• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

Tom Penny

This blackout thing is depressing for many reasons, but the main one? I think it's a clear sign that the NFL is going to go to PPV games in the very near future--maybe even after the Sunday Ticket deal with DirecTV expires after next year.

It's quite obvious the experience at the game isn't anywhere near worth the ridiculous amount of money needed to pay for the ticket, parking, etc. HD feeds are great and you don't have to spend any money if you live in the same state as your team. If you don't live in the same state (like me), NFL Sunday Ticket is cheap enough to where it may cost even less to pay for an entire season than it would to go to one game.

I think we're looking at two options: Either PPV games or NFL Sunday Ticket prices double. I see absolutely no way the NFL loses the blackout rule (FCC can't do anything about it because NFL can sign a deal with local networks) or owners lower ticket prices.

Sunday ticket and the other large % is Fantasy football. People with Redzone do not leave the house unless someone else they know also has redzone. You watch your team play..then it's redzone every other second.

Mrbob

$18m/yr smh

I get it that a team is screwed w/o a QB, but that really puts them against it. End up like the Ravens where you can't keep an important piece

Why? They have 40 million in cap space right now. Cuttles was getting around 12 million I believe. The team will save 8 million off the cap next year when they cut Peppers and about 20 million total off the yearly cap in future. They'll have plenty of money to make moves.

I'm glad they looked up Slausen and Jennings too. Slausen had a great year at guard.

MechDX

Bridgewater has vast responsibility at the line of scrimmage. First there is the kill system. Two or three plays are called in the huddle. Depending on the defense, Bridgewater has the ability to “kill” the first play, and run one of the others. It’s solely Bridgewater’s decision.

Bridgewater also has an audible system at his disposal, with the same goal as every good NFL system: stay out of bad plays. If the play Watson has called has little chance of success against a particular defense, Bridgewater can change the play entirely at the line of scrimmage.

What is this witchcraft?? Changing plays at the line of scrimmage? Is that even allowed?

“I study pro ball, that’s what I do, that’s my passion, my love. (NFL coaches) are the best at what they do, so I’ve made it what we do,” Watson said. “Most of these kids in college, the coordinator calls it from the press box and then there’s a signal system once the defense declares. The quarterback never gets developed, never gets taught. Teddy’s been taught from day one that I want him to be the coordinator at the line of scrimmage because he can be far better than me. And he can put the ball wherever he thinks is right.”

The inner belief in one’s ability. The never-ending quest for perfection at playing the position. An almost unhealthy competitive streak. The ability to lead. The desire not to be seen as being better than one’s teammate. Undeniable toughness.

Wow. After reading this article Teddy seems EXACTLY like the kind of guy O'Brien likes. Combine that with his dedication and not having off field issues McNair must be swooning as well.

Welcome to Houston Teddy!

jakncoke

Banned
He is slow to adjust, he can't make halftime adjustments, he doesn't understand field positioning or clock management, and he is a defensive coach and yet our defense is a fucking laughing stock at the moment.

He can still command the respect of the players and I will be damned if anyone tells me there is a sexier coach alive, but I want some more actual coaching from him.

The good news is that he is young and hopefully he is going to continue to improve over time. The bad news is that Gata is even younger and it might be just me but he seems to be getting stupider over time so maybe people just stay stupid and we are fucked.

Well how many defensive drafts have we whiffed on in his time?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sunday ticket and the other large % is Fantasy football. People with Redzone do not leave the house unless someone else they know also has redzone. You watch your team play..then it's redzone every other second.

This, too. I forgot about RedZone. That's going to skyrocket in price.

bionic77

Well how many defensive drafts have we whiffed on in his time?
Part of a head coaches job is the draft and development of talent.

Whether or not Tomlin actually has any input on our draft picks is another topic though.

God I hate this team. This must be what Gata's mother felt when they handed him up to her for the first time. She was probably cursing the founding fathers of Florida for making abortion, science and adoption illegal.

ShaneB

RedZone is the greatest thing ever. Please don't increase the price =(

Also, I'm late in regards to the Cutler contract. But... my god!!! What the hell??
KuGsj.gif

Dragon

Banned

Whether or not Tomlin actually has any input on our draft picks is another topic though.

God I hate this team. This must be what Gata's mother felt when they handed him up to her for the first time. She was probably cursing the founding fathers of Florida for making abortion, science and adoption illegal.

I'm sure Ponce De Leon gave two shits about abortion in 1513.

Ross lives in NY and lots of his advisers and business partners have ties to the Jets. He is supposedly considering bringing in Mangini to be GM

Well fuck in that case leave Ireland, I haven't kept up with Dolphin news all week since I've been away, so I have no idea what's being considered/rumored.

jakncoke

Banned

That could a part of the problem really. Our inability to develop our drafts. All i know it seems like an eternity since we had a bang out draft

If the Niners had a qb who could read a defense they would be undefeated.

If Mike Tomlin was more than a pretty face the Steelers finish with at least 11 wins.

If wishes were fishes we would all be casting nets motherfucker.

Boy he does have a pretty face and smile though. That has to be worth at least what, 5 wins?

DMczaf

Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole 30 Dec
Other names attached to Lovie Smith coaching staff: OL Tony Sparano, DC Leslie Frazier and obviously Rod Marinelli in any capacity he wants.

da dream team (of failed head coaches)!

Crisco

Banned
The Cutler signing is really just unbelievable. Their geriatric backup is a better QB, and he fucking proved it on the field. How do you give a guy who was outplayed by a backup making next to nothing a top dollar contract. Makes no sense.

Fantomex

The Cutler signing is really just unbelievable. Their geriatric backup is a better QB, and he fucking proved it on the field. How do you give a guy who was outplayed by a backup making next to nothing a top dollar contract. Makes no sense.

Name one backup in the last 5 years who is now a franchise QB? I think that's the problem. Once these dudes become starters and teams prepare for them in their divisons, it all goes downhill.

Crisco

Banned
Name one backup in the last 5 years who is now a franchise QB? I think that's the problem. Once these dudes become starters and teams prepare for them in their divisons, it all goes downhill.

I'm not saying Josh McCown could be a franchise QB, but neither should a guy he outplayed. Keep McCown and then draft one of these QBs with the 14th pick. This isn't similar to the Flacco situation at all. Cutler has never proven he can win shit.

The best thing about the Sunday Ticket are the Shortcuts that come on later. Being able to watch a game that's already been played with all the frivolous shit and commercials gone, in 30 minutes, is the best.

nateeasy

Banned
Its going to be very shitty of the NFL if they let any of these games get blacked out. The fact that 75% of their games on weekend are in blackout trouble shows that there's a huge issue with the rule.

MechDX

PFF names its DPOY Award:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/analysis-notebook-dpoy-special/

J.J. Watt

It made sense last season. Watt finished the year a hair shy of the all-time sack record, he batted down like a million passes, and he was making plays for everybody to see each and every week – plays that stuck out on the stat sheet. It helped that the Texans were winning games and he was the figurehead for that dominance. He ended the year breaking the PFF grading system becoming the first player to top 100 grading points in a season. This year the gaudy stats aren’t there, but would it surprise you to know that in PFF’s grading, a play by play measure of his performance, he actually topped his 2012 numbers?

2014-01-01_11-11-32.png

That's my DE!

tumblr_mq25fk4vbn1rvn2ylo1_500.gif

QB Contract Guarantee
J. Flacco 6 yrs, $120.6M $51M
A. Rodgers 5 yrs, $110M $54M
M. Ryan 5 yrs, $103.75M $59M
T. Romo 6 yrs, $108M $55M
T. Brady 3 yrs, &57M All
P. Manning 5 yrs, $96M $18M
M. Stafford 3 yrs, $53M $41.5M
D. Brees 5 yrs, $100M $55M

Flacco will never be dethroned.

DMczaf

Gerald McCoy and Lavonte David

The first candidates to appear on the same team, both Gerald McCoy and Lavonte David have had fantastic seasons, and interestingly though they are both on the same team, neither has had much help around them. McCoy has been a shining light on a defensive line that has been unable to provide any kind of backup. While his season grade is a massive +56.3 the rest of the Tampa Bay defensive linemen have combined for a -84.4 grade with every single member grading negatively. Similarly though David has posted a huge grade the other starter Mason Foster has been poor (Tampa Bay roll with sub packages for the majority of the time and no other linebacker has more than 263 snaps).

Both players are clearly Pro-Bowlers (despite David’s laughable omission) and All-Pro deserving after the season they have had but they are the first of the players whose seasons I don’t think are really DPOY worthy, such is the competition they are going up against. Gerald McCoy was in the shadow of Ndamukong Suh at draft time and for the beginnings of their respective careers. A few injuries held him back and it wasn’t really until this season that we saw what he was capable of. While Suh had his best season to date he was surrounded by capable help in Detroit. McCoy did it all on his own in Tampa Bay. Take this play against the Saints last week.

ANDPOY1.jpg

This is a sack from McCoy that in reality he has no business getting. The first unusual thing is that he’s starting from a 0-technique, a true nose tackle position head up over the center. Players with this kind of alignment don’t typically generate much pressure. This is originally how defenders lined up, before somebody figured out they were much more likely to get penetration if they lined up in gaps or shaded towards them. McCoy is there in this instance because they are running a stunt designed to spring Lavonte David free up the middle. McCoy and Adrian Claiborne (#94) crash hard to the gaps to their right, hopefully drawing three blockers as David then loops in behind them into the open A-gap. McCoy’s role on the play is essentially just to disrupt things but he is so quick and powerful off the line that he beats the center into the gap, powers through and gets a sack before the stunt can develop behind him. There are very few players in the NFL capable of doing this and he was doing it on a regular basis all season long.

Lovie is going to have a LOT of fun with these two.

QB Contract Guarantee
J. Flacco 6 yrs, $120.6M $51M
A. Rodgers 5 yrs, $110M $54M
M. Ryan 5 yrs, $103.75M $59M
T. Romo 6 yrs, $108M $55M
T. Brady 3 yrs, &57M All
P. Manning 5 yrs, $96M $18M
M. Stafford 3 yrs, $53M $41.5M
D. Brees 5 yrs, $100M $55M

Flacco will never be dethroned.

My god Romo and Stafford look out of place on this list.

Top Bottom