• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

mark_sanchez_wireimage-300x300.jpg

That was 4 years (the last 2 without a playoff berth), and he was even going to start a 5th.

brentech

It's amazing Alex looks as good as he does after going through a gazillion coordinators in his first 6 years.

seriously. i don't think anyone but the player himself could have imagined it, and he probably had doubts.

But Dalton has had a decent/good line, good D, same coordinator. Not many excuses. Every once and a while, a change does help someone, but it's more rare.

Just imagine Alex if he would have had a stable OC with as much talent as game winning strategist Greg Roman from the beginning of his career?

Greg

Something's got to change with the Cap situations and QB's eating up so much of the cap. Not sure what, but I don't think it's sustainable long term. Especially not when guys like Flacco or Matt Ryan are getting (nearly) as much as Rodgers or Brady.

GG Greg, was an exciting and exhilarating game to the end. Rodgers is so damn good and Lacey is also a monster. Got a lot to look forward to if you can get some play makers on defense.
yeah, I'm glad both sides kept it entertaining - it could've been ugly with the way the Packers' offense opened up

I hate those last-second FG wins, but I guess you can't hate on a 5-minute drive that sets it up

Drakeon

seriously. i don't think anyone but the player himself could have imagined it, and he probably had doubts.

But Dalton has had a decent/good line, good D, same coordinator. Not many excuses. Every once and a while, a change does help someone, but it's more rare.

Plus, not sure how you can justify firing Jay Gruden. Those interceptions and fumbles aren't on him. Dalton just folds every single playoff game. It's not even like the Chargers pass defense was even remotely decent, and somehow he still manages to give them the ball again and again. It's pretty inexcusable how bad he folded today.

njean777

how many picks did he throw in the championship game

Do not remember, says he threw 15 the whole year. I don't even remember if he threw one that game, I wasn't into high school sports really, as it was shoved down my throat every single day and the football players got special treatment so I really didn't care for my high school at all.

Godslay

Banned
Plus, not sure how you can justify firing Jay Gruden. Those interceptions and fumbles aren't on him. Dalton just folds every single playoff game. It's not even like the Chargers pass defense was even remotely decent, and somehow he still manages to give them the ball again and again. It's pretty inexcusable how bad he folded today.

Plenty of pass rush though. Dalton was under pressure fairly often.

Drakeon

Plenty of pass rush though. Dalton was under pressure fairly often.

Which is odd, because Chargers don't have an all-star pass rush and I generally think the Bengals Oline is pretty good. Pagano certainly had his defense firing on all cylinders today, that's for sure.

squicken

Keep Dalton. He can be good if he cuts down on his mistakes. Has been good.

Think there is enough sample size now. He's got one of the best supporting casts in football and he loses games for them in the playoffs. Definition of insanity to bring him back

Doomsayer

GG Pack-GAF, was a tough fought game.

Niners-GAF, we did it! I really thought we were going to lose this game after our first two drives ended in field goals. I was thinking we needed to score at least a touchdown to give ourselves some distance.

Kaep made play after play with his arm and his legs. We got really luck that Hyde dropped that pick because that would have been backbreaking. Crabtree played like a man possessed with several tough and key catches - 2nd 100 yard game in three weeks. Really coming into his own at the right time.

Onto Carolina, should be a great one!

Trey

Think there is enough sample size now. He's got one of the best supporting casts in football and he loses games for them in the playoffs. Definition of insanity to bring him back

And he's still maturing as a QB. He played poorly today but the other teams get paid too. He's a stable force at the most important position and can still improve/limit his mistakes.

People are so quick to want to broom a QB that is imperfect forget how hard it is to even get that. They'll certifiably be worse with whoever they draft to replace him. For one year guaranteed, probably two or three.

Drakeon

GG Pack-GAF, was a tough fought game.

Niners-GAF, we did it! I really thought we were going to lose this game after our first two drives ended in field goals. I was thinking we needed to score at least a touchdown to give ourselves some distance.

Kaep made play after play with his arm and his legs. We got really luck that Hyde dropped that pick because that would have been backbreaking. Crabtree played like a man possessed with several tough and key catches - 2nd 100 yard game in three weeks. Really coming into his own at the right time.

Onto Carolina, should be a great one!

Honestly thought we were done when we took 2 fucking timeouts in the first few minutes of the third quarter. I want to fucking slap Roman (although if what I saw in here was true, the first one was on Kap for... forgetting his wristband with all the playcalls on it).

Also, I don't even want to see timeouts wasted like that. I'd MUCH rather us go 3 and out and take a 5 yard penalty than waste 2 timeouts like we did today. It's infuriating.

What do the Bengals do about Dalton? I mean, they should give up un him, but who was the last team to just drop their QB wholesale, particularly after a playoff berth?

I would be livid if I were Jay Gruden - Dalton is submarining any chance he may have of getting in somewhere as a HC.

They're in a tough situation. I still think Dalton can be salvaged for some dumb reason. That said, they blew another halftime lead. They're one-and-done again. The next time they have a shot at a playoff win will be, at the earliest, next season, 24 seasons after their last playoff win (the longest currently in the league, yes, ahead of the Browns, Chiefs, and Lions). And it was in a game where absolutely everything was at fault: bad defense, bad o-line, bad passing, bad catching and drops.

At this point, with all of that having happened, it's hard to justify not firing somebody. The problem is, who? Gruden? Dalton? Lewis? Somebody else? Somebody absolutely deserves to go after this abysmal streak of being just good enough to make it to the playoffs, but bad enough to make no progress beyond that. But I can't decide who deserves to go.

As a Ravens fan, it wasn't even fun watching that game, because nobody in this shitty division would have won that game in their place. But it's sad seeing a team utterly self-destruct like that and the Chiefs did. And I don't know who deserves the blame.

Godslay

Banned
Which is odd, because Chargers don't have an all-star pass rush and I generally think the Bengals Oline is pretty good. Pagano certainly had his defense firing on all cylinders today, that's for sure.

They get consistent pressure, or they have as of late. Not all-stars, but they gave the Broncos fits last game. Although Dalton did hang on to the ball for far too long. The curious thing about their defense to me is the secondary, how they can play so bad and then turn around and do a good job. Such an odd team in terms of who shows up on a weekly basis.

Honestly thought we were done when we took 2 fucking timeouts in the first few minutes of the third quarter. I want to fucking slap Roman (although if what I saw in here was true, the first one was on Kap for... forgetting his wristband with all the playcalls on it).

Also, I don't even want to see timeouts wasted like that. I'd MUCH rather us go 3 and out and take a 5 yard penalty than waste 2 timeouts like we did today. It's infuriating.

we have to get to a point where harbs says take the fucking 5 yard penalty or do not kill or audible a play if you get up to the line and there are 8 seconds left. sometimes you just need to take that no-gain and keep the timeouts. it didn't hurt us today but we can't keep doing this

FMT be trolling, I'd be more concerned about paying Matthews so much green when he's always injured.

The Steelers 3-4 worked because that had big athletic dudes and Troy beasting on the back-end. Their DLs were always pretty solid too.

We have no Safety, a smart but slow ILB, a consistently injured OLB, and 1 good DL. Faaaaak.

Drakeon

we have to get to a point where harbs says take the fucking 5 yard penalty or do not kill or audible a play if you get up to the line and there are 8 seconds left. sometimes you just need to take that no-gain and keep the timeouts. it didn't hurt us today but we can't keep doing this

Exactly my feelings. We didn't get burned today, but we should've. We do that shit against the Seahawks? We're done. Against the Panthers? You bet we're done. Just take the 5 yards. Harbaugh has to either get on Roman or Kap, or both. He has to see that could've very easily cost us the game.

i also forgot to mention lemichael james and how important he has been to our team recently. it'll probably just get brushed aside for all the kap and rodgers and defense talk but he had a gigantic game returning for us today, just like he did against the cardinals last week. he had some solid kick returns and was solid in handling punt returns in what had to be very difficult fielding conditions. i wish we could get him on the field on offense for a handful of plays because he is dangerous but it is a numbers game.

everytime i say "why isn't LMJ on the field for 3rd down!? get gore out of there!" and then gore picks up a monster block on a blitz like he did on the crucial 3rd and 8 kap scramble and i am glad that i'm not coaching

Peyton Manning lost his 3rd career playoff game 0-41 to the Chad Pennington Jets.

Jury's out on Dalton, but he better be turning in MVP level stats next year

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Peyton Manning lost his 3rd career playoff game 0-41 to the Chad Pennington Jets.

Exactly.

If Dalton played as well as he did in his first 3 seasons and never made the playoffs people wouldn't even be having this conversation about replacing him.

The idea hes not worth a 1st round pick is crazy. A washed up, literally retired Carson Palmer got a 1st rounder back. Alex Smith was moved for a 2nd rounder. Cutler got moved for 2 1st rounders, fucking Charlie Whitehurst got traded for a 3rd round pick.

There are at least a dozen teams right now that would replace their QB with Andy Dalton.

Drakeon

Fair point, but (and I honestly don't remember) wasn't the Colts defense pretty shitty back then? I mean, Dalton has one of the best receivers in the league, a great running game and more than capable Tight Ends and other Receivers as well as having a very good defense.

Hard to bring everyone back without really pissing off the fanbase. They're out for blood and who can blame them after losing 3 playoff games in a row? They weren't even competitive today and they were at home and heavily favored. Not to mention that they have played great at home ALL YEAR until today.

Nameless

Exactly.

If Dalton played as well as he did in his first 3 seasons and never made the playoffs people wouldn't even be having this conversation about replacing him.

The idea hes not worth a 1st round pick is crazy. A washed up, literally retired Carson Palmer got a 1st rounder back. Alex Smith was moved for a 2nd rounder. Cutler got moved for 2 1st rounders, fucking Charlie Whitehurst got traded for a 3rd round pick.

There are at least a dozen teams right now that would replace their QB with Andy Dalton.

Haha, the Browns would give up that 1st rounder they got for Ole Two Yard Richardson in a heartbeat for Dalton.

Fox is probably drooling at the chances of a 49ers-Seahawks NFC Championship game. Before the season that was probably their most wanted match-up.

Hell CBS probably is too for Pats-Broncos.

Fair point, but (and I honestly don't remember) wasn't the Colts defense pretty shitty back then? I mean, Dalton has one of the best receivers in the league, a great running game and more than capable Tight Ends and other Receivers as well as having a very good defense.

Hard to bring everyone back without really pissing off the fanbase. They're out for blood and who can blame them after losing 3 playoff games in a row? They weren't even competitive today and they were at home and heavily favored. Not to mention that they have played great at home ALL YEAR until today.

Not saying Dalton will turn into Peyton. Just pointing out that a couple of bad playoff performances shouldn't be why you get rid of a QB. Small sample size messes up the Big picture.

You get rid of Dalton if you think he's a bad qb. Not because he threw 2 picks in one game that just happens to be in January

Top Bottom