• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

We all hate New Orleans today
Yeah!

To be fair, I hate New Orleans most days.
Yeah!

Also Atlanta.
ibuCtwayu6zMm7.gif

RoKKeR

Yo GAF I need quick fantasy advice for my league here at university. Sit Cam Newton in place of Phil Rivers? Looks like he is still very questionable and even if he does play won't be in the game much.

Thoughts?

TheFatOne

You have a different definition of what a 'fine' rookie season is. He had 37 catches and 4 TDs in an offense starved for any WR. Keep in mind, Julian Edelman caught 100 passes last year.

Games Played 13 Receptions 43 Yards 489 TD 2
Games Played 12 Receptions 37 Yards 519 TD 4

One is Branch's rookie season the other is Dobsons. He was fine last season. Again your premise is chicken little the sky is falling bullshit. At least wait a few games into the season before declaring a pick a bust. Your premise is hilariously awful.
Alshon Jeffery’s first season: 24 receptions, 367 yards, 3 touchdowns
Aaron Dobson’s first season: 37 receptions, 519 yards, 4 touchdowns

What a bum! Cut him!

Should have went with his boy Branch like he posted. Again his entire post is hilariously awful. Pats might as well cut Dobson now since he is a bust.

squicken

Yo GAF I need quick fantasy advice for my league here at university. Sit Cam Newton in place of Phil Rivers? Looks like he is still very questionable and even if he does play won't be in the game much.

Thoughts?

Start Rivers even if Cam is 100%

Colasante

When did I say to cut him?

1. Jay Cutler vs. Tom Brady
2. Jeffery was playing opposite Brandon Marshall.
3. Jeffery didn't even start half the games that year.

1. What does that matter? It's a professional quarterback throwing balls to professional wide receivers.

2. That's a point in Dobson's favor, not Jeffery's. When Dobson started at X, he was facing the opposing team's best cornerback, while Jeffery was facing the opposing team's second best.

3. Dobson didn't even start half the games last year, either.

I don't see the need to be so reactionary. It's always tough for a wide receiver to transition to the NFL in their first season, especially with an offense as complex as the Patriots.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Derek Anderson possibly starting?!?!?

What interesting news to wake up to.

By my count, that makes 3 NFL teams for you. Derek Anderson team 1, Derek Anderson team 2 and the Toronto Bills. Starting to encroach on squicken territory, my friend.

One is Branch's rookie season the other is Dobsons. He was fine last season. Again your premise is chicken little the sky is falling bullshit. At least wait a few games into the season before declaring a pick a bust. Your premise is hilariously awful.
Generally speaking he's right. Belichick has never been great at drafting WR's. Jury is still out on the newest bunch obviously but that doesn't change history.

I guess this is the part where I say you're welcome for Welker.

Dragon

Banned

So my premise that the Patriots have had problems with drafting WR is hilariously awful? I don't think you understand what a premise is. You're arguing against the evidence I'm making for my premise, not the premise itself.

In 2002, the Patriots actually had decent second tier WR with Troy Brown getting the lions share of the targets.

If I had any motivation, I'd make a Browns QB jersey like offering for the Pats drafted WR since 2001. It's embarrassing.

1. What does that matter? It's a professional quarterback throwing balls to professional wide receivers.

2. That's a point in Dobson's favor, not Jeffery's. When Dobson started at X, he was facing the opposing team's best cornerback, while Jeffery was facing the opposing team's second best.

3. Dobson didn't even start half the games last year, either.

I don't see the need to be so reactionary. It's always tough for a wide receiver to transition to the NFL in their first season, especially with an offense as complex as the Patriots.

1. Because Tom Brady even as old as he is, is better than Jay Cutler? You don't think QBs can make WRs better?
2. Eh, that's pretty hard to actually quantify really. I was talking more about targets.
3. Dobson started 9 regular season games last year, last time I checked that's more than half.

It's a pattern, could Dobson break the pattern? Of course, but it's a pattern of shit drafting for years from the position that has left the Patriots in this mess where they have to count on guys like Danny Amendola to play meaningful snaps. They have to rely on a TE who has trouble staying on the field with unfortunate injuries. You may disagree with me about Dobson, it's been one year, but I find it hard to believe you'd disagree with the last 10 years.

TheFatOne

Generally speaking he's right. Belichick has never been great at drafting WR's. Jury is still out on the newest bunch obviously but that doesn't change history.

I guess this is the part where I say you're welcome for Welker.

I'm not disagreeing with that part. You could have said the same thing for Belichick drafting impact DEs outside of Seymour. Simply because you have a poor track record drafting at a certain position doensn't mean the current guy is a bust. It's just his second season no need to panic before the first game has even been played. Wait the season out before saying shit like that.

Vyroxis

Banned
The bears will probably find some way to lose to the bills today. It is written.

Not humanly possible. The Bills are easily a contender for top three downright awful teams this season. Bears aren't anything overly special, but should have no trouble manhandling that godawful offensive line.

JCizzle

I'm not disagreeing with that part. You could have said the same thing for Belichick drafting impact DEs outside of Seymour. Simply because you have a poor track record drafting at a certain position doensn't mean the current guy is a bust. It's just his second season no need to panic before the first game has even been played. Wait the season out before saying shit like that.

I said that about AJ Jenkins too. Didn't turn out well!

TheFatOne

So my premise that the Patriots have had problems with drafting WR is hilariously awful? I don't think you understand what a premise is. You're arguing against the evidence I'm making for my premise, not the premise itself.

In 2002, the Patriots actually had decent second tier WR with Troy Brown getting the lions share of the targets.

If I had any motivation, I'd make a Browns QB jersey like offering for the Pats drafted WR since 2001. It's embarrassing.
It's way way too early for this bullshit. I mean you would have a point if he missed the first two to four games. The season has yet to even start, and you are already panicking when it comes to Dobson. Right now it's far to early for this. You're starting this when the first game hasn't even been played.
I said that about AJ Jenkins too. Didn't turn out well!

Draft of course is all guess work. Dobson could be a bust, but it's far to early to even speculate about that.

Dragon

Banned
It's way way too early for this bullshit. I mean you would have a point if he missed the first two to four games. The season has yet to even start, and you are already panicking when it comes to Dobson. Right now it's far to early for this. You're starting this when the first game hasn't even been played.

Of course I am! I'm frustrated with the team. It's nice they brought in some big name defensive players, and I have hope that players like Jamie Collins are going to continue to develop, but man they put themselves in such a horrible position with their drafting. You may not like my negativity but I'm not sure why you guys are so positive about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom