• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

I just ordered a new iPhone. This is how Lunchbox must feel when his dad buys him something new.
I am going to order mine next week after playing around with them.

Can't see myself getting the plus. Just too big.

Also fuck the Steelers. I just want to see if Tomlin and the other coaches can coach up these young players on defense. If they can't then I am going to start making noise for them to go. These kids are athletic. They just don't know how to play. Let's see if our coaches can change that.

andthebeatgoeson

http://www.fanatics.com/NFL_Ugly_Sweaters

thumb.aspx

You're being silly.
Omg, looks like candy corn.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think it may be time for Kevin Colbert to be fired. Signing Cam Thomas, Mike Mitchell and Marcus Gilbert, who are the worst three starters on the team right now is not a good look. Add in Lance Moore, who's yet to see a snap. The Steelers have been throwing money away.

jakncoke

Banned
I think it may be time for Kevin Colbert to be fired. Signing Cam Thomas, Mike Mitchell and Marcus Gilbert, who are the worst three starters on the team right now is not a good look. Add in Lance Moore, who's yet to see a snap. The Steelers have been throwing money away.

Ive been on this bandwagon for like 3 years

Draxal

You can have Jerry Reese.

Crisco

Banned
Ugh, every day i change my feeling on this, but regardless of whether the NFL does anything, Panthers should deactivate Hardy for the rest of the season. They'd still have to pay him but it's just not worth the distraction of having him dress for games.

Man that game was brutal to watch last night. After the terrible roughness call on the Steelers DB in the endzone I turned it off and played Warframe instead.

Bowser

How the Cam Newton Narrative Sausage is Made

Full transcript of the presser included above, but the takeaway:

The transcript above shows Newton was asked 27 questions. On five occasions he provided an answer that included, “My main focus is on the Detroit Lions … I think I’ve got my hands full with trying to find ways to stay protected from ‘Donkey Kong’ Suh and my fellow Auburn teammate Nick Fairley.”

That leaves 22 other answers that weren’t edited into this video.

An ESPN producer pieced Newton’s similar responses together, an editing trick that usually produces entertaining results. The problem in this case was ESPN’s lack of transparency. They left out the fact those weren’t Newton’s only answers. But the video was out there, and the narrative began taking shape.

From New York to Washington, D.C., from Deadspin to a local TV station that was actually there, outlets shared the video of the “only” answers Newton gave.

Comparisons were made to Texans running back Arian Foster, who in July, used the same response to answer 11 questions. Not 33 questions with 11 similar answers, but 11-for-11. Yet Newton and Foster became one in the same because of a video that was edited without any further context.

DETROIT REACTS

Newton hands out nicknames often. In fact, it’s hard to think of anyone on the Panthers he hasn’t nicknamed. Many aren’t great, and some are so random they don’t make sense, but it’s his thing.

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh has an interesting first name. A simple web search reveals people calling him ‘Donkey Kong’ since he starred at Nebraska. But in Detroit, the video of Newton continuously saying ‘Donkey Kong Suh’ was like manna from the heavens.

Reporters labeled it bulletin board material inside the Lions locker room Thursday. It didn’t appear the actual players were all that upset, but that’s a detail similar to the one left out of the edited video.

Then when Lions head coach Jim Caldwell made a radio appearance, the hosts tried to play him the audio, but Caldwell didn’t want to hear it. That must mean he’s infuriated, right? Or perhaps he didn’t care.

Either way, no one delivered a HOT TAKE like Terry Foster of The Detroit News. He believes Newton owes Suh an apology, and wonders what would have happened if a white player had said the same thing.

Foster also wrote, “It was Newton’s failed attempt to mock Houston Texans running back Arian Foster, who responded to every question with the same answer a few weeks ago.”

It’s unclear how Terry Foster knew Newton was attempting to mock what Arian Foster did, but as we’ve seen, details don’t seem essential here.

Actually, in a Twitter reply, Terry Foster may have revealed what may be most essential in this story:

Screen-Shot-2014-09-11-at-9.17.03-PM.jpg

See, Cam: some things really are that easy.

harSon

Banned

Also fuck the Steelers. I just want to see if Tomlin and the other coaches can coach up these young players on defense. If they can't then I am going to start making noise for them to go. These kids are athletic. They just don't know how to play. Let's see if our coaches can change that.

I don't think there's any coaching up that defensive line. It was already a liability, and we simply lost too much in the off season. And without a stout defensive line that can defend against the run and open lanes for blitzes, then Lebeau's defensive schemes will never work.

Fox318

Is Tomlin actually a good coach does he just get that because he is loyal to vets and is a good speaker?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Is Tomlin actually a good coach does he just get that because he is loyal to vets and is a good speaker?

Since Chuck Noll, the Steelers have never used their hc as a coordinator. Being hc in Pittsburgh is more about instilling attitude and ethic than game management or x's and o's. It's worked for 40+ years and it's not about to change.

gutshot

More analysis of the Dolphins Chip Kelly inspired-offense. Unbalanced lines, packaged plays, inside zone, tempo. Sounds like the Dolphins are going to be Eagles South.

Despite trailing 20-10 at halftime, Miami stuck with a rushing attack that piled up 191 yards on the ground on 38 attempts (5.0 yards per carry). In 2013, the Dolphins averaged 21.8 rushing attempts per game (29th in the NFL) and 90 rushing yards (26th).

In Week 1, the ground game sparked a run of 23 unanswered points after halftime as the Dolphins scored on five of seven possessions. Moreno finished with 134 yards, the third-highest total of his career. And a large chunk of those came on the same play being run over and over.

"We knew going into the game that we wanted to run a lot of inside zone," Philbin told reporters afterwards.

Added Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork: "Everything they did we knew. They didn't trick us. We thought we had a good game-plan for it and obviously we didn't."

The inside zone is a run play that serves as the foundation of the Eagles' offense. And if the first game is any indication, the same will be said about the Dolphins' offense this season.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...se-has-undeniable-chip-kelly-feel?dsadfdsafds

If Moreno can stay healthy this season, he will top 1,000 yards easy. Get him on your fantasy teams, if you can.

Fox318

Since Chuck Noll, the Steelers have never used their hc as a coordinator. Being hc in Pittsburgh is more about instilling attitude and ethic than game management or x's and o's. It's worked for 40+ years and it's not about to change.

So he is just a figure head to preach football stereotypes?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So he is just a figure head to preach football stereotypes?

Yep. Tomlin won't be losing his job until it appears he has lost the team. It can be argued that the team tuned out Cowher in 2006, his last year. That was the only time I can recall a Steelers team looking like they just didn't give a shit.

eznark

Banned
Local hack was offended at Rodgers' unclutchness and decided to write a piece about it this week. The thing is though, the light research he did didn't back up the presumption.

He wrote the piece anyway. No one really cared because no one reads the one paper in Milwaukee because it has shown itself to be utter shit but...my friend cared. He cared deeply. And he eviscerated the idiot.

http://pocketdoppler.com/2014/09/11/aaron-needs-his-swagger-back-you-guys/

You don't need to read it, here is really the key takeaway:

In those 13 contests, Rodgers and the Packers are 5-8.

Hey, against playoff teams and elite defenses? That’s pretty good! And this is the single biggest sin committed here. Rob never bothers to ask the question “compared to what?” You may be shocked to learn that offenses play worse against good defenses than they do against bad defenses.* Or you may not be shocked, because you’re not a moron.

*”Water struggling against hill.” – Rob Reischel, probably.

Rodgers hasn’t been bad in these games. He just hasn’t been special like he was in 2010.

In week 8 of 2010 the Packers beat the Jets 9-0. Rodgers was 15/34 (44%) for 170 yards, 0 TDs, 0 picks. Special!

Wait, is that offensive?

In those 13 games, Rodgers has a passer rating of 96.4. He’s completed 64.8% of his passes, averaged 259.4 passing yards per game, and has 26 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

We have now reached the part of the “analysis” that should have caused Rob to burn everything he’d written to this point. Look, I end up deleting like two thirds of what I write simply because once I do the research my theory is blown to smithereens. Aaron’s numbers in those 13 games that he just listed, are AWESOME. Against only elite defenses or playoff teams he’s throwing for over 250 yards, a 96 rating, and better than a 3/1 TD/INT ratio ON AVERAGE? That’s amazing! Rodgers is so clutch…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom