• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 5 |OT| - Are you ready for some 11:35 pm football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevelNth

Banned
The thing is, Brown hasn't been all that better than Batiste was last year. The only reason the Steelers do this is if they think it is a change of scenery thing. Robert Quinn made him look like a traffic cone
Wow looks like some UDFA is going to replace him instead. Damn that Panthers front seven is going to have a field day on Sunday.

Colasante

Danny Amendola is moving MUCH better at Patriots practice. In caps. MUCH.

surpirsed-baby.gif

Although if I were to extend the metaphor of the gif, the baby would be able to play with his present for a week, only to have it taken away again.

Would you be mad if I told you that Aldon Smith was better too?

I wouldn't be mad, you would be wrong though.

Houston has 3 more sacks than Aldon, same amount of tackles, 1 more FF and 2 more fumbles recovered. He also doesn't have Justin Smith next to him, plus Justin Houston is the only player of the three who isn't suspended or in rehab.

Conor Orr @ConorTOrr 1m

Coughlin said he feels like Hankins is ready to play. Same with Moore. #nyg

Shaun Rogers, Linval Joseph, Cullen Jenkins and JPP all on the injury report. JPP will practice with a knee issue. It's not like they'll have a choice though bring it on. Get the young guys some reps already.

Colasante

Is there any hope of Armstead playing this year?

Technically yes, he can come back after the Saints game, but considering everything around him and his infection is a bizarre mystery, it's still a big unknown if he's in football shape or not. I believe the last thing I'd heard was that he'd lost weight since OTAs.

GQman2121

Banned
I love our trade for Eugene Monroe. Good business costing only two second day selections in the draft. He's still only 26.

Shaun Rogers, Linval Joseph, Cullen Jenkins and JPP all on the injury report. JPP will practice with a knee issue. It's not like they'll have a choice though bring it on. Get the young guys some reps already.

We can run the table man(according to Rolle) so the young guys probably won't get reps..

jakncoke

Banned
We traded for a bad OL thats going to make 6 million in 2014. Colbert is done as far as im concerned. Fire his ass. How is replacing cheap shitty players with expensive shitty players the fucking answer

We can run the table man(according to Rolle) so the young guys probably won't get reps..
:jnc

Coughlin seems pretty adamant in both getting play time right now. Dline is banged up. He won't have much choice. I'm dying to see more of Demontre.

Though this made me laugh:

Dan Graziano @DanGrazianoESPN 2m

Coughlin said plan is to use BJacobs in short-yardage and goal line situations, though, "I wish we had more of them."

I love you, old man but Jacobs in his prime wasn't a great short yardage back much less now.

Tom Penny

surpirsed-baby.gif

Although if I were to extend the metaphor of the gif, the baby would be able to play with his present for a week, only to have it taken away again.

Meh. I'd prefer some semblance of TE production but with a potential injury to Dobson it doesn't hurt obviously.

Houston has 3 more sacks than Aldon, same amount of tackles, 1 more FF and 2 more fumbles recovered. He also doesn't have Justin Smith next to him, plus Justin Houston is the only player of the three who isn't suspended or in rehab.

And he has played one less game than Houston. If you want to talk stats, here you go:

Houston and Miller have been in the league for three years. Miller has missed 5 games in his career, Houston hasn't missed any.

Miller has 9 fewer tackles, 7 more sacks, 6 more forced fumbles, and 19 more tackles for loss. Houston does get his hands on more balls though (passes defended) and he recovers more fumbles (probably because he isn't always the first one to the ball carrier).

Also it's kind of funny that a Patriots fan is saying that only this season's stats matter for measuring linebackers, when if I asked you who the best QB in the league is, you would say Tom Brady...

Steelers don't have that kind of cap space.

To answer the question of why the Steelers would do this: It's not about finding a long term starter, it's about putting Adams and Gilbert on notice.

Yeah, and that notice says you guys suck so much that we're bringing in another guy who might suck just as bad, we're just not sure.

While the Cards became Pittsburgh West, the Steelers become Zona East.

Talon

Some brutal excerpts from League of Denial are making their way around.
McKee had prepared a PowerPoint presentation, but she also brought along a box of lantern slides with four-by-five-inch slivers of brain the doctors could hold up to the light. She passed those around first, and it quickly became clear that this was not going to be the academic discussion Perl had anticipated. Members of the MTBI committee seized on the absence of visible bruising to question how football-related head trauma could have caused the disease. If there was no contusion, there was no trauma. But no contusions was the point: Almost all the NFL brains had looked normal from the outside. This wasn't a disease caused by a single blow or even a few. The brain was deteriorating from the inside, McKee believed, as a result of repetitive pounding.

McKee turned to the slides. She pointed out the brown splotches representing neurofibrillary tangles of tau protein that had suffocated the cells. The tangles were indisputable signs of disease, and there was little or no beta-amyloid, which meant it wasn't Alzheimer's. And these were relatively young men with one common trait: All had played football for years. Members of the committee again challenged her. Some wanted to know why the tangles weren't closer to the surface of the brain, where the trauma had occurred. To many in the room, Casson seemed especially combative. "Casson interrupted the most," said Colonel Jaffee. "He was ...at times mocking. These were pretty compelling neuropathological findings, so to outright deny there could be a relationship, I didn't think [Casson] was really making an honest assessment of the evidence."

Hank Feuer, the Colts' physician and a charter member of the committee, sat across from McKee. "I honestly don't think we were any different with her than we were with anybody else," he later said. But the guests were increasingly uncomfortable with the line of questioning.

To Mann, the Columbia suicide expert, it was obvious that McKee had found a serious brain disease in these players. After she finished, Mann presented his own research, describing data that showed how people who had had mild head injuries as children or adolescents were at an increased risk for suicidal behavior. Casson tossed up his hand and interrupted. "It would be impossible to link a disease like CTE to suicide," he asserted.

"It's not just possible," Mann replied, "it's entirely plausible based on what I've seen from Ann McKee."

McKee was asked whether CTE wasn't just a "misdiagnosed case of frontotemporal dementia," a disease of the brain's frontal lobe. She replied, "Well, I was on the NIH committee that defined frontotemporal dementia's diagnostic criteria, so, no."

McKee had experienced heated debate before, but this, she thought, was almost personal. "I felt like they weren't really listening," she said, "like they had their heads in the sand." Casson, Pellman and others bombarded McKee and Perl with alternative theories: steroids, nutritional supplements, high blood pressure, diabetes. Finally McKee threw up her hands. "You are delusional," she told them.

The two-hour meeting ended cordially, with McKee and the others receiving thanks from the MTBI committee but no promises of follow-up discussions. McKee was relieved it was over. "We hadn't made a dent in anybody's opinion," she says.

More than four years later, in a building near McKee's office outside Boston, the largest collection of NFL brains (61) is stored in a freezer at -80º Celsius. By the fall of 2012, McKee had examined the brains of 34 former NFL players. Thirty-three had CTE. Asked what percentage of NFL players probably have the disease, McKee said, "I don't think everybody has it, but I think it's going to be a shockingly high percentage."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20131002/league-of-denial-excerpt/#ixzz2gZvhlJbV

And he has played one less game than Houston. If you want to talk stats, here you go:

Houston and Miller have been in the league for three years. Miller has missed 5 games in his career, Houston hasn't missed any.

Miller has 9 fewer tackles, 7 more sacks, 6 more forced fumbles, and 19 more tackles for loss. Houston does get his hands on more balls though (passes defended) and he recovers more fumbles (probably because he isn't always the first one to the ball carrier).

Also it's kind of funny that a Patriots fan is saying that only this season's stats matter for measuring linebackers, when if I asked you who the best QB in the league is, you would say Tom Brady...

Justin Houston is a better player now than Aldon Smith and Von Miller are at the moment. Sure Von and Aldon may have flashed more in the past, but I believe Houston has the most potential of the three and is showing that this season. It also helps that Houston is the only one that isn't a complete idiot. All the talent in the world won't do shit for you if you're suspended from the league.

And Aaron Rogders is the best in the league right now. It is known.

Good job Colbert. Best place to shop for linemen is in Arizona

Steelers are in cap hell. This is a shot across the bow, not a long term solution.

The more important thing to take from this is someone's gonna get cut - I wonder who?

Just kidding, i'm sure it will be Isaac Redman.

jakncoke

Banned
Is this general knowledge ? I never heard of this so its interesting to me

Joe Browne ‏@NFLonTheHill 10m
Author Tom Clancy, who died last night, tried to buy the Minnesota Vikings in 1998 but was never able to close the deal.

effzee

Eagles better bitchsmack the Giants on Sunday or I'll be very disappointed.

I just know the Giants are a much better team than what they have shown. And this week they finally get a bad enough D to show that.

I mean same could be said of the Eagles. Giants D can also be picked apart but I get the feeling Giants win and turn their season around.

:jnc

I love you, old man but Jacobs in his prime wasn't a great short yardage back much less now.

Wasn't he good like his first year before he would get hurt all the time? I thought the injuries really made him hesitant about being a violent runner.

Colasante

Not placing him on PUP for him not to play until the PUP time frame has passed would be brilliant !!! I don't know what's up with him. I'm waiting for Bill to text me the details.

Even if he doesn't play until week seven, it was a good decision not to place him on the PUP. If he was on the PUP, he wouldn't have been able to practice until he came off of it, which would have set his progress back even further. And it's not like the 53rd roster spot is of humungous value, it probably would have gone to another special teams CB or another backup offensive lineman.

Hunter S.

Yeah, they are dumb. Their actions will cause both of them to probably not get early long-term huge contracts. It is a lot of a risk for teams to sign them big deal with so many faults in behavior early in their career. They will pay. J.J. Watt will get his money.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Houston media is getting slammed this week.

average nfl fans are stupid, especially so in Houston. Texans lose and it just seem to bring out the extra stupid. Schaub sucks, the katy highschool qb could do better!

MechDX

average nfl fans are stupid, especially so in Houston. Texans lose and it just seem to bring out the extra stupid. Schaub sucks, the katy highschool qb could do better!

So you're saying we should trade with the Bengals for Dalton? j/k

After I calmed down Monday morning I came to my senses and realized Schaub is still the best and only real option. TJ is Schaub lite and Case is not ready (probably never will be). You insert one of them you have basically said the season is over.

If for some reason Rothlesberger became available I would consider that though but I don't think it would ever really happen.

bionic77

Yeah, and that notice says you guys suck so much that we're bringing in another guy who might suck just as bad, we're just not sure.

While the Cards became Pittsburgh West, the Steelers become Zona East.
I thought 3/5 of the line was good against the Vikings.

It was the left guard and tackle that shit the bed. I mean we couldn't even get a hand on a 100 year old Jared Allen. Maybe the guy is still good but we made him look like the DPOY.

Honestly we have spent 3 years trying to rebuild the offensive line and it has been a complete failure. Coaches and GM should be taking a big hit here.

This fucken team...I swear...

So doesn't Sherman get that Miller is clearly better and deserves a greater majority of the careers while Thomas deserves more time as an observer?

“No, I don’t get that," Sherman said Tuesday. "[Miller] had some opportunities in the game, and he made the most of those opportunities but we’ll continue with the way we’ve been so far until someone really steps forward and makes that known to us."

Honestly? I'm LOLing right now.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...change-in-rb-opportunities.html#storylink=cpy

Usually I"m over a loss by Wednesday but that ass kicking is going to last till Saturday at least....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom