• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 2 |OT| - Manning Bowl III

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Three legends

BT4zOamCEAAqTGg.jpg

gutshot

Oregon has been doing this for 5 years. The inside zone read continues to give teams fits - reading the defensive tackle.

It's not a Vick-specific thing with the slowness to read, either. Darron struggled with that - particularly in the Championship game against Auburn. He was making wrong reads all game, but at least he was passing the ball relatively well. It just comes with the territory. Mariota seemed to pick it up quicker than Darron - mostly because Mariota is a lot more willing to run with it. That Cal game in 2011, Darron was super hesitant to pull the ball and take it for some reason.

Yeah, I know Kelly has been doing this kind of thing for a while now. I think this is the first time it's been done at the NFL-level though. And the thing is everyone was talking all off-season about how defensive coordinators were studying up on how to stop the zone-read and that Kelly will need to come up with tweaks and changes to stay ahead of these now-suddenly-enlightened D coordinators. The thing is he already did that, years ago. It's like he's playing chess but can see his opponent's next 5 moves in advance.

And I just have to say, I can't wait to get Mariota in Eagles green. :D

Dat Eagles jump. They made massive jumps in pretty much all rankings. I am scared it will be short lived. Still, I haven't been this excited to watch Eagles football since like 2005.

Dude, what have you done? Now the ghost of TO is going to come back and haunt this season.

ChanHuk

Banned
You think the Giants would trade for Darren McFadden? DMac is an amazing blocking back, until he slips on grass and gets hurt.

Yeah, I know Kelly has been doing this kind of thing for a while now. I think this is the first time it's been done at the NFL-level though. And the thing is everyone was talking all off-season about how defensive coordinators were studying up on how to stop the zone-read and that Kelly will need to come up with tweaks and changes to stay ahead of these now-suddenly-enlightened D coordinators. The thing is he already did that, years ago. It's like he's playing chess but can see his opponent's next 5 moves in advance.

And I just have to say, I can't wait to get Mariota in Eagles green. :D

Dude, what have you done? Now the ghost of TO is going to come back and haunt this season.

Man hearing Gruden talk about walking into Hasletts office on Monday and he was watching the tape of Oregon versus Arkansas State had me cracking up. DCs will catch up and adjust, but it wont be beacuse they watched tape from years ago against some nothing team.

BigAT

You think the Giants would trade for Darren McFadden? DMac is an amazing blocking back, until he slips on grass and gets hurt.

No, the Giants are not going to give up anything for a big name RB when they just need a veteran to be a band aid for the next 7 weeks.

squicken

The young QBs ranked by ESPN, using a list of factors

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9658208/nfl-hot-read-how-do-young-qbs-become-great

Intelligence

Rankings: 1. Luck 2. Griffin 3. Wilson 4. Kaepernick 5. Newton

This also happens to be an area where Newton and Kaepernick haven't been as impressive as their peers. One AFC quarterbacks coach said "Cam Newton isn't Andrew Luck because he can't fix protection [schemes] on his own."

ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer said Kaepernick is still in the early stages of his development. "What the 49ers are doing with Kaepernick is brilliant," Dilfer said. "It's [offensive coordinator] Greg Roman. It's the pistol [offense] and the power run game. I've told Colin this already, but he's playing remedial football over there. He sees five coverages a game where Tom Brady sees five coverages in his first six snaps. All those guys who run the zone read are seeing about one-tenth of what defenses can throw at them."

Durability

Rankings: 1. Luck 2. Wilson 3. Kaepernick 4. Newton 5. Griffin

Long before his success in San Francisco, Hall of Fame head coach Bill Walsh used to rave about a gifted first-year quarterback he met as a Cincinnati Bengals assistant in 1969. The kid's name was Greg Cook. He was the AFL Rookie of the Year, but his career consisted of just 12 games because of a devastating shoulder injury.

One player in this current group consistently evokes concerns that he could meet a similar fate: Griffin.

