• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

Tom Penny

Do you guys think divsion winner should automatically get a home game as their reward or should it go by record? I guess the easiest example is GB hosting a game with 8-7-1 record vs a 12-4 team in the 49'ers.

Ellerbe finished 50th of 55 rated ILB and Wheeler 35th of 35 OLB. But my GM remains employed...
Something else worth pointing out is that both of those guys were worse in Miami than with their previous teams (plus Dansby and Burnett both had good years away from Miami), so it seems to me that Ireland and the coaches have failed when it comes to the new LB's.

Punter is in the Pro Bowl lulz
If Fields was an average punter the Dolphins probably would have lost at least two more games, lol. I love that dude but it's sad how much they have to rely on his services.

Add Ellerbe to the list of linebackers Ray Lewis got paid.
Pretty much. He sucks at everything he was supposed to be good at. Slow, bad in coverage, can't shed blocks, can't read RB's, never gets TFL... just worthless.

Something else worth pointing out is that both of those guys were worse in Miami than with their previous teams (plus Dansby and Burnett both had good years away from Miami), so it seems to me that Ireland and the coaches have failed when it comes to the new LB's.

This team is where players go to retire and rookies underachieve until they get to other teams.

Crisco

Banned
Do you guys think divsion winner should automatically get a home game as their reward or should it go by record? I guess the easiest example is GB hosting a game with 8-7-1 record vs a 12-4 team in the 49'ers.

Winning your division should get you in the playoffs automatically, but yeah, seeding should be determined solely by record. I also don't think bye weeks should even be a thing. If you're the 1 or 2 seed, the fact that you get a poor team at home to start the playoffs is reward enough. Hockey doesn't get bye weeks and its just as if not more physical than football. Plus those crazy fuckers have to play multiple games a week.

Fantomex

This team is where players go to retire and rookies underachieve until they get to other teams.

I just want to be happy, is that so bad? Start from scratch. Let everyone go in the front office and coaching staff. Fire the janitors, maids, parking attendants and security just to be sure. I don't care if they get a college coach or an unknown Assistant, just someone who shows emotion and gets pissed off.

Yup. Win your division, then you won't have a basis for complaint. It's not Green Bays fault that the entirety of the NFC north was putrid dogshit this season and allowed them to sneak in. This exact same argument came up when a 7-9 Seahawks team hosted a 11-5 Saints team three seasons ago. And hey, if and when the Niners win Sunday, it won't even manner.

I just want to be happy, is that so bad? Start from scratch. Let everyone go in the front office and coaching staff. Fire the janitors, maids, parking attendants and security just to be sure. I don't care if they get a college coach or an unknown Assistant, just someone who shows emotion and gets pissed off.

I agree completely, in fact they should go a step further and burn down the stadium and start somewhere new.

JCizzle

I'm fine with the winner getting the home game to add incentive to winning your division. However, I think they should re seed in round 2 to prevent the 1 seed from getting screwed. For example, if Phi and SF win, Seattle plays the team with the better record despite being the one seed. I don't think that is fair. The one seed deserves all the benefits.

I think a bigger issue is Arizona being left out completely, but in order for them to make it in you either leave out a division winner or expand to 8 teams.

I guess I'm a little slower to give up on everyone than the average Dolphins fan. I wouldn't mind seeing Philbin get one more year. The last time everything was blown up we got Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano. Not sure I'm ready for another one of those episodes.

Bowser

are any of you dudes brave enough to post your pre-season predictions? :cool:

Not too bad I guess, no one really expected atlanta and houston to self-destruct like they did. woulda been right with Detroit if they hadnt crapped their pants either lol!!

Mine:

NFC EAST: Redskins

NFC NORTH: Packers WC: Bears

NFC SOUTH: Panthers

NFC WEST: Seahawks WC: 49ers

AFC EAST: Patriots WC: Dolphins

AFC NORTH: Bengals WC: Browns

AFC SOUTH: Texans

AFC WEST: Broncos

Super Bowl: Broncos over Packers

Bolded my "ugh" picks. DAMNIT KAVE I BELIEVED

Fantomex

I agree completely, in fact they should go a step further and burn down the stadium and start somewhere new.

Or move them to So Cal so I can watch them.

I guess I'm a little slower to give up on everyone than the average Dolphins fan. I wouldn't mind seeing Philbin get one more year. The last time everything was blown up we got Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano. Not sure I'm ready for another one of those episodes.

I am. I would rather be 2-14 then to be 8-8 and not good enough for the playoffs and not bad enough for a good pick. And even when we pick in the top 3 we either get Ronnie Brown or Dion Jordan.

The Saints fans' "Rocky" run through Philly has been cancelled on the basis of some Eagles fans promising to be less than hospitable.

The real reason this is canceled is because Philly is too cold for Saints fans.

Also, the small handful of idiots that posted that crap should not be considered representative of Philadelphia fans. You could find that shit in any city.

Pro

No. There would be no need for division play otherwise and division play creates good rivalries and is good for the sport. If it were the other way you could have scenarios where teams would make a wildcard spot because they were in an easy division and might have a better record than a division winner in a genuinely hard division. A division championship from a tough division should mean more than a wild card from an easier division. There's always two sides to the coin so just leave it as is. No need to change.

I am. I would rather be 2-14 then to be 8-8 and not good enough for the playoffs and not bad enough for a good pick. And even when we pick in the top 3 we either get Ronnie Brown or Dion Jordan.
Hey, I liked Ronnie Brown... :(

I get what you're saying, though. But to be fair Dion Jordan was probably way more of an Ireland decision than a Philbin decision. I'm definitely done with Ireland at this point. I guess the problem with keeping Philbin and firing the GM is a lot of GM's won't want to take the job without bringing in their guy.

Really I'm on the fence. If Philbin gets fired I won't be sad about it. I just want to see at least some changes.

manfestival

im pretty stoked about lovie smith being the headcoach for the bucs. We really needed an experienced mind behind the bucs. Plenty of talent and lovie is a capable man.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No. There would be no need for division play otherwise and division play creates good rivalries and is good for the sport. If it were the other way you could have scenarios where teams would make a wildcard spot because they were in an easy division and might have a better record than a division winner in a genuinely hard division. A division championship from a tough division should mean more than a wild card from an easier division. There's always two sides to the coin so just leave it as is. No need to change.

Division winners still make the playoffs.

I think the team with the better record should get home field advantage.

I think a bigger issue is Arizona being left out completely, but in order for them to make it in you either leave out a division winner or expand to 8 teams.

They win one more game and its a non-issue. Yeah, they had a harder schedule, but thems the breaks sometimes. I can't justify leaving out a division winner, otherwise what's the point of even having divisions?

Fantomex

Hey, I liked Ronnie Brown... :(

I get what you're saying, though. But to be fair Dion Jordan was probably way more of an Ireland decision than a Philbin decision. I'm definitely done with Ireland at this point. I guess the problem with keeping Philbin and firing the GM is a lot of GM's won't want to take the job without bringing in their guy.

Really I'm on the fence. If Philbin gets fired I won't be sad about it. I just want to see at least some changes.

I guess my problem with Philbin is that he is ALSO not that loud of a voice when it comes to personnel decisions. Some would even say Sherman outranked him. I have a problem with a coach that just takes whomever they give him. Anyways, that's the feel I got from them being on Hard Knocks. Philbin is a good person, and that's what clouds peoples judgement. Vince Lombardi probably beat his wife, but noone cared because he won super bowls. Philbin is not a leader, he's like Cam Cameron. Just a good Coordinator.

bionic77

He makes way more money at OU than he would make at Cleveland though. Chud made like half of what Stoops makes.
Then they probably have evidence that he is a pedophile and told him to either take the Browns job or lube up.

I like the way thing are now but there should be an exception to teams that can't get to 9 wins. Those teams should still get a home playoff game but they have to wear the uniforms of the last place team in the division for the duration of the playoffs.

Hunter S.

They win one game and its a non-issue. Yeah, they had a harder schedule, but thems the breaks sometimes. I can't justify leaving out a division winner, otherwise what's the point of even having divisions?
I am not loving how teams with 8-8 records can win divisions. I prefer what the NHL implemented this year. Four huge divisions top three seeds make the playoffs. The two wild card teams come from either of the two Western and two Eastern divisions. In the NFL's case, two AFC and two NFC wildcards. this prevents teams like the Packers from having better odds because they won a division when their record is way worse then the Wild card teams. I am all in for this type of change.

I guess my problem with Philbin is that he is ALSO not that loud of a voice when it comes to personnel decisions. Some would even say Sherman outranked him. I have a problem with a coach that just takes whomever they give him. Anyways, that's the feel I got from them being on Hard Knocks. Philbin is a good person, and that's what clouds peoples judgement. Vince Lombardi probably beat his wife, but noone cared because he won super bowls. Philbin is not a leader, he's like Cam Cameron. Just a good Coordinator.
Damn!

I get what you're saying, man. I tend to go easier on guys I perceive as good people so I definitely think that plays into my reasoning for not turning on Philbin completely yet. Even still, I wouldn't say he's Cam Cameron tier. That dude isn't even a good coordinator (look at his time in Baltimore last season for a recent example), he's just an idiot.

There was a rumor yesterday saying that Sherman actually ran the team and was more of a head coach than Philbin was, I believe it and that's one of the reasons why we just need to clean house and start over.

Top Bottom