• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 2 |OT| - Manning Bowl III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomex

We share a birthday with the great Rockin' Robin Yount! No reason to be down friend.

Happy Birthday Ez. You were always destined for that grumpyness. Check out your baby picture.

BDEdMtFCQAAMlZX.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Woooo Dolphins win!!! (I know I'm late) what a great game :D AFC East is as good as ours!! Also I'm basically tied with one other co-worker (we both picked cincy tonight) in the office pick'ems for $175 prize, just depends on tie breaker tonight :D

Tenumi

Banned
Look, I tried to join the community back in the preseason. But I couldn't. It was just too toxic. I will admit that I have anxiety and depression issues, probably more severe than most people who know me realize. I'm also passionate about my interests. Football happens to be one of them. I could talk for days about the strategy and preparation that goes on before, during, and after games.

Thing is, the past few seasons have severely grated on my interest in the game. With yes, the bounty scandal, and the vilification of Suh, I find it harder and harder to support the game. Fans calling for the death of the commissioner (Not here, at another forum) because they penalized their team for a system that encourages the potential damage to the future life of a player. I understand the reputation of Suh, and quite a bit of it I agree with. But he's human. You want to fight back against him? Stonewall him. Take him out of the game with your play. Nothing is more humiliating to a player than being absolutely shut down.

I also happen to like the idea of the game being safer. But that makes me alone, it seems. I've been concussed before, and it is not a fun experience. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, and any movement made to prevent them is worthwhile. But any time anything is done, fans complain. What is it going to take for fans to see why the league is doing what it can to improve the safety of the game? The death of a fan favorite player because of a hit that could've been prevented.

I don't hate you people. I just wish you could see beyond your own visions, try and understand what and why others think the way they do. But to me, it appears that isn't possible. It hurts me to watch as I'm torn into like a piece of meat. When I made that post, it wasn't to cause controversy. I just found the post disturbing. Then everything about me suddenly became fair game to insult me.

I'm not saying I won't post here again. I may as well, especially in the offseason. But for now, this girl doesn't feel welcome here.

Pretty much. Our team can't get out of the habit of continuously trying to improve and properly planning for the game ahead.

I've been really glad to see stuff like this:
https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/status/379676382315307008

Instead of the expected self-congratulation after such a game.

Wussle had an awful game. But for kap having a worse one that is what we'd be talking about.

Cheatin Pete and Dicksher were also talking trash after the game. We must defend our honor in San Fran

Look, I tried to join the community back in the preseason. But I couldn't. It was just too toxic. I will admit that I have anxiety and depression issues, probably more severe than most people who know me realize. I'm also passionate about my interests. Football happens to be one of them. I could talk for days about the strategy and preparation that goes on before, during, and after games.

Thing is, the past few seasons have severely grated on my interest in the game. With yes, the bounty scandal, and the vilification of Suh, I find it harder and harder to support the game. Fans calling for the death of the commissioner (Not here, at another forum) because they penalized their team for a system that encourages the potential damage to the future life of a player. I understand the reputation of Suh, and quite a bit of it I agree with. But he's human. You want to fight back against him? Stonewall him. Take him out of the game with your play. Nothing is more humiliating to a player than being absolutely shut down.

I also happen to like the idea of the game being safer. But that makes me alone, it seems. I've been concussed before, and it is not a fun experience. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, and any movement made to prevent them is worthwhile. But any time anything is done, fans complain. What is it going to take for fans to see why the league is doing what it can to improve the safety of the game? The death of a fan favorite player because of a hit that could've been prevented.

I don't hate you people. I just wish you could see beyond your own visions, try and understand what and why others think the way they do. But to me, it appears that isn't possible. It hurts me to watch as I'm torn into like a piece of meat. When I made that post, it wasn't to cause controversy. I just found the post disturbing. Then everything about me suddenly became fair game to insult me.

I'm not saying I won't post here again. I may as well, especially in the offseason. But for now, this girl doesn't feel welcome here.

What do you mean "you people"?

squicken

Pretty much. Our team can't get out of the habit of continuously trying to improve and properly planning for the game ahead.

I've been really glad to see stuff like this:
https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/status/379676382315307008

Instead of the expected self-congratulation after such a game.

Well, Russ played pretty bad. Kap played far worse so it's not a story today

Sports thread just aren't even going to be consistently civil. No reason to subject yourself to it if it bums you out. Be well, bro.

Don't take things so seriously. It's just football

You've already lost because you've taken something seriously in this thread. Never take anything seriously in this thread.

I get you. Yeah, a lot of the people in this place are a little surly (usually influenced by a lot of alcohol) but at the same time try not to take so much of what is said seriously. As someone -- I think Slay -- pointed out is much of what's said hear is usually in humorous hyperbole. Nobody, hopefully, seriously wishes for Suh or anyone else to be injured. I know I don't. But really I can only speak for myself here.

cdyhybrid

I'm sorry you feel that way, but 99% of the posts in here are tongue-in-cheek. We regularly give each other shit and get shit in return, so we're used to it. I understand it can be offputting, but this is just kind of how a lot of online sports communities are.

I'd love to have you post here as well as anyone else lurking right now, you just can't take everything posted seriously.

That said, there's also a more X's and O's-oriented football thread here. It's not as active as this thread, but it sounds like something you might be interested in. That said, nothing wrong with posting in both threads!

P.S. Who's your team?

Cheers?

damn olds

Fuck you, you pair of shoes. Cheers is godly.

Milchjon

I don't think we should push our luck in here, stuff like Blackace telling Chan to stop the insults is worrying enough.

I don't want to end up like Footy/NBA/Pop GAF.

That being said, Happy Birthday jak and ez!

Narag

I think an on-field death is something everyone secretly dreads but for the most part, this community is good about commiserating with one another when a player goes down outside of the hyperbolic posts towards those that have been built up into memetic super villains (Brady, Suh, once upon a time Favre.) No one wants to see some guy's livelihood be ripped out from beneath him like that.

Tenumi

Banned
What do you mean "you people"?

As in the NFLGAF community. No offense intended by that wording.

As for seriousness, like I said, I'm passionate. Its difficult to flip off a switch and just start joking around. I will defend them to the death if necessary. Can't really help how my mind is wired.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Intention isn't the same as effectiveness. Sometimes you do things that are meant to increase safety but in fact do little or even do the opposite. Sometimes you say you want to do something, make some efforts in that direction, but also make efforts on the side that run directly counter to it. A lot of criticism of NFL policy has been around those lines, like how changes to tackling technique make players more vulnerable than they used to be rather than less.

eznark

Banned

As for seriousness, like I said, I'm passionate. Its difficult to flip off a switch and just start joking around. I will defend them to the death if necessary. Can't really help how my mind is wired.

You should see the things we say to the people we like.

jakncoke

Banned

I think its because you're a Lions fan so your mind got all fucked up by the idk entire franchise history of shitting the bed. Sucks to suck bro

Narag

Intention isn't the same as effectiveness. Sometimes you do things that are meant to increase safety but in fact do little or even do the opposite. Sometimes you say you want to do something, make some efforts in that direction, but also make efforts on the side that run directly counter to it. A lot of criticism of NFL policy has been around those lines, like how changes to tackling technique make players more vulnerable than they used to be rather than less.

The eighteen games thing is another example. Gotta protect our guys; better make them play more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom