• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 9 |OT| NO means NO

Tamanon

Banned
Who really gives a shit? Nobody cares about a Zelda story anyways. They don't need gripping character interactions, they just want to know how to use the Boomerang Sword or whatever the next tool they pick up is.

Hard to judge the best gen.

Everyone is saying the obvious PS2 and SNES and that is a fair opinion to have as GOAT console generation.

I will go in a different direction and pick the 32 bit era. Those games have aged like garbage, but at the time it was a really exciting time to be a gamer. It felt like something new was happening every few months.

Oculus might give us that feeling again. If that doesn't I am not sure what the next step is going to be.

Hate to say it bionic, but "that feeling" is gone for you and me. There will be no technology that gets us back to the high of the SNES through PS2.

Who really gives a shit? Nobody cares about a Zelda story anyways. They don't need gripping character interactions, they just want to know how to use the Boomerang Sword or whatever the next tool they pick up is.

Yep. To be honest the less talking in Zelda the better, The more time spent talking is less time I get to spend going upside fool's heads with the Master Sword.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zelda works the way it does because, much like Gata's mom, it's self-insertion. Nobody gives a fuck about Link's personality, because he's been designed to be a blank slate from the beginning. That's to give the illusion that you're going on this great adventure. Well, as much as that can happen within the confines of a Japanese made elf-simulator.

Dragon

Banned
Last gen was not the glory days.

PS2 era was the glory days. We had so many different games to play back then. And so many of them were good. Just look at how small the games section at stores has become since the 3 and 360 came out.

I am guessing to be fair that multiplayer really changed that. People probably don't have the need for a lot of single player experiences when all they do is play madden or destiny online.

PS1 was the glory days for me.

I think it's more that the cost to make AAA games has grown incredibly high. Too high for any mid-tier company to do it. So companies like Konami don't bother taking risks on anything these days.

PS1 had:

A) That T-Rex demo which fucking blew my mind

B) Metal Gear Solid

C) ISS Pro Evolution 2 which is the greatest footy game Konami has ever produced and possibly the greatest football game of all time.

I loved that console so much that I didn't give a toss that I needed to turn the fucker upside down to get it to read the disc. Thank fuck GAF wasn't around back then to tell me that I should be whining incessantly about the hardware instead of just having a great deal of fun.

Greg

Oh, because I suck on toast and I refuse to play as other team. I'm always up for a friendly game, but don't expect anything approximating a challenge. Spider Y 2 banana all day son.
it's ok, I'm the Jags anyways!

You've said you were gonna buy Fifa! Why haven't we played yet!

I second this. Get on it, Gregory!
I know... I didn't expect Driveclub to be as good as it is, and it ended up being a time/money thing.

I planned on going digital initially, but that's pointless now. I might pick up a physical copy if I can find a deal on it down the road and you people are still playing.

i can share play some FIFA with you greg to test it out!
I loved the demo, and I love FIFA in general, so I know I'll like it

I am interested in trying a share play co-op or something though just to see how the feature runs

it's ok, I'm the Jags anyways!

I know... I didn't expect Driveclub to be as good as it is, and it ended up being a time/money thing.

I planned on going digital initially, but that's pointless now. I might pick up a physical copy if I can find a deal on it down the road and you people are still playing.

I am interested in trying a share play co-op or something though just to see how the feature runs

I usually play Fifa until the new one comes out, so we should be good

Spinluck

I'm with you. It's 2014 give me voice acting for your triple A game and franchise.

Instead of reading your bullshit stories, let me listen to them.

:lol it's not even that much reading though. Gaffers will have probably read more in a thread bitching about shadow resolutions in The Last of Us, than the dialogue in an entire Zelda game.

Nah, to each thier own. Brainwashing? Lol.

Most games still have crap voice acting, and it doesn't really add anything. Especially to the way Zelda games are structured.

I think that's one big problem with single player games - too much standing around listening to NPCs drone on.

I think that's part of the reason CoD is so popular - barely any time spent sitting down doing nothing. Frenetic action, all the time.
:lol it's not even that much reading though. Gaffers will have probably read more in a thread bitching about shadow resolutions in The Last of Us, than the dialogue in an entire Zelda game.

Zelda's gotten pretty long winded the last couple of installments.

Dragon

Banned

If the host has a good upload speed, it will be good. My experience hasn't been that great and my upload speed hovers around 3-4 for PS4.

The beginning of Skyward Sword was really quite annoying. For some reason I forgave it in Wind Waker, because there were similar aspects.

bionic77

Hate to say it bionic, but "that feeling" is gone for you and me. There will be no technology that gets us back to the high of the SNES through PS2.
Thats not true.

I was blown away by Mario Galaxy and Kid Icarus.

Tech wise I have not been blown away since the PS1 era.

Occulus is probably the nearest thing that has a chance to give us a feeling of something we have never seen before.

Like I said I think the last gen was all about the multiplayer experience. If you are into that and never played a PC game for the past 20 years it was a really novel experience. For me I remember wasting way too many hours playing Quake and Warcraft 2 (no world) over the college internet back in the 90s. Thats probably how most gamers felt playing Call of Duty 2 in 2007.

Enough old talk.

We have Ravens Steelers this week!

For all the Gods that have ever existed. Please lend us a hand in making sure the Ravens do not sweep up this year. I will even gladly accept the willing and generous hand of Mr. Flacco to make this happen!

Syrinx

I just don't think it's a big deal either way.

My personal preference is no VA, but i'm a dinosaur that doesn't even play games anymore so I would totally understand if they didn't cater to me.

It just seems weird to me how Zelda is the last real holdout for VA (of all things) and that the only real objection is "tradition". Like franchises like Final Fantasy, Castlevania, and many others don't have their roots in the pre-voice acting days.

Also not including VA hasn't stopped them from trying to get more cinematic and story-oriented, so "Gameplay >>>>>>>> story!" isn't really a valid excuse IMO.

UberTag

I've gone and set up a new Survival league on NFL.com.
Simply create a fantasy profile, select Join Group at the above link and search for the private group called NFL-GAF SURVIVAL LEAGUE 2.
Password is neogaf just as it was for the first 2014 league.

Best of luck!
Going to quote this to give the group a bump. Can't have a meaningful Survival League redux with only 5 people participating.
C'mon, NFL-GAF. You don't want me to win two of these in the same season, do you?

It just seems weird to me how Zelda is the last real holdout for VA (of all things) and that the only real objection is "tradition". Like franchises like Final Fantasy, Castlevania, and many others don't have their roots in the pre-voice acting days.

Also not including VA hasn't stopped them from trying to get more cinematic and story-oriented, so "Gameplay >>>>>>>> story!" isn't really a valid excuse IMO.

Eh, the no VA thing is just luddite Nintendo in action again.

The reason I prefer it is because I read faster than people talk. When a game has VA when I get to the end of the sentence I always skip it. I don't bother waiting for the VA to catch up.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ravens vs. Steelers is my favorite non-Buffalo matchup to watch, the Bills are on a bye and I have the weekend off.

It's all coming together.

sources: RG3 to start Sunday against the Vikes
https://twitter.com/NBCdianna/status/527562777314222080

kill-yourself-aj-soprano-o.gif

ShaneB

Going to quote this to give the group a bump. Can't have a meaningful Survival League redux with only 5 people participating.
C'mon, NFL-GAF. You don't want me to win two of these in the same season, do you?

Was going to repost this as well. Join up folks!

jakncoke

Banned
Ravens/Steelers battles are really shit now that nfl faux cares about player safety and Joe Flacco is allowed to chuck and pray and succeed at drawing bs pi

bionic77

Ravens/Steelers battles are really shit now that nfl faux cares about player safety and Joe Flacco is allowed to chuck and pray and succeed at drawing bs pi
I also miss the violence and brutality.

But those days are gone.

Speaking of the NFL. Is holding down this year? I feel like it is being called less than it normally is.

Spinluck

I think that's one big problem with single player games - too much standing around listening to NPCs drone on.

I think that's part of the reason CoD is so popular - barely any time spent sitting down doing nothing. Frenetic action, all the time.

Zelda's gotten pretty long winded the last couple of installments.

I remember Skyward Sword getting wordy, and it would repeat the same crap constantly. It was a bit annoying but I remember no such problem in Twilight Princess and Zelda ALBW (3ds). Those games were great. Yeah COD doesn't really have that issue for today's gamers, it's just made to be super accessible. Throw it in your console and get that instant and constant rush of action.

The beginning of Skyward Sword was really quite annoying. For some reason I forgave it in Wind Waker, because there were similar aspects.

Skyward Sword was ridiculous for reintroducing everything--it is probably the worst offender and it took me the longest of all Zelda's to best because it dragged and decided to be the most story heavy in the series.

The 3DS game has none of these issues. I hope the next one is structured like top down Zelda, but on a 3D plain. It will probably continue the trend of pushing out a few more cutscenes. If the game is fun and great to look at I won't mind though, but I hope the mistakes of Skyward Sword are done away with.

Tamanon

Banned
Jags are getting a ton of holding calls against them. It's the #1 drive killer these past several games. Of course they have a pretty young line so it's kinda expected, but annoying nonetheless.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I talked to a former DE (borderline PS player, but still) who had some not so shocking revelations about the league as a whole.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
sounds like an awesome story

Haha it was really ridiculous, but it basically just confirms all the "dirty secrets" as a whole as far as Steroids, domestic abuse, coverups, etc. I think it's both funny and sad that this stuff comes as a surprise to people though.

Top Bottom