• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

cdyhybrid

mmmm i can taste the fear in your post. you had your chance to keep us out of the playoffs yourselves but couldn't get it done in a "glorified practice" game. now suffer like G did

I don't know who G is, but losing to the Falcons will be even greater suffering!

How'd that Cardinal D taste yesterday though? ;) I had to raz you since I think you were the one chicken fan on here that made a comment about us not having a chance.

Fucking sucked. You shouldn't have had a chance, but the Seahawks have the misfortune of being based in Seattle, which has doomed them to an eternity of choking at the worst possible time.

I posted a post-game GG though! Honestly, I don't get too worked up about NFL losses. UW losing is much, much worse.

Even though I'm no fan of Atlanta, it's hard not to feel for Tony Gonzalez. Dude thought he was coming back to a contender, instead it turns out Atlanta decided to take the Houston route and stink for most of the season. However, tonight, I hope they win. Nothing personal against San Fran, but I'd like to see the Cards make the playoffs. They were my dark horse NFC pick going into this season, and I hav family that are big Cards fans, so I know it would mean a lot to them.

I don't doubt that, he just hasn't impressed me quite like he did since last year. May just because of all the inconsistency in his play time, but it's moot now. Let's hope they right this ship and the Mincey acquisition pays off. Packers manage to make it to the Super Bowl a couple years back with their rag-tag depleted core, so I know anything can happen.

True, but that Packers defense was also extremely opportunistic and could play man really well. I know we like to play man too, but I'm not sure if we play it as well as that Packers team did (I recall a lot of teams complaining how tough the secondary were playing their receivers that year). They also only allowed about 15 PPG that season.

I'm hoping the Broncos secondary pulls off the same transformation that the 2006 Colts defense did when they went from getting gashed on the run game for hundreds of yards a game to locking down on Larry Johnson and Jamal Lewis.

My fear is that without Von, you get more situations where a semi-mobile QB can completely break down your defensive plan by buying just a little more time. With someone as quick as Von barrelling down, it causes QBs to maybe roll out a little bit quicker, throw the ball away a little bit faster. Just those fractions of seconds each play can really change the way an opposing offense plays an entire game, even if it doesn't show up in the box score for Von. We may have only improved about a point per game in scoring defense since he's been back, but the schedule has also been a lot stronger than the first 6 games of the season, which would be a lot more reflective of the strength of the competition in the playoffs.

Peyton would have her choke him with the strap on.

829097434.gif

damn you and your multi-layered sports jokes. I will concede this round, gata

Even though I'm no fan of Atlanta, it's hard not to feel for Tony Gonzalez. Dude thought he was coming back to a contender, instead it turns out Atlanta decided to take the Houston route and stink for most of the season. However, tonight, I hope they win. Nothing personal against San Fran, but I'd like to see the Cards make the playoffs. They were my dark horse NFC pick going into this season, and I hav family that are big Cards fans, so I know it would mean a lot to them.

Yup, definitely sucks seeing a legit good guy go out like this. Atlanta had some horrible luck and injuries this year.

While I wouldn't label him a good guy too, I still feel bad for the Lions' Dominic Raiola. He had arguably the best season of his career, he works hard, and just when it seemed like he could make it to the playoffs again...then nothing.

We love shitting on the Lions secondary, but at the end of the day our defense gave up 1 TD in the last two weeks. One. Chicago has given up a billion over the last couple games, GB barely did better. Yet we're the odd man out because the offense couldn't outscore kickers. The o-line played great all season, gave Stafford the protection he needed and made holes for Bush/Bell.

That 2010 Packers defense got healthy for the playoffs. And they also had a great secondary that stayed healthy all year (until the 2nd quarter of the super bowl...)

The model for inexplicable defensive dominance is the '06 Colts.

Farooq

Banned
That 2010 Packers defense got healthy for the playoffs. And they also had a great secondary that stayed healthy all year (until the 2nd quarter of the super bowl...)

Didn't Bob Sanders come back (for the Colts)? My memory is a little foggy though.

Draconian

Yeah, the only game I think the defense played extremely well in was the Bears game. For some reason Cutler always struggles against us and then we knocked him out of the game. The rest of the time, they gave up yardage but came up with crucial takeaways in the Falcons game and the Super Bowl. That and Rodgers played out of his mind down the stretch.

More likely than CK progressing past his first read at any point tonight lol

:-(
He's not that bad, Boldin has no speed and was double teamed most of the season, VD does not have elite hands despite being the fastest TE out there. Having Crab in the mix gives Kap more options than hoping VD can make the grab.

Godslay

Banned
Don't think Giselle will be getting with Peyton anytime soon...

Playoffs

Brady .708
Manning .450

Regular season

Brady .774
Manning .695

So you are telling me that Brady has only choked two times less than Manning has? Good point.

Plus, why would he want some used up old vag? His lady held her integrity until Peyton was ready to take it.

I'm out, Merry Christmas. :jnc.

Offensive line grades for Dolphins: Clabo Positive, Pouncey and Garner Neutral, McKinnie, Jerry, Brenner, Negative, yet it feels like there wasn't an oline playing at all

Edit: Martin tweeted for the first time since he left the team "Happy Holidays" and dolphin fans are ripping into him lol dude is going to have a breakdown

They were the 3rd ranked D in the NFL that year though.
Fair point. Checking the stats, in yardage allowed they were #5 in the regular season (e2: I thought they were more like #10. wikipedia lied to me), even with all the injuries. And they were #2 in points allowed.

So, in short... that was not an example of a bad defense becoming good for the playoffs. That was a good defense continuing to be good in the playoffs.

Yeah, the only game I think the defense played extremely well in was the Bears game. For some reason Cutler always struggles against us and then we knocked him out of the game. The rest of the time, they gave up yardage but came up with crucial takeaways in the Falcons game and the Super Bowl. That and Rodgers played out of his mind down the stretch.
They held the Eagles to 16, and blew the game open against the Giants and Falcons. I don't know what your definition of extremely well is, but...

also don't understand the "oh but they relied on turnovers, therefore they weren't a good defense" train of thought. Even if you were to argue that fumbles are random, are INTs? If you have a great safety freeing up cornerbacks to take risks and they get more INTs as a result, isn't that a sign that you have a great safety, rather than something to attribute to random chance?

Tabris

So you are telling me that Brady has only choked two times less than Manning has? Good point.

Plus, why would he want some used up old vag? His lady held her integrity until Peyton was ready to take it.

I'm out, Merry Christmas. :jnc.

Godslay is the MAN! You all got served, lawyered, and burned at the same time!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I warned you Kas, no matter how much stats you can throw out the fact remains.

Once a part of the shame circle, always a part of the shame circle:

#Browns and #Lions are tied for worst regular-season record in the NFL since 1999: 77-162.

Stop fighting and just embrace it.

aTCTq40.gif

Jim Schwartz is a fighter, a cerebral assassin on the sidelines. He is who the Lions need to take that next step. After this season, I can only conclude that a ten-year extension would be the best for his players and the organization.

JCizzle

He's not that bad, Boldin has no speed and was double teamed most of the season, VD does not have elite hands despite being the fastest TE out there. Having Crab in the mix gives Kap more options than hoping VD can make the grab.

I thought that too, but then someone posted a link to a breakdown of his season using all 22 tape a few weeks ago. The results weren't pretty. Missing the drop off guy over and over again, missing open WR that weren't his first read, running too soon, etc. Made me lose confidence in him. I don't think Roman is helping him simplify the game as a young QB.

I thought that too, but then someone posted a link to a breakdown of his season using all 22 tape a few weeks ago. The results weren't pretty. Missing the drop off guy over and over again, missing open WR that weren't his first read, running too soon, etc. Made me lose confidence in him. I don't think Roman is helping him simplify the game as a young QB.

he needs to get better in his progressions but i think you can nitpick any qb if you wanted to. i remember looking at some all-22 earlier in the year of andrew luck where he was missing open receiver after open receiver in a game. kap had a great game last week. maybe his best throw was a 12 yarder to crabtree. he looked off the safety in the middle of the field, then went over to his left and threw a laser JUST over the LB in zone but in front of the cb. beautiful throw

I don't know who G is, but losing to the Falcons will be even greater suffering!

Fucking sucked. You shouldn't have had a chance, but the Seahawks have the misfortune of being based in Seattle, which has doomed them to an eternity of choking at the worst possible time.

I posted a post-game GG though! Honestly, I don't get too worked up about NFL losses. UW losing is much, much worse.

Well you saw me say that I didn't feel confident about this game, that it was the only single game I didn't feel confident about. It's hard to argue that things should have been in your favor between how good you are at home and our injuries and you getting 4 picks but it has to be hats off to our D, they played a great game and gave Russel and Lynch fits, it wasn't SEA O just playing terrible. Our front line was dominate enough that it actually allowed our secondary to leave no open receivers which was not the case last time we met. Powers actually showed up for once and these were the differences that made up for our depleted secondary as not only Honey Badger was missing, but his backup as well so we had a undrafted rookie playing FS. SEA D was somewhat of a mixed bag from what I read. You did keep any of our receivers from having solid performances and the picks during redzone D is fantastic (though I read three of them were off of tips), but we regularly got down the field and had what, 4 scoring opportunities? If not for multiple tipped picks, it could have potentially been a blow out. I know that sounds silly but I always feel like tips off of an offensive players are flukey but still credit to the defender for getting to the ball.We ran at will as well. It was hard fought and a gritty match as evidenced by the final score, all I'm saying is we aren't as bad as you thought we were and you shouldn't underestimate division foes
unless they're the Rams ;) jk, Squicken :D

It's all good, half the fun on here is talking shit and trolling each other. We are all bros, GG. I feel bad for the Rams, SEA going to be mad and play hard to finish the season.

Alright brah, we did our job and ate the chickens. Now you do yours and lose tonight so we can have a meaningful game to watch on Sunday! Show some balls, fight us for a play off spot! Speaking of which, are you definitely coming to the game?

How'd that Cardinal D taste yesterday though? ;) I had to raz you since I think you were the one chicken fan on here that made a comment about us not having a chance.

if we beat the falcons tonight i honestly doubt i would be able to convince my boys to go. hopefully that's the case!

p.s.

suffer like g did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1LzruO-eUU

Tom Penny

Will the Lions brass fall for this one?

"We didn't make the playoffs and it's obviously anybody's goal when they go in so we didn't achieve that goal. But I don't know if I'd be as strong as to call it a failure," Schwartz said. "That was the word you used. I don't know if I'd be as strong to call it that.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

Meh. All 22 seems to think he knows more than he does and cherry-picks examples from the latest game to offer sweeping conclusions about what is right or wrong with the team. The latest column cherry-picked Kaep's god-tier moments from last weekend so....whatever...

His receivers weren't getting open and the play calling wasn't/isn't helping with that or the poor pass protection.

if we beat the falcons tonight i honestly doubt i would be able to convince my boys to go. hopefully that's the case!

p.s.

suffer like g did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1LzruO-eUU

That's a bummer, it would have been cool to get a beer and talk shit in person! Another reason to hope you lose tonight, I guess!

One last reason to hope SF sucks, I'm in the second round of fantasy playoffs up by 2 points with Boldin left while my opponent has SF D. Go Dirty Birds! Send me to my fantasy superbowl and the Cardinals to the playoffs after we tap the Niner's ass!

Miguel

Kas got his playoff tickets this morning!

http://www.freep.com/article/20131223/SPORTS01/312230088/detroit-lions-playoff-tickets

A day after the Detroit Lions were eliminated from playoff contention, some fans received postseason tickets in the mail.

The Lions mailed playoff invoices to season-ticket holders last month, when they were 6-5 and tied for first place in the NFC North.

In the month since, they’ve lost three of four games and were bounced from the playoff race Sunday, when they lost the New York Giants in overtime, 23-20.

The Lions sold playoff tickets in standard two-game blocks — teams can host, at most, two home games during the postseason — and it’s common practice for organizations chasing a playoff berth to take ticket requests late in the season.

A Lions spokesperson did not immediately return a call seeking comment on whether refunds will be issued.

The Lions (7-8) finish the regular season against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday with a chance to go 5-1 in the NFC North. But because of their recent slide — they’ve lost five of their last six games overall — the winner of this weekend’s Chicago Bears-Green Bay Packers game will win the division and go to the playoffs.

Bread

Banned
fuck peyton and his fivehead, that bitch is going to get owned ty law style by future shutdown corner logan ryan in the afc championship game

That's a bummer, it would have been cool to get a beer and talk shit in person! Another reason to hope you lose tonight, I guess!

One last reason to hope SF sucks, I'm in the second round of fantasy playoffs up by 2 points with Boldin left while my opponent has SF D. Go Dirty Birds! Send me to my fantasy superbowl and the Cardinals to the playoffs after we tap the Niner's ass!

you play in a FF league that has their championship in week 17!? gross

Will the Lions brass fall for this one?

He has to fucking go. What a pathetic, arrogant statement. Rodgers and Cutler were DEAD for half the season and we couldn't win the division? Chicago's defense is so fucked up with injuries I feel bad for them, and I can't stand the Bears. We swept their crippled asses and couldn't win the division?

This is a failure. Period. God I wish they canned his ass today.

So what are the chances of the Cards offering Atlanta good money for the win tonight? Happens all the time in soccer. Players in the nfl must get payed much more though so i dont know if they would care much for extra illegal(?) payment.

Top Bottom