• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

bionic77

There hasn't been a rookie that played great on the Steelers' defense since Mean Joe. Even Troy was pedestrian in his first year.
I am not sure if you could call him a rookie but James Harrison was a fucking beast in his first full year in the league and first year playing for the Steelers.

Before 07 I don't think he ever got any playing time other than some special teams.

Of course by then he was like 6 years out of college.

brentech

Bush wasn't a bad pick up though.

The problem with the Lions start with Stafford and that terrible secondary.

I didn't say he was a bad pickup. But knowing that they had a terrible secondary, they did need a back to just milk the clock. Bell was the better option, as Reggie doesn't really have the trait. He's good at explosive plays, but that's not Detroit's problem. That and getting winded after big plays, or small cramps/injuries that he's always been plagued with.

Context.

bionic77

haha people get held back that many grades early on? lol, I understand when you hit teen years and you start fucking around and not getting enough credits to be move up. but holy shit lol
I don't think it happens anymore, but I went to a shitty ass elementary school as a kid too.

Then again I am not even sure the kid I am talking about could even read. You could just slide by until you were 16 and then quit to become a mechanic or something.

I was a varsity athlete in more than one sport in high school brah!

Granted I got my first letter in tennis but I am pretty sure that is still a sport!

I was a good dodge ball player back in the day. I will admit that I was not the best in elementary school though. There was a kid who was held back 3 grades who was the absolute king and GOAT at dodgeball at our school. He was 13 in 5th grade and when we played dodgeball it was like that scene from Happy Gilmore. He might have been dumb as shit (and yet still smarter than Gata) but he owned all of our asses in dodgeball.

:lol

Bowser

wow 7 years for cutler? shiiiiiet

tumblr_lqrl3xemDw1qb0q9io1_400.gif

jakncoke

Banned
I don't think it happens anymore, but I went to a shitty ass elementary school as a kid too.

Then again I am not even sure the kid I am talking about could even read. You could just slide by until you were 16 and then quit to become a mechanic or something.

mechanics make good wages. the mechanic that they quoted my car for was 48 a hour! he would more than like would of been the guy at the fast food that managed to fuck up your order even though you only ordered 3 things with default options on it

bionic77

mechanics make good wages. the mechanic that they quoted my car for was 48 a hour! he would more than like would of been the guy at the fast food that managed to fuck up your order even though you only ordered 3 things with default options on it
They don't pay most mechanics nearly what they charge us for at the shop.

The money is in owning the shop not being the technician or mechanic.

They are not starving but those guys are not usually ballers either.

Most mechanics I know do work on the side for extra money. My old mechanic worked out of his garage.

xnipx

$18m/yr smh

I get it that a team is screwed w/o a QB, but that really puts them against it. End up like the Ravens where you can't keep an important piece

Joe flaccos contract had nothing to do with the ravens sucking ass this year. Anquan or no anquan we need new offense and defensive coordinators and about 3 new lineman.

jakncoke

Banned

bet its more than what gata gets for trimming his mothers bush on the weekend

The NFCN is just the Green Bay invitational for ever. Ridiculous how bad the teams in that division are. Packers went 2-5-1 in games without Rodgers this year and made up ground in the division. Lions will always be the Lions, lol at a franchise that has never even been to a SB and only won 1 playoff game in 50 years, by far the worst franchise in professional sports. The Bears are so determined to prove that the trade for Cutler was a good move that they sabotaged their own chances this year, and now have signed Cutler to a huge contract going forward. What a horribly run team they are. Congrats on the next 10 division titles Packer fans.

effzee

Vick is still better than what most teams have at qb. He is worth it if you get him for cheap.

Only problem is he can't stay healthy. No team, even if they decide to go with a veteran for 1-3 years until they draft a QB, can rely on him to last.

This year was his best chance to stay healthy because Chip loves to run the ball so his exposure would be limited. The OLINE is also now one of the better lines in all of the NFL. And he was avoiding those unnecessary hits and turnovers, but then just blew his hamstring running untouched.

Hope he comes back as our back up when no team commits to him to be a starter.

MechDX

The NFCN is just the Green Bay invitational for ever. Ridiculous how bad the teams in that division are. Packers went 2-5-1 in games without Rodgers this year and made up ground in the division. Lions will always be the Lions, lol at a franchise that has never even been to a SB and only won 1 playoff game in 50 years, by far the worst franchise in professional sports. The Bears are so determined to prove that the trade for Cutler was a good move that they sabotaged their own chances this year, and now have signed Cutler to a huge contract going forward. What a horribly run team they are. Congrats on the next 10 division titles Packer fans.

NFCN = AFCE Seriously, the other teams in both divisions need to get a damn clue.

Greg

the Vikings are legit contenders though

they just had an off year

aO0RsFj.jpg

Cutler was far from the problem with the team this year. He put up 28 points against the Packers. With anything remotely resembling an average defense, that would have been enough to win the game and secure the North. Instead, the offense has to score 30+ every week to win. That's not sustainable, unless you play the Bears or Cowboys defense every week. If Emery can build an even somewhat competent defense, the Bears will contend next year. Of course, that's a huge if.

bionic77

Only problem is he can't stay healthy. No team, even if they decide to go with a veteran for 1-3 years until they draft a QB, can rely on him to last.

This year was his best chance to stay healthy because Chip loves to run the ball so his exposure would be limited. The OLINE is also now one of the better lines in all of the NFL. And he was avoiding those unnecessary hits and turnovers, but then just blew his hamstring running untouched.

Hope he comes back as our back up when no team commits to him to be a starter.
With the right coach and if surrounded by a good team I think Vick could be successful. Is he going to be a top 5 qb in the league? No, but he is still better than what most teams are going to be putting on the field next year.

I think what you suggest is perfect. Get Vick and draft a young qb. Then play Vick for a year or until the wheels fall off and then you have given your prospect some time to learn and hopefully by that time they are ready.

wow 7 years for cutler? shiiiiiet

Years are pretty irrelevant on NFL contracts. Only thing that matters is the up front money.

Most mechanics I know do work on the side for extra money. My old mechanic worked out of his garage.

I lived next to a dude who ran a business out of his garage. He was a nice guy and great mechanic too. Helped me out a few times and recommended me to places when he couldn't fix it himself.

Greg

With the right coach and if surrounded by a good team I think Vick could be successful. Is he going to be a top 5 qb in the league? No, but he is still better than what most teams are going to be putting on the field next year.

I think what you suggest is perfect. Get Vick and draft a young qb. Then play Vick for a year or until the wheels fall off and then you have given your prospect some time to learn and hopefully by that time they are ready.
6 weeks

Cutler was far from the problem with the team this year. He put up 28 points against the Packers. With anything remotely resembling an average defense, that would have been enough to win the game and secure the North. Instead, the offense has to score 30+ every week to win. That's not sustainable, unless you play the Bears or Cowboys defense every week. If Emery can build an even somewhat competent defense, the Bears will contend next year. Of course, that's a huge if.

The point though is that by saddling the team with an albatross QB contract it will be that much more difficult to address the defense.
A huge percentage of the Bears salary cap is not committed to the offense. They are going to be forced to rebuild the defense with rookies and bargain bin guys. They should have franchised and traded Cutler, kept Mccown and drafted a young QB and thrown all available resources at fixing the defense. The Bears offense is so stacked, they dont need an $18m a year QB to make it work.

I am not sure if you could call him a rookie but James Harrison was a fucking beast in his first full year in the league and first year playing for the Steelers.

Before 07 I don't think he ever got any playing time other than some special teams.

Of course by then he was like 6 years out of college.

He did. In '04, when Porter got tossed before the kickoff of the Browns game for fighting during warmups, James had to play and got a sack. The following year, he started in 4 games (for Clark Haggans I think) and totaled 3 sacks, 1 INT and 1 fumble recovery. He also dumped that Browns fan for running onto the field. In '06, he only started in 1 game for whatever reason. And then he exploded in '07 as his first as full time starter.

Tom Penny

If the Niners had a qb who could read a defense they would be undefeated.

If Mike Tomlin was more than a pretty face the Steelers finish with at least 11 wins.

If wishes were fishes we would all be casting nets motherfucker.

I don't get why you hate Tomlin. When Belichick retires with Brady send him to the Pats.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This blackout thing is depressing for many reasons, but the main one? I think it's a clear sign that the NFL is going to go to PPV games in the very near future--maybe even after the Sunday Ticket deal with DirecTV expires after next year.

It's quite obvious the experience at the game isn't anywhere near worth the ridiculous amount of money needed to pay for the ticket, parking, etc. HD feeds are great and you don't have to spend any money if you live in the same state as your team. If you don't live in the same state (like me), NFL Sunday Ticket is cheap enough to where it may cost even less to pay for an entire season than it would to go to one game.

I think we're looking at two options: Either PPV games or NFL Sunday Ticket prices double. I see absolutely no way the NFL loses the blackout rule (FCC can't do anything about it because NFL can sign a deal with local networks) or owners lower ticket prices.

bionic77

I don't get why you hate Tomlin. When Belichick retires with Brady send him to the Pats.
He is slow to adjust, he can't make halftime adjustments, he doesn't understand field positioning or clock management, and he is a defensive coach and yet our defense is a fucking laughing stock at the moment.

He can still command the respect of the players and I will be damned if anyone tells me there is a sexier coach alive, but I want some more actual coaching from him.

The good news is that he is young and hopefully he is going to continue to improve over time. The bad news is that Gata is even younger and it might be just me but he seems to be getting stupider over time so maybe people just stay stupid and we are fucked.

jakncoke

Banned
This blackout thing is depressing for many reasons, but the main one? I think it's a clear sign that the NFL is going to go to PPV games in the very near future--maybe even after the Sunday Ticket deal with DirecTV expires after next year.

It's quite obvious the experience at the game isn't anywhere near worth the ridiculous amount of money needed to pay for the ticket, parking, etc. HD feeds are great and you don't have to spend any money if you live in the same state as your team. If you don't live in the same state (like me), NFL Sunday Ticket is cheap enough to where it may cost even less to pay for an entire season than it would to go to one game.

I think we're looking at two options: Either PPV games or NFL Sunday Ticket prices double. I see absolutely no way the NFL loses the blackout rule (FCC can't do anything about it because NFL can sign a deal with local networks) or owners lower ticket prices.

I dunno about double but they its definitely going to take a price hike to try and get people back in the seats. I remember when my dad first god back in the day it was like 149.99 or something, isnt it up to like 350 now?

Top Bottom