• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, the Bengals should dump the first QB to make them relevant in about a decade. There is literally nothing stupid about that idea.

Good god, are the Bengals run by a democracy? Cause that would explain an awful lot.

It's been, what, three whole years since the Pack won it all? I'm starting to feel those title drought pains that loser franchises like the Lions, Pats and Jets go through.

Hopefully Hyde doesn't beat himself up too badly over that missed INT. That play is pretty low on the totem pole of reasons why they lost. Niners D-line pushing Rodgers' shit in all game long and McCarthy's piss-poor goal line play calling rank pretty high.

Let's play a game.

T/F: Micah Hyde plays S next year.

T/F: Dom Capers keeps his job.

T/F: Germans are the master race.

T/F: Packers should revert to a 4-3.

cdyhybrid

I am going to :FMT whoever the new fucking CEO of Microsoft is. They shit out billions of dollars daily and can't get 24/7 Customer Support? Fuck you.

Fjordson

i also forgot to mention lemichael james and how important he has been to our team recently. it'll probably just get brushed aside for all the kap and rodgers and defense talk but he had a gigantic game returning for us today, just like he did against the cardinals last week. he had some solid kick returns and was solid in handling punt returns in what had to be very difficult fielding conditions. i wish we could get him on the field on offense for a handful of plays because he is dangerous but it is a numbers game.

everytime i say "why isn't LMJ on the field for 3rd down!? get gore out of there!" and then gore picks up a monster block on a blitz like he did on the crucial 3rd and 8 kap scramble and i am glad that i'm not coaching
LMJ has been a godsend for special teams. Feel much better with him back there than when we had Williams with his bad decisions and shaky hands.

Spinluck

Yea, you can't give up on him yet.

He still has time to get better.

It's a shame to see all that good defense go to waste though.

LJ11

Peyton Manning lost his 3rd career playoff game 0-41 to the Chad Pennington Jets.

Jury's out on Dalton, but he better be turning in MVP level stats next year

I don't think the jury is out. They need to pay Michael Johnson, they need to pay AJ, but do they need to pay Dalton?

They should be looking at QBs in this draft, Dalton is a FA and he's not a guy you can count on long term, too many question marks to ink him long term. Have to go looking this year. If he improves, good franchise him and see if he sustains it, if not move on. They have Gresham, Eifert, Jones, AJ, Gio, and Hawkins, lots of playmakers and solid OL even though they got whipped today (other team gets paid too). Dalton has no excuses, lots of weapons, solid D even though they sustained important injuries, couldn't be in a better situation. He's the one holding them back.

Have to move fast these days, you can't wait on a guy to figure it out, if he ever does. It's not just the playoffs, he's shaky in the regular season too. Not consistent, they have a couple of more shots at it, can't sit around and wait.

KaYotiX

Banned
It's been, what, three whole years since the Pack won it all? I'm starting to feel those title drought pains that loser franchises like the Lions, Pats and Jets go through.

Hopefully Hyde doesn't beat himself up too badly over that missed INT. That play is pretty low on the totem pole of reasons why they lost. Niners D-line pushing Rodgers' shit in all game long and McCarthy's piss-poor goal line play calling rank pretty high.

Agree, also the lost contain on that 3rd down at the end was brutal...... Oh well. I blame this year on the fact half our team died throughout the year and we still snuck into the playoffs. Healthy Lacy and hopefully a better Oline and the Packers will be scary.

Oh and hopefully some sort of defense....

Offense will be sexy next year.

My guess it will be:
Khal-Lang-Tretter-Sitton-Bulaga
Lacy-Harris
Rodgers

If Capers sticks around will be the big question and who will replace him. I think they target Dix or Mosley in the draft but both could be off the board. Judging by Ted's draft history, they should trade out of the first and double up in the second.

Nori Chan

anybody got some good ideas for online bets? A buddy of mine over twitter wants to do a bet but I can't think of anything. We've done avi bets, essay bets where one person has to right an essay about why the other team is better, giving out exs nudes, but can do anything else cause i can't think of anything else

Nameless

Dalton is a young QB who's overachieved in his first three years. Cut him some slack. Bengals still have a chance if AJ doesn't drop that [beautiful] bomb.

The 'Golden Age' of young QBs have caused people in and out of the NFL to develop some fucked up expectations. Today Brees would be where Christian Ponder is right now after the third season he had; getting shat on by fans and stamped with the backup label by teams. Ditto with Alex. What happened to letting these guys, you know, develop, and learn the toughest job in sports?

Dalton is a young QB who's overachieved in his first three years. Cut him some slack. Bengals still have a chance if AJ doesn't drop that [beautiful] bomb.

The 'Golden Age' of young QBs have caused people in and out of the NFL to develop some fucked up expectations. Today Brees would be where Christian Ponder is right now after the third season he had; getting shat on by fans and stamped with the backup label by teams. Ditto with Alex. What happened to letting these guys, you know, develop, and learn the toughest job in sports?

There's a lot of truth in this. Everyone expects every QB to be Peyton or Brady or they suck. Somebody has got to fill that 2nd tier of QBs. They always have. Granted, in this era, having that elite QB means you are a contender, but as Eli and Flacco have shown, you can win with a lower level QB on a hot streak.

Nameless

There's a lot of truth in this. Everyone expects every QB to be Peyton or Brady or they suck. Somebody has got to fill that 2nd tier of QBs. They always have. Granted, in this era, having that elite QB means you are a contender, but as Eli and Flacco have shown, you can win with a lower level QB on a hot streak.

And even Peyton averaged 20ints a season his first 5 years. I wonder what would be being said about him.

squicken

Dalton isn't Tannehill or RG3, where you can point to their failures and provide rational reasons for them. OL, receivers, coaching, bad defense and or no run game. Dalton has everything you would want a young QB to play with and he has plateaued. It's not that he's bad; it's that he stopped getting better, and the level he is at is not good enough

My questions after WC Weekend 2014:

Is Nick Foles the Week 1 starter for Philly in September?
Is Dalton for the Bengals?

LJ11

Today? Drew Brees was where Christian Ponder is, riding the bench because he stunk up the joint. They drafted a QB to replace him, yet he improved leaps and bounds that year, and he was tagged the next year. They were going to move on from him in all likely hood, freak injury in a meaningless game only hastened that decision. Chargers were proactive about it, that's what teams should be proactive. They weren't sure about their QB so they tried to get another one, ended up with two good ones, is that actually a bad thing?

Brees/Rodgers were evaluated internally and the front office acted accordingly, in both cases the teams that drafted them were proactive about getting another QB early in the draft. Both teams are better for doing what they did, better to be on the attack then sit back and wait for the guy to figure it out.

Nameless

Today? Drew Brees was where Christian Ponder is, riding the bench because he stunk up the joint. They drafted a QB to replace him, yet he improved leaps and bounds that year, and he was tagged the next year. They were going to move on from him in all likely hood, freak injury in a meaningless game only hastened that decision. Chargers were proactive about it, that's what teams should be proactive. They weren't sure about their QB so they tried to get another one, ended up with two good ones, is that actually a bad thing?

Brees/Rodgers were evaluated internally and the front office acted accordingly, in both cases the teams that drafted them were proactive about getting another QB early in the draft. Both teams are better for doing what they did, better to be on the attack then sit back and wait for the guy to figure it out.

When the Vikes draft their new QB, Ponder isn't getting another chance, though. And you could argue it was a bad thing since that pick could have been used to add fill another void with a major talent. Considering how close the Chargers kept getting that could have been the difference.

JABEE

Dalton isn't Tannehill or RG3, where you can point to their failures and provide rational reasons for them. OL, receivers, coaching, bad defense and or no run game. Dalton has everything you would want a young QB to play with and he has plateaued. It's not that he's bad; it's that he stopped getting better, and the level he is at is not good enough

Nick Foles is 100% the starter for the Eagles. He had a great season.

Rivers, Dalton, Tannehil, Stafford, Cutler's, Ryan. Even Flacco and Eli and Big Ben. We all know who has had to overcome the most. The one who is going to emerge from his trial by fire as the next truly elite QB, and lead his franchise to a ten year dynasty:

726-Sam-Bradford1.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Foles just needs to work on his decision making. Is there a drill for that? Do you just watch a ton of tape? Is it innate?

Today when they were talking about the production truck, and Joe jokes "Don't you feel sorry for those guys down there?" and Aikman says totally deadpan "I feel sorry for you, Joe" and those 4 or 5 solid seconds of pure silence that followed.

Best part of the game.

J-Rzez

Great. Now the Niners are going to probably end up in the Super Bowl so they can further soil the glory that was the unbeaten legacy in the big game. Unless Kaep somehow un-thugs himself in the next few weeks and plays with some rational thoughts on receiver selection, aka, not just throw games away literally.

He's got a gun, and certainly has some legs, but he needs to control emotions and learn to read the field better. He'll never be a Montana, let alone Young, but at least he's superior to that joke that was Alex Smith.

Today when they were talking about the production truck, and Joe jokes "Don't you feel sorry for those guys down there?" and Aikman says totally deadpan "I feel sorry for you, Joe" and those 4 or 5 solid seconds of pure silence that followed.

Best part of the game.

Well, that and Aikman talking about "all them body blows" the Niners D was taking and that later in the game and in the cold they'll pay for them, while the Packers were dropping like flies.

But we're talking about the guy that took a shot to noggin' and went to the sidelines asking if anyone saw his toothbrush, he didn't know where he left it.

In the six years that Godgers has been the starter for the Packers, he made the playoffs 5 out of 6 times. He currently has a playoff record of 5-4, with 4 of those wins coming in the year the Packers won the Super Bowl. In 3 of those 5 seasons the Packers were one and done.

Trey

In the six years that Godgers has been the starter for the Packers, he made the playoffs 5 out of 6 times. He currently has a playoff record of 5-4, with 4 of those wins coming in the year the Packers won the Super Bowl. In 3 of those 5 seasons the Packers were one and done.

What's with the fixation on one and dones? Does it matter when you ultimately lose if you don't win the SB?

GB has a SB in the last six years and the Patriots have zero.

KaYotiX

Banned

This year really was a fluke they got in at all, and with all the injuries there was no way this team could go deep into the playoffs. They were literally on 4th string players at the end of yesterday's game. Last year against the 9ers was by far a bigger Dissapointment.

I'd love to see a healthy Packers team next year and see what they could do.

JABEE

As a sign of respect and goodwill to Gata, I vow to no longer refer to Gata as a Jags fan. You are a Patriots fan. That is my gift to you before this divisional playoff weekend.

What's with the fixation on one and dones? Does it matter when you ultimately lose if you don't win the SB?

GB has a SB in the last six years and the Patriots have zero.

Why so hostile? I was just looking at his stats and this is what I found. People always love to talk about Peyton his one and dones, so it was worth a mention to show how Rodgers has done until now.

Trey

Why so hostile? I was just looking at his stats and this is what I found. People always love to talk about Peyton his one and dones, so it was worth a mention to show how Rodgers has done until now.

Not hostile, it was to show the futility of such stats. You don't really glean any info from them, and they work even less as a dick measuring tool for fans.

A few plays swing another way this weekend and we have completely different divisional matchups. Such is the NFL.

squicken

Nick Foles is 100% the starter for the Eagles. He had a great season.

I don't think Foles is a good as his numbers, but he did hav a good year. I'm just curious if it is a system thing or if Chip truly wants Foles as his QB. Right now, everyone lies. Not to compare him to Dalton, but I'm not taking Marv's word that Dalton is 100% his guy next year

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

As if Rodgers was the reason they lost that game yesterday.

Clockwork5

Oh man, I still feel sick. That had to be the most painful loss I have ever watched. As a chiefs fan, that is a pretty high bar. This is going to be a long off-season.

Still super proud of those guys, helluva turnaround this year. I am officially an Andy/Alex fan and Jamaal is still my hero.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I really wondering if the Texans should get Clowney now. Would he be a better choice over Bridgewater/JFF/Whoever considering we would have to keep Andrew Luck in check for many many years most likely?

You people dont know what a real qb is. Clearly. You've ran through 19. Dalton as terrible as he can be would instantly jump to #1 qb since the Browns re-entry to the league.

While he's better than anything we've got, he's obviously holding that team back.

Browns better hope to get some stability with the coaching staff, fix right side of the line, and sit the QB they draft behind Hoyer from a while, providing he can stay healthy.

Foles sucked in the first half, but was lights out in the second half. I have no problems with him coming out a bit nervous since he only has started 16 games so far. Next year is his 3rd year and that is the no excuses year. He needs to clean things up big time. Chip always says that the most important thing for a QB to do is not turn the ball over, and I think Nick really takes that to heart and will hold the ball if he isnt sure about a throw, but he needs to learn to throw the ball away. 2nd and 10 beats 2nd and 17 any day. Foles is the starter for sure next year, but if he falters then they will get a new guy the following year.

Top Bottom