• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAtgS

http://web.archive.org/web/20120229181006/http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

Sakurai & Iwata said:
Making a portable version had its appeal for him, as they'd be able to do a number of new things. At the same time, there would be limits, as they'd be handicapped in some areas when it comes to offering the usual enjoyment areas of Smash Bros.

Specifically, Sakurai feels that a portable system makes the game a more "individual" experience in that, compared to a console, it's easier to make players attached to the data that they've built up and collected. The fact that you're carrying the hardware with you makes for a more personal experience.

The difficulty here is that the current Smash Bros. games haven't relied on rewards, collecting money or raising your character's level. There's no element of gaining experience to make your character stronger, Iwata noted.

Adding the notion of experience would pose a dilmena, explained Sakurai, as there are some players who would get into such a game, while others would not like it. Iwata added that placing a focus on experience would also make the game lose its instant play quality.

What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space mesh together.

Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.
Players who only get the Wii U version will only have the pre-set vanilla versions of the roster & will be completely screwed in online matches against those who have leveled characters from the 3DS version.

Now granted this was 2 years ago, Sakurai didn't have much time to plan it because he was still working on KI:U for another year. The plan may well have changed once development actually started. But even then it's completely foolish to dismiss the portable as "inferior" when the developers themselves don't share that sentiment.

I'm actually more hyped to see the 3DS version at E3 than the Wii U version. Wii U is more of the same, 3DS is something actually new.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
8 MORE DAYS UNTIL NINTENDO DIRECT! :D

Anyway, I would like to remind everyone about this contest.

GAF's SSB4 Prediction Contest

We are 6 days away from deadline, so I would like to urge people to post their prediction before the deadline.

tiebreakers requirement are waived but it would be nice to have if you really want to win 20 dollars.

Also we got new prize for contest, check out new prize on last page of thread.

Won't have to. Hori/Madcatz/somebody will undoubtedly make a pro controller shaped like a GCN pad.

Are you sure that they would?

Also Smash GAF Chatroom - http://mibbit.com/?channel=#SmashGAF&server=rizon.mibbit.org

Anth0ny

Players who only get the Wii U version will only have the pre-set vanilla versions of the roster & will be completely screwed in online matches against those who have leveled characters from the 3DS version.

I'm certain that there will be a vanilla only versus mode for online play.

if not, i'll use the vanilla characters anyway as a handicap because i'm fucking hardcore

GamerSoul

http://web.archive.org/web/20120229181006/http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

Now granted this was 2 years ago, Sakurai didn't have much time to plan it because he was still working on KI:U for another year. The plan may well have changed once development actually started. But even then it's completely foolish to dismiss the portable as "inferior" when the developers themselves don't share that sentiment.

I'm actually more hyped to see the 3DS version at E3 than the Wii U version. Wii U is more of the same, 3DS is something actually new.

The 3DS version does sound interesting and I like the premise. I hope this means there is a substantial amount of content on the 3ds version to warrant "leveling up" or personalizing our characters. Having stickers alone would be a waste. And I don't really think it's a problem if there are leveled up characters. They could simply create another Special Smash for those custom built characters. When I use to play Soul Calibur IV, they had the standard vs and the special vs where you can use your customized character in a match. It was also available online. In that special mode, the weapons and clothes you wore affected your overall stat attributes. I can see Namco doing something similar for Smash.

Kokonoe

Banned

Wait, you have to level up characters now? What? Please tell me this is just for the custom character only.

Wait, you have to level up characters now? What? Please tell me this is just for the custom character only.

This is why I always tried to bring this topic up in the past ... cause it's easy for people to over look the ONLY SOLID news we know about at this point.

Anyway ...
What we know is that using the 3DS allows you to "build up" your characters and you can take them to the Wii U and have them battle on the "big stage" there.

Oh, and there's gonna be character customization. Is it just alts for characters appearances/ Stat changes/ move changes or any combo of those? What any of this means is anyone's guess.

GamerSoul

I think appearance will be just a part of it. They could have simple done that on the wiiU version and call it a day. but i'm skeptical to believe move changing would be a possibility. I mean it would be interesting but would they go that far?

DaBoss

I like the grips myself, because they are they are position it gives you faster reaction time to tap the buttons. It's a perfect mold on my hands. I also love the fat A button.

This so much. Button layout of the 4 face buttons were perfect.

wat

The Gamecube controller might as well be called the Smash Bros controller. It was MADE for Melee/Brawl. I will use it FOREVER

Yea, I explained in the next post, I was complaining about how hard it was for me to do spin attack spams in Wind Waker.

MAtgS

I'm certain that there will be a vanilla only versus mode for online play.
But that would result in less people buying both versions, so Nintendo has no incentive to include that kind of option.

Kokonoe said:
That would be horrible for balancing, a single de-facto God Tier character dominating the scene. Plus players would spend more time playing the 3DS version if they were grinding the entire roster instead of 1 guy, which Nintendo would probably prefer.

I think appearance will be just a part of it. They could have simple done that on the wiiU version and call it a day. but i'm skeptical to believe move changing would be a possibility. I mean it would be interesting but would they go that far?

Well, there's only 4 things it character customization CAN mean in the context of a fighter ...

1. Cosmetic changes
2. Move/ attack changes
3. Stat changes
4. Any combination of the above

Plus, IIRC, Sakurai DID say he wanted to shake things up and not just add new characters.
Looking at SC/ Tales should show that Namco knows how to do CC.

Kokonoe

Banned
But that would result in less people buying both versions, so Nintendo has no incentive to include that kind of option.

This would actually cause people to buy less. I don't play fighting games to level up characters. Look at what happened to Street Fighter X Tekken.

Notice nobody uses the level up stuff in Soul Calibur? Everyone always plays the normal VS.

That would be horrible for balancing, a single de-facto God Tier character dominating the scene. Plus players would spend more time playing the 3DS version if they were grinding the entire roster instead of 1 guy, which Nintendo would probably prefer.

Sounds like Metaknight, lol. I don't they care that much for balancing in Smash these days, but having one character you work on and having multiple layouts for wouldn't be broken if they limit it from having maxed out stat in everything. Simple stuff like make a max lotted amount for the overall stat count.

I really have a hard time believing they are going to force us to use these modes because they want us to buy both, that would literally be messed up.

qq more

If they do go with the leveling up system, it should be used for some special mode or something like Adventure Mode/SSE. Just as long as it doesn't affect the main modes...

I mean, Smash Bros is suppose to be a simple pick up and play fighting game. I think a leveling system in the main modes would only complicate things for the more casual players.

MAtgS

If they do go with the leveling up system, it should be used for some special mode or something like Adventure Mode/SSE. Just as long as it doesn't affect the main modes...

I mean, Smash Bros is suppose to be a simple pick up and play fighting game. I think a leveling system in the main modes would only complicate things for the more casual players.
After seeing Kid Icarus Uprising's weapon customization carried over to it's multiplayer, I doubt it. Besides, they outright said in the interview customized characters transfer to Wii U's multiplayer.

I mean, Smash Bros is suppose to be a simple pick up and play fighting game.
& you still get that with Wii U, provided you avoid the 3DS players at all costs. At least by having 2 versions Nintendo can attempt having it both ways instead of just jumping all in on RPG elements.

GamerSoul

i don't think it would be forced. It seems like it would be built around a Special custom Smash mode.

Well, there's only 4 things it character customization CAN mean in the context of a fighter ...

1. Cosmetic changes
2. Move/ attack changes
3. Stat changes
4. Any combination of the above

Plus, IIRC, Sakurai DID say he wanted to shake things up and not just add new characters.
Looking at SC/ Tales should show that Namco knows how to do CC.

I agree with 1 and 3 but for 2, I really want to believe and it can happen because the Tales series does handle it very well but creating customizable content plus more moves for 48+ characters may take some time. It would make a great Dojo update though...

This would actually cause people to buy less. I don't play fighting games to level up characters. Look at what happened to Street Fighter X Tekken.

Notice nobody uses the level up stuff in Soul Calibur? Everyone always plays the normal VS.

heh, i kinda feel the same. I don't play fighters to level up and I used the creation option just for looks and nothing more. Maybe smash will be different though and make us care. Sakurai imo is fascinated with adding story to Smash, for better or worse, so it could work but I won't replace the standard Smash.

I agree with 1 and 3 but for 2, I really want to believe and it can happen because the Tales series does handle it very well but creating customizable content plus more moves for 48+ characters may take some time. It would make a great Dojo update though...

IDK, I see it VERY much in the rang of possibility. The fact that Sakurai seems to really want to do something big and unexpected with the characters makes me feel like giving everyone a revamped play-style could really push things.

IDK if it's people underestimating Namco or overestimating the Smash fighting system but the people working on this don't get enough cred for the series they come from. I mean, these people make Tekken, SC and Tales Of ... 3 games with great combat systems (more than that if you count the Gundam fighting games and such which I heard were good but IDK), 2 of which are fighting games that are MUCH tighter and far more traditionally complex than smash. And on top of that if Brawl is anything to look at as a example ... Sakurai is going a bit looser with things.

And one fun thing about SC that I like is their stance system and that's pretty much how I see #2 going if it's to happen. Less of a "on the fly" thing and more of a system where you can pick B stances before a battle starts or something.

Namco is THE reason I could see MU being in as a FE character. People here say it's too much effort but they they're simply not paying attention to SC's CC.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'll probably be at my brother's graduation for the probable Smash and Pokemon reveals. :(

Are you going to go through the lists and give the results for the preliminaries of the contest after the first trailer? You know, to see who has the lead?

GamerSoul

IDK, I see it VERY much in the rang of possibility. The fact that Sakurai seems to really want to do something big and unexpected with the characters makes me feel like giving everyone a revamped play-style could really push things.

IDK if it's people underestimating Namco or overestimating the Smash fighting system but the people working on this don't get enough cred for the series they come from. I mean, these people make Tekken, SC and Tales Of ... 3 games with great combat systems (more than that if you count the Gundam fighting games and such which I heard were good but IDK), 2 of which are fighting games that are MUCH tighter and far more traditionally complex than smash. And on top of that if Brawl is anything to look at as a example ... Sakurai is going a bit looser with things.

And one fun thing about SC that I like is their stance system and that's pretty much how I see #2 going if it's to happen. Less of a "on the fly" thing and more of a system where you can pick B stances before a battle starts or something.

Namco is THE reason I could see MU being in as a FE character. People here say it's too much effort but they they're simply not paying attention to SC's CC.

The only reason I have a bit of hope on the customization is because of Namco. I still think that was a great pick up by Nintendo. They do have the ability no doubt and the complexity that they're use to is greater.

Stances could work but I can see characters just getting a few moves instead if they go that route. And I guess not every character has to be treated the same. Some can have stances while others have a new move or something. It just could get messy but they would figure it out if that was what they really wanted to do it. lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Customization of Tales works because it's non-competitive. It's an RPG. Skill swapping inn RPGs exist. Fighting games that have that tend to be terrible on the competitive side.

Ryce

I can't believe there's less than a week left until we see the new Super Smash Bros. game. In 2009 or so, I remember feeling like this moment would never come.

I can't believe there's less than a week left until we see the new Super Smash Bros. game. In 2009 or so, I remember feeling like this moment would never come.
Really? I kinda figured a new Smash would be inevitable with the next console generation.

Ryce

Really? I kinda figured a new Smash would be inevitable with the next console generation.
I knew it was going to be a while, though. Five years is a long time.

Oh, and I'm going to be counting down to next week's Nintendo Direct via my avatar. HYPE!

I think I might just freeze myself until the Direct to stop myself from going crazy by combing the internet for leaks.

Gentlemen, it has been an honor.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'll probably be at my brother's graduation for the probable Smash and Pokemon reveals. :(

Are you going to go through the lists and give the results for the preliminaries of the contest after the first trailer? You know, to see who has the lead?

Sorry, I overlooked that message. More likely.

I think I might just freeze myself until the Direct to stop myself from going crazy by combing the internet for leaks.

Gentlemen, it has been an honor.

NO YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FREEZE YOURSELF UNTIL YOU POST YOUR AMAZING ROSTER THAT WOULD GUARANTEE YOUR LOSS!

not really if you don't want to. :lol

all the days leading up to this is slowing down. all this hype is killing me.

It hasn't really affect me yet but it might hit me like a day before E3 since I'm sure that Monday will go pretty fast for us.

The days are somehow faster for me. Weird.

Same here.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
When I get home I'd be willing to help look through the lists.

Alright, that would be awesome. So far we have about 81 or 82 participators which is good numbers.

I'm trying to figure out when is good time for us to having a good discussion in other thread so it can kept bumping to first page constantly. I'm thinking about doing that for last two days before the thread get locked. I would allow any kind of discussion about smash in general are allowed in Smash Prediction for last two days.

DaBoss

My prediction has been cast. Read and be humbled by my infinite smartitude.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61313729&postcount=635

Posting this again since there can never be enough JonTron.
iA0sB3pTK2uml.gif

How much of a meltdown would there be if there were characters that could only be unlocked by exchanging data between both versions?

It would be significant.

a huge firestorm

People would throw a gigantic shitstorm because it's worse than on-disc DLC.

It won't happen. The worst that would happen would be a few exclusive trophies, stickers, or music tracks.
Not like there's not precedent for this, what with Metroid Prime/Fusion link-up unlockables.

But I don't expect exclusive stages or characters. What I might expect is another route for unlocking characters that involves linking up both games - maybe only ones you've unlocked in a given version, or maybe a set of them unlock instantly just for doing the link-up. It seems like the sort of thing Nintendo would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom