• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattuso

final smashes were a pretty great addition to the game even with its balancing issues. having everyone stop what they're doing and frantically race to see who could get the smash the ball was fun whenever items were decided to be turned on when me and my friends play.

SkyOdin

Final Smashes are a fun gameplay element that probably need some changes and fine-tuning. I am actually uncertain whether or not the mad chase after the Smash Ball is good for the gameplay or not. It is fun, but at the same time disrupts the natural flow of combat. Of course, the "natural flow" of Smash's combat is already unstable and hectic, so I can't honestly say that it is too big of a change.

I'm just hoping Smash 4 fixes the item list. Brawl had a pretty lousy set of items compared to 64 and Melee. A lot of them lack visual distinction, many are not very fun, and too many have random results. And the Dragoon just ruins the flow of matches by not going away until someone uses the darn thing. A lot of the really fun items, such as proximity mines, are way too rarely occurring also.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A lot of them lack visual distinction,
Talking about a lack of visual distinction, I wonder if they'll change the poison mushroom to a mini mushroom. Thing is the poison mushroom could have already looked different from the regular super mushroom but they obviously chose to make them similar in appearance.

fisheyes

Talking about a lack of visual distinction, I wonder if they'll change the poison mushroom to a mini mushroom. Thing is the poison mushroom could have already looked different from the regular super mushroom but they obviously chose to make them similar in appearance.

Isn't the point that you can't tell which one it is from a quick glance? You would attempt to avoid an obvious mini mushroom, but when you can't tell if its a Super Mushroom or not...

Ein Bear

I loved the Final Smashes themselves, but I didn't like how they were implemented. The smash balls just spawned too often, and it spoiled the flow of the game by having everyone constantly squabbling over them.

I loved the Final Smashes themselves, but I didn't like how they were implemented. The smash balls just spawned too often, and it spoiled the flow of the game by having everyone constantly squabbling over them.

This is my only problem with them, aside from "clones" having the same final smashes. The spawn rate definitely needs to be tweaked to where something that powerful has a seperate timer than the other items. That's the main reason my friends and I rarely play with them. We'll do it then be like: "why'd we think this was a good idea again?"

TheGannondork

Neo Member
So I know it won't happen but this game needs Groose!

skyward-sword-groose-and-link.jpg

GamerSoul

IsaacPromo.jpg

Isaac should have Djinn for final smash. Maybe Ragnorak or Odyssey.

Ragnorak would be a thing of beauty in 3D. I was playing Brawl for the first time in awhile with a friend and even he still wants Isaac in Smash and we rarely talk about Smash anymore. I just don't see it happening, imo. Although, I would be pleasantly surprised.

I'm curious about how you all feel about the "Final Smash" moves, I didn't really care for them but my friends and I made sure to try them all out. I didn't play nearly as much Brawl as I played Melee but are they a big thing people enjoyed in that game? I still enjoyed them more than that 3 part dragon thing you needed to collect.

It was an interesting concept but I got tired of them. They're just unbalanced. I'd rather have like a Super Smash Attack or something

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's odd. The first FS shown (Mario, Link and Kirby) are quite reasonable Super Moves. It seems as they implemented more and more they got more and more overpowered and long winded.

GamerSoul

It's odd. The first FS shown (Mario, Link and Kirby) are quite reasonable Super Moves. It seems as they implemented more and more they got more and more overpowered and long winded.

You do make a good point and they were reasonable. Maybe they just decided "eff it, lets make Final Smashes an item" to help "balance" them or something. I'm pretty sure the Land Master was the tipping point lol.

Kokonoe

Banned
I played like 2 years of PS3 controllers and 360 controllers and Classic Controller PROs with Brawl and Melee on my computer and Wii, I was sitting there saying the GC controller really isn't needed for Smash, then I finally got a Gamecube to PC adapter last month, and all of that changed.

GC controller can't be replaced for Smash, I mean yeah, you can use other controllers for Smash, but the controller is just too perfect for Smash. It's like Arcade Sticks with traditional fighting games. Also, triggers on the Gamecube controller are perfect for Smash.

qq more

I hope switching between Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS doesn't make the 3DS version feel too inferior to control with.

That could work since it would be cheaper, or they could release a newer version of the Game cube controller.

Sorta like this just with an extra bumper.

H7nectv.jpg

I want this.

DaBoss

I don't like the GCN controller anymore. It was made for smaller hands. The left controller stick is awful (I didn't mind the C-stick), the Z-button is stupid small, stupidly placed, and requires more force than should be needed to press it, and the D-Pad is terrible (not needed for Smash though). My hands cramps up often while I'm replaying Wind Waker currently.

Okay, I've heard complaints about the C-stick before, but I don't think I've heard anyone bemoan the left stick while saying the C-stick is alright.

GC left analog is great. Not sure why you'd say otherwise.

DaBoss

Okay, I've heard complaints about the C-stick before, but I don't think I've heard anyone bemoan the left stick while saying the C-stick is alright.

GC left analog is great. Not sure why you'd say otherwise.

Well that is more of a Wind Waker complaint though. Hard to spam the spin attack with it for me. :lol

The grips are kinda annoying, but they don't really hamper me.

Kokonoe

Banned
I like the grips myself, because they are they are position it gives you faster reaction time to tap the buttons. It's a perfect mold on my hands. I also love the fat A button.

NeonZ

The smash balls just spawned too often, and it spoiled the flow of the game by having everyone constantly squabbling over them.

I think changing the flow of the match was the main idea behind the Smash Balls and the Dragoon. The Final Smashes themselves definitely could have used better balance though - it's like there was just no effort put into balancing quite a few of them.

Anth0ny

I hope switching between Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS doesn't make the 3DS version feel too inferior to control with.

It will. Currently give no fucks about a portable Smash Bros.

I don't like the GCN controller anymore. It was made for smaller hands. The left controller stick is awful (I didn't mind the C-stick), the Z-button is stupid small, stupidly placed, and requires more force than should be needed to press it, and the D-Pad is terrible (not needed for Smash though). My hands cramps up often while I'm replaying Wind Waker currently.

wat

The Gamecube controller might as well be called the Smash Bros controller. It was MADE for Melee/Brawl. I will use it FOREVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom