Rool. You've guys have sold me on K. Rool and Toad deserves it far more than let's say ...Waluigi. Heck i'd take Rosalina, Daisy, Bowser Jr over Waluigi.

Yea I've notice how conservative Sakurai is with his character move sets. In a way it can be a positive because instead of recreating characters, he probably took that time to add more characters. The question is will that remain the same.

My smash waffles need Captain Syrup, my smash ego needs to be laughed at by the Duck Hunt Dog, and my smash internot needs to be more interawesome. To summarize: sticky drip, web enabled, duck mauler.

Oh yeah, throw in Takamura. Hopefully it increases the chance of The Mysterious Murasame Castle getting a sequel or at the very least getting a Virtual Console release outside of Japan.

You sir have a way with words.

Snakey

The one re-occurring trend I see among the Smash Bros. fanbase is that a fanbase for a character can seem far, far larger than it actually is due to how loud his/her/its supporters are.

A much more prominent example in the past would be Geno. He is also the textbook definition of a bandwagon character.

Contemporary, the character that fits this description would be Waluigi. From how vocal and loud his supporters are, you would think he is the most supported Mario character, however, all the polls I have done about Mario newcomers show that his popularity is only on par with that of Toad and Paper Mario, it does not surpass it. In general, there is no favorite for a Mario newcomer.

Like I said, when I say things like this, it may may be unpopular, but I rather just speak my mind.

GamerSoul

The one re-occurring trend I see among the Smash Bros. fanbase is that a fanbase for a character can seem far, far larger than it actually is due to how loud his/her/its supporters are. This may make people disgruntled here when I say this, but for this thread Captain Syrup is an example of this. Outside this thread, I have not seen much support for this character. She seems to be mostly a pet for this NeoGAF thread.

I think every character fanbase has a different pulse depending on where you look. Since there are so few of us right now our opinions stand out a bit more. And this could be true for many places. Here it could be Syrup, Tingle and Waluigi and somewhere else it could be Mike Jones. Outside of what we collectively "think" the most likely candidates are, every person has their own favorites that we would like to see and that's also a part of the speculation. When things get crazier in the upcoming months we'll see if the trend continues and which character fanbases get louder. i doubt Syrup's will get louder though.

And I'm glad I already know that Syrup's chances are low and she literally has so few supporters here and anywhere else. I mean I looked to see where she stood among the fans lol. I'm ok with it and that doesn't change the fact I want her in. I'm gonna rock the the sweet avis til it's all over for one last ride. And when she's revealed as an AT ala Lyn I'll flip some tables but it's part of the fun. hah

Tingle doesn't have a gigantic fanbase in this thread, but many people recognize him as a very possible option for a new Zelda character beyond those we already have.

Most characters that are being suggested are only relevant to one game, if at all. Tingle, on the other hand, has had 2 full own games (Rosy Rupeeland - which is awesome btw - and the Balloon Fight clone), has been relevant to some degree in the games he was in, and of course is one of the most recognized characters (partly for all the wrong reasons). Plus, he's been an AT in Brawl and already made a cameo in Melee's Termina stage.
He's sitting in a very similar spot to Ridley, really.

I personally love the character because I actually played his game, and I would enjoy him being in the next game, and I also think that he is one of the most logical choices for a new Zelda character, but I don't think that his inclusion - just like with almost anything else - is particularly likely.

Weacro

Neo Member
I'd like to see the next super smash bros. Be more like the balanced Brawl mod. And what I really want is Nintendo to remove fox, and Falco, and and wolf's tank! I really at the tank. And add more original smashes for every character.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I'd like to see the next super smash bros. Be more like the balanced Brawl mod. And what I really want is Nintendo to remove fox, and Falco, and and wolf's tank! I really at the tank. And add more original smashes for every character.

Tank should just be it's own character. It's final smash can be an even bigger tank! Super Tank Bros with exciting tank on tank action!

Azure J

My top ten has begun to kinda conform over time into a few absolute wants (Top 3) and then casual "yeah, they'd be cool" picks:

1. Mike Jones (StarTropics)

It really might just be nostalgia alone that is pushing this vote along, but man, nostalgia is more than good enough talking about Smash. It'd be really nice to see a west centric pick get in to play the counter pick or dream matchup against a strictly eastern Retro draft pick. I still think playing up a Mike/Takamaru rivalry would be a fun nod. Also, if anything can bring out the best kind of attention to a sleeping/retired franchise with potential, it's a nod in Smash Bros.

Play style is another big reason I want to see him in, he's basically a '90s era, "all American" Saturday morning cartoon (think like Mighty Max or even Captain N) styled high school jock with a Indiana Jones kinda lifestyle to improvise from. Then again, maybe I just want to see a character with fast yo-yo trick based attacks and setups. Dem disjointed hit boxes. :p

2. Takamaru (Mystery at Murasame Castle)

My favorite of the de-facto retro requests right here. Another dormant but interesting franchise, another chance for a "quick draw/Iaijutsu" kind of sword play (r.i.p Lyn for Brawl movement) in the roster, and a strong recent surge of interest make him the closest to a no-brainer pick, but Nintendo is unpredictable at times. Here's hoping this time, we're on the mark though.

3. Megaman (Megaman)

Do I really even need to say anything?

4. Palutena
5. Medusa

6. Daisy

Mario Sports/Party/Kart rep; completes the Princesses by being the Luigi (her absolute opposite; tomboyish, nimble and a power hitter) to Peach's Mario (more feminine and dainty). She could also be the unofficial rep for the Super Mario Land series.

7. Captain Syrup

Could be there to give Wario Land more spotlight since Wario's definitely more Wario Ware in his current Smash incarnation. Could have her Maple Syrup Gang play like if Olimar's Pikmin were more about stealing or re-positioning things near herself for gimmicks. Hell, maybe she could go full on Doronjo (Tatsunoko vs. Capcom) with this idea.

8. Issac

9. Toad

I want to make a special note about Toad, I want him but only if they'll play him up as the mighty tiny striker like a mini version of Abel in Super Street Fighter 4 when he lifts, runs about and chucks at breakneck speeds. He should also throw bombs in reference to both SMB2USA and Wario's Woods.

10. Ridley

...oh shit, I forgot bout Little Mac again.

Not sure if I've voiced this before, but I want a Punch-Out stage that has a little gimmick like the Metal Gear and Starfox stage.

Basically if you're playing as Little Mac, Doc Louis will give you little pointers about all the characters.

Also...Final Smash = Giga Mac.

Giga Mac vs Giga Bowser. That's some shit I wanna see.

Snakey

What are the thoughts on Fire Emblem reps? Probably Marth and Chrom? I wouldn't mind seeing Ike back.

Marth, Roy, Ike, and Chrom are the ones that could get in. If its just Marth and Chrom, Chrom will probably take a lot of Ike's moveset (Chrom already has Aether and Quick Draw).

I'd say Marth is gonna stay for sure, not sure about the Ike/Roy/Chrom trio tho. I'm not convinced FE will get 3 characters, and each of these characters has a strong argument going for them.

I'd say Marth is gonna stay for sure, not sure about the Ike/Roy/Chrom trio tho. I'm not convinced FE will get 3 characters, and each of these characters has a strong argument going for them.

Yeah, the favorites have to be Marth and Chrom. Just based on the most recent FE's when the last couple games game out. Ike's was close on the GC, but he was in Brawl.

I actually really like Chrom, so would love to play as him again.

Roy: Was the recent lord in Melee, is one of the most requested characters to come back, was on the first GBA (and with that portable) game.

Ike: Was the recent lord in Brawl, introduced the FE series to 3D, plus he's basically the face of Fire Emblem in the West (the GBA games bombed pretty hard, but iirc the GC game was a huge success).

Both characters also are DLC for FE Awakening. Roy's re-design also was a huge hit from what I can tell, a lot of people seem to like it.

Chrom: Most recent lord during Smash 4, seems to be somewhat popular. Since he uses some of Ike's stuff, if he were to be included, Ike likely would get the axe, or he'd be a clone of Ike.

All 3 characters also appear in the teaser trailer for that MegaTen X FE game that has been announced, although the focus of the FE cast seemed to be Chrom.

Snakey

Ike: Was the recent lord in Brawl, introduced the FE series to 3D, plus he's basically the face of Fire Emblem in the West (the GBA games bombed pretty hard, but iirc the GC game was a huge success).

No, it was the other way around both in the US and Japan. FE9 and FE10 were among the only three games in the series in Japan to sell below 200K in Japan (the only other one being FE5). FE6 was the third-highest selling game in the series in Japan until FE13 was released. The other two GBA games sold really well in the West too.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Since Atlus is collaborating with Nintendo, what's the chance of an Atlus character getting in? I'm thinking Jack Frost. :p

Tingle doesn't have a gigantic fanbase in this thread, but many people recognize him as a very possible option for a new Zelda character beyond those we already have.

I still think Tingle should be his own series like Wario, since he's basically been written out of Zelda and the Tingle in the Tingle series is his own character compared to the Tingle in Zelda.

Since Atlus is collaborating with Nintendo, what's the chance of an Atlus character getting in? I'm thinking Jack Frost. :p

If I could have any ATLUS character who's been in a Nintendo (Monolith Soft to be precise)-developed game, I'd want Haken Browning from Endless Frontier. His moveset would make for a very cool, very flashy character.

If I could choose from any ATLUS character in general, I'd want Teddie or Koromaru because <3

What I would give to see Klonoa in a Smash Bros. game :(
I know that feel, but it'd probably end up being Pac-Man; I'm not convinced Namco cares enough about Klonoa, considering his games don't really do gangbusters.

jack-frost.jpg

Well, he'd be the most frightening Smash Brother by a longshot!

I know you're talking about somebody else, but this mental image amused me too much

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Balloon Fighter is going to be the retro character. They're pushing him harder and harder.

His moves will be a mixture of balloon based move and Iwata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom