• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 2 |OT| - Manning Bowl III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

------------------------------
Carolina at Buffalo-

This is a must win, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Richardson is loyal (to a fault) but he's not going to let this team get off to another terrible start without making changes. This week was yet another game that they had no business letting go, but threw it away. Rivera literally shitting himself at the thought of making big decisions, Shula being afraid of throwing the ball past ten yards (Why the fuck do you let TED GINN MOTHERFUCKING JR. play WR if you're not going to use him as a deep threat), Olsen developing dropsies at the worst possible time, boneheaded penalties (How exactly does one get called for the same exact damn penalty on consecutive punts, Armond Smith?), the secondary being who we thought they were (ASS), and DeAngelo Williams effectively ending the game by putting the ball on the turf. The "bad team" mentality that's permeated this team for the past two years was still there on display Sunday. Winners find ways to win, losers try their absolute damnedest to lose. That's the way the team has been under Rivera. This team better shapen up real quick, starting with beating a Buffalo team that they should beat, or shoes will start dropping. Lose this game and Rivera might not make it to October.
------------------------------

http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=0b654d90-055f-4fd7-a62c-b65ad825e0c6

I guarantee we win this game. C'mon at me Bills bros, week-long avi bet!

I've come crashing back down to earth.

SD is going to come in super pissed after the way they lost and devour the Eagles.

I think the Chargers will bring their A+ game on Sunday. What a crushing way for them to lose. Rivers looked great through 2.5 quarters yesterday, I really worry about our secondary against a QB that can throw more then 10 yards downfield. Plus whether they admit it or not, I bet a ton of guys are going to be looking forward to Thursday. I think they lose Sunday then beat the Chiefs and then get pummeled by the Broncos. 2-2 is not a bad start at all.

ShaneB

So, as a casual fan that posted briefly in the preseason thread, I’m looking to actually learn a bit more about football and expand beyond my casual knowledge of the sport. I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rHMmd2PbE….. which helped a lot :p ,but I figure I could do with something a bit more in depth. I’ve understood the basics for as long as I remember, but seems time to finally get a better grasp on it and enjoy football as more than something on in the background.

I just bought the book “America’s Game” and seems like it’s great insight into the appeal of football and the overall scope of the sport, with some added history, etc etc. In terms of learning more though, I’m just looking for some recommendations on resources. Should I just pick up a copy of “Football for Dummies” and have that as reference from time to time? I mean it’s by Howie Long! I'm sure NFL.com must have a beginners section or something, but I'm sure there are much more entertaining sources than that. And for reference, I wouldn't consider myself a beginner I guess, just when it comes to advanced football stuff, that's when I get lost.

Thanks in advance folks! (Still trying to decide a specific team to follow :p)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Chargers choke?

Texans skate by?

It truly is football season.
Texans skate by? When have the Texans ever skated by? Do you know how many times the Texans have been on the other end of a game like last night.

very enjoyable hearing dilfer deflate like he did towards the end of the texans game
Ha, I couldn't last half a quarter listening to them. I turned on Vandemeer and Andre Ware, at least they can get players names correct.

What a game, crazy.
Everything went the chargers way in the first half, often by mere inches too, with Andre barely being down, that chargers receiver barely getting the pylon.

Oddly though I never though there's no way they win this, the offense played well in the first half but Lestar Jean's two holding penalties killed them. After the chargers came out and scored in the second half, I was going to turn it off and go to bed if the Texans didnt do anything with the ball. I wonder how many people are waking up this morning pissed off thinking they lost cause they turned it off at the half.

What I didnt like, the first half defense, should be obvious.
Kickoff returns, though they looked a little better than last year, but dear god if you bobble the ball just fucking kneel it.
Rustiness from Cushing, foster and a few others. No training camp will do that.

What I liked: the texans team leaders came up big when they needed them to.
Schaub, Andre, Watt, Cushing, Manning all made great plays to get them back in it.
Kubiak being more aggressive. Going for it on fourth down, the fake punt. Even the drive before the half, i can't tell you how many times ive seen them come out and take a knee in that situation, sure they got nothing from it, but at least they tried for once.

Oh yea, also loved rookie kicker nailing a clutch game winning 40+ yard field goal

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So, as a casual fan that posted briefly in the preseason thread, I’m looking to actually learn a bit more about football and expand beyond my casual knowledge of the sport. I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rHMmd2PbE….. which helped a lot :p ,but I figure I could do with something a bit more in depth. I’ve understood the basics for as long as I remember, but seems time to finally get a better grasp on it and enjoy football as more than something on in the background.

I just bought the book “America’s Game” and seems like it’s great insight into the appeal of football and the overall scope of the sport, with some added history, etc etc. In terms of learning more though, I’m just looking for some recommendations on resources. Should I just pick up a copy of “Football for Dummies” and have that as reference from time to time? I mean it’s by Howie Long! I'm sure NFL.com must have a beginners section or something, but I'm sure there are much more entertaining sources than that.

Poke around in Madden and remember you can't usually jetpack receivers in real life.

BigAT

I just bought the book “America’s Game” and seems like it’s great insight into the appeal of football and the overall scope of the sport, with some added history, etc etc. In terms of learning more though, I’m just looking for some recommendations on resources. Should I just pick up a copy of “Football for Dummies” and have that as reference from time to time? I mean it’s by Howie Long! I'm sure NFL.com must have a beginners section or something, but I'm sure there are much more entertaining sources than that. And for reference, I wouldn't consider myself a beginner I guess, just when it comes to advanced football stuff, that's when I get lost.

The Advanced Football thread has an absurd amount of information and resources in it, check it out.

ShaneB

The Advanced Football thread has an absurd amount of information and resources in it, check it out.

Well then... that seems good enough for what I need. lol Thanks.

How the fuck did the Chargers not win last night? Gotdamn. Went to be thinking that was over.
What the?? I've been busy at work so I didn't even get a chance to check, but I went to bed thinking the same. Must've been a crazy game.

gutshot

I think the Chargers will bring their A+ game on Sunday. What a crushing way for them to lose. Rivers looked great through 2.5 quarters yesterday, I really worry about our secondary against a QB that can throw more then 10 yards downfield. Plus whether they admit it or not, I bet a ton of guys are going to be looking forward to Thursday. I think they lose Sunday then beat the Chiefs and then get pummeled by the Broncos. 2-2 is not a bad start at all.

I can't tell if you guys are doing this to avoid jinxing your team or if you are really this pessimistic.

rando14

WEEK 2 Schedule

THU, SEP 12
NY Jets at New England

SUN, SEP 15
Early
St. Louis at Atlanta
Carolina at Buffalo
Minnesota at Chicago
Washington at Green Bay
Miami at Indianapolis
Dallas at Kansas City
Cleveland at Baltimore
Tennessee at Houston
San Diego at Philadelphia
Late
Detroit at Arizona
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Denver at NY Giants
Jacksonville at Oakland
Night
San Francisco at Seattle

MON, SEP 16
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
WEEK 2 Schedule

THU, SEP 12
NY Jets at New England

SUN, SEP 15
Early
St. Louis at Atlanta
Carolina at Buffalo
Minnesota at Chicago
Washington at Green Bay
Miami at Indianapolis
Dallas at Kansas City
Cleveland at Baltimore
Tennessee at Houston
Late
Detroit at Arizona
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Denver at NY Giants
Jacksonville at Oakland
Night
San Francisco at Seattle

MON, SEP 16
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati

Last week 0-0 forgot to make picks or really check this thread at all, was too excited for football to be back!

Matugi

I am definitely worried the Redskins are gonna start 0-2. It's not a huge deal with the Lions and Raiders before the bye, but with a brutal second-half schedule it is paramount they start 3-1 before the bye.

Just wanted to sum up some thoughts on the Lions vs.Vikings from Sunday (because I know everyone cares)

Pros
- Outside of the first play, the Lions really bottled up AP and bullied a decent O-line from the Vikings.
- As much as I hate Delmas, having him and Quinn roaming the safety positions really seemed to limit the shots deep down field. Outside of the ridiculous Jerome Simpson catch, in which Detroit was playing single man with no one over top, no real big follies from the back four play. This is probably because it's Ponder, but still an improvement.
- The Linebackers played way beyond my expectations. The D-line play helped, but I was really impressed.
- The coaching staff, for the first time ever in Schwartz's tenure, made halftime adjustments. I was speechless
- The O-line was really impressive, particularly the tackles and solid play by rookie guard Larry Warford. Of course it helped Kevin Williams was out, but still.
- Reggie Bush is on track to crush the 1800 yard mark by week 10. And Joquie Bell balls so hard.
- Nate Burleson, Patrick Edwards, and Jospeh Fauria all made a positive impact in the passing game.
- Stafford was quick with the relase and generally pretty effective throwing.
- Sam Martin was the best pick the Lions have had in a draft in 10 years

Cons
- This team may never rid themselves of dumb penalties under Schwartz. The Suh block was unbelievable and Delmas running his mouth is a clear sign nothing has really changed.
- Turnovers were from sloppy play and that needs to be fixed
- The offensive line needs to put a fist in someones stomach to stop all of those swats at the line of scrimmage. Discourage the opposing D-lines from jumping at will
- Brandon Dropsigrew and Tony Scheffler looked terrible in the pass game. One can't hold onto the ball and the other is invisible on the field. Fauria is the future
- Drops from the offense as a whole were just terrible. Even Calvin had a few drops.

While I have way more pros than cons, it is a direct result from the low expectations I had for the team. Even if the pros continue to out weigh the cons, Detroit will be in trouble against a team like the Packers if they keep making sloppy mistakes like they did Sunday. Overall, glad to have the win and ready to move onto Arizona for revenge from last year.

Dragon

Banned
Wanted to sum up my thoughts about the Pats:

They sucked hard. Brady looked like shit. The defense made EJ Manuel looked like Joe Montana.

They sucked.

Go Julian.

Just wanted to sum up some thoughts on the Lions vs.Vikings from Sunday (because I know everyone cares)

Pros
- Outside of the first play, the Lions really bottled up AP and bullied a decent O-line from the Vikings.
- As much as I hate Delmas, having him and Quinn roaming the safety positions really seemed to limit the shots deep down field. Outside of the ridiculous Jerome Simpson catch, in which Detroit was playing single man with no one over top, no real big follies from the back four play. This is probably because it's Ponder, but still an improvement.
- The Linebackers played way beyond my expectations. The D-line play helped, but I was really impressed.
- The coaching staff, for the first time ever in Schwartz's tenure, made halftime adjustments. I was speechless
- The O-line was really impressive, particularly the tackles and solid play by rookie guard Larry Warford. Of course it helped Kevin Williams was out, but still.
- Reggie Bush is on track to crush the 1800 yard mark by week 10. And Joquie Bell balls so hard.
- Nate Burleson, Patrick Edwards, and Jospeh Fauria all made a positive impact in the passing game.
- Stafford was quick with the relase and generally pretty effective throwing.
- Sam Martin was the best pick the Lions have had in a draft in 10 years

Cons
- This team may never rid themselves of dumb penalties under Schwartz. The Suh block was unbelievable and Delmas running his mouth is a clear sign nothing has really changed.
- Turnovers were from sloppy play and that needs to be fixed
- The offensive line needs to put a fist in someones stomach to stop all of those swats at the line of scrimmage. Discourage the opposing D-lines from jumping at will
- Brandon Dropsigrew and Tony Scheffler looked terrible in the pass game. One can't hold onto the ball and the other is invisible on the field. Fauria is the future
- Drops from the offense as a whole were just terrible. Even Calvin had a few drops.

While I have way more pros than cons, it is a direct result from the low expectations I had for the team. Even if the pros continue to out weigh the cons, Detroit will be in trouble against a team like the Packers if they keep making sloppy mistakes like they did Sunday. Overall, glad to have the win and ready to move onto Arizona for revenge from last year.

It will be interesting, both teams have made improvements and we managed to crush you when we were at our lowest last year. You will certainly be able to exploit our OL on the left side and I expect Reggie Bush will be another player that benefits tremendously from D Wash being out. Graham next week? Maybe this wasn't a convenient set of matches for D Wash to miss out on after all. Suspensions are brutal.

Nori Chan

Nori I hope you feel bad this morning. So much hope in your eyes. Then it was all taken away by Schaub da gawd in the 2nd half. It's what happens when you keep referring to the MVP as my father. Karma.. Or just the SD Chargers not sure yet

pretty sure it was the chargers

you shouldnt feel good about the win doe

That's awesome. I hope you ask more questions and get into football. As far as rooting for a team, pick whomever you like.

new-york-giants-football-tickets.jpg

Doomsayer

THU, SEP 12
NY Jets at New England

SUN, SEP 15
Early
St. Louis at Atlanta
Carolina at Buffalo
Minnesota at Chicago
Washington at Green Bay
Miami at Indianapolis
Dallas at Kansas City
Cleveland at Baltimore
Tennessee at Houston
Late
Detroit at Arizona
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Denver at NY Giants
Jacksonville at Oakland
Night
San Francisco at Seattle

MON, SEP 16
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati

Fuck the Hawks.

Go Niners.

I can't tell if you guys are doing this to avoid jinxing your team or if you are really this pessimistic.

I dont believe in jinxes at all. I also dont think I am being pessimistic at all. It was an exciting win but it was against a severally gimped QB. He couldnt plant on his front foot and had no zip on his passes. He the only deep ball RGIII completed all night was that horrible wobbly pass that Chung camped under but picked the wrong spot. I am seriously worried about what Rivers is going to do. He destroyed the Texans for a half last night and they are supposed to have a great defense. If the Eagles come out and actually beat the Chargers I will feel much better about things.

bionic77

Wanted to sum up my thoughts about the Pats:

They sucked hard. Brady looked like shit. The defense made EJ Manuel looked like Joe Montana.

They sucked.

Go Julian.
We sucked bigger, harder and just more and our entire team is made of glass.

Cry me a fucking river.

jbug617

Banned
WEEK 2 Schedule

THU, SEP 12
NY Jets at New England

SUN, SEP 15
Early
St. Louis at Atlanta
Carolina at Buffalo
Minnesota at Chicago
Washington at Green Bay
Miami at Indianapolis
Dallas at Kansas City
Cleveland at Baltimore
Tennessee at Houston
Late
Detroit at Arizona
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Denver at NY Giants
Jacksonville at Oakland
Night
San Francisco at Seattle

MON, SEP 16
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati

Dragon

Banned
They werent that bad. They only gave up 14 points.

Pffh. They weren't that good. Buffalo's offense sucks. Sure they shut down Spiller, I'll give them that. But I should be blaming Stevan Ridley more, you're right.

I'm hearing that Amendeola is gonna be out thursday.

Brady could be out and the Pats would still be favored.

We sucked bigger, harder and just more and our entire team is made of glass.

Cry me a fucking river.

Can't comment since I didn't see it and stats are not something bionic supports out of context. But I can't tell you how wonderful this comment makes me feel. It's like building a computer and turning it on and having it post the first time. Warm and fuzzy.

Colasante

While you never know how severe an injury could end up being, I don't think it's necessarily a bad sign for Amendola long-term that he's being held out of Thursday's game. It's a quick turnaround and it makes no sense to risk reaggravation.

With Vereen and company banged up, the defense will need to win the game against the Jets. If they're unable to keep the mighty Geno Smith at bay, then they don't deserve to win anyway.

Pffh. They weren't that good. Buffalo's offense sucks. Sure they shut down Spiller, I'll give them that. But I should be blaming Stevan Ridley more, you're right.

Brady could be out and the Pats would still be favored.

I don't think the defense played poorly at all, besides the blown coverage on the Woods' touchdown and what seemed to be a miscommunication between McCourty and Arrington on Johnson's touchdown. The lack of a pass rush was very concerning, but I think part of that was on how well Manuel played and his ability to get the ball out quickly.

ShaneB

That's awesome. I hope you ask more questions and get into football. As far as rooting for a team, pick whomever you like.

Heh, thanks for the reply! In my first post in the preseason thread, I explained a bit more, and discussed a few teams I don't particularly like, the Giants being one of those teams. My apologies kind sir :)

While you never know how severe an injury could end up being, I don't think it's necessarily a bad sign for Amendola long-term that he's being held out of Thursday's game. It's a quick turnaround and it makes no sense to risk reaggravation.

With Vereen and company banged up, the defense will need to win the game against the Jets. If they're unable to keep the mighty Geno Smith at bay, then they don't deserve to win anyway.

Indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom