• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

bionic77

I also think the Steelers should be 4-1. But even if they were 5-0, I'd admit that they suck.
Yeah we definitely suck.

I am very worried about the next game with the Browns. I think they might be better than us.

https://vine.co/v/OK5TtYVmZ7b - That's some solid reporting Dilfer.
Thats actually above average reporting for ESPN.

Is it that hard to comment and analyze sports? ESPN always has the worst people.

holylloyd.0.0.0_standard_400.0.gif

The amount of athleticism required to do that is insane.

Running at the speed they do and then having the strength and coordination to jump that high and still control your body as you fight for the ball?

Bowser

No-huddle is becoming a real weapon for the Panthers offense now. They looked exceptional in it on the last drive of the first half and first drive of the second half yesterday, both crucial needed touchdowns.

Nice change of pace, considering we were the slowest offense (in terms of real time used between plays) in the league in 2013.

Also speaks to Cam's growth as a QB that Shula and Ron now trust him to read defenses and make adjustments on the fly, instead of relying on called plays.

This isn't something new. Cam has looked better in the no huddle for nearly 2 seasons now. He seems to be much better when he can catch the defense on its heels and rely on his instincts with quick passes rather than waiting for Shula's slow developing routes on called plays.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, Cam's problems center around mechanics and accuracy, he's always been able to read defenses. On his very first completion to Smitty against Arizona in 2011 he changed the play at the line after recognizing a blitz. Sure, he's gotten better and faster at it, but he's always done it.

Milchjon

I went back to watch some Brandon Lloyd highlights. So much fun to watch, but goddamn, how can you go down that quickly every single time.

eznark

Banned
hahaha, just listened to Hoyer's press conference: "it's nice that we always win, but we want to win the next one by two touchdowns"

Browns always win! Hoyer is willing the culture change! Factory of Falsehoods.

Yeah we definitely suck.

I am very worried about the next game with the Browns. I think they might be better than us.

Thats actually above average reporting for ESPN.

Is it that hard to comment and analyze sports? ESPN always has the worst people.

holylloyd.0.0.0_standard_400.0.gif

The amount of athleticism required to do that is insane.

Running at the speed they do and then having the strength and coordination to jump that high and still control your body as you fight for the ball?

We definitely suck. The Browns will beat us this week unless they're emotionally spent from their comeback yesterday. The Tomlin Cycle is in full effect.

Lloyd did all that while wearing pink shoes. Helluva catch.

bionic77

hahaha, just listened to Hoyer's press conference: "it's nice that we always win, but we want to win the next one by two touchdowns"

Browns always win! Hoyer is willing the culture change! Factory of Falsehoods.
Its not a lie if you believe it.

Browns could easily embarrass us next week so I for one respect this new Browns team!

We definitely suck. The Browns will beat us this week unless they're emotionally spent from their comeback yesterday. The Tomlin Cycle is in full effect.

Lloyd did all that while wearing pink shoes. Helluva catch.

As a Browns fan, I'm pretty sure we'll beat the Steelers next week, which naturally means we'll lose.

That said, I'm glad that for once we get to play both of our Steelers games early in the season, since we typically don't play Pittsburgh until long after our annual Week 5/6 collapse.

eznark

Banned
NFL. Week 6|OT| A League of Frauds

Week 5 restored order. Packers and Patriots are dominant. Bears and Lions are laughably awful. Locker got hurt. Alex Smith shit the bed. the Bungles Bungled. Everything about the Jets is the worst thing about the Jets.

They Are Who We Thought They Were.

I was busy all day yesterday after the early games but what a shitty day of football. Eagles looked terrible, D cant play more then 1 good half in any game, the O is completely broken. The Eagles had one drive all game from their own side of the field that resulted in a TD, and that is against the 30th ranked scoring defense. Foles was just terrible again, not sure what they can do to fix him but it is painful to watch him play like this.

That Lions game was amazing though. Glad to see the roar has been restored to the same level as ever other Lions season in history.

Brandon Lloyd was a high jumper not just a straight up leaper like a basketball player.

That's where he worked on his crazy body control.

He's made a couple of the top 10 catches I've ever seen.

eznark

Banned
I was busy all day yesterday after the early games but what a shitty day of football. Eagles looked terrible, D cant play more then 1 good half in any game, the O is completely broken. The Eagles had one drive all game from their own side of the field that resulted in a TD, and that is against the 30th ranked scoring defense. Foles was just terrible again, not sure what they can do to fix him but it is painful to watch him play like this.

That Lions game was amazing though. Glad to see the roar has been restored to the same level as ever other Lions season in history.

Someone tweeted out that in the last 20 Eagles posessions, 7 have been turnovers while only 2 have been touchdowns. I didn't verify it but that's kind of mind boggling, especially given the competition.

Someone tweeted out that in the last 20 Eagles posessions, 7 have been turnovers while only 2 have been touchdowns. I didn't verify it but that's kind of mind boggling, especially given the competition.

One of those TDs came when the Rams turned the ball over at their own 20 yard line.

Didn't get to post during the Giants game but a fun game second half aside Jennings' knee and another ST gaffe.

Also love how Beckham's dance is synced to the "Flag."

beckflag.0.gif

bionic77

As a Browns fan, I'm pretty sure we'll beat the Steelers next week, which naturally means we'll lose.

That said, I'm glad that for once we get to play both of our Steelers games early in the season, since we typically don't play Pittsburgh until long after our annual Week 5/6 collapse.
When is the last time there was serious doubt about the outcome of a Steelers Browns game? Probably not since 1999 (at first there was a lot of hope) or 1996.

Also the Browns are one of the most exciting teams in the NFL right now. All of their games seem to come right down to the wire and they have had the 2 best comebacks of the year so far.

Zeke

So Romo calling out the fan base in Dallas, good shit. The home crowd is so worthless even at Texas stadium the crowd sucked. It really is embrassing. I've seen some pics of crowd and it's just red everywhere in there.

Holy shit @ the Browns' next four games.

Pittsburgh (3-2)
@ Jacksonville (0-5)
Oakland (0-4)
Tampa Bay (1-4)

Talk about a gift. If we somehow piss away October then we really are the fucking worst.

BigAT

So Romo calling out the fan base in Dallas, good shit. The home crowd is so worthless even at Texas stadium the crowd sucked. It really is embrassing. I've seen some pics of crowd and it's just red everywhere in there.

They said that the Cowboys actually had to use a silent count on offense because the crowd was so loud. How embarrassing.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
to be fair, these guys talk alot and when you've got football players who may not be the smartest people around anyway, eventually they're going to say something asininely stupid. I mean we have people here saying stupid shit and we have the opportunity to stop research, consider the thoughts and then post.

Well at least Jerry Jones is sad because Cowboy fans don't even want to go their own Stadium.

yea this was awesome. It sounded like a game at NRG. Romo was upset that actually had to go to a silent count.

Cowboys got pretty lucky to get that win. I mean Dez somehow holds onto the ball with Joseph all in his face, with his hand and arm between the ball and Dez's body. Never mind that romo went all romo and literally just heaved that up.

Didn't get to post during the Giants game but a fun game second half aside Jennings' knee and another ST gaffe.

Also love how Beckham's dance is synced to the "Flag."

beckflag.0.gif
Ha I hadn't noticed that. Good stuff.

Joe and Evan going in hard on Idzik right now. Knew this would be an epic episode.:)

This is the biggest load of horse crap you have said and that's saying something. No wins are given, they are earned. Mother fuck that if any of the 32 teams in the NFL are playing together and on cue NONE of them should lose.

If the Jags are playing together and on cue then they should fucking win!
If the Raiders are playing together and on cue guess what? They should be winning too!

But you want to know what? The Jags, and Raiders aren't playing together and on cue therefor they are not winning. That's the point!!!!!

Using the any given Sunday excuse is also a load of crap (less crap than what you just said, but w/e). If you want to use that argument the Jags can say well any given Sunday any team can win therefor we are 0-5, because any given Sunday happened 5 times against us.

At least 25 of the 32 teams in the NFL have a shit ton of talent. The point is can they work together and use their talents as one cohesive unit. Your team is 3-2 because for 3 of those weeks they did, and for 2 of those weeks they did not. That my friend is either consistency, or inconsistency.

The good teams are consistent at playing together and on cue as you would put it. The okay teams are inconsistent at playing together and on cue, and the bad teams are consistent at not playing together.

While you're right about majority of this post.Nothing can save those two team.

Zeke

They said that the Cowboys actually had to use a silent count on offense because the crowd was so loud. How embarrassing.
Yea read that too and it's really fucking sad. That should never happen when you're the home team. Just shameful all around.

I find it funny how kas always talks trash about the garbage AFC and then his Lions lose to a Bills team led by Kyle freaking Orton. The whole league is garbage, not just the AFC!

When is the last time there was serious doubt about the outcome of a Steelers Browns game? Probably not since 1999 (at first there was a lot of hope) or 1996.

Also the Browns are one of the most exciting teams in the NFL right now. All of their games seem to come right down to the wire and they have had the 2 best comebacks of the year so far.

On the rare occasion that we beat the Steelers, it's usually completely out of left field, like when you guys coughed up eight turnovers a couple of years ago and we still barely beat you.

When we're actually expected to compete with - or potentially even beat - the Steelers, we pretty much always choke.

Feel a little better about that game at Cincy after seeing that game last night. They are a team that struggles when they can't out-physical you on both sides of the ball, especially when they are missing Burfict on D.

Still think we get our shit pushed in, but if the 2013 Panthers manage to somehow show up, we might have a chance.

bionic77

I don't even have to look at the Steelers schedule to know they'll be 4-4.
Not true. We could be 6-2 or 2-6.

The only thing we know is that we will end up at 8-8!

On the rare occasion that we beat the Steelers, it's usually completely out of left field, like when you guys coughed up eight turnovers a couple of years ago and we still barely beat you.

When we're actually expected to compete with - or potentially even beat - the Steelers, we pretty much always choke.
Agreed.

It always took an act of God for the Browns to beat the Steelers since they returned to the NFL. And once Ben became our qb it took an act of God with an assist from Tebow.

This is the first time in a long time that I remember where we might be the underdogs going into the game.

eznark

Banned
hahahaha

Geno Smith skipped team meetings on Saturday. What a piece of shit.

60 yards passing in a blowout loss is possibly the worst performance from the position in decades.

Rex is going to get fired over this and end up winning a Super Bowl in Oakland.

hahahaha

Geno Smith skipped team meetings on Saturday. What a piece of shit.

60 yards passing in a blowout loss is possibly the worst performance from the position in decades.

Rex is going to get fired over this and end up winning a Super Bowl in Oakland.
Geno has always come off as an entitled brat to me.

I'm fucking pissed MRSA. I need time to gather my thoughts but its only Week 5. We should be 4-1 instead of 3-2.

Welcome, my friend, to the reality of this team. They're a 4-12 mess of a team masquerading as a contender. Better you get to this point now than when the Bucs beat them later this year.

Seriously, there's a lot wrong with this team, and much of it is on one side of the ball -- offense. I think I have had enough of the Stafford experiment; he is just not accurate enough to make it in the NFL. A rocket cannon arm only gets you so far in the league. The O- line looks awful, too (I am looking at you, Rob Sims) and our kicking game doesn't exist. When a drunk is our best option, you know we are in trouble.

Lombardi deserves blame, too. Some awful playcalling from time to time, and he also bears some responsibility for the offense's underperforming. There is no acceptable reason that with the players we have, we can't do anything when Megatron is sidelined.

On defense, the injuries are what's hurting us. Tulloch being out sucks but more so the secondary being so thin gives us fewer match-up options.

If it were my call in a vacuum, I would keep Sub and Megatron and dump Stafford at the end of the year, but I know we're stuck with him forever now. It sucks, too, because I think someone else will end up luring away Teryl Austin in the next year or two.

This ran across my twitter:

JPP ended up with five tackles, two quarterback hits, three pressures, a pass defensed, two stops and an incredible +8.1 PFF grades.

It was against an extremely beat up Falcons offensive line so there's the caveat but he's been playing well all year long. He was a big reason why the defense found its footing yesterday.

Top Bottom