Much more at the link

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hopefully looking forward to being able to sit in front of my TV and watch a full day of NFL football.

Because I want your hate know that I have playoff games on Sunday for my baseball team. Best of 3 series:

9am Game 1
10:30am Game 2
noon Game 3 (if neccessary)

Wish me luck!

Talon

If I had to watch the Eagles every game, I heart would be sitting in my throat for three hours. I was scared shitless when he was in Atlanta every single time he reached down to adjust his socks. I have to imagine Yankee is doing the same thing nowadays.

Clockwork5

http://pro32.ap.org/poll

Ap Pro32 power rankings are up

These are much more on point than ESPN's Power Popularity Rankings.

Also, after watching some of the film from the DAL / NYG game I can understand why the Chiefs are 3 point favorites in Sunday's game. I think the Cowboys looked even more terrible than Eli and the Giants... just a bit luckier. But man that was an ugly game. Is it too early to start Tomahawk Chopping?

Seanspeed

Banned
Definitely think Luck has the best chances of becoming a great out of all the younger QB's. The guy just looks like a natural and can also beast things out of nowhere.

gutshot

If I had to watch the Eagles every game, I heart would be sitting in my throat for three hours. I was scared shitless when he was in Atlanta every single time he reached down to adjust his socks. I have to imagine Yankee is doing the same thing nowadays.

I can't speak for yankeehater but I'm not that worried about it, because I think Foles can run this offense pretty well. He's not going to bring as much athleticism as Vick, but he makes better and faster reads. The guy I worry about is Shady. Bryce Brown is good and all, but McCoy is something special.

squicken

Damn. Cam Newton was skewered.

Polian in particular hates Newton. I was surprised how strongly he felt

Supporting cast

Rankings: 1. Kaepernick 2. Wilson 3. Griffin 4. Luck 5. Newton

The minute Polian selected Manning with the first pick in the 1998 draft, his next mission as general manager of the Colts was obvious: Find some help for his gifted quarterback. Polian didn't see "help" only as players, either. He wanted coaches who could help Manning blossom over the next decade.

"I remember being in Buffalo and watching how [former Bills quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator] Ted Marchibroda helped a young Jim Kelly," said Polian, who was Buffalo's general manager from 1986 to 1992. "Jim was frustrated because he'd come out of the USFL and he'd never really failed. But he struggled in that first year in Buffalo, and Ted helped him grow from it."

The most common word used to describe the best environment for a young quarterback is "fit." That includes coaches, systems, teammates and, above all else, faith. Said Denver Broncos quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp: "The first thing really is fit. Does the guy fit the building that he's coming into? Is it a really good learning environment? Is there patience? And does that quarterback take over a team with a good defense? You can play a lot differently with a team that has a good defense and good special teams. In the case of a Russell Wilson, Seattle could be patient with him because the pressure wasn't on him to throw all the time."

Wilson and Kaepernick both benefit from exceptional supporting casts that should be together for years. The Seahawks and 49ers both had defenses and rushing attacks that ranked in the top five in the NFL last season. Griffin played with a rookie running back, Alfred Morris, who rushed for a team-record 1,613 yards and a defense that will be improved with the return of injured linebacker Brian Orakpo.

Luck and Newton, on the other hand, work with teams still developing. Newton especially is facing a potentially pivotal point in his young career. His new general manager, Dave Gettleman, already has publicly said that "now it's time to win," and Newton's critics far outnumber those of his peers. Polian went so far as to say, "Newton shouldn't be included with this current group," and another AFC quarterbacks coach added that "he's a 'me' guy at heart. That will always creep into his game. He can't handle criticism and he goes into a shell at times. Does he have all-star talent? Sure. But he needs help."

"I really think Cam is on the verge of going through what Alex Smith faced in San Francisco," Mariucci said. "If [Panthers head coach] Ron Rivera doesn't win enough games, there could be a change there. And Cam could end up taking a step backwards before he takes two steps forward."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9658208/nfl-hot-read-how-do-young-qbs-become-great

Much more at the link

I'm sorry, but I'm calling into question Griffin being the most accurate of the five QBs. Yes, I understand Monday's game was probably an aberration fueled more by his absence than a lack of skill, but even last season there were throws that concerned me. I'd actually put Wilson ahead of every one else right now. Luck will probably change all that pretty soon though, same with Kaepernick.

Bowser

Much more at the link

smh at all the bias against Newton. Apparently Cam is an unintelligent, non-durable QB who lacks accuracy (69% vs Seattle), any weapons and any semblance of a sense of urgency despite back to back losing seasons and a HC who is coaching for his job.

lol at Cam being 4th on durability...if there's one thing he's clearly the best at it's durability. Wilson more durable than Cam? GTFO.

Luck and Newton, on the other hand, work with teams still developing. Newton especially is facing a potentially pivotal point in his young career. His new general manager, Dave Gettleman, already has publicly said that "now it's time to win," and Newton's critics far outnumber those of his peers. Polian went so far as to say, "Newton shouldn't be included with this current group," and another AFC quarterbacks coach added that "he's a 'me' guy at heart. That will always creep into his game. He can't handle criticism and he goes into a shell at times. Does he have all-star talent? Sure. But he needs help."

Shit like this makes my blood boil...how would this dumbass even know? Easy to say when you can hide behind the anonymity of your words.

Said Moon: "I've never seen a player prepare like Russell Wilson does. If Peyton Manning and Tom Brady prepare harder than this guy does, then I want to see what they do. He came in here with routines for taking care of his body, when he needs to rest, how much he needs to study. He didn't waste a minute last year. The only thing I know he did that wasn't football-related during the season was make visits to the children's hospital on his off days."

Really?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Not a single mention of Tannehill? Fucken stupid.

I would argue the more egregious part was Matthew Stafford getting left out, yet again. He is only 25 and the same age as Kaep.

He just doesn`t get the same love because Staffords` talent was evident to be picked #1 in the NFL draft at 21 whereas Kaep got picked a year later.

Keep sleeping on Stafford though. It works to our advantedge.

smh at all the bias against Newton. Apparently Cam is an unintelligent, non-durable QB who lacks accuracy (69% vs Seattle), any weapons and any semblance of a sense of urgency despite back to back losing seasons and a HC who is coaching for his job.

lol at Cam being 4th on durability...if there's one thing he's clearly the best at it's durability. Wilson more durable than Cam? GTFO.

This.

He's taken the most hits (by far) of any QB and has never missed a snap because of injury. That's just blatant hating there.

And I call bull on Griffin's accuracy too. Wilson, Luck, and hell even Kaepernick are all more accurate than him.

I would argue the more egregious part was Matthew Stafford getting left out, yet again. He is only 25 and the same age as Kaep.

He just doesn`t get the same love because Staffords` talent was evident to be picked #1 in the NFL draft at 21 whereas Kaep got picked a year later.

even you will finally admit that stafford isn't nearly as good as kap. kap is a better runner, a better passer, is less obese, turns the ball over less and wins more games

Oh stop. By now we know what we are getting with Stafford. We've seen his durability, we've seen his accuracy, and we've seen his supporting cast. There's nothing to evaluate.

Bowser

This.

He's taken the most hits (by far) of any QB and has never missed a snap because of injury. That's just blatant hating there.

And I call bull on Griffin's accuracy too. Wilson, Luck, and hell even Kaepernick are all more accurate than him.

CamNewton_Injury_original.gif

Cam missed one play after this hit. One.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
even you will finally admit that stafford isn't nearly as good as kap. kap is a better runner, a better passer, is less obese, turns the ball over less and wins more games

in Staffords defense, he's severally handicapped by his coach, and the retards that play for his defense.

It would be rough if I was rooting for Vick but luckily I am not. I do want the Eagles to succeed but I wish nothing to misery upon Vick. I just wish the Eagles had a backup that I thought could run the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom