• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 7 |OT| Newton's Laws of Football

eznark

Banned
True and Brees beat the Saints.I was going off Yankeehater's logic.

Semantics! He said Stafford beat the Stains, which is absolutely true. He won against the Packers, but he didn't beat them.

Also Phoenix, the Falcons are one of the worst teams in football. They are somehow softer than the Panthers, who are one of the softest teams in football. They have probably the worst pass pro line in the entire league. Their only bright spot, literally, is the QB and one wide out. You know how that generally works out! Going into this week they were a bottom five defense and according to AFS they were the second worst team against the pass.

They are a fucking trainwreck. They are a much worse version of the Saints. Of course, you needed a few gifts to squeak that one out so anything is possible but this should be a three score win for Detroit.

Semantics! He said Stafford beat the Stains, which is absolutely true. He won against the Packers, but he didn't beat them.

Also Phoenix, the Falcons are one of the worst teams in football. They are somehow softer than the Panthers, who are one of the softest teams in football. They have probably the worst pass pro line in the entire league. Their only bright spot, literally, is the QB and one wide out. You know how that generally works out! Going into this week they were a bottom five defense and according to AFS they were the second worst team against the pass.

They are a fucking trainwreck. They are a much worse version of the Saints. Of course, you needed a few gifts to squeak that one out so anything is possible but this should be a three score win for Detroit.

Plus it's outdoors and Atlanta sucks outdoors. Yay we're still the number 1 defense. Thanks Broncos

Crisco

Banned
Probably better for the Panthers to lose out and draft a starting left tackle than BS our way to 4-5 more wins and a playoff berth. Or maybe we should start force feeding Jordon Gross some Popeyes and get him back on the field.

eznark

Banned
Ok, so looking at the snaps numbers in Detroit I finally see a situation where you should be running just for the sake of running.

Allowing Ziggy Ansah to stay on the field for 70% of the snaps is an indictment of Sean Payton. You have got to run the ball and force him to rotate out.

post-20064-This-is-the-worst-gif-michael-1D75.gif

Rewatching some of the game from yesterday. The third quarter is so frustrating to watch. Stupid penalties killed some really promising drives for the offense. I won't even bother commenting on the Donnell fumbles which pretty killed any chances we had. Its pie in the sky to think about what could have been but the Giants continue to be their own worst enemy.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Everyone sucks this year it seems like. NFC has Packers, Lions, and Cowboys. AFC is Broncos, Chargers, Colts and Pats maybe?

Feels like anyone can lose to anybody still. I'm not sure if it's parity or mass incompetence. Green Bay looks like a team that could win a playoff game but I'm not ready to ride them as a Super Bowl pick like the bookies do every year.

Ok, so looking at the snaps numbers in Detroit I finally see a situation where you should be running just for the sake of running.

Allowing Ziggy Ansah to stay on the field for 70% of the snaps is an indictment of Sean Payton. You have got to run the ball and force him to rotate out.

Sean Payton is the second best coach in the league.

Everyone sucks this year it seems like. NFC has Packers, Lions, and Cowboys. AFC is Broncos, Chargers, Colts and Pats maybe?

Feels like anyone can lose to anybody still. I'm not sure if it's parity or mass incompetence. Green Bay looks like a team that could win a playoff game but I'm not ready to ride them as a Super Bowl pick like the bookies do every year.

My vote is incompetence. So many blowouts, and by teams who were thought to be good.

I just saw on Sportscenter that Stafford now has 6 game winning TD passes inside the 2 minutes which is the most in NFL history by a player in his first 6 season. Cool.

I know Kas is the only one who like that I posted this

eznark

Banned
I just saw on Sportscenter that Stafford now has 6 game winning TD passes inside the 2 minutes which is the most in NFL history by a player in his first 6 season. Cool.

Have any come against teams with a winning record?

Crisco

Banned

Packers can score points and rush the passer, that's enough to win playoff games. I'd trust them over the Lions or Cowboys.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sean Payton is the second best coach in the league.

My vote is incompetence. So many blowouts, and by teams who were thought to be good.

The recent shit shows by the Niners and Seahawks really isn't helping my perception either. Hell, I sometimes wonder if Arizona has what it takes to Dilfer itself to a Super Bowl win. The entire NFC South being the biggest dumpster fire since the year the chickens went 7-9 is embarassing for that whole division. AFC North is a question mark as a whole but still pretty good. Buffalo should be better but they're held back by coaching in some regards.

brentech

Stafford does great in that spot. But he also puts his team in that spot all too often with terrible turnovers in the game.
Dude is a weird ass anomaly.

Feeling so much better with 2 days of antibiotics. Thought my head was going to blow up from sinus infection.

Peppers seems to be just what the Packers D ordered, and just in time for Matthews' yearly disappearing act. They look leagues better, though to be fair I was drinking so much I couldn't be bothered to change the channel in their blowout of the Panthers so maybe it was just because they had a lead.

On that note, has every single one of the Panthers losses been a blowout? Steelers Rats and Packers all slaughtered them.

So losing to Stafford means your team is gonna finish with a losing record?
Sorry EZ, Greg and company Packers are finishing with a losing record according to this.

I may be with you on that boat. I like Bush and everything but Riddick is looking good this year when he's health and Bush is getting older plus the line play isn't helping him out. I gonna like the Riddick/Bell combo in the future

You seriously didnt get that I was making a joke about Stafford only having 1 win against teams with winning records in his career?

rando14

The recent shit shows by the Niners and Seahawks really isn't helping my perception either. Hell, I sometimes wonder if Arizona has what it takes to Dilfer itself to a Super Bowl win. The entire NFC South being the biggest dumpster fire since the year the chickens went 7-9 is embarassing for that whole division. AFC North is a question mark as a whole but still pretty good. Buffalo should be better but they're held back by coaching in some regards.

I dunno if I'd call our two recent losses shitshows, let's be real the Cowboys are a better team than us now and the Rams always play well against us. Last year we beat them by 5, this year they beat us by 2.

That said Arizona has done an excellent job scraping wins and building a nice buffer, still a long season to go but I think AZ or SF will win the division!!

Have any come against teams with a winning record?

For shits and giggles I looked it up:

11/22/2009 vs. Browns (1-8 at the time, 5-11 finish)
10/02/2011 at Cowboys (2-1, 8-8)
12/18/2011 at Raiders (7-6, 8-8)
09/09/2012 vs. Rams (0-0, 7-8-1)
10/28/2012 vs. Seahawks (4-3, 11-5)
10/19/2014 vs. Saints (2-3)

Tom Penny

It's bizarro world when the Cowboys are legit. Their O Line is so good they can control teams offensively and their D isn't a total sieve.

Why all the Stafford hate? He's probably come back in a game down 9 at halftime unlike Rodgers.

I got it but you obviously didn't get that I was joking right with my immediate response

It seemed like you guys were seriously discussing it.

So I heard Brandon Marshall today say that some guys on the team need to care more, and then I heard a report that he was yelling at Cutler in the locker room after the game. So good.

brentech

Funny part is that BMarsh was on Inside the NFL this week and said he recently had a attitude coach. Told him to smile during the games and keep a positive tone because good things will happen. That lasted a week.

Was just looking it up, I thought it was a guest spot, but I guess he's a regular this year.
:jnc
Bills Football takes a lot of you

B0XIv4xCUAENGoh.png

The head coach when he was hired early last year, and after the game yesterday
Looks like it puts a lot in him.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Green bay
Dallas
Detroit

Pretty easy!

How can Green Bay be better when we beat them?

Detroit's defense beat the packers

Right, and Detroit's defense is a part of this team. Our defense and defensive line are part of this years team identity. The Lions as a franchise have never had a defense this good. When you face the Lions you face Ndamakung Suh, DeAndre Levy, Grover Quin, Nick Fairley, Jason Jones, Ezekial Ansah and plenty of other young talent. The way they all swarm to the ball, the pressure on the QB every single play, the turnovers. I knew we were going to be a great defense but this reminds me of great defenses from the past that can take you to a Superbowl, except we have an explosive offense on top of that.

Lion fans and NFL fans have historically never identified the Lions with defense. This is the best defense in the league.

The past few years our identity has been offense and we're getting it done without some very important players. The argument that Stafford can't get it done without Megatron is finished. Our #2 receiver was Kris Durham (who was horrible) last year while this year our #2 is Golden Tate who is playing like a #1.

When the time called for it on 3rd downs Stafford delivered. We were 7/15 on 3rd downs, including an 3rd and 18 where Stafford hit Tate perfectly, and the 3rd and 14 which led to the Golden Tate TD. Those were big time, perfectly thrown balls in crunch time.

I know Lion fans are skeptical that we'll have a collapse but remember we're doing this all without Megatron whereas in the past we "needed him" to win. After our bye week on Week 11 Megatron comes back into the lineup as well as some other key players like Theo Riddick and Eric Ebron. Weve handled business without key players and Martin Mayhew has drafted so well and has had plenty of steals in free agency the depth on this roster has a next man up mentality.

Golden Tate who is only 26 has a 5 year contract for $30 Million. Remember the whole Grover Quin v. Dashon Goldston debate on who to sign. Quin is in 2nd place in the NFL in INTs and is a key member of this defense. Another brilliant signing by Mayhew and the front office.

Yesterdays game was one of the most satisfying wins I've had as a sports fan of any sport. The overall roller coaster emotion of the game and how the team did not give up and both our offense and defense came through when it mattered. Momentum is in our favor and we're young talented and have team chemistry.

bionic77

How is it his fault they have no interior D? Should have kept Bynum.
I remember when Kobex and me used to argue about Bynum. He used to think he was good.

As usual I was right. But I didn't want to be. :(

aside from last night. why does everyone hate jim harbaugh so much? I love his drama and craziness.
His overreactions are hilarious.

I would love to have him as our coach. Hopefully the Yorks keep shitting on him and he gets fired or leaves right when Tomlin is kicked out of the door at the end of the season.

Come to Pittsburgh Harbs! Our owners will let you stay here forever and you get to fuck up your brother 2 times a year!

eznark

Banned
As long as the Lions are playing a sub-.500 team with a historically bad defense at home they can win without Megatron.

Tom Penny

It seemed like you guys were seriously discussing it.

So I heard Brandon Marshall today say that some guys on the team need to care more, and then I heard a report that he was yelling at Cutler in the locker room after the game. So good.

He called out the whole team but let's be real. Nobody is underachieving more than Cutler. Brandon Marshall, Jeffries, Bennett and Forte. I don't know how many good skill players you need to be productive. That has to be top 5 in the league. Granted it wouldn't shock me at all if just chucking the ball up hoping for bail out catches works against the Pats this week. Sometimes that formula works.

Sephzilla

When they were talking about Rodgers' non-interception streak I was legit shook at the stat that Favre had a 160ish (?) pass attempt streak without an interception

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Spread the word. I already knew that because I've seen those games, but the media and fans in general are not aware of how good Stafford is. Whether its his physical talent at QB, his leadership and his cool demeanor NFL fans don't see that because the media has not put the camera on him like Newton, Luck and other young QBs. Now people are taking notice.

Sean Payton was so salty at the end of that game. Oh boy was that wonderful.

Reffing sucked, Stafford sucked for 3 and a half quarters, the run game sucked, the defense got abused through the air and on penalties for 3 quarters, and the O-line continues to be in shambles. But 5-2 and what should be a less stressful opponent (I just fucked Detroit) in the Falcons before the bye seems like a pretty okay deal out of it all.

If it wasn't for Glover Quinn, Golden Tate would be the best free agent signing Detroit has had in a very very long time. The guy just gobbles up YAC every game. Ihedigbo has made a big difference in the secondary too. Terryl Austin deserves a nice pat on the back for taking all the talent that was wasted by Schwartz and Cunningham and doing something with it. I'll miss Suh and his thuggish ways next year.

Maybe I was wrong about Scott Linnehan this whole time. He is helping the Cowboys offense do miraculous things (well, him and Demarco Murray). While I always joked about Stafford being a middle of the road QB, I never really believed it. But I'm starting to think I used Linnehan as a scapegoat to protect Matthew. I just don't think he is the guy. Everything Eznark, bannedepisode, and everyone else kept saying is true. I mean, an 8% 3rd down conversion rate over the last 2 or 3 weeks is fucking terrifying. Only 5ish years left with his harrowing contract, though!

And Brandon Marshall is the saltiest person in the NFL and I love it

Spread the word. I already knew that because I've seen those games, but the media and fans in general are not aware of how good Stafford is. Whether its his physical talent at QB, his leadership and his cool demeanor NFL fans don't see that because the media has not put the camera on him like Newton, Luck and other young QBs. Now people are taking notice.

Sometimes I wonder if you're really playing a character or not. I hope I never find out

The only saving grace as a Panthers fan right now is that we're in a better position long-term than anyone else in the division.

The Bucs have comically inept management.

The Saints cap is fucked with all of the cap hits they are pushing into future years.

The Falcons still have way too many holes to fill in one or two years.

duxstar

People on the Niners forums are freaking out of course lol saying the team is done, honestly with the injuries and the schedule the way it's been I'm happy as hell to be 4 - 3 going into the bye.

People forget we are playing defense without 2 all-pros, and then we lose our 3rd the week before we play Peyton Manning who btw is poised to break a record. After playing a division game on Monday Night.

Its easy for people to forget the schedule we had this year.

Chiefs, Cardinals, Cowboys, Eagles, Bears, Rams, Broncos

If we look this bad in week 12 I'll be worried, just had to hold the fort down till reinforcements came.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The Cowboys offense goes through Jason Garrett. Rob Ryan and his defensive schemes are gone which held the team back and Garrett runs a traditional defense. He's done a great job this year.

When they were talking about Rodgers' non-interception streak I was legit shook at the stat that Favre had a 160ish (?) pass attempt streak without an interception

I'm guessing it was either during the 2009 season where he only had 7 picks or during his God mode run in the mid 90s

People on the Niners forums are freaking out of course lol saying the team is done, honestly with the injuries and the schedule the way it's been I'm happy as hell to be 4 - 3 going into the bye.

People forget we are playing defense without 2 all-pros, and then we lose our 3rd the week before we play Peyton Manning who btw is poised to break a record. After playing a division game on Monday Night.

Its easy for people to forget the schedule we had this year.

Chiefs, Cardinals, Cowboys, Eagles, Bears, Rams, Broncos

If we look this bad in week 12 I'll be worried, just had to hold the fort down till reinforcements came.

I'm more annoyed that we lost against the bears and cardinals.. As far as I'm concerned, those games were given away.

Didn't expect to win last night but didn't expect to get blown out either. Hopefully niners come back with a vengeance after the bye

Top Bottom