• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 5 |OT| - Are you ready for some 11:35 pm football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

On the Monroe thing, couldn't the jags have gotten a higher compensatory pick if they let him walk in FA? Maybe a 3rd? If I understand the rules right, but i guess that's a 2015 pick vs 2014 picks.

Compensatory picks aren't that reliable. Both in that you don't know what you would get for letting any single free agent walk and the fact that it also factors in what free agents you sign. If the Jags brought in some big free agents, they wouldn't necessarily get anything from letting Monroe walk. It's not like baseball where free agents get classified based on the compensatory picks they would return.

Striker

Brandon Myers' blocking

ibuHSkFAf9y4pR.gif

Bear Pascoe had a similar play that had Eli getting hit.

BigAT

Brandon Myers' blocking

http://i.minus.com/ibuHSkFAf9y4pR.gif[IMG]

Bear Pascoe had a similar play that had Eli getting hit.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I remember that play. He shows up all tough and screams "THIS IS MY MEAN FACE!" then just gets ignored since he's incredibly flat footed and off balance.

Myers has been incredibly disappointing to me. I expected him to have a big year considering he put up pretty nice numbers with Oakland last year and the Giants have had nobodies have success in the past at TE. You would think the middle of the field would be open for him with defenses focusing on Cruz, Nicks and Randle. But he has been an afterthought and it feels like the majority of his numbers have come in garbage time when the opposing defense abandons the middle. On top of all that his blocking is atrocious.

squicken

Ugh, I remember that play. He shows up all tough and screams "THIS IS MY MEAN FACE!" then just gets ignored since he's incredibly flat footed and off balance.

I watched some of the previous Giants games from earlier this year just to see the line play and what was wrong. I thought the biggest problem thing was that they just looked stiff. Like they can't move. Can't get to the second level. No lateral movement. Except Pugh. Who seems to just need more strength and work on technique. Like he doesn't get himself in the right position to give and absorb punches all the time. I know that they have been rotating guys b/c of health so maybe it will get better. But at least the first few games the interior was essentially shutting your offense down b/c of Snee

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
No. Missed all of OTA's and played 2 weeks in pre season before going on IR. 3rd round bust.

Ill just make it easy: anyone posting here with an anime avatar just goes on the ignore list.

i'm pretty sure you can't put yourself on you're own ignore list.

squicken

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Ravens aren't the only team in AFC North moving for tackle help - Steelers and Cards are hammering out a trade sending Levi Brown to PITT

Good job Colbert. Best place to shop for linemen is in Arizona

Brandon Myers' blocking

ibuHSkFAf9y4pR.gif

Bear Pascoe had a similar play that had Eli getting hit.
Hindsight being 20/20 I'm not sure I understand what they're doing with Myers. He has never been and will never be a blocker. If they were using him as the move TE and primarily as a receiving threat - ok. Maybe the Robinson injury is forcing them to use him as a blocker but that's just one example out of MANY of how poor a blocker he really is. The 3rd and 1 pitch to Wilson was blown up because NONE of the TE's in front of him could block! I need to gif that play during my lunch actually and post it.

Speaking of TE's, Pat Traina has another excellent article on the Giants defense and our weakness against tight ends. Worth a read as it has some good x's and o's stuff:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...defense-struggles-against-opposing-tight-ends

jbug617

Banned
Steelers also trading for a tackle accordin Lacanfora

Ravens aren't the only team in AFC North moving for tackle help - Steelers and Cards are hammering out a trade sending Levi Brown to PITT

Striker

IBut at least the first few games the interior was essentially shutting your offense down b/c of Snee
I think Pugh will be a solid starter - just needs to hit the weight room and add more strength. I think he can be a starter inside at guard too if need be (say if a good OT is available that the FO likes).

But yeah, Snee's done. He supposedly is having trouble moving and is likely going to get surgery and head to IR. Baas is also injured and it's truly a guessing game when he's healthy or not. Hopefully they can get to do the smart thing and shed major money off the books by having Snee, Baas, and Diehl moved out.

squicken

Oh boy, Arizona's line is going to get even worse? Poor Palmer. Who are they playing this weekend?

The thing is, Brown hasn't been all that better than Batiste was last year. The only reason the Steelers do this is if they think it is a change of scenery thing. Robert Quinn made him look like a traffic cone

I think Pugh will be a solid starter - just needs to hit the weight room and add more strength. I think he can be a starter inside at guard too if need be (say if a good OT is available that the FO likes).
If
when
we end up with a high draft pick then I think that's definitely a possibility. Take a stud LT, move Beatty to the right side and move Pugh inside to right guard. It doesn't resolve the lack of a center and we still need another guard though Brewer could be a stop gap. We have to address the Guard position.

The problem is we'll be overpaying Beatty for playing RT in the scenario thanks to the contract we just gave him. Though the team has to evaluate how he continues on this season because outside of the Dallas game, he's been dreadful. Poor technique, no power or "move" as squicken mentioned. He's always been a finesse type of player so he relied heavily on technique to be effective in the past. No clue what the hell is going on with him outside of just being lazy after getting his payday.

this_guy

You guys reading the thread about the biker who got paralyzed? That thread has me all riled up and I have no sympathy for any of the bikers. Hope they all get caught and do time.

Go Texans!
fuck Schuab!

Two fun facts about the Monroe trade. One he comes with a cap hit of 2.9 mil. We have 1.6 in space so Ravens need to clear up 1.3 so expect to here about some more movement. Two it's the first time Ozzie has ever done a mid-season trade.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 54s

Hearing it will be a late round pick going from PIT and AZ for Levi Brown. Brown's contract will remain as is. Makes $4.75M this year...

Nearly 5 million in salary....

Though its guaranteed in 2013 and he can be cut next year for nothing.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
dammit, the texans need to get in on these tackle trades, Newton isn't cutting it at right tackle.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Nearly 5 million in salary....

Though its guaranteed in 2013 and he can be cut next year for nothing.

Steelers don't have that kind of cap space.

To answer the question of why the Steelers would do this: It's not about finding a long term starter, it's about putting Adams and Gilbert on notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom