• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeblue

*scratches head*
I can't see less characters. Same amount of characters would be weird too. Brawl had what?? 35 characters?? I'd say 45 and we are good.
I think we'll hit 45-50 counting transformations and things like Pokemon Trainer.

Brawl had a crazy good soundtrack so I'm hoping this thing is just shy of every track that has ever played in a Nintendo game. Or they could just include Stalwarts Unite from Radiant Dawn and I'll be happy.

I like the tongue-in-cheek 'serious business' tone of SSE, even though more enemies and locations from Nintendo games would've been a plus.

To me Brawl was nearly perfect. I liked that it destroyed the broken meta game created by Melee kids, since it is a better game all around.

If Nintendo can make Smash 4 just as accessible as Brawl then I'll be thrilled. In fact if they used the exact same engine and just updated the models and added more characters that'd be wonderful. Brawl was perfect and lived up to the hype in my eyes.

(come at me, GAF)

i wholeheartedly agree with you. we are totally in the minority though, but you know what? i have so so so so much more fun with brawl than melee, that i dont even mind one bit.

udivision

i wholeheartedly agree with you. we are totally in the minority though, but you know what? i have so so so so much more fun with brawl than melee, that i dont even mind one bit.

Brawl didn't have to "break the metagame" to be more fun than Melee. It just needed to expand, which it did wonderfully. More characters, more stages, more features. They made the gameplay worse to a large chunk of the fanbase, another chunk can't even tell the difference, and as you admitted a minority thought it was better. I dont' understand why that had to happen.

Thores

I think 45-50 is a good realistic number for amount of characters. That might look like 15 new characters at most but I think it'll be closer to at least that many, along with Sakurai making some deletions from Brawl like he did from Melee.

I think Lucario is on the cutting board for sure. And I'd say it's possible that Wolf, Lucas (much as I love him), and maybe Ike don't return either.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think Lucario is on the cutting board for sure. And I'd say it's possible that Wolf, Lucas (much as I love him), and maybe Ike don't return either.

It's like de ja vu all over again.

Maybe I should just stop drinking this soda.

Codeblue

I think 45-50 is a good realistic number for amount of characters. That might look like 15 new characters at most but I think it'll be closer to at least that many, along with Sakurai making some deletions from Brawl like he did from Melee.

I'm fairly certain Ike is going to be replaced with Chrome, which is pretty upsetting.

Boss Doggie

Again, the "new Pokemon gets cut" is the most baseless theory I've heard from Smash fandom that their stupidity nears Avatar shipping levels.

Thores

Again, the "new Pokemon gets cut" is the most baseless theory I've heard from Smash fandom that their stupidity nears Avatar shipping levels.

Roy getting removed was basically "new Fire Emblem Lord gets cut". There is a precedent for thinking that characters that were a hot topic at the time can be removed if they've lost their relevance.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
PUSHMO LEVEL!

And Dillon and Sakura Samurai guy as ATs (or Sakura Samurai as a Takamaru alt if he gets in). I wanna see the 3DS download dudes get some love.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To make Masterhand fight even harder they should stick Faceraiders into the stage. They can just use photos of all the staff who worked on the game.

Man I cannot WAIT for SSB4 to come out. This is hands down my FAVORITE video game series of all time next to nothing. After this comes Uncharted(starting to change my mind due to the horrible MP structure) and a few others.

Anyway I played Melee for about 7 years until Brawl came out. I was soooooo geeked out for Brawl I literally watched the first reveal trailer and got goosebumps and was on that dojo website DAILY. When the game came out it was just the most divine experience ever. It was like a holiday morning and getting a gift from the future that you thought for sure you'd die before you get.

Fast forward to today and I no longer own a Wii. Smash Bros Brawl with a working online system would've kept it but no.

It is IMPERATIVE that the new Nintendo Network or whatever they'll call it is near immaculate in it's function that it allows me to play Smash Bros 4 online as trouble free as possible.

I don't want to have another "Hey here's my friend code 3465464984 64348 49384 Coolbgdog "
"Lol you need to add me and I add you and when your online we can play" moment.

DLC, voice chat, amazing next gen graphics , GC controller support maybe??(I could live without it as long as everything else is up to snuff)

OMG SSB4
*freezes self*

I feel the same way....next gen smash with a great online system would be a system seller for me..

Nintendo: "What's an internet?"

Nqz6W.jpg

"Ooh, they have the internet on computers now!"

I'm curious to see how the game is going to utilize the U pad. I'm sure it will be used to create user generated stages but what else?

I'm hoping the online will be extremely robust. I would like Nintendo to go as far to set up annual online tournaments.

I would also like the clones to be done away with and see more 3rd party characters in the roster.

Some obvious characters I can think of from 1st party games to be added are Baby Browser, Yarn Kirby, Waluigi, and Little Mac.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pictochat stage should allow for real time drawing with the UPad.

The message box that makes up the stage can change to prompt which player is currently sending messages.

Boss Doggie

Roy getting removed was basically "new Fire Emblem Lord gets cut". There is a precedent for thinking that characters that were a hot topic at the time can be removed if they've lost their relevance.

The problem is that it only happened once. There's no "pattern" to follow when the very "pattern" you're referring to happened once.

Also note that Roy's case was pretty much a given - he was only in the game... because had an upcoming FE game. He wasn't a developed character (gameplay-wise) vs. Ike.

Thores

The problem is that it only happened once. There's no "pattern" to follow when the very "pattern" you're referring to happened once.

Also note that Roy's case was pretty much a given - he was only in the game... because had an upcoming FE game. He wasn't a developed character (gameplay-wise) vs. Ike.

I didn't say "pattern", though. I said "precedent". I'm fully aware that it's only happened once. But that means that it has happened. And so far there's nothing to contradict the notion it can happen again. Meaning the theory isn't "baseless". It could end up being wrong, and I wouldn't mind that, but there is at least one factor that backs up his removal being a possibility.

I don't really see how Brawl being released after Diamond and Pearl means Lucario wasn't a marketing choice. Of all the Pokemon in Gen IV that could have been playable in Brawl, they chose a Pokemon who didn't have an even remotely important role in the games, but had starred in the most recent Pokemon movie. And his moveset was basically a retooled version of Mewtwo's, just as Ike used Roy's moves as a base before making them more distinct. If Roy was "a given", then Lucario is at least somewhat suspect.

Boss Doggie

I don't really see how Brawl being released after Diamond and Pearl means Lucario wasn't a marketing choice. Of all the Pokemon in Gen IV that could have been playable in Brawl, they chose a Pokemon who didn't have an even remotely important role in the games, but had starred in the most recent Pokemon movie. And his moveset was basically a retooled version of Mewtwo's, just as Ike used Roy's moves as a base before making them more distinct. If Roy was "a given", then Lucario is at least somewhat suspect.

Here's the problem though: Lucario is legitimately popular in Japan, even til now. Also, he isn't a "retooled Mewtwo" - the only similar move they have is B... and Ike's moves towards Roy are VERY VERY DIFFERENT.

VhIsc.gif

Thores

Here's the problem though: Lucario is legitimately popular in Japan, even til now. Also, he isn't a "retooled Mewtwo" - the only similar move they have is B... and Ike's moves towards Roy are VERY VERY DIFFERENT.

Not saying Lucario/Mewtwo are identical, but there's similarities. And yeah, Ike is a way different character than Roy, it just feels to me that Roy is where they started building him. They both have the chargeable exploding sword special. And Roy was similar to Marth, but slower and dealt more damage. These are Ike's attributes, except Ike is more fleshed out and actually feels like a different character. Like I said, used Roy as a base, then made him more distinct. Either way, that was more of a tangent and not really my main point.

If Lucario really is still legit popular in Japan, then I wouldn't be surprised if he was still playable in Smash 4. This is the first I've heard of this being the case, though, so what makes you say that?

Boss Doggie

But what similarities? The only similar thing they have is the B move, nothing else. Roy was a true clone while Ike is a unique character.

And Lucario is pretty much popular - you always still see him in first line merchandising (like say, with Pikachu) like in McDonalds. Hell, he's still being used as a mascot during Pokemon Sunday. That's why they tried to replicate his success with Zoroark, but as far as I know it didn't click.

Brawl didn't have to "break the metagame" to be more fun than Melee. It just needed to expand, which it did wonderfully. More characters, more stages, more features. They made the gameplay worse to a large chunk of the fanbase, another chunk can't even tell the difference, and as you admitted a minority thought it was better. I dont' understand why that had to happen.
I'm surprised that someone would actually "like" destroying what made Melee fun for a lot of people. Smh.

And Melee's metagame wasn't broken, but he's entitled to think that it was.

Even though it's wrong.

Thores

But what similarities? The only similar thing they have is the B move, nothing else. Roy was a true clone while Ike is a unique character.

And Lucario is pretty much popular - you always still see him in first line merchandising (like say, with Pikachu) like in McDonalds. Hell, he's still being used as a mascot during Pokemon Sunday. That's why they tried to replicate his success with Zoroark, but as far as I know it didn't click.

After sitting down and looking at both for the first time in a while, they admittedly had less in common than I remembered. They're both similarly floaty in the air, and of course the shadow ball thing, but that's about it. I guess them both having the sort of shadowy aura stuff surrounding their attacks threw off my memory. Mechanically they have even less similarities than Roy and Ike.

And yeah, fair enough, kids in Japan do see a dude dancin around in a Lucario costume every week, so it's not like he's forgotten. I'm still not convinced he's a lock to stay (after all, under the same logic we'd probably still have Mewtwo), but I rescind my "cutting board for sure" statement. I hereby downgrade it to "cutting board for maybe".

Boss Doggie

Mewtwo being cut is still a mystery to me too, but surprisingly enough he's actually not that popular - he's no Jigglypuff or Pikachu. He's big in USA though, which is agreeable, but then again they can't seem to move forward outside of the first 150 Pokemon.

They will replace all the Pokemon fighters with Stunfisk.

That smug smirk would tear into the very hearts of pokemon fans.
Actually Stunfisk would make a great pokeball pokemon, it flattens itself into the floor and zaps anyone that steps on it, like an electric proximity mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom