• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really looks like Greg Hardy won't last the season. The Panthers want to give the legal process a chance to play out, but I don't believe the mounting public pressure will let them. They won't cut him or even suspend him, but they will bench him pending the results of the trial probably after Frank Alexander comes back from his substance abuse suspension in Week 5. And he definitely will not be playing on the team next year.

And its not like we lose him and our pass rush falls off a cliff, we have horses in that defensive end stable. Hardy's very good at what he does, but he, just like Peppers before him, is replaceable.

xnipx

It really looks like Greg Hardy won't last the season. The Panthers want to give the legal process a chance to play out, but I don't believe the mounting public pressure will let them. They won't cut him or even suspend him, but they will bench him pending the results of the trial probably after Frank Alexander comes back from his substance abuse suspension in Week 5. And he definitely will not be playing on the team next year.

And its not like we lose him and our pass rush falls off a cliff, we have horses in that defensive end stable. Hardy's very good at what he does, but he, just like Peppers before him, is replaceable.

Yea benching him would really show a tough stance on DV. Id be pissed if I was him and got suspended when all Suggs had to do was give up his guns.

cdyhybrid

5ALlj61.png

Yea benching him would really show a tough stance on DV. Id be pissed if I was him and got suspended when all Suggs had to do was give up his guns.

The problem with suspending him is what if he turns out to be innocent in the appellate trial.

That's the whole thing that separates Hardy's situation from Rice's. Rice for all intents and purposes pled down to a lesser charge to avoid a trial and jail time, but still pled guilty to a crime. Hardy's still in the middle of an ongoing legal process and hasn't been tried by a jury of his peers yet. If you suspend him now and he's found not guilty, you (meaning the Panthers and the NFL) are opening yourself up to litigation.

NC Law Education Time:

Most misdemeanors are tried in bench trials. If the defendent is aquitted, it ends there. If the defendent is found guilty, he/she has the right (and is granted most times) to a trial by jury, which basically is treated as a new trial. This is done so taxpayer money and court time is not wasted on finding/compiling jurors to hear common misdemeanor cases.

The problem with suspending him is what if he turns out to be innocent in the appellate trial.

That's the whole thing that separates Hardy's situation from Rice's. Rice for all intents and purposes pled down to a lesser charge to avoid a trial and jail time, but still pled guilty to a crime. Hardy's still in the middle of an ongoing legal process and hasn't been tried by a jury of his peers yet. If you suspend him now and he's found not guilty, you (meaning the Panthers and the NFL) are opening yourself up to litigation.

Have they said they were gonna bench him?

I dunno, I don't see any heat on Hardy or McDonald. Rice, then Goodell, are taking the fire. Unless something catastrophic happens I think the Panthers will just let him play until his case is completed then go from there.

Bowser

I dunno, I don't see any heat on Hardy or McDonald. Rice, then Goodell, are taking the fire. Unless something catastrophic happens I think the Panthers will just let him play until his case is completed then go from there.

There's been a lot of heat on the Panthers locally (Charlotte Observer editorial board said Panthers should suspend Hardy: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...hers-shouldnt-repeat-ravens.html#.VBHu0HJdXTp

Also, some heat on Twitter from people with big followings like Michelle Beadle

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, I think the more focus there is on Goodell and the NFL's mishandling of the Rice situation, the less of a chance Hardy get's cut before the end of the season. Richardson defended the Panther's handling of Hardy during some fundraiser last night and he was back in practice today.

The thing about the Hardy case is it's not just a lack of video, there is a lack of any hard evidence whatsoever. You've got a phone call to 911 made by Hardy accusing Holder of losing her shit, the police finding some guns at his place, and then a bunch of conflicting witness testimony. At it's heart, its your classic he said/she said case, and even if he actually beat the shit out of her, a good lawyer will easily be able to show reasonable doubt to a jury. Then what are the NFL/Panthers supposed to do?

There's been a lot of heat on the Panthers locally (Charlotte Observer editorial board said Panthers should suspend Hardy: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...hers-shouldnt-repeat-ravens.html#.VBHu0HJdXTp

Also, some heat on Twitter from people with big followings like Michelle Beadle

Heat from Beat writers? Come on, seriously? The next time a beat writer influences who plays on Sunday will be the first time.

Great Breakdown of New Orleans Nonsensical Defense vs Atlanta

lol at having Kenny Vaccaro cover RBs in the flat while having Rafael Bush and Roman Humbar cover Roddy White and Devin Hester.

I read from TMQ a while back that Rob Ryan is more interested in being considered a brilliant tactician than a competent coordinator, and he proves it weekly. There's a reason he never sticks somewhere long.

xnipx

Yep. They're both gonna be made examples out of for the way this whole thing unfolded. If this happened in the hotel room and not the elevator and he just simply got arrested. None of this would be happening which shows just how much this nation and the nfl cares about domestic violence that doesn't happen on camera.

What about the Suggs jersey? ....

Or the Brandon Marshall jerseys....

Or the Warren Moon jerseys....

Or the Kevin Williams jerseys....

Or the Greg Hardy jerseys....

Or the Santonio Holmes jerseys....

Or the Randy Starks jersys....

Or the AJ Jefferson, Dez Bryant, Eric Walden, Chris Cook, Tony McDaniel.....

Do you think this is just a Baltimore thing? Because Jim Brown's past would like a word with you.

Bowser

Heat from Beat writers? Come on, seriously? The next time a beat writer influences who plays on Sunday will be the first time.

I read from TMQ a while back that Rob Ryan is more interested in being considered a brilliant tactician than a competent coordinator, and he proves it weekly. There's a reason he never sticks somewhere long.

Well the local heat is clearly affecting Jerry Richardson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gp56K8uTE4

Bowser

Conversely, a great read on why the Panthers defense is still up to the task with a secondary paid with pennies: http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/575777

When Dave Gettleman sits down to construct his defense, he keeps roster fundamentals in mind.

Games are won in the trenches, so it's best to invest there. Speed is optimal in the middle of the field. The secondary, regardless of cost, won't carry the defense. It rarely does. That's why it's best to put together a group of versatile defensive backs, who play with strong fundamentals, technique and complementary skills.

He learned this during his 15 years with the New York Giants. Load up on pass rushers and put together a secondary that can rely on the aforementioned traits to shut down passing games.

cajunator

Banned
Great Breakdown of New Orleans Nonsensical Defense vs Atlanta

lol at having Kenny Vaccaro cover RBs in the flat while having Rafael Bush and Roman Humbar cover Roddy White and Devin Hester.

Yeah that defensive scheme made NO sense.
the scheme last year was just fine and Rob had to go changing it drastically. STICK WITH WHAT WORKS.
Guys like Vaccaro and Byrd should not be misused in the defense like they were. It was a complete clusterfuck.

Bowser

The Seahawks D does pretty well with the secondary carrying the load.

I think it works though because nearly every part of their secondary is elite besides their #2 CB who's still solid. I think it's easier to find elite pass rushers than it is to find elite coverage guys.

Found some good ez bait:

In getting Lazor, Philbin picked a rising commodity in the coaching ranks. Multiple NFL people have told me Lazor will be a head coach candidate within three-to-five years assuming his work continues its current trajectory. He is demanding. He is "real," with players as quarterback Ryan Tannehill said Wednesday. And he's got a good scheme that has pulled plays from his multiple experiences and stops both in the NFL and college.

“He’s been great. He wants to be great. He wants to score a lot of points," Tannehill said. "He wants me to play well and that’s what I want. It’s been good to have him push me along and teach me the ins and outs of the offense and expect to play well. That’s what I like."

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN · 18m

JPP on the Lions gaining 417 yds on Giants' D: "We literally gave them about 200-something yards. I’m pretty sure they didn’t earn those."

I despise nothing more than bullshit like this. Especially when its from a player on the Giants. They didn't earn those? Ugh. Shut up.

Bowser

Interesting graphs from 538 about playoff probabilities in general and for 12+ win teams from the previous year:

FiveThirtyEight Sports said:
General
morris-feature-nflweek1-chart-11.png

This one is pretty basic — it’s the percentage of teams with a given record (at any point in the season) that made the playoffs since the league started using a 12-team playoff format in 1990. (The chart only covers teams with 11 wins or fewer wins or losses, because every team that has won more than 11 games has made the playoffs, and vice versa.)

12+ wins (from previous season) teams
morris-feature-nflweek1-3.png

Why is the last chart important? Because if New England hopes to make the playoffs, it better take care of business in Minny this week:

FiveThirtyEight Sports said:
At 0-1, if we knew nothing about the Patriots other than their record last year, we would expect them to make the playoffs only 37 percent of the time (which is still higher than a 25 percent rate for all teams). If they win their next game, they’ll join the 1-1 group that has made the playoffs 57 percent of the time. But if they lose, they’ll join the 0-2 group that has only made the playoffs 20 percent of the time. That means this coming game has 37 percentage point leverage, which is actually higher than it would be for a normal 0-1 team.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...o-go-andrew-luck-and-a-must-win-for-the-pats/

More interesting stuff at the link - looks like this will be a weekly column going forward.

eznark

Banned
Interesting graphs from 538 about playoff probabilities in general and for 12+ win teams from the previous year:

Why is the last chart important? Because if New England hopes to make the playoffs, it better take care of business in Minny this week:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...o-go-andrew-luck-and-a-must-win-for-the-pats/

More interesting stuff at the link - looks like this will be a weekly column going forward.

This is garbage math for maths sake and tells us literally nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom