• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
What free things do you speak of?

My wife (lol I don't raise our kids give me a break) generally rewards them with activities. We've never done financial incentives (three years olds don't give a fuck about cash!) or toys. They can earn screen time, zoo time, park time, horse time, golf cart time, blah blah blah basically the stuff we have handy but that we don't let them do at will. We use a sticker system, works great.

But yeah it required and continues to require thought and consistency. We've been doing it this way basically since they could talk so it's been understood. It's definitely not for the lazy parent who just wants to bloody their kid.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Makes me happy seeing the colts getting screwed by the refs. They used to get so many calls when they had Manning.

So are you saying a child should never get a whopping if he's acting up? Not even a with a belt?

Not if your goal is to actually, you know, improve their behavior, confidence, and decision-making abilities.

If your goal is to make them fear you or fear getting hit while learning absolutely jack shit about making correct decisions or behaving appropriately, then go right ahead. Mission accomplished.

I must've missed when freedom of speech became a negative.

Allow me to simplify my comparison for you: Peterson may be legally free to spank his kids, but he isn't free from the societal repercussions of doing so.

I understand not wanting to physically punish YOUR kids. But to try and push certain ideals onto the rest of the population is absurd. Yes Peterson crossed the line from discipline to abuse. But every parent in this country has a right to raise THEIR kids as they please as long as they don't cross that line.

Until physical discipline is against the law it should be treated as a choice each parent makes, like not believing in vaccines or home schooling. And to judge parents who make that choice because you raised your kids differently is dumb. You're no better than the people saying "I got beat as a kid and look how I turned out".

Congrats on the worst post ever. The capitalization of "THEIR" is all we needed to see. You're the kind of guy that thinks children are their parents' property to do with what they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom