• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

LukeSmith

The NFC is surely on a crash course to have San Francisco come beat Seattle in their own house, isn't it?

Just like the AFC will come down to Denver New England, Manning/Brady one more time, right?

This seems like what the NFL would want

Drakeon

Green Bay always seems very injured in the playoffs, moreso that most teams. It also could just come down to GB losing to a SF team that is getting by on the cheap at QB. Justin Smith + Kap + Vernon Davis > Rodgers

Also, it was shocking how many games turned on guys getting concussions this weekend. Way more than average. Goodell can't be happy

Is this just bad luck? Or does it come down to something else?

Still shocked that Capers didn't get fired after last year. Not sure what Green Bay needs to do to get its Mojo back on track, aside from aim for a Wild Card (which seems to work for them).

GB fans still want Capers gone right?

I'm conflicted. Ted is guilty to a large extent too for the personnel and approach to building the team. Capers' defense requires people knowing their assignments and there's a high level of communication required. Because Ted believes in the draft and youth there's so much turnover every year (not to mention the injuries) and rookies are thrown into the fire without understanding the nuances. Then Capers looks bad because of missed assignments in the secondary and miscommunication . He needs vets that are assignment sure. LeBeau, as a comparison, has the benefit of having people in the same/similar system for years upon years. At this point their D is too old, but at least everyone knows how to play the defense. .

I guess this game reduced my insistence on him being fired just a bit. He really coached them up well and they played way above their level especially after even more injuries during the game. If only he could get this type of performance out of them every week though.

I probably would be okay either way.

eznark

Banned
Rust is the best. Everyone play Rust. I just shot a naked Bob in the chest with an arrow and then Mastershake came and kicked his corpse.

It's basically a reenactment of week 17.

MRSA

Banned
crown royal is ok

i don't understand whiskey, should i keep drinking it until i get it?

We could've been friends, no you'll always be scum to me. Could've even gone out for tacos, now you drink tequila.

Go lay face first in a pool full of bronies' feces.

squicken

Is this just bad luck? Or does it come down to something else?

I remember before the draft the beat writer for GB was saying it was a huge priority for them to figure out why it was and correct it. I don't follow the Pack closely so one of the fans will have to provide better context on if it improved

Also, your boy Kap moving up!

bdroqdxceaa6f0jdjub0.jpg

Think Green Bay could see a defensive house cleaning this season? Team has a lot of contracts coming up in the next two years and I can't imagine keeping a lot of that talent. Raji for example sticks out to me as a guy who walks in FA.

jbug617

Banned
Interesting thing came out our local sports show tonight about ifMcDaniels is going to leave for the Browns job. The same assistants he would like and hire are probably already going with O'Brien to the Texans job.

edit: Probably the Fox lineup for next weekend

@506sports: Looks like next week's Fox announcers are set: Buck and Aikman in Carolina and Burkhardt and Lynch in Seattle.

Konka

Banned
The NFC is surely on a crash course to have San Francisco come beat Seattle in their own house, isn't it?

Just like the AFC will come down to Denver New England, Manning/Brady one more time, right?

This seems like what the NFL would want

Denver is losing next week.

squicken

There are not worse fans in football than Colts fans. They get Andrew Luck and can't sell out a playoff game? I always wonder if they are more Peyton fans than Colts fans. Luck needs to do what Peyton never could, beat Brady, then destroy Peyton's last chance at another title

There are not worse fans in football than Colts fans. They get Andrew Luck and can't sell out a playoff game? I always wonder if they are more Peyton fans than Colts fans. Luck needs to do what Peyton never could, beat Brady, then destroy Peyton's last chance at another title

Manning's Kryptonite is walking into Mile High next week, there's no guarantee Luck even meets him.

i do find it funny to see people say "when will they get erron rodgers help on defense!" but a big part of the reason they CAN'T is because of how much of the cap he is eating up. it's something that will come due for the niners, seahawks, panthers and other teams as well. you just can't afford all these guys AND pay a qb $15-20 mil a year.

in the niners case we will probably be stripped pretty badly. kap, crabtree, aldon, iupati contracts all coming due. we could MAYBE keep 2 of them. and that's to speak nothing of bruce miller, boldin, whitner and culliver (who we will need because rogers and brown will be gone for sure)

Drakeon

i do find it funny to see people say "when will they get erron rodgers help on defense!" but a big part of the reason they CAN'T is because of how much of the cap he is eating up. it's something that will come due for the niners, seahawks, panthers and other teams as well. you just can't afford all these guys AND pay a qb $15-20 mil a year.

in the niners case we will probably be stripped pretty badly. kap, crabtree, aldon, iupati contracts all coming due. we could MAYBE keep 2 of them. and that's to speak nothing of bruce miller, boldin, whitner and culliver (who we will need because rogers and brown will be gone for sure)

Aldon really hurt his stock this year, he'll still want a big pay-day, but not the huge one he was going to get after a nearly record-breaking season last year. Feel like Kap and Crabtree are the two most important pieces there, but I could be crazy. I also want to sign Boldin too :(

Hope Baalke's able to work some magic like the Boldin trade in these next few years, we're definitely going to lose some big play makers.

DMczaf

Let's see who I will playoff bandwagon next weekend!

*looks at NFC Final Four*

....am I allowed to hope for an asteroid to hit both games?

JCizzle

Gotta let Crabs and Aldon go outta that bunch. Baalke needs to do his damn job and find players in the draft. Dreading paying CK though, still not 100% sold.

Tom Penny

I can't lie. I certainly thought the Bengals were the more talented team and actually a worse match up for that Pats but at the same time their Ginger QB put no fear in me like Luck does. It will be funny when the Bungles end up franchising him...

MRSA

Banned
I don't drink Knob Creek often but along the same line of Jim Beam products I absolutely adore Basil Hayden even though its more rye than bourbon.

basil20hayden.jpg

Buffalo Trace is my go to bourbon.

What do the Bengals do about Dalton? I mean, they should give up un him, but who was the last team to just drop their QB wholesale, particularly after a playoff berth?

I would be livid if I were Jay Gruden - Dalton is submarining any chance he may have of getting in somewhere as a HC.

Drakeon

What do the Bengals do about Dalton? I mean, they should give up un him, but who was the last team to just drop their QB wholesale, particularly after a playoff berth?

I would be livid if I were Jay Gruden - Dalton is submarining any chance he may have of getting in somewhere as a HC.

Honestly? Not even the same situation, but the only one I can think of is Trent Dilfer (they won with him, but they did get rid of him after they won).

Edit: Jay Gruden definitely deserves a shot somewhere, I think he's made Dalton look way better than he actually is. Could be wrong though.

simples

Banned
I don't drink Knob Creek often but along the same line of Jim Beam products I absolutely adore Basil Hayden even though its more rye than bourbon.

basil20hayden.jpg

Buffalo Trace is my go to bourbon.
did you buy a cartoon of those of the homeless guy near raiders stadium friend. 11.99$ for the whole box?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Alex Smith got dumped a year after helping his team get to the NFC Championship, got injured and replaced midseason and then shipped out of town. Even though they were winning plenty and he was playing well.

Of course there is no Kaep on the Bengals roster. Still I think the Bengals could easily get a 1st for Dalton if they really wanted to trade him but again they really don't have an alternative.

squicken

A

Hope Baalke's able to work some magic like the Boldin trade in these next few years, we're definitely going to lose some big play makers.

Baalke was really smart on the Bowman and Willis deals. JSmith willingly took less than market value. Those three guys have a lower combined cap hit than James Lauranitis

As far as QBs, the fastest way for a coach and GM to get fired is to not have a QB. What does GB do? Trade Rodgers? Cut him? Then they are picking late in round 1 and rolling the dice with Gabbert/Dalton tier QBs

But most definitely, SEA and SF have their windows closing a bit as their cheap labor needs to get paid

Alex Smith got dumped a year after helping his team get to the NFC Championship, got injured and replaced midseason and then shipped out of town. Even though they were winning plenty and he was playing well.

Of course there is no Kaep on the Bengals roster. Still I think the Bengals could easily get a 1st for Dalton if they really wanted to trade him but again they really don't have an alternative.

Smith was with the Niners for 7 years. Don't think the Bengals can deal with 4 more years of getting swept out of the first round. Then again, Bungles gonna bungle.

Greg

I didn't get a chance to post for real because I was tied up with friends consoling me with booze, but good game, 9ers-GAF

that Kap run at the end broke my heart

Drakeon

Baalke was really smart on the Bowman and Willis deals. JSmith willingly took less than market value. Those three guys have a lower combined cap hit than James Lauranitis

As far as QBs, the fastest way for a coach and GM to get fired is to not have a QB. What does GB do? Trade Rodgers? Cut him? Then they are picking late in round 1 and rolling the dice with Gabbert/Dalton tier QBs

But most definitely, SEA and SF have their windows closing a bit as their cheap labor needs to get paid

Something's got to change with the Cap situations and QB's eating up so much of the cap. Not sure what, but I don't think it's sustainable long term. Especially not when guys like Flacco or Matt Ryan are getting (nearly) as much as Rodgers or Brady.

GG Greg, was an exciting and exhilarating game to the end. Rodgers is so damn good and Lacey is also a monster. Got a lot to look forward to if you can get some play makers on defense.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Smith was with the Niners for 7 years.

Yeah and they got a 2nd rounder for him. Dalton is much younger and has had way more success in the regular season. There would be a huge market for him if he was available but who do they replace him with?

I agree they need to make changes but it seems like the logical change is getting rid of Marvin Lewis and not Dalton.

Something's got to change with the Cap situations and QB's eating up so much of the cap. Not sure what, but I don't think it's sustainable long term. Especially not when guys like Flacco or Matt Ryan are getting (nearly) as much as Rodgers or Brady.

It'll work itself out. Contracts like the one Brady took will be the norm instead of the exception.

When was the last time a qb got the postseason 3 years in a row as a starter in his first 3 years and got cut/traded? They are at least a year away from even considering a qb change I would think.

squicken

Disagree STRONGLY. Not sure they could get back the 2nd he cost them. I said earlier they need to move on. Whatever it takes, they need to target and move up to get the QB they want, and dump Dalton. It's just gambling if they hope to find some 3rd rounder who can compete with him for the job

brentech

yeah. highly doubt they get a 1st for him a late second maybe. Most guys seem to plateau after a few years. He might have a little growing left, but he's not in a complete jacked system like Alex Smith was at the start of his career.

He probably isn't getting much better.

Drakeon

yeah. highly doubt they get a 1st for him a late second maybe. Most guys seem to plateau after a few years. He might have a little growing left, but he's not in a complete jacked system like Alex Smith was at the start of his career.

He probably isn't getting much better.

It's amazing Alex looks as good as he does after going through a gazillion coordinators in his first 6 years.

Top Bottom