• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Cam wasn't referring to a goddamn thing other than Ndamukong sounds sort of like "Donkey Kong" if you say it 5 times fast.

So it'd be ok for Tom Brady to make fun of African heritage? Someone should tell the angry mob going after Danny Ferry.

I for one accept this indisputable evidence that Cam Newton is a racist and self-hating black man. He was definitely not making a silly joke about someone's unusual first name, the very notion is ridiculous.

Tamanon

Banned
I for one accept this indisputable evidence that Cam Newton is a racist and self-hating black man. He was definitely not making a silly joke about someone's unusual first name, the very notion is ridiculous.

Cam Newton shall hereafter be referred to as Uncle Ruckus, no relation.

Paul Schwartz @NYPost_Schwartz · 16m

McAdoo on Eli in opener: "If there’s anything that’s encouraging about what happened in the game it was the comfort level in his feet.''

it3fujp8yIe0q.gif

I can see the point you're making in that if a white player said it there would indeed but outrage.

But in what way does that apply to Rice? Isn't he just a woman beating scumbag?

He's a woman beating scumbag that's been blacklisted from the league due to video of the act. Last week when there was no video, he had his team's full support and the issue was close to buried, like many other domestic issues that have come up.

Simply put, without that tape Ray Rice would be getting ready to practice on Monday as opposed to rotting away at home.

He's a woman beating scumbag that's been blacklisted from the league due to video of the act. Last week when there was no video, he had his team's full support and the issue was close to buried, like many other domestic issues that have come up.

The Ravens really should be catching more flak for having a press conference to talk about what a swell guy Ray is even after they knew exactly what happened in the elevator.

Cam wasn't referring to a goddamn thing other than Ndamukong sounds sort of like "Donkey Kong" if you say it 5 times fast.

That's absolutely what he was doing.

But DK's right. It's America in 2014, you can't be a public figure and compare a black man to an ape. Even a lovable video game one. It's just not a good look.

Especially not in a position as visible and as scrutinized as NFL quarterback.

Cam made a dumb joke without fully thinking about the possible implications.

So it'd be ok for Tom Brady to make fun of African heritage? Someone should tell the angry mob going after Danny Ferry.

What does Donkey Kong or gorillas have to do with "African heritage?" I agree some might be upset about the comment if Rodgers said it. Don't care about Cam's comments nor should he apologize. I think people should look up "double standard" and stop misusing it. It doesn't take a genius to understand why a burden of proof exists when someone who isn't a member of a group/minority/etc says something that could be misconstrued negatively, whereas the same burden of proof does not exist for members of that group/minority/etc.

If my black ass honestly refers to an Asian person as having a "chink in their armor" I'm going to be criticized even if my intention was harmless, and understandably so. Whereas an Asian person saying the same thing would not have to worry about it. This debate is about a few yards away from "how come white people can't say the n word!" nonsense IMO.

BTW Terry Foster is a dumbass. I love his show with Mike Valenti on 97.1 but he is a master of fallacies and poor arguments.

The Ravens really should be catching more flak for having a press conference to talk about what a swell guy Ray is even after they knew exactly what happened in the elevator.

Yep.

It's pretty telling that the Rats supported him completely pre video, then couldn't drop him fast enough when video surfaced. What changed?

What does Donkey Kong or gorillas have to do with "African heritage?" I agree some might be upset about the comment if Rodgers said it. Don't care about Cam's comments nor should he apologize. I think people should look up "double standard" and stop misusing it. It doesn't take a genius to understand why a burden of proof exists when someone who isn't a member of a group/minority/etc says something that could be misconstrued negatively, whereas the same burden of proof does not exist for members of that group/minority/etc.

If my black ass honestly refers to an Asian person as having a "chink in their armor" I'm going to be criticized even if my intention was harmless, and understandably so. Whereas an Asian person saying the same thing would not have to worry about it. This debate is about a few yards away from "how come white people can't say the n word!" nonsense IMO.

BTW Terry Foster is a dumbass. I love his show with Mike Valenti on 97.1 but he is a master of fallacies and poor arguments.

Ugh. This is the "Black people can call each other nigger but white people can't" argument and it's just as stupid here.

eznark

Banned

House of Spears

That's absolutely what he was doing.

But DK's right. It's America in 2014, you can't be a public figure and compare a black man to an ape. Even a lovable video game one. It's just not a good look.

Especially not in a position as visible and as scrutinized as NFL quarterback.

Cam made a dumb joke without fully thinking about the possible implications.

Man Donkey Kong must have a good PR department. Dude was out kidnapping princesses when Bowser was just a baby and now he is a lovable character.

Spinluck

Simply put, without that tape Ray Rice would be getting ready to practice on Monday as opposed to rotting away at home.

Alright, I see it now.

...Do you think I'm talking about some hot new mobile game or something?

No. I was just saying I think Gaming Side is worse in some ways. Better to stick to Community threads.

At least OT is funny sometimes, for instance, that urinal thread. You can even get some valuable info... if you're lucky.

Alright, I see it now.

No. I was just saying I think Gaming Side is worse in some ways. Better to stick to Community threads.

At least OT is funny sometimes, for instance, that urinal thread. You can even get some valuable info... if you're lucky.

I like Gaming Side as a news source.

If you can't run on the Giants, I don't think it's looking promising...
Our defensive line played a good game (against the run at least) and is far from shit in that regard. Say what you will about the secondary but the middle of the line and Beason specifically kept things nicely under control.

Ugh. This is the "Black people can call each other nigger but white people can't" argument and it's just as stupid here.

Personally I don't care if white people say nigger, in fact I'm an advocate that they should take the word back. Just do it bros, I dare you.

Here's the problem: ultimately black people get to decide their own views on the word. No one questions why Polish people can call each other "Pollack" but non-Polish people can't use the word. Few question why gay people can say "fag" without being accused of homophobia. Yet I'm supposed to listen to white people tell me who can and can't say the n-word? The idea of it being a term of endearment and being "taken back" is well documented. And going back to the burden of proof, it shouldn't be surprising why white people usually can't say the word without trouble starting.

Do I think every white person who uses the word has a negative intent? Hell no. I've been called nigger with a hard R, I can tell the difference between that and a "wassup my nigga" from the white guy I know in Flint, MI who gets away with it in his housing project because he grew up there alongside black people.

Rihanna pulled from the CBS pregame.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/11/cbs-thursday-night-football-ray-rice-rihanna

The Ray Rice story has had a major impact on tonight’s Thursday Night Football coverage.

CBS Sports officials told SI.com that they changed the format of their Thursday Night Football pregame show (which airs at 7:30 p.m. ET tonight) yesterday afternoon as a result of all the news over the last 72 hours. The network will now open its pregame with a report from CBS This Morning anchor Norah O’Donnell, who interviewed NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday. O’Donnell will be on the set in Baltimore with Thursday Night pregame host James Brown.

CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus said the network has also pulled an opener featuring actor Don Cheadle doing narration over Rihanna's “Run This Town." A comedic segment was also jettisoned. “It’s important to realize we are not overacting to this story but it is as big a story as has faced the NFL,” said McManus. “We thought journalistically and from a tone standpoint, we needed to have the appropriate tone and coverage. A lot of the production elements we wanted in the show are being eliminated because of time or tone.”

The pregame was initially going to open with a football-centric conversation on the Ravens and Steelers with TNF pregame staffers Brown, Bill Cowher, Deion Sanders and members of NFL Network, and what still will make air is an extended interview Brown conducted with Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti. Both CBS and NFL Network officials have previously stressed that they consider NFL Total Access Kickoff, which will air on the NFL Network beginning at 6:00 p.m. ET, as the start of one pregame show over two networks. (You’ll see talent on both networks floating between the two shows.) The NFL Network is expected to lead its pregame show at 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m with the Rice story.

Asked how much pressure he felt from the league on the handling of the NFL Commissioner, McManus said, “Zero."

McManus said the CBS pregame show will include a report from NFL headquarters featuring NFL Network reporter Judy Battista on the latest news. He added his on-air staff would not be giving an opinion on whether Goodell should or should not resign, “but we will certainly present all the different points of view.”

When asked if anyone from the NFL had called CBS Sports executives to dictate what should be on the pregame show, McManus said, “Absolutely 100 percent no and if you listened to the questions asked by Norah O’Donnell, that is indicative of our position with respect to asking the hard questions and reporting the story.”

Bowser

The network will now open its pregame with a report from CBS This Morning anchor Norah O’Donnell, who interviewed NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday. O’Donnell will be on the set in Baltimore with Thursday Night pregame host James Brown.

Ugh seriously

Did you not read Steve Bisciotti's statement on it? I thought he explained it really well.

From what I read he doesn't say anything particularly different. He says they didn't see the tape yet threw their support behind him entirely, then bailed on him when they saw the tape. Immediately. Not after a couple of days. So that "total support" stuff was a crock of shit then.

Personally I would have preferred if they said "we saw the tape and agree that it was heinous, but we'll stick to our guns and support our guy, who is a pillar of the community and kisses puppies 3 days a week regardless". Instead they dropped him like a bad habit. Perception. "We can't be associated with this greasefire, fuck Ray Rice."

Whats everyone's Survival pick for this week?

Its a tough week, here are spreads:

PIT @ BAL (-3)
MIA @ BUF (E)
JAX @ WAS (-6)
DAL @ TEN (-3)
AZ (-3) @ NYG
NE (-3) @ MIN
NO (-7) @ CLE
ATL (-5) @ CIN
DET (-3) @ CAR
STL @ TB (-6)
SEA (-6) @ SD
HOU (-3) @ OAK
NYJ @ GB (-8)
KC @ DEN (-13)
CHI @ SF (-7)
PHI @ IND (-3)

I'm thinking of going Saints

cajunator

Banned

my asian ass just laughed so hard at this

Bowser

Whats everyone's Survival pick for this week?

Its a tough week, here are spreads:

PIT @ BAL (-3)
MIA @ BUF (E)
JAX @ WAS (-6)
DAL @ TEN (-3)
AZ (-3) @ NYG
NE (-3) @ MIN
NO (-7) @ CLE
ATL (-5) @ CIN
DET (-3) @ CAR
STL @ TB (-6)
SEA (-6) @ SD
HOU (-3) @ OAK
NYJ @ GB (-8)
KC @ DEN (-13)
CHI @ SF (-7)
PHI @ IND (-3)

I'm thinking of going Saints

I would take Tampa (not going to face an easier opponent the rest of the season), Denver (KC is cooked) or Indy (Luck is 10-0 off a loss in his career)

Didn't some NBA broadcaster get in trouble for that exact thing? It is a very common phrase so I thought it was a big overreaction.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregory...rmor-line-twice-did-linsanity-just-go-racist/

Personally I don't care if white people say nigger, in fact I'm an advocate that they should take the word back. Just do it bros, I dare you.

Here's the problem: ultimately black people get to decide their own views on the word. No one questions why Polish people can call each other "Pollack" but non-Polish people can't use the word. Few question why gay people can say "fag" without being accused of homophobia. Yet I'm supposed to listen to white people tell me who can and can't say the n-word? The idea of it being a term of endearment and being "taken back" is well documented. And going back to the burden of proof, it shouldn't be surprising why white people usually can't say the word without trouble starting.

Do I think every white person who uses the word has a negative intent? Hell no. I've been called nigger with a hard R, I can tell the difference between that and a "wassup my nigga" from the white guy I know in Flint, MI who gets away with it in his housing project because he grew up there alongside black people.

That's all well and good. Cam Newton is a public figure. Him even getting himself in a situation like this where people could possibly even perceive it as racial is the problem, not who can use what where and in what situation.

cajunator

Banned
Didn't some NBA broadcaster get in trouble for that exact thing? It is a very common phrase so I thought it was a big overreaction.

Most of this shit is overreacting, especially if it wasnt intended that way. But I got banned once for making light of something racist so I just wont say anything further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom