• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 7 |OT| Newton's Laws of Football

cajunator

Banned
ZXewWGa.jpg

That Halo bundle seems like an amazing deal, even for a remake.

Only problem I see with it is that Microsoft is again farming the shit out of their only consistently popular franchise.

Milchjon

Microsoft should do Rallisport Challenge 3 and PGR 5 and all their sales problems would evaporate.

Trust me. I'm an expert.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
A by the numbers understanding of the Lions' defense

Through six weeks, the Detroit Lions have put together one of the better defensive performances in recent memory.

The Lions are in the top 7 in almost every defensive category, and while numbers can tell only part of what is going on with Detroit, it does lead to some pretty impressive comparisons.

“It’s definitely hard work and dedication we put in,” defensive end Jason Jones said. “It means a lot to us. It means a lot to be number one out of 32 teams.”

The Lions are doing this without their starting middle linebacker, Stephen Tulloch, and two of the original cornerbacks on their roster, Bill Bentley and Nevin Lawson, all of whom are out for the season.

Yet the Lions are first in seven categories and they might give an idea of where this defense stacks up over the past five seasons. Here’s a by-the-numbers look at those spots with statistics culled from ESPN Stats & Information.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lio...rs-understanding-of-the-detroit-lions-defense

Comparison stats with other great defenses in the link including:

The stat: Points allowed per game

The number: 13.7

What it means:So far, it has bailed out Detroit’s offense and special teams. The Lions are the only NFL team allowing less than 15 points a game and one of three – San Diego (15.2) and Baltimore (16.2) – keeping teams under 20 points a game.

Historical comparison: This is a biggie. The last team to hold an opponent under 14 points a game for a season was the 2008 Steelers (13.9). Before that, the 2006 Ravens (12.6). That Steelers team won the Super Bowl. The Ravens made the playoffs. In 2005, the Bears held opponents to 12.6 points and in 2002 Tampa Bay held teams to 12.2 points. Three teams managed under 14 points a game in 2001: the Bears, Eagles and Steelers.

-Least amount of yards per game allowed at 270 yards.

-Least amount of points allowed at 82 points.

-3rd in the league in total sacks at 21.

-1st in the league in Opposing Passing Yards allowed, and 2nd in the league in Opposing Rushing Yards allowed.

NFLGAF I gave fair warning about the best defensive line in the league. Teryl Austin (Defensive Coordinator) has done a hell of a job with this defense. We already had Pro Bowlers like Suh and DeAndre Levy and young studs like Ansah and Darius Slay but Coach Austin has finally utilized the talent we had.

Defend the Den 2014.

minx

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lio...rs-understanding-of-the-detroit-lions-defense

-1st in the league in Opposing Passing Yards allowed, and 2nd in the league in Opposing Rushing Yards allowed.

NFLGAF I gave fair warning about the best defensive line in the league. Teryl Austin (Defensive Coordinator) has done a hell of a job with this defense. We already had Pro Bowlers like Suh and DeAndre Levy and young studs like Ansah and Darius Slay but Coach Austin has finally utilized the talent we had.

Defend the Den 2014.

You have played one good offense this year, calm down.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
You have played one good offense this year, calm down.

We handle business when business needs to be handled. Wait till Suh and the boys come after Cutler on Thanksgiving in front of the whole country to witness.

183081t6ee5vlgif.gif

I know Kas is kind of putting on a facade, but I'm genuinely gonna feel bad for him when the Lions miss the playoffs.

This is no facade. This team is built to win this year and I truly believe that. My main concern has been how the offensive line has played compared to last year. Despite the sacks, and pressure Stafford is having a great year. Once this offense inevitably gets going and starts to gel we can beat anyone (we're already doing that without the offense at full potential).

Bowser

Defend the Den 2014.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554249

Bowser

3-0 turnovers. Other than that both teams were pretty much identical. Though Cam stepped all over his dick on third downs.

One of those fumbles was pretty much after the game was decided (on a kickoff after we went up 21-7 with 5 or so min left).

Also Stafford is good for one wtf fuckitimgoingdeep INT a game, ESPECIALLY when Calvin is healthy:

ThickFoolishIvorybilledwoodpecker.gif

This was a dumbass pass and never should have been thrown.

Bowser

Congratulations Bowser, the Panthers biggest success this season will have been beating the Detroit Lions but still not making the playoffs. Your fearsome defense from last year is ranked 28th overall.

eznark: Great point about the fumbles and Cams third down conversions.

I'm going to laugh when we win the division after going 8-7-1 and the Lions miss the playoffs at 10-6.

eznark

Banned
I'm going to laugh when we win the division after going 8-7-1 and the Lions miss the playoffs at 10-6.

I think 10 wins easily gets in. West doesn't have 12 win power houses anymore and the South sucks ass, so the two wild card teams will be 10 win teams. It'll be hard for the Lions to fuck this year up and miss the playoffs completely.

No way are the Lions going 10 - 6. Stafford is just to bad for that, even with the D playing well he will lose a few games in typical Lions fashion. My guess is 8-8. Which would still probably be one of their most successful seasons.

Bowser

I think 10 wins easily gets in. West doesn't have 12 win power houses anymore and the South sucks ass, so the two wild card teams will be 10 win teams. It'll be hard for the Lions to fuck this year up and miss the playoffs completely.

I think the West (Arizona and one of SF/Seattle) and the East (Dallas/Philly) will emerge with two playoff teams, so I think Detroit's gonna need to win the division. Still think Green Bay pulls out the division in the last week.

I think the West (Arizona and one of SF/Seattle) and the East (Dallas/Philly) will emerge with two playoff teams, so I think Detroit's gonna need to win the division. Still think Green Bay pulls out the division in the last week.

It will be interesting to see if Dallas can bank enough wins before December comes to get into the playoffs.

Bowser

It will be interesting to see if Dallas can bank enough wins before December comes to get into the playoffs.

They need to make hay over these next 4 weeks before the bye: vs NYG, vs WAS, vs ARI, @ JAC. If they go 3-1 in that stretch, they've pretty much got a playoff spot locked up at 8-2. The last 6 weeks are pretty brutal: @ NYG, vs PHI, @ CHI, @ PHI, vs IND, @ WAS. Skins is the only gimmie in that stretch.

Dragon

Banned
They need to make hay over these next 4 weeks before the bye: vs NYG, vs WAS, vs ARI, @ JAC. If they go 3-1 in that stretch, they've pretty much got a playoff spot locked up at 8-2. The last 6 weeks are pretty brutal: @ NYG, vs PHI, @ CHI, @ PHI, vs IND, @ WAS. Skins is the only gimmie in that stretch.

4 out of 6 road games? yuck.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
One of those fumbles was pretty much after the game was decided (on a kickoff after we went up 21-7 with 5 or so min left).

Also Stafford is good for one wtf fuckitimgoingdeep INT a game, ESPECIALLY when Calvin is healthy:

When you sling, sometimes you slang. Our offense has been better without Megatron. Hopefully he gets better for Week 10, but If I were GM I'd offer Megatrons' $20 Million contract and a 5th round pick for Kelvin Benjamin.

Stafford has been great at running the offense with what he's been given. At least 2 of his 4 INTs this year were off tipped/dropped balls (IIRC its 3). Our offensive line has been atrocious this year and Stafford has been sacked more than any other QB in the NFL.

We also screwed up our offensive gameplan by using a hurt Megatron as a "decoy" and the missed field goals are the only thing keeping us from 5-1.

Ye of little faith.

Lions are still winning the division. I have foreseen it!

Thank you Grover, knock some sense into Bowser. Also consider the trade proposal I have put on the table. We can possibly negotiate.

Calvin had a step on the defense. it wasn't that the pass shouldn't of been thrown, it the fact that the ball was underthrown. Good decision that was poorly executed not one that shouldn't of been thrown.

In other news these memes are great

DMczaf

When you sling, sometimes you slang.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17875086&postcount=676

Coach Jim Schwartz Mic'd up during the Redskins game, telling Matt Stafford to "sling that bitch".

Matthew Stafford: Slinging, not slanging.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d8130b6f5/Sound-FX-Schwartz-mic-d-up

I'm convinced this guy will be our head coach for a long, long time. Such a refreshing change of pace for this franchise.

image.php

Bowser

When you sling, sometimes you slang. Our offense has been better without Megatron. Hopefully he gets better for Week 10, but If I were GM I'd offer Megatrons' $20 Million contract and a 5th round pick for Kelvin Benjamin.

Stafford has been great at running the offense with what he's been given. At least 2 of his 4 INTs this year were off tipped/dropped balls (IIRC its 3). Our offensive line has been atrocious this year and Stafford has been sacked more than any other QB in the NFL.

We also screwed up our offensive gameplan by using a hurt Megatron as a "decoy" and the missed field goals are the only thing keeping us from 5-1.

Thank you Grover, knock some sense into Bowser. Also consider the trade proposal I have put on the table. We can possibly negotiate.

Your offense has been better without Megatron? Um, y'all scored 7 points vs the Bills. Fatford was 6/10 for 33 yards in the 2nd half vs Minnesota. Your offense has gone to shit without Megatron like it ALWAYS does.

No deal.

Even if I were willing to trade a future stud for a over the hill, breaking down receiver, we couldn't possibly afford Megatron's contract.

Remember all those receivers we couldn't afford to pay in the offseason?

Your offense has been better without Megatron? Um, y'all scored 7 points vs the Bills. Fatford was 6/10 for 33 yards in the 2nd half vs Minnesota. Your offense has gone to shit without Megatron like it ALWAYS does.

Holy shit at Stafford not needing Megatron. Kas will literally say anything to spin shit so Stafford doesnt look bad.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Schwartz was cool for those first two years. You have to understand the Lions were traumatized after the 0-16 season and had about 8 head coaches in those Millen years, including one our last one who was a high school coach at shitty Rosemead High School.

Schwartz was going to players houses trying to recruit players like Kyle Vanden Bosh and Nate Burleson. Schwartz was the cool coach who brought some swagger and wasn't afraid to go toe to toe with Harbaugh.

The 2012 season changed everything and the predictable offense and overall lack of discipline on the team screwed everything up and he wasn't able to hold the team together despite the immense talent. A competent coaching staff is doing that and Caldwell calling out Nick Fairley is something Schwartz never would've done.

Schwartz is still better than any Bucs HC since Jon Gruden.

No deal.

Even if I were willing to trade a future stud for a over the hill, breaking down receiver, we couldn't possibly afford Megatron's contract.

Remember all those receivers we couldn't afford to pay in the offseason?

Should not have been spending money on wife beating defensive ends.

Schwartz was cool for those first two years. You have to understand the Lions were traumatized after the 0-16 season and had about 8 head coaches in those Millen years, including one our last one who was a high school coach at shitty Rosemead High School.

Schwartz was going to players houses trying to recruit players like Kyle Vanden Bosh and Nate Burleson. Schwartz was the cool coach who brought some swagger and wasn't afraid to go toe to toe with Harbaugh.

The 2012 season changed everything and the predictable offense and overall lack of discipline on the team screwed everything up and he wasn't able to hold the team together despite the immense talent. A competent coaching staff is doing that and Caldwell calling out Nick Fairley is something Schwartz never would've done.

Schwartz is still better than any Bucs HC since Jon Gruden.

jnc!!!

gutshot

Lovely play design from Chip Kelly and Co. here to use the Giants' aggressiveness attacking the inside zone against them. And check out that block by Celek on JPP.

WigglyEssentialGoldfinch.gif

Top Bottom