• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 7 |OT| Newton's Laws of Football

Lovely play design from Chip Kelly and Co. here to use the Giants' aggressiveness attacking the inside zone against them. And check out that block by Celek on JPP.

WigglyEssentialGoldfinch.gif

Yeah that is a great play. I was surprised Celek was able to so easily handle JPP. He blocked him one on one a bunch of times in that game.

Can we win a few game without Megatron? Yes.
Can we make the playoffs without Megatron? Fuck no
Is our offense better without Megatron? Slap yourself

JABEE

I'm so excited for the Eagles. I'm happy they are getting a bye this week with the injuries that they are going through with Sproles and Kendricks, but it's going to suck not having an Eagles game to watch.

How good do you guys think the Eagles are this season? I was impressed by their dismantling of the Giants, but I'm still worried about Foles turning the ball over. I think Foles is at a point where he is taking too many stupid chances. He's now afraid to take a sack after an off season of fans getting on him for pushing Henery out of perfect field goal range in the Saints playoff game.

With Kelce and Mathis coming back in Week 9 or 10, I think this team is going to get even stronger going down the stretch.

I'm so excited for the Eagles. I'm happy they are getting a bye this week with the injuries that they are going through with Sproles and Kendricks, but it's going to suck not having an Eagles game to watch.

How good do you guys think the Eagles are this season? I was impressed by their dismantling of the Giants, but I'm still worried about Foles turning the ball over. I think Foles is at a point where he is taking too many stupid chances. He's now afraid to take a sack after an off season of fans getting on him for pushing Henery out of perfect field goal range in the Saints playoff game.

With Kelce and Mathis coming back in Week 9 or 10, I think this team is going to get even stronger going down the stretch.

I have no idea how good the Eagles are. Foles has been so inconsistent, and you are so right about him forcing passes into coverage because he is terrified of taking a sack. I know that Chips says a sack can be as bad as a turnover, but it has gone way to far with Foles. The 1st int against the Giants he just fired the ball to the right without looking even though he wasnt being pressured. You can do that against a good team. If the front 7 can keep up the pressure like they have the last 2 games the Eagles can be really good.

Zeke

It will be interesting to see if Dallas can bank enough wins before December comes to get into the playoffs.
Yea these next batch of games are crucial two back to back division games. I'd say good thing they are home games but they might as well be road games with the piss poor home crowd. I hope by the time the last three games roll around they can have a secured playoff spot but I have this nagging feeling that last Philly game will be extremely important. Might be the game that decides the division winner. I wish we got the Colts earlier in the season tho.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Paging Kas to link an article on how Stafford is better without Megatron..

We need a healthy Megatron. I love Megatron and all he's done for our franchise I don't know if Megatron will be at full health throughout the season or even going forward into his career and as such he is not worth $20 Million a year. Trade him, resign Suh and use the free cap money and draft picks on WRs.

Numbers don't lie:

Stafford had a higher passer rating in Week 4 against the Jets (116.4) and Week 5 against the Bills (78.8) than he did against either the Panthers or Packers. He had more yards per attempt, per dropback and per completion in Weeks 4 and 5 than he did in Weeks 2 and 3.

Consider also that Stafford's completion percentage was higher the past two weeks (64.6) than it was during the first three weeks of the season (62.3). Same for his touchdown percentage -- 4.6 the last two weeks to 2.6 the first three weeks. His interception percentage of 1.5 was lower the past two weeks than in his first three weeks (2.6).

Stafford has also cut down his average time before pass the past two weeks -- under 2.35 seconds the past two weeks -- meaning he is making faster decisions. Interestingly, his sack percentage per dropback has skyrocketed the past two weeks, going from single digits in each of the first three weeks to 10.3 percent in Week 4 and 15.4 percent in Week 5.

The easy evaluation is the Lions would be better off with a healthy Calvin Johnson -- and that's true -- but just because Johnson may not be healthy doesn't mean Stafford is not having statistical success on his own.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lio...-been-better-without-a-healthy-calvin-johnson

This article does not include the Vikings game where he had a solid game despite our receivers dropping passes and our offensive line getting Staff sacked and in third and 20 positions all game.

i'm definitely one of the more positive Lions fans but that was just insane

I hope I'm wrong. We can't be paying $20 Million a year for a "decoy" two games and not to play for another 4 weeks. With Megatrons' body frame and size he already has a lot of mileage on him. Use that money on Suh and other free agent receivers.

You keep saying trade Megatron, but who can you trade him to for his cap number and expect to get good value back?

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 2m2 minutes ago
#Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict fined $25K for twisting ankles of Cam Newton, Greg Olson. Will be summoned to league office next infraction

Burfict

JABEE

I posted this yesterday in the middle of a bunch of gifs. This is a great breakdown of what the Eagles did on defense against the Giants. I love how they use animated gifs and a telestrator for film breakdown.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...-Shutout/6e23942b-1130-4a45-b76d-2133f591e304

F5xhRAZ.jpg

AJ8ccJ7.gif

The Eagles were snuffing out the Giant short passing game and pressuring him on almost every down. Davis had a great game plan.

Love this blitz up the A-Gap from Malcolm Jenkins

d6XOOLL.jpg

ynKvE38.gif

Perfectly disguised. Je just loops in and times it perfectly to force an errant throw.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
You keep saying trade Megatron, but who can you trade him to for his cap number and expect to get good value back?

Some team will take him. I'm not expecting much value except a draft pick, the value will come in freeing up cap space.

EDIT: Sentence seems very light on Burfict.

Bowser

Burfict

Meh, wasn't expecting a suspension, but $25k? That's it? That's like wearing the wrong color socks for a game twice. Or wearing Beats headphones to a post game presser for two games.

If I'm Burfict, if all I'm doing is donating $25k to Goodell for the chance at putting out a key contributor for a game, I don't change what I'm doing at all.

MechDX

Bruce Arians is 23-10 since Mike Tomlin claimed he "retired." Tomlin was 60-28 with Arians as his coordinator, 19-19 since Arians "retired." Twitter

Damn.

Fox318

Bruce Arians is 23-10 since Mike Tomlin claimed he "retired." Tomlin was 60-28 with Arians as his coordinator, 19-19 since Arians "retired." Twitter

Damn.
Tomlin isn't a head coach. He is a figurehead motivator to deal with the press and handle vets.

Not like he calls plays or even defines the offense or defense.

Bowser

Which team is going to want to take on that cap hit? $20m in 2015, $24m in 2016.

No one. Megatron and Detroit are tied to each other through at least 2016, after which there's only a $4.8m dead money hit which they can spread out over 2 seasons by designating him a post-June 1 cut.

I posted this yesterday in the middle of a bunch of gifs. This is a great breakdown of what the Eagles did on defense against the Giants. I love how they use animated gifs and a telestrator for film breakdown.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...-Shutout/6e23942b-1130-4a45-b76d-2133f591e304

F5xhRAZ.jpg

AJ8ccJ7.gif

The Eagles were snuffing out the Giant short passing game and pressuring him on almost every down. Davis had a great game plan.
I love the Eagles Eye posts. I was originally posting them here but I figured no one really cared. The double A gap blitz early on with Graham and Cole was a thing of beauty. Getting a free rusher up the middle like that just wrecks what ever the offense was trying to do. Hopefully we will see more of that going forward.

Damn.

Wow, that is an incredible stat. I remember Steelers fans being happy that Bruce was gone. Who knew he was so important.

JABEE

I love the Eagles Eye posts. I was originally posting them here but I figured no one really cared. The double A gap blitz early on with Graham and Cole was a thing of beauty. Getting a free rusher up the middle like that just wrecks what ever the offense was trying to do. Hopefully we will see more of that going forward.

Barwin and his long reach abused Pugh. He had no chance.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ziggy Ansah is the NFC defensive player of the week

Defensive end Ziggy Ansah was tabbed for NFC defensive player of the week honors for the first time in his NFL career. Ansah abused Vikings left tackle Matt Kalil to the tune of 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble, a performance that helped make Teddy Bridgewater’s second NFL start a lot less enjoyable than his first one.

Lions 2013 Draft Class:

1.) Ezekial Ansah
2.) Darius Slay
3.) Larry Warford

Other staters/contributors include Devin Taylor, Theo Riddick, and one of the best punters this year: Sam Martin.

Martin Mayhew has been a great GM whether its through draft picks or free agency. Shame we had to lose Jahvid Best and Titus Young but Mayhew knows talent.

No one. Megatron and Detroit are tied to each other through at least 2016, after which there's only a $4.8m dead money hit which they can spread out over 2 seasons by designating him a post-June 1 cut.

Exactly. And even if you did trade him now, his dead money number would be just as prohibitive as the cap hit where it wouldn't be enough to sign Suh immediately anyway.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
One of the 31 teams would take Megatron, if not we can restructure his contract. Mayhew knows what he's doing. Suh should be priority number 1 in the offseason. Winning a Superbowl would certainly increase his chances of staying.

No more offseason talk for me today. Just need to focus on the Restoration of the Roar

The real story here is that Stafford put up a sub-78 passer rating against the sorry ass Packers D *with* Megatron in the lineup.

Or maybe it's a non-story because he's not a very good QB. I hope the Lions sign him to a max salary, 10 year deal!

Megatron hurt his ankle in that game.

The technical aspects of that game seem really really puzzling.
On a technical level, the game lacks polish. The texture streaming can be really distracting at times. It reminds me of the first wave of Unreal 3 engine games in that regard (despite the fact that its using ID Tech 5). Visually it's a game decidedly straddling two generations of hardware on the PS4. One one hand, the resolution and generally clean IQ is nice but overall texture quality and other elements don't impress. Thankfully, art direction can do a whole lot to take your mind off of the technical foibles and that is the case with The Evil Within. There's some amazing atmosphere on display with subtle fog effects, wonderful environment design and some really incredible lighting. It definitely shares a great deal with Alien Isolation in that regard (art vs tech).

As I mentioned earlier, framerate dips are there but I can't say it's been something that has bothered me in a significant way. I'm more bothered by the FOV in the game. The combination of the 2:35:1 aspect ratio being used and how close the camera is can make it frustrating to get a proper view during combat.

Even with all of that, I'm enjoying it immensely. I'm a complete sucker for old school survival horror experiences like this (as evidenced by love of ZombiU).

Rejoice, you poors! HBO GO to be offered without a cable sub starting next year.

Nice I pay an extra $40 a month for the movie package with Directv. Will cancel in a second since HBO is the only one I really care about. I gotta have my last week tonight, it is such an amazing show.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
One of those fumbles was pretty much after the game was decided (on a kickoff after we went up 21-7 with 5 or so min left).

Also Stafford is good for one wtf fuckitimgoingdeep INT a game, ESPECIALLY when Calvin is healthy:

ThickFoolishIvorybilledwoodpecker.gif

This was a dumbass pass and never should have been thrown.

Sort of looks like he was open in stride but Stafford threw it wide left and short.

Megatron hurt his ankle in that game.
Then how is it an argument that Stafford is better without him?

1. 78.8 is not a good passer rating
2. The Jets are the Jets

The article you posted is delusional. Please trade Megatron out of the division, that would be fantastic.

gutshot

I'm feeling pretty good about the team as well. Let's not forget they started slow last year and came on as the year progressed. This year they've started slow again, playing poorly against lesser opponents, yet they are 5-1. If they end the season the way they did last season, a playoff bye isn't out of the question.

I'm less worried about Foles' poor decision making and more about his shoddy footwork. Foles has shown he can adjust his game based on his perceived flaws and I expect he will eventually find a happy medium between being willing to get rid of the ball to avoid a sack and being willing to just take the sack. His poor footwork though has me worried as it is something that was a knock on him coming out of Arizona and it looked like he had gotten it coached out of him last season but he has regressed now this year. I'm not sure if he is missing Lazor or if the pressure he has faced due to the depleted o-line has given him happy feet, but he needs to clean that up. I worry that he may never be consistent in this area, which means he will never be accurate enough to be an elite QB.

That being said, if the defense and special teams can keep playing like they have been the last several weeks, we don't need an elite QB to compete. We just need someone who can make a few plays and cut down on the stupid interceptions and we could go far. Excited for the second half of this season!

Tom Penny

Seriously when Rex Ryan get fired the Eagles should scoop him up in the off season. Then they will have two of the best coordinators in the league on both sides of the ball.

So everyone spooging about Halo Collection will love it?

Oh poor poor ez. It must suck to have to take these insane positions. The MCC is generating excitement because it is offering things that people have never had before. The chance to play Halo CE's mp online, the ability to instantly go from one Halo game to another's mp, all the new playlists that they have come up with, enhanced versions of classic Halo maps, and best of all 60 fps gameplay. No FPS should be allowed to be less then 60 fps now. Watching the videos of CE in 60 fps, it is like it is an all new game. Sorry the gaming press is shitting on Drive Club for still being broken, but that doesnt change the fact that the MCC is an amazing value and something to be praised.

Top Bottom