• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

bionic77

The only one that changed was Bucket, who went from loveable and affable to Godless hipster.

And TheLegendary, he died in the Great Console Wars of 2012 though. RIP soldier
You were pretty horrible during that time period. Outside of Pats fans (who are by definition always the worst) you were maybe the cuntiest poster here during that run from the SB until the Packers lost in the playoffs the next year.

You are much more likable when the Packers suck.

Considering trading in my Vita. Gamestop is offering $110 for it plus an extra $50 above that for Rewards members.

I've barely touched the thing in months I must admit. Though its an OLED screen version and I almost don't want to because of that...

Decisions, decisions....

It's pretty much my portable PS1 at this point.

And I barely use it now.

Considering trading in my Vita. Gamestop is offering $110 for it plus an extra $50 above that for Rewards members.

I've barely touched the thing in months I must admit. Though its an OLED screen version and I almost don't want to because of that...

Decisions, decisions....

I liked mine when I owned it but not a lot of its library is appealing to me (and indies I can probably play on PC and PS4) though I liked having it as a portable PS1 device. I really wish it could play digital PS2 titles. As annoying as 3DS not having GBA games.

Greg

Decisions, decisions....
save it because remote play PS4 Hot Shots

manfestival

its nice to hear hope and positive talk after a loss. It really seems like glennon has improved the entire outlook of the bucs tenfold. everyone is cautiously optimistic instead of piss poor pessimism

eznark

Banned
Falcons open as 3 point favorites? Hm. Packers -3 on the road, seems low.

This post was really just an excuse to say that THE BROWNS ARE FAVORITES AGAINST THE STEELERS

Tamanon

Banned
its nice to hear hope and positive talk after a loss. It really seems like glennon has improved the entire outlook of the bucs tenfold. everyone is cautiously optimistic instead of piss poor pessimism

QB changes are great for short term morale. It's why Jags fans aren't completely down in the dumps, even when Bortles isn't lighting it up. Or we might just be used to losing now too......:/

I only use mine for remote play, and as far as I can tell it's totally dead in terms of actual Vitsa game support. If you don't use remote play I don't see why you'd hold onto it.
Pretty much my thinking. I don't do much remote play wise and most of the indies I'll be playing on the PS4/PC and that's all that's really coming down the pike for the Vita.

I liked mine when I owned it but not a lot of its library is appealing to me (and indies I can probably play on PC and PS4) though I liked having it as a portable PS1 device. I really wish it could play digital PS2 titles. As annoying as 3DS not having GBA games.
Yeah. I doubt I'd even do much with it even if it did.

Thanks for the feedback gents. I think its going to get traded this afternoon. Put it towards some games coming in the near future.

I cant stand remote play, I think I will trade in my vita today. I am going to miss it, best handheld ever. Sucks that it never got the support it deserved.

Tom Penny

nfl_i_jagsmasceb_300x300.jpg

This post was really just an excuse to say that THE BROWNS ARE FAVORITES AGAINST THE STEELERS
As they should be.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle higher expectations. I'm sure Tomlin will spin this that we play better as underdogs.

DMczaf

NFLStatz @NFLStatz 10m
Four out of five times the Bucs played this season, the game has ended with the Bucs losing

NFLStatz @NFLStatz 8m
To put that into perspective, the Bucs have won 20% of the games they have played this season.

NFLStatz @NFLStatz 5m
That is the equivalent of winning 1 game for every 5 games they play.

NFLStatz @NFLStatz 10m
Four out of five times the Bucs played this season, the game has ended with the Bucs losing

NFLStatz @NFLStatz 8m
To put that into perspective, the Bucs have won 20% of the games they have played this season.

NFLStatz @NFLStatz 5m
That is the equivalent of winning 1 game for every 5 games they play.

:jnc

LJ11

I think it should be clear now that Stafford is essentially a game manager QB with a cannon arm. He can't run a no huddle offense, locks on WRs, and if you take that first read away he's fucked.

All you need to do is watch that last drive. Tate gets you into position, at that point I thought you guys would pound the rock and eat clock a bit, instead you did exactly what I wanted. The interesting thing is, for once in this fucking season Schwartz and I saw eye to eye. Rush three, Drop 8 with the 8th defender as a robber/spy/rat/whatever you want to call it. I knew Stafford wasn't going to do a thing if we took Read 1 away, then he would drop his eyes and try to move out of the pocket, exactly what you want. Can't stress enough how confident I was that such a simple D would work.

I'm not sure how Tate burned us repeatedly, mostly YAC on the slot CB. At some point Schwartz should realize he has Graham on the team, it'd be nice to put a big bodied DB on a smaller WR.

Going into this week some Bills fans were worried about covering the TE, they were relatively ineffective at covering TEs. We thought the gameplan would be to attack our LBs in coverage, which the Pats will do all game next week. Didn't happen.

Edit: Bills and Lions have a lot of similarities.

Decisions, decisions....

OLED Vitas are going to be the most prized and sought after hardware, it's only just now starting to happen.

Syrinx

For me, the worst feeling as a sports fan, particularly football, is when I go into a game thinking "We have no shot" and come out thinking "We should have won that".

But yes, at the very least there are things to be optimistic about. Glennon has made this team competitive again, and the defense did a lot better than I thought they would. I thought Brees would hang well over 40 on our secondary, easily. But if we're going to rebound, we have to start next week against Baltimore. Being 0-3 in the division ain't helping us either.

And by Shelby being a moron. Oh well. I'm curious to see how the D looks against GB. Huge test for the secondary obviously.

Eh Shelby was a back up anyways, but yeah our secondary better play great because even with a pass rush rogers will beat you with his legs. I hope the offense at least looks prepared and doesnt come out flat and lifeless like always

cajunator

Banned
For me, the worst feeling as a sports fan, particularly football, is when I go into a game thinking "We have no shot" and come out thinking "We should have won that".

But yes, at the very least there are things to be optimistic about. Glennon has made this team competitive again, and the defense did a lot better than I thought they would. I thought Brees would hang well over 40 on our secondary, easily. But if we're going to rebound, we have to start next week against Baltimore. Being 0-3 in the division ain't helping us either.

Brees has been off the last couple years but the receivers are dropping balls they would have caught in the past. Its really kind of baffling. Colston used to be money. Graham seems to drop a ton of passes now. The only consistent guy is Pierre Thomas. Brees really needs a big veteran WR right about now as his skills inevitably decline.

bionic77

I cant stand remote play, I think I will trade in my vita today. I am going to miss it, best handheld ever. Sucks that it never got the support it deserved.
The DS laughs at this.

Hell even the 3DS is a much better handheld.

Pay attention.

Steelers fans on the last 2 pages have all been saying that the Browns should be favored!

NFL AM this morning spent a 10 minute segments discussing how Hoyer had silenced all Manziel discussion.
They're pretty far beyond the concept of a quarterback battle. Only the dumbest of the dumb actually want Manziel over Hoyer at this point.

No, now they're discussing unbelievably trivial shit, like Manziel being caught smiling and laughing on the sideline when we were down four TDs on Sunday.

Eh Shelby was a back up anyways, but yeah our secondary better play great because even with a pass rush rogers will beat you with his legs. I hope the offense at least looks prepared and doesnt come out flat and lifeless like always
Well right now the Packers are 32nd in opponent rushing yards per game so Miller better get about 25 carries at least. If the running game sputters out and Lazor abandons it the game is over. Getting Pouncey back should help there, and hopefully Smith will be back as well.

Spinluck

Sports fans are such fucking idiots (myself probably included). Every Pats fan on Twitter blowing their load about how Tom is 100% back, the Super Bowl is already won and how everybody who expressed any doubt in the last couple of games shouldn't be a fan anymore and doesn't deserve to celebrate this win. It's cute how they all act like they never stopped believing, but a day earlier were ready to ship Brady off.

We're 3-2 and haven't achieved shit. Not even in first place in the division. Sure it looked slightly better, but the Bengals also didn't do themselves any favors.

At least Brady doesn't have to retire just yet!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
They're pretty far beyond the concept of a quarterback battle. Only the dumbest of the dumb actually want Manziel over Hoyer at this point.

No, now they're discussing unbelievably trivial shit, like Manziel being caught smiling and laughing on the sideline when we were down four TDs on Sunday.

Johnny Manziel not seen dancing after the game. He's not a team player.

I think the 3DS has already surpassed the DS brah.
Yep. The only advantage DS has left is the awesome Castlevania games. I guess the JRPG's were probably a little better as well. 3DS has much better Nintendo games which is what really matters, though.

Pretty sure yh was just talking about the hardware itself, though. He's right, Vita is the best in that regard.

Some thoughts on Niners-Chiefs game...

-Phil Dawson won us the game. 5 fg's - 2 of them at 50+ yards. He gets top billing

-2 Penalties for 10yds? I'll take it. Thanks refs. I wonder if Anquan Boldin ever got fined for criticizing officials a couple of weeks back.

-Perrish Cox has been such a pleasant surprise. From borderline roster player to solid starter. I can't stress how important his solid play has been in stabilizing the secondary. I feel like Ed Donatell needs to get some props for his work with the DB's. Seems like every year we have one backup DB step up and just make plays (from Rogers-> Brock and now to Perrish Cox). We don't have a top tier secondary but the value we generate from that position has been very solid.

- Defense continues to look solid. Being gashed by Murray and the Cowboys week 1 now doesn't look so bad. Lynch continues to impress. Our future at OLB spots look bright with him and Aldon.

-Gore is the man. Around this time last season was when he started asserting his will on the offense. I'm hoping this time around, he doesn't run out of gas. Hopefully Hyde can keep Gore fresh for the stretch run

-Offensive line looked great running the ball today. I like how they generated push for the most part. On the other hand, pass protection is still absolute garbage. There was a point in the 2nd half where Kap just straight would get sacked/pressured right after he dropped back for consecutive plays spanning multiple possessions. I forget who the Chiefs player was but that one sack where the lineman just straight up clubbed through Boone was one helluva football move.

There was an interesting stat that popped up during the game which has mirrored my thoughts about Colin vs Alex. In looking at their career, with equal number of games (from Harbaugh on), both pretty much have the same exact stats. By eye test, it's something I've noticed as well. Kap makes those wow plays that Alex couldn't even dream of making while small hands strings together more short completions with better accuracy on short throws. For all of Kap's athletic ability, the end offensive results are the same as when Alex as under center : 2TD's/a handful of field goals/lots of busted drives and stalling in the red zone. Given that we have a really deep receiving core this year, a solid 1-2 rushing attack, I wonder if this is as far as we're going to get out of Kap. I mean the only thing left to really change at this point is G-Ro (which I'm all for) but if Harbaugh sticks around, I just don't see him getting dumped. Speaking of G-Ro, I hate how incompatible our pass offense is with our run offense. It's just so weird not being able to see both aspects work together on game day. It's one thing to attack the opposing team's defensive weaknesses but establishing offensive identity is just as important. Lastly, can we get a different playcaller on offense? G-Ro sucks at it so bad. Just lock him in a room with Madden play creator so he can diagram all the bullshit plays that he wants. Naked bootleg with Kap isn't fooling anybody.

Syrinx

Yep. The only advantage DS has left is the awesome Castlevania games. I guess the JRPG's were probably a little better as well. 3DS has much better Nintendo games which is what really matters, though.

Pretty sure yh was just talking about the hardware itself, though. He's right, Vita is the best in that regard.

Yeah I'm having fun playing Smash but man the difference in design between the 3DS and Vita is night-and-day. Maybe the XL or the New 3DS is better, but I'm not sure I can justify purchasing either of those.

bionic77

The DS had more good games. It had an epic 3rd party library and a lot of the games were really innovative and different.

You can argue that the 3DS' best is better than the best of the DS, but in terms of overall library it is no contest. The DS had a library that is only surpassed by the PS2 in terms of how many good games it had.

And if you are going by hardware then the best portable is probably your phone from this year. The Vita has been surpassed in terms of power and definitely screen resolution and quality. Obviously phone games suck dick because of no controller but the hardware advantage is undeniable.

In the end the hardware doesn't mean shit if you don't have any games to play on the console.

Gobias

Banned
Hey, remember when the Browns came back and won when they were down 28-3? That was pretty sweet.

haha I knew that was going to be a story somewhere when I saw it.

Top Bottom