• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 leak: Android 4.3, 2 cameras, wireless charging, July 31st [Up: 1920x1200]

Status
Not open for further replies.
More leaks...worst kept google secret lol

nexus7-2ndgen-xqckx.jpg

nexus7-2ndgen-xqckx2.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/23/new-nexus-7-surfaces-in-photos-packaging/

I wonder if it comes with the Snapdragon 600 rather than S4.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
With iPad 5 rumors aiming for a Sep. launch, I not sure if I want a N7. The screen size is the only thing holding me back from ordering it tomorrow. Wish they also released a 8 inch or the new N10 already.

I see if the "event" tomorrow changes my mind.

Hope we get specs tonight.

solarus

With iPad 5 rumors aiming for a Sep. launch, I not sure if I want a N7. The screen size is the only thing holding me back from ordering it tomorrow. Wish they also released a 8 inch or the new N10 already.

I see if the "event" tomorrow changes my mind.

Hope we get specs tonight.
Honestly I just want one to fuck around on android again with, I havent had an android device for a year now. This thing in my eyes is completely useless for pdf reading and web browsing does not seem like it would be too great either with the screen size. The screen is just too small for me personally, its just a very big android phone that cant make calls, not big enough to be a tablet. The ipad mini screen size is great for a tablet experience in a smaller form factor, I hope google copies it and makes a similarly sized device. Regardless, I'm excited for this thing anyway but I don't think it'll replace my ipad mini.

solarus

qbJxqkm.jpg

left: not big enough to be a tablet

right: great for a tablet experience
Umm yeah? There is a lot more screen space for the web page on the mini than the nexus in that pic, then you have the permanent controls on the bottom eating up even more space. I have used a nexus 7, I honestly think the screen is too small for a tablet, the mini screen size difference is substantial during use. Personal preference, deal with it. I'm buying one anyway, just not to replace my mini.

kehs

Banned
I pretty much always browse in landscape on iPad and n7 so that doesn't bother me either...

Really? When I had it, I hated holding it in landscape, bezel was too small which made it awkward.

I might be because I'm usually browsing text stuff though, and the portrait on the n7 was great. Shorter lines.

LeleSocho

Banned
M1cMZgt.jpg

top: good movie watching experience

bottom: terrible movie watching experience

terrible movie watching experience? lolwut?
If you lettebox the video to see the full 16:9 you end up with the same size of the n7 fullscreen... so at the very worst it's "a little worse movie experience" because of the little lower resolution.

solarus

M1cMZgt.jpg

top: good movie watching experience

bottom: terrible movie watching experience
If we are really going to do this shit, might as well compare them where it matters.
Bottom: thousands of fantastic tablet optimised apps
Top: very few optimised to tablet size besides google's offerings, if you don't care about that and don't mind upscaled smartphone apps then good for you but don't even try spinning this any other way. Spotify does not even have a tablet optimised app for android, no one gives enough of a shit to make them but I know most people here are fine with upscale phone apps, which I guess is ok seeing as the screen isn't really that big.
The poor tablet app selection and size are why I can't replace my mini with this, I really want to use it to fuck around with though and for emulation, can hook it up to my tv.

Somnid

terrible movie watching experience? lolwut?
If you lettebox the video to see the full 16:9 you end up with the same size of the n7 fullscreen... so at the very worst it's "a little worse movie experience" because of the little lower resolution.

No you don't. The letter boxes are much smaller because 16:10 adds pixels on 16:9, 4:3 needs heavy letterboxing to show the full frame (and becomes much worse as the screen becomes wider). But also on the iPad Mini you won't just get letterboxing but 720p content has to be scaled down. They both have the same mono audio problem of portrait speaker orientation (which is fixed on this new model plus several other 7" tablets).

Also I don't think a site's use of media queries is in anyway a justification of hardware and it's really bad people actually picked up that line from Apple's PR.

Well shit.... I was going to keep the 32GB N7 I got from Staples, but seeing how the new N7 is going to cost $269 for 32GB, it's going back. And I just put a screen protector on it.

Damnit!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Well shit.... I was going to keep the 32GB N7 I got from Staples, but seeing how the new N7 is going to cost $269 for 32GB, it's going back. And I just put a screen protector on it.

Damnit!
You couldn't wait a couple of days? Come on man.

aznpxdd

If we are really going to do this shit, might as well compare them where it matters.
Bottom: thousands of fantastic tablet optimised apps
Top: very few optimised to tablet size besides google's offerings, if you don't care about that and don't mind upscaled smartphone apps then good for you but don't even try spinning this any other way. Spotify does not even have a tablet optimised app for android, no one gives enough of a shit to make them but I know most people here are fine with upscale phone apps, which I guess is ok seeing as the screen isn't really that big.
The poor tablet app selection and size are why I can't replace my mini with this, I really want to use it to fuck around with though and for emulation, can hook it up to my tv.

This is true.

I love my Nexus 4, but iOS' tablet app selection is just in another stratosphere compared to Android's. Which is exactly why Android phone/iOS tablet is win. I really do want a Nex 7 just to fuck around, but why bother when every app is superior and looks better on iOS?

You couldn't wait a couple of days? Come on man.

lol, I was desperate . I had 2x 16GB N7's, one for me and the wife, until my son cracked both screens within a week of each other. I used it a lot out the house and for working on remote systems when I was chilling on the couch.

And at $165 for a 32GB, I couldn't wait, I just couldn't.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
lol, I was desperate . I had 2x 16GB N7's, one for me and the wife, until my son cracked both screens within a week of each other. I used it a lot out the house and for working on remote systems when I was chilling on the couch.

And at $165 for a 32GB, I couldn't wait, I just couldn't.
For $165? Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom