• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

squicken

Hope Sanjuro is okay.

Thanks for the wishes, brother kas. Happy New Year to you and the rest of y'all

Fell asleep listening to Dameshek talking about Peyton and I am off to a bad start for 2014

udNyfWG.gif

LOL This is great.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Happy New Year, Kas. May your faith in Stafford be proven some day soon-ish. We hope. Because we're stuck with him.

Believe, brother, believe.

52c08bb714d17.preview-620.jpg

Stafford has that talent and "it" factor you can't teach. What is "it"? It is what makes all players (and people in business) successful but can't be taught. It has shown itself in the 2011 season, the guy just needs help. All great QBs go through slumps here and there, but Stafford is only 25. The guy has so much time to improve and grow as a player.

Vyroxis

Banned
Stafford has that talent and "it" factor you can't teach. What is "it"? It is what makes all players (and people in business) successful but can't be taught. It has shown itself in the 2011 season, the guy just needs help. All great QBs go through slumps here and there, but Stafford is only 25. The guy has so much time to improve and grow as a player.

The guy has talent, but either suffers from piss poor coaching or a bad case of mid season regression. He plays so well to start out, then mistakes start to creep up on him and nobody wanta to crack the whip.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
QBs definitely going one and two. Manziels mechanics are shit and his anticipation/progression needs a lot of work, but he makes so many plays and throws a good deep ball.
This is why I compare him to Tebow. This is why the Browns will get him.

The guy has talent, but either suffers from piss poor coaching or a bad case of mid season regression. He plays so well to start out, then mistakes start to creep up on him and nobody wanta to crack the whip.

It's because after a couple quarters, the defense has enough pictures of Stafford throwing fast slants that all they have to do is anticipate it and gamble. He stares down receivers and the playcalling is so generic you know what's coming.

Thank god Linehan is gone. Those slant plays were shortening Megatron's career. Stafford better stop getting WRs killed over the middle with those high and behind passes. Calvin Johnson may be a beast, but nobody can take that type of beating all day. He needs a QB who can hit him in stride. If Stafford can't be fixed, I'd support getting rid of him in a couple years and taking a shot on a vet QB who can actually pass.

This is why I compare him to Tebow. This is why the Browns will get him.

Also he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who is going to be in the film room studying, trying to fix his game. Size+mechanics+attitude make him a bad pick IMO. If he had Russell Wilson's work ethic sure, I could see taking a chance on him.

Dude is gonna get paid and go wild.

Vyer

Someone in this neighborhood must have spent hundreds on fireworks. Shit went on for 3 hours.

Anyway, happy new year NFL GAF.

And O'Brien, eh? Should be interesting.

Tamanon

Banned
Happy New Year assholes. I got drunk at a country bar and listened to my cousin from Ecuador talk about how he almost landed some stunner in a turquoise skirt the whole way home.

Was fucking great!

Pretty jacked, new years party got hype, decided to randomly buy tickets to this weekends Packer game. My first time at an NFL game.

I'm into football but never cared enough to see it live, but oddly enough the 49ers were the first team I got into, Packers were always the hometown team. Should be a blast

Excited! Happy new years guys

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ha, you've already admitied to judging him before you've seen him play before. He's nothing like Tebow. Stop.
No, I admitted to having a small sample size. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks his mechanics are all over the place, and that's more than enough to rag on him!

squicken

No, I admitted to having a small sample size. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks his mechanics are all over the place, and that's more than enough to rag on him!

He's not ever going to have perfect mechanics b/c he almost throws the ball from his tip toes. But he has velocity and location that Tebow never did. Tebow is the lazy comparison. He's going top 5 unless there are dead hookers in his off the field dossier.

I kind of wonder if the Texans may now consider him, something I never thought they would. The new coach is fiery and he may see himself in JFF. If the Texans pass then whoever wants him will trade up to him at 2.

He's Tebow in one regard: He is either loved or hated, but everyone watches. Media scrutiny will be very high wherever he goes. It's partly why CLE will be awful. He needs to go somewhere with a docile media

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
He's not ever going to have perfect mechanics b/c he almost throws the ball from his tip toes. But he has velocity and location that Tebow never did. Tebow is the lazy comparison.
I think I'm entitled to a lazy comparison of my own in this thread just like everyone else.

I don't really care how exactly he'll bust, but I'll be waiting for it!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
He's more Vince or Vick than Tebow. Tebow was a big, strong, physical runner.

Manziel is smaller and more nimble.

Plus a much better passer than Tebow. Still I wouldn't spend more than 4th round pick on the guy.

He'll be one of those million college athletic QBs like Eric Crouch (Nebraska) who just can't play QB in the totally different pocket passing NFL.

Plus a much better passer than Tebow. Still I wouldn't spend more than 4th round pick on the guy.

He'll be one of those million college athletic QBs like Eric Crouch (Nebraska) who just can't play QB in the totally different pocket passing NFL.

I don't really think that the old "pocket passer" mentality of the NFL exists as much anymore. Plenty of teams are running offenses that don't require the QB to take snaps from under center and take 7 step drops.

I do think however that a QB still needs good mechanics and an ability to read defenses. But even then, the 49ers got to the Super Bowl last year running what looked like a pretty simple college style offense.

If you get a guy like Manziel and try to turn him into Peyton Manning like people kept trying to do with Vick back in the day, you're probably gonna fail. You can't let him run around all stupid like ala the Redskins either. But if you use him intelligently like San Francisco or Seattle have done with their QBs I think he could work.

I'm also reminded slightly of the concerns that people had about Cam Newton with reading defenses as he played his last year under Gus Malzahn and basically looked to the side line for the play every down. I don't think Johnny has the same level of physical tools as Cam but its not unprecedented now for a guy with more of a run first mentality, who played in a simple offense to transition into a decent NFL QB.

I honestly think JFF has a better chance of NFL success than Tebow, but it depends on situation and coaching.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I don't really think that the old "pocket passer" mentality of the NFL exists as much anymore. Plenty of teams are running offenses that don't require the QB to take snaps from under center and take 7 step drops.

I do think however that a QB still needs good mechanics and an ability to read defenses. But even then, the 49ers got to the Super Bowl last year running what looked like a pretty simple college style offense.

If you get a guy like Manziel and try to turn him into Peyton Manning like people kept trying to do with Vick back in the day, you're probably gonna fail. You can't let him run around all stupid like ala the Redskins either. But if you use him intelligently like San Francisco or Seattle have done with their QBs I think he could work.

I agree with you in the sense that dropback passer is fadding, but only because offenses are running out of shotgun since Tom Bradys 2007 season.

You don't have QBs taking snaps directly from the center then going through 3-5-7 step drops. Instead the ball is snapped directly to the QB so he doesn't have to worry about those 5 step drops and can directly go into his reads.

The read option was great for one year because it caught the NFL by surprise. But honestly as a high school player it is so easy to read if you have defenders doing their assignments. Defensive end goes to the the quarterback and the QB decides to either pitch the ball or keep it. What confused defenses was that QBs would sometimes pass the ball and as you see this year they have adjusted.

Mobility is such a huge asset and its what makes guys like Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers etc. so great. But at the end of the day you need to go through your reads and react quickly enough to pull the trigger on a pass.

The old pocket passer drop back days of Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Brett Favre are gone, Like I said the ball is directly snapped into a QBs hands and then he goes through his progressions. But these college QBs who think they can just scramble and eventually have success are doomed for failure. See Terrell Pryor, Geno Smith, Tim Tebow etc. etc.

The read option is definitely not dead in the NFL, go watch Andy Dalton school the Ravens with it for a TD last weekend.

Sure, this isn't college where you can run a physically advanced QB 15+ times against under conditioned, under developed defenders but the fundamental play is here to stay, and even if teams run their QBs off it less it can still be effective.

Geno Smith wasn't a run first QB in college. He played in a spread passing attack that relied heavily on getting the ball to receivers in space and letting them do all the work.

Tebow, as I've covered a bunch of times, was a power runner who excelled because he is built like a tight end/fullback and could just run kids over, even in the mighty SEC (back when they still played defense down there).

T-Peezy I'll give you.

I think a lot of Sports Radio talking heads and message board posters fall into the same sort of traps when evaluating college QBs and just lump guys together in neat buckets that don't actually work.

I'm not saying JFF is gonna do be amazing, I'm just saying people need to stop evaluating him in such a lazy manner. Yeah, he's a white QB who makes plays with his legs, has bad mechanics and plays in the SEC. That doesn't mean his game is the equivalent of Tebow's.

Crouch was a legitimately great athlete and probably a top 10 college running QB of the past 20 years. He was a moron to be so stubbornly set on playing qb in the NFL and was totally over his head, but it doesn't mean he wasn't talented. Not a lot of guys can throw an offense on their back, run the ball as much as he did and carry a top 10 team the way he did. That 2001 Nebraska team was average as shit and he got them to 11-2.

I get what you're referring to, but I do think Manziel has that IT factor. He'll have a shot. I can also see him getting torn in two by NaVorro Bowman or Suh.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
why? As a lions fan you saw first hand what he did.

Make it to a Super Bowl with a horrible GM? Continue to win while going through QB after QB? I'm not following.

And Happy New Year to you, too, Kastrioti!

Bread

Banned
happy new year friends, i hope 2014 is cool for you and stuff. i drank a lot of yuengling and sailor jerrys last night. but i feel surprisingly ok despite lying on my friends couch awake since 6.

how about that johnny football? he looks like a guy josh mcdaniels could be best friends with.

gutshot

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10222617/thousands-unsold-seats-lambeau-field

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Perhaps Green Bay Packers fans have little faith in this year's team.

How else to explain why as of Tuesday evening there were 11,000 tickets still remaining, according to a team spokesperson, for Sunday's NFC playoff game at Lambeau Field against the San Francisco 49ers?

The Packers have a streak of 319 consecutive sellouts (301 regular-season games and 18 playoff games) and nearly 100,000 people on their season-ticket waiting list.

Green Bay isn't the only team having trouble selling out for this weekend's games, with the Indianapolis Colts and Cincinnati Bengals also faced with thousands of unsold tickets.

The Colts, who have sold out 137 of their last 138 games, have 5,700 tickets remaining that they need to sell to avoid having their Saturday game against the Kansas City Chiefs blacked out in the Indianapolis area.

What the hell, Packers GAF?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Top Bottom