• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 10 |OT| - Fright Night

zychi

Banned
There was a time when we needed someone to cover gaming news.

Hell I am old enough to remember when it was a big deal to know when a game was released. Otherwise you just fucking showed up at eb games every few weeks and saw what was on the shelves. Very few commercials. You often picked a game from word of mouth or based on the pictures and advertising on the box. At that time the pictures of the actual game with some words on what to expect and maybe a review were pretty valuable.

But now with demos and a shit load of media on every game, there is not much need for it anymore. Basically it is advertising, personality and sometimes opinions. But you can get the advertising and opinions from more people if you go to a message board or any social media outlet.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I read a review or visited a gaming website. Maybe I am an outlier but I feel that is probably the norm for most people these days.

Its just games bro. Its not something important like sports where I have to read every opinion from every stupid sports journalist on the internet after my team wins to confirm what my eyes and the final score already told me!
tumblr_m50bxvFP7s1r4ydzn.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
There was a time when we needed someone to cover gaming news.

Hell I am old enough to remember when it was a big deal to know when a game was released. Otherwise you just fucking showed up at eb games every few weeks and saw what was on the shelves. Very few commercials. You often picked a game from word of mouth or based on the pictures and advertising on the box. At that time the pictures of the actual game with some words on what to expect and maybe a review were pretty valuable.

But now with demos and a shit load of media on every game, there is not much need for it anymore. Basically it is advertising, personality and sometimes opinions. But you can get the advertising and opinions from more people if you go to a message board or any social media outlet.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I read a review or visited a gaming website. Maybe I am an outlier but I feel that is probably the norm for most people these days.

Its just games bro. Its not something important like sports where I have to read every opinion from every stupid sports journalist on the internet after my team wins to confirm what my eyes and the final score already told me!

Did they even have official release dates back when? Or maybe they weren't universal? I drove my mom crazy over Mortal Kombat 2 because we would go looking for it whenever they started advertising it. None of the advertisements that I remember had a release date on it so you just had to keep dropping into Walmart or wherever until it finally showed up.

bionic77

I remember gaming age. Does it still exist?

This is a place where I go to talk to nerds who are into sports. My "people".

Did they even have official release dates back when? Or maybe they weren't universal? I drove my mom crazy over Mortal Kombat 2 because we would go looking for it whenever they started advertising it. None of the advertisements that I remember had a release date on it so you just had to keep dropping into Walmart or wherever until it finally showed up.
I feel like only the biggest games had solid release dates in the 80s and early 90s. A lot of games had release dates like Fall or October. I actually remember getting VHS tapes and specific advertising targeted at me for certain games. DKC sticks out in my mind for that. I don't remember crazy marketing until the PSX era (unless you count the movie that was made to promote SM3). Was FF7 the first game with that kind of marketing?

zychi

Banned

I remember the ToysRus ads had release dates for SNES and N64 games. At least when they would get them in. I still remember paying $100 fucking dollars for WWE WarZone for N64 at Funcoland. It's hilarious to hear people bitch about DLC and $60 games today, when a 64mb game costs $60-$120 depending on how hard it was to find in your area.

You can kinda see the "in store" date at the bottom of the ad.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I remember gaming age. Does it still exist?

This is a place where I go to talk to nerds who are into sports. My "people".

I feel like only the biggest games had solid release dates in the 80s and early 90s. A lot of games had release dates like Fall or October. I actually remember getting VHS tapes and specific advertising targeted at me for certain games. DKC sticks out in my mind for that. I don't remember crazy marketing until the PSX era (unless you count the movie that was made to promote SM3). Was FF7 the first game with that kind of marketing?

Ha I got that DKC video too and the Killer Instinct CD also.

I remember loads of commercials for Secret of Mana of all things and for Link's Awakening for Gameboy.

Past that? GTA Vice City was the first mega blockbuster of advertising and hype that I can recall. The demand for that game was unreal. I also remember thinking Gears of War was the first time I saw an ad for a video game before a movie at the movie theater.

eznark

Banned
I was off the Tannehill bandwagon after week 3 and he still has a lot to prove but he has been showing a lot more over the past 5 games.

Tannehill has been good against the Bolts, Raiders, Bears and Jaguars defenses. Oh.

He has looked like a world beater at times and I am very anxious to see how he performs Sunday. Not optimistic, but beating a great defense would really quiet my doubts about not just Tannehill but that entire offense.

Cherry pick all you want, Tannehill has not been significantly better than Davis this year.

So who's taking Hardy

Panthers fans made their peace with this when he was put on the exempt list. He's just too expensive for the potential headaches. Even if he beats the case.

It's a shame what's happened to our defense this year without him and Getts had no way of knowing he was a psychopathic wife-beater allegedly when he signed him to that deal. Hindsight being 20/20, I think every fan would have preferred us spending that 13.1 mil this year on a few offensive linemen instead.

bionic77

Ha I got that DKC video too and the Killer Instinct CD also.

I remember loads of commercials for Secret of Mana of all things and for Link's Awakening for Gameboy.

Past that? GTA Vice City was the first mega blockbuster of advertising and hype that I can recall. The demand for that game was unreal. I also remember thinking Gears of War was the first time I saw an ad for a video game before a movie at the movie theater.
Anyone else old enough to remember gave you a copy of fucking Dragon Warrior with a subscription to Nintendo Power?

I think OOT was in theaters too but I am not sure about that.

Did Call of Duty in the 360 era have the biggest marketing budget for any game? Sure seemed that way. Gears first ad was fantastic by the way.

Godslay

Banned
Mallet is going to be wonderful. I can sense it already. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I mean look at all the other apples.

You guys got any money? We can buy a Ferrari for like $400k. It would be all of ours car but we'd keep it at my house.

I think a car bed is a little more your speed.

I just got a job offer for $57/hr as a contract to hire position. It's a raise of about $7 an hour/$13k a year for me. I don't know if I want to take it though. Bleh I hate decisions.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
let a coin decide

I heard of that. You flip the coin, and then when it's midair you realize that you left your kids in the goddamn car again and you know that nosy bitch next door is gonna start some shit and I swear to god if she calls the cops again I'm going to slash her goddamn tires and let's see how she gets to fucking Starbucks to buy her triple foam no fat latte with her EBT card then.

Slo

I just got a job offer for $57/hr as a contract to hire position. It's a raise of about $7 an hour/$13k a year for me. I don't know if I want to take it though. Bleh I hate decisions.

Contractors typically have to provide their own medical insurance, no 401k match etc, not to mention contractors are the first to get the ax when numbers go bad. You're already making $100k, and I assume you have benefits. Sounds like you'd be losing money rather than getting a raise.

Edit: I didn't see the contract to hire part. You need to clarify what the salary would be after the hire. It may be $57/hour while you're a contractor, but only $90k when you get hired.

bionic77

I really like my current job though. But I really like money too.
You make enough money where that is not going to seriously change the way you live.

In general always take more money.

But if the new job is going to make you miserable I wouldn't do it unless you planned on using it as a stepping stone to something else.

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant · 2m2 minutes ago
"I'd be lying if I didn't say I was excited about this," Mallett said. "I'm going to give it everything I've got."

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli · 30s31 seconds ago
"My football IQ is a lot higher than a lot of people think it is. If you think I’m a dumb player, fine. My advantage there" Mallett. #Texans

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans · 32s33 seconds ago
RT @DoughertyDrew: "I'm going to be aggressive and I'm going to stay within the gameplan."-Mallett on how he'll play as starter.

thatsmyQB
ib2Guylea8lknn.gif

I think you'll be needing this.

Greg

I heard of that. You flip the coin, and then when it's midair you realize that you left your kids in the goddamn car again and you know that nosy bitch next door is gonna start some shit and I swear to god if she calls the cops again I'm going to slash her goddamn tires and let's see how she gets to fucking Starbucks to buy her triple foam no fat latte with her EBT card then.
:jnc

Tannehill has been good against the Bolts, Raiders, Bears and Jaguars defenses. Oh.

He has looked like a world beater at times and I am very anxious to see how he performs Sunday. Not optimistic, but beating a great defense would really quiet my doubts about not just Tannehill but that entire offense.

Cherry pick all you want, Tannehill has not been significantly better than Davis this year.
I'm not cherry picking, I'm pointing out the obvious fact that Tannehill has improved in this new offense as the season has progressed. He is also taking significantly fewer sacks than Davis and has the running component to his game which Davis lacks entirely.

I never said Tannehill hasn't had his ups and downs. I was convinced he wasn't the answer after week 3 but wanted to see him play the season out. Since then he has improved drastically.

This week will tell us a lot for sure.

Regardless of any of this, Austin Davis and the Rams are a boring ass team to watch and you know it (other than the insane Seattle game).

eznark

Banned
I'm not cherry picking, I'm pointing out the obvious fact that Tannehill has improved in this new offense as the season has progressed. He is also taking significantly fewer sacks than Davis and has the running component to his game which Davis lacks entirely.

I never said Tannehill hasn't had his ups and downs. I was convinced he wasn't the answer after week 3 but wanted to see him play the season out. Since then he has improved drastically.

This week will tell us a lot for sure.

Regardless of any of this, Austin Davis and the Rams are a boring ass team to watch and you know it.

Just like the Packers offensive resurgence occurred after they got the good defenses out of the way, so has Miami's.

Did you know Austin Davis averages more yards per attempt than Ryan Tannehilll? Ho hum.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Anyone else old enough to remember gave you a copy of fucking Dragon Warrior with a subscription to Nintendo Power?

I think OOT was in theaters too but I am not sure about that.

Did Call of Duty in the 360 era have the biggest marketing budget for any game? Sure seemed that way. Gears first ad was fantastic by the way.

That free copy was awesome. I was like 7 or so when they did that. Hell I remember getting the first issue of Nintendo Power in the mail with Super Mario Bros. 2 on the front. I also remember that back then you had to call random mail order places like Chips and Bits if you wanted to be absolutely certain you could get a copy of some obscure game.

OOT could have been in theaters also but for some reason I'm thinking it was another Zelda game that they were advertising. I'm almost positive it was Twilight Princess that they did.

I'd think Call of Duty is probably still only matched by maybe Destiny or Titanfall for marketing. Halo has to be up there somewhere as well when they did the whole Livewire brand Mountain Dew (Halo 3?).

I remember the ToysRus ads had release dates for SNES and N64 games. At least when they would get them in. I still remember paying $100 fucking dollars for WWE WarZone for N64 at Funcoland. It's hilarious to hear people bitch about DLC and $60 games today, when a 64mb game costs $60-$120 depending on how hard it was to find in your area.

You can kinda see the "in store" date at the bottom of the ad.

Yeah I remember that the systems kind of had release dates. I'm not so sure about the games since it seemed like games were sold whenever stores got them. Wasn't "street date" a foreign concept until Microsoft started that practice with Midtown Madness 3 of all things?

bionic77

Why does Skip Bayless hate Andrew Luck so much?
He is only a fan of pretty boys from Texas.

I don't give a fuck what eznark or the rest of you say. Luck is the best in da game today. And I say that as a Steelers fan even with the crazy numbers Ben has put up in the last 3 weeks.

Just like the Packers offensive resurgence occurred after they got the good defenses out of the way, so has Miami's.

Did you know Austin Davis averages more yards per attempt than Ryan Tannehilll? Ho hum.
No one thought the Dolphins offense would be good against anyone, you included. Did you expect Tannehill to tear the Chargers (10th in passing yards allowed) a new one? But yes, their biggest weakness is a team with a good d-line. Hopefully having Pouncey back will help with that, and hopefully Dallas Thomas will build off of his great performance against Corey Liuget.

I already covered the yds/a comment that I knew you'd trot out. Did you know Kirk Cousins averages more yards per attempt than Aaron Rodgers? Now that's what I call cherry picking.

eznark

Banned
No one thought the Dolphins offense would be good against anyone, you included. Did you expect Tannehill to tear the Chargers (10th in passing yards allowed) a new one? But yes, their biggest weakness is a team with a good d-line. Hopefully having Pouncey back will help with that, and hopefully Dallas Thomas will build off of his great performance against Corey Liuget.

I already covered the yds/a comment that I knew you'd trot out. Did you know Kirk Cousins averages more yards per attempt than Aaron Rodgers? Now that's what I call cherry picking.

Watching cousins is exciting as fuck

You make enough money where that is not going to seriously change the way you live.

In general always take more money.

But if the new job is going to make you miserable I wouldn't do it unless you planned on using it as a stepping stone to something else.

It's with Comcast. The team seems cool and laid back though, so it's hard to say. Either way I already told the recruiter I need to see the receipts so I got time to decide.

Top Bottom