• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

jbug617

Banned
Your leader has landed Mech.

BdAIx_GCYAE2kBr.jpg

BigAT

Listening to Detroit sports radio, host keeps claiming Harbaugh has a lot of friction in SF and may be a free agent/could come to the Lions or U of M. I've never heard anything to support these claims, shit sounds like fantasy.

Kas has his own radio show?

Chris Cooley said:
“He has a hard time understanding what Mike didn’t like about him,” Cooley said of Griffin. “There was a problem with their relationship, but there was also this idea that Mike didn’t like Robert. And that idea wasn’t just among Robert; there were a lot of people that saw that Mike had a problem with Robert. And Mike never talked to Robert about that problem. So you’re a young guy; all you want to know is what people think of you, what people really want, what they expect, how they feel about you. And Robert throughout the entire year was under the impression that his head coach really didn’t like him.

“And he didn’t know why,” Cooley continued. “He was never told why.
There was never a meeting to say hey, this is a problem, this is what I don’t like about you. You can’t do that. You have to know. When I was a player, I had to know. Even if it’s bad, just give me the bad news. Bad news is [better] than not knowing and just thinking the worst. So I was proud of Robert [for not criticizing the Shanahans], because I think he did respect a lot of what Kyle had done, I knew he got along well with Kyle, because guys that I trust said that they got along well. Rex Grossman said that they got along just fine all the time, they worked together all the time….

Mike :/

i.e. the Gilbride news.

I know many fans will be jumping for joy and the "killdrive" meme will be out front and center but he deserves a bit more respect for the years of hard work he gave the team. Two Super Bowls, the development of a franchise QB and an offense that was consistently ranked highly in the league. He had his downsides like any coordinator and there had to be some level of accountability for the year we just had but I'm not jumping up an down on his "grave" so to speak in happiness either.

eznark

Banned
i.e. the Gilbride news.

I know many fans will be jumping for joy and the "killdrive" meme will be out front and center but he deserves a bit more respect for the years of hard work he gave the team. Two Super Bowls, the development of a franchise QB and an offense that was consistently ranked highly in the league. He had his downsides like any coordinator and there had to be some level of accountability for the year we just had but I'm not jumping up an down on his "grave" so to speak in happiness either.

The best thing for a highly paid QB coming off of his worst year (and one of the worst years of any QB) is to completely change schemes. This will be super great for Eli.

RIP Eli

The best thing for a highly paid QB coming off of his worst year (and one of the worst years of any QB) is to completely change schemes. This will be super great for Eli.

RIP Eli
If they actually get who I think they are going after - it won't be much of a change of scheme.

Giants really like Mike Sullivan who pretty much ran a version of Gilbrides offense in Tampa Bay. He was Eli's QB coach in 2011 (his best season) and he's a Coughlin guy through and through.

Though I asked this question earlier in the thread, why not just keep Gilbride, then? I don't buy that it's anything other than a forced retirement but maybe I'm wrong and Gilbride just had enough.

I'd take Zimmer over Gruden if they could hire a good, young OC to go along with him. I guess jay wouldn't be so bad though.

If I could only one guy to bring in any capacity--Head Coach, coordinator, whatever, it'd be Gregg Williams.

I'm super suspect of virtually every other name I've heard we're interviewing to be honest.

eznark

Banned
If I could only one guy to bring in any capacity--Head Coach, coordinator, whatever, it'd be Gregg Williams.

I'm super suspect of virtually every other name I've heard we're interviewing to be honest.

Any time you are given the option of hiring a guy with a career record of 13-31 you have to take it.

If they actually get who I think they are going after - it won't be much of a change of scheme.

Giants really like Mike Sullivan who pretty much ran a version of Gilbrides offense in Tampa Bay. He was Eli's QB coach in 2011 (his best season) and he's a Coughlin guy through and through.

Though I asked this question earlier in the thread, why not just keep Gilbride, then? I don't buy that it's anything other than a forced retirement but maybe I'm wrong and Gilbride just had enough.

Giants went 7-9 off an 0-6 start and Eli had one of his worst seasons ever. Somebody's gotta pay and I guess the guy is Gilbride.

gutshot

Proof that Foles doesn't only throw to guys who are "college open".

Asked earlier this week why the Eagles’ passing game stalled in the second half against Dallas, Chip Kelly pointed to two factors – neither of which had anything to do with Nick Foles.

“They did a decent job generating the pass rush on a couple things, and there were a few times down the field where we just couldn’t get off of some jams,” Kelly said. “It was a combination of the two things.”

Kelly has not hesitated to criticize Foles in the past – when warranted. After the Vikings game, for example, he labeled the quarterback’s play inconsistent.

So was he protecting his quarterback here, or did he really feel like the breakdowns had more to do with protections and the receivers?

Based on the tape, it’s the latter. On most occasions when Foles held on to the ball, he didn’t have anywhere to go with it. For examples, let’s go to the All-22.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/01/02/22-foles-sacked/

Also, Dallas got away with a ton of DPI and defensive holding in the game. "Not getting off of some jams" is Kelly's safe way of saying that the receivers were being held.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...her-Cowboys-nor-refs-can-beat-the-Eagles.html

Giants went 7-9 off an 0-6 start and Eli had one of his worst seasons ever. Somebody's gotta pay and I guess the guy is Gilbride.
Sure. Like I said in the initial post, there has to be a level of accountability there. I just don't think there was much Gilbride was going to be able to do much with all of the injuries and lack of depth at the offensive line.

Seems kind of weird that this is like the least heat Coughlin has ever gotten.
He'll get the benefit of the doubt for this season. Start next year 0-6 and all bets are off.

Sure. Like I said in the initial post, there has to be a level of accountability there. I just don't think there was much Gilbride was going to be able to do much with all of the injuries and lack of depth at the offensive line.

That's just it - I think you're trying to find a reason but I don't think there is one outside of "We gotta fire somebody". Sometimes you gotta feed a christian to the lions to keep the fans from revolting.

Syrinx

Was not impressed much at all with Sullivan as our OC. Playcalling was vanilla and uninspired as hell for the most part.

Striker

The person who was responsible for the personnel is Reese, and he's to blame for the offensive shit show they had in 2013 (also for the lack of decent LB's). He wasn't going anywhere, and while they will definitely look at new players along the line and at other positions like TE and RB, coaching was something they also had to look into because of the two shutouts.

That's just it - I think you're trying to find a reason but I don't think there is one outside of "We gotta fire somebody". Sometimes you gotta feed a christian to the lions to keep the fans from revolting.
Yeah, you're right there. I just happen to be one of the few that didn't hate the guy.:)

Was not impressed much at all with Sullivan as our OC. Playcalling was vanilla and uninspired as hell for the most part.
He was being in lauded in his first year for his playcalling and offense when Doug Martin was having a monster year and he actually made Freeman look like a competent QB.

Freeman in 2013 all but gave up, Doug Martin is out for the year, issues at QB, etc. That tends to create some problems. Not saying he couldn't have done more to adjust but yeah.

Sullivan had/has a great relationship with Eli when he was with the Giants and make no mistake - the Giants are running Coughlin's offense to an extent. He's heavily involved in the offensive game planning and the product on the field offensively bears plenty of his trademarks. You'll see similar if Sullivan is brought in. It makes the most sense so as not to "rock the boat" too much and have Eli and the offense learn an entirely new scheme.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 7m
Texas A&M WR Mike Evans and Penn St. WR Allen Robinson declared for NFL draft.

Expected wind chill in Green Bay at time of kickoff for Niners/Pack: -30

Reminds me of the classic Giants-Favres NFC Championship Game

Tom-Coughlin1372103075.jpg

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 7m
Texas A&M WR Mike Evans and Penn St. WR Allen Robinson declared for NFL draft.

Expected wind chill in Green Bay at time of kickoff for Niners/Pack: -30

Reminds me of the classic Giants-Favres NFC Championship Game

Tom-Coughlin1372103075.jpg
His face is *STILL* red from that game.

eznark

Banned
Sorry Kaepernick, those Beats might block out the haters but they aint gonna save you against the cold!!

I think his mom abandoned him outside the orphanage in pretty similar weather so he has a natural tolerance against the cold, and affection.

Top Bottom