• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

squicken

Why the NFL Has a Quarterback Crisis

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said the new crop of college quarterbacks were flummoxed by a simple question about an “under” front, one of the most common defensive alignments. “Whoa, no one’s ever told me ‘front’ before,” he remembers one prospect saying. “No one’s ever talked to me about reading these defenses.”

Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley said he had the same results when he asked prospects a question about defenses shifting from a common scheme called “cover 2” to an equally mundane tactic called “cover 3.” Hue Jackson, the offensive coordinator from the Bengals, said he had to dumb down his questions, while Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton said some QBs failed to grasp things as basic as understanding a common play call. “You have to teach these kids the absolute basics,” he said.

Petty admits to grappling with tasks such as hearing and calling the play, identifying defensive backs in coverage and identifying which player in the defensive backfield was the “mike” linebacker, the central part of the defense whose location teams base their offensive line protections on. “As crazy as it sounds, at Baylor, we did not point out the ‘mike’ linebacker,” Petty said.

cdyhybrid

$950.

WHAT A BARGAIN!

Why pay that much when you can get the exact same product without the Apple markup?

Buy a Surface Pro 3 today.

o0rw8EN.jpg

They've actually taken a poll, and only the people from Boston in the gallery were obnoxious. Everyone from anywhere else was perfectly composed. Incredible really how racist Boston is.

I do. Being racist isn't so bad though. Just means we have something in common with Kas!

This isn't true. Some of the obnoxious ones had also driven up from Philly!

squicken

e:

Andrew Siciliano ‏@AndrewSiciliano
Andrew Luck has played 54 @nfl games. Only once have the Colts had a RB rush for 100 yards. Once.

-----

Have they never played Madden? Even a bad Madden player (like Greg, for example) should be able to adequately describe the difference between Cover 2 and Cover 3.

I added the Petty quote about Baylor not calling out the Mike. I think it explains also why OL are so far behind as well. At some point I think this effects recruiting, which I think it did with that Rosen guy. NFL defenders are full time employees. Going fast will never force them to be simple like it does with CFB guys

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2015-new-england-patriots-1728783368

A group of about 15 of my friends were watching the Super Bowl at a friend’s house. During the brawl in the fourth quarter this group of about 14 Sullys proceeded to yell every racial slur imaginable at the TV. Did I mention I’m half black?
We refer to our owner as “Mr. Kraft”, coincidentally the same thing his current 19 year old girlfriend calls him.
Tom Brady deflated those goddamn footballs. There, I said it.
the fans have a persecution complex that would make fundamentalist Christians blush.
The worst thing about Brady is that it is impossible to defend him and the Pats without turning into a walking hot take. One minute it’s a rational discussion, the next I’m screaming that everyone videotaped each other, everyone fucks with the balls, and The Tuck Rule was called correctly (it was, everyone else can fuck right out of here).

I have multiple friends that have already told me they’re switching teams when Brady retires.
They are the “Homophobic Preacher Caught With A Male Masseuse” of the NFL: preaching to everyone else on the Patriot Way but cutting corners and cheating at every turn.
Remember when the Patriots won the Super Bowl by the skin of their teeth? Remember how they won it? With a great secondary, that’s how. What happened to that secondary? Run the fuck out of town in typical Belichickian fashion.
even though I think most reasonable people can see that Ballghazi was blown out of proportion, the Patriots as a team, and we as fans, have done absolutely nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt from anyone.
A friend of mine actually said this to me once, in complete seriousness:

“End of The Road by Boyz II Men came on during my Pandora shuffle and I sang along word for word. When the song was over I was sweating, my voice was hoarse, my eyes were teary and I realized I’m still not over the fact that Revis left my Patriots.”
Because every single Patriots fan on the planet actually believes that the following things are true: (1) “deflator” means “lose weight,” (2) the Tuck Rule play wasn’t a fumble, (3) the Snow Plow game was awesome and something to be proud of and not blatant cheating, (4) fuck Darrelle Revis for leaving don’t let the door hit you on the way out YOU DO NOT REPRESENT THE PATRIOT WAY LIKE TOM BRADY DOES, (5) we deserve your pity because you don’t know what it’s like to go only 18-1 instead of 19-0, and (6) Bill Simmons is a gifted writer. I hate myself sometimes.
Take every negative stereotype of NFL fans, from entitlement to racism to drug- addled women-beating, and Patriots fans embody it. We are everything hateable. We make excuses for cheating. We pollute the airwaves and the Internet with our ill-informed nonsense. We’re evil.

Happy season :D

Greg

Have they never played Madden? Even a bad Madden player (like Greg, for example) should be able to adequately describe the difference between Cover 2 and Cover 3.
bitch, you just got a PS4

no one can survive with 0 confidence Jags

BigAT

I added the Petty quote about Baylor not calling out the Mike. I think it explains also why OL are so far behind as well. At some point I think this effects recruiting, which I think it did with that Rosen guy. NFL defenders are full time employees. Going fast will never force them to be simple like it does with CFB guys

Never really considered the implication on the O-line, an interesting thought. The college game has been boiled down from just running more simplified offenses, to the point now that QBs don't even relay the play to their teammates. I don't know how you evaluate a guy and project him to the pros when there is a potential that you might have to teach him literally how to do a 3-step drop or shout out a play call in the huddle.

ACE 1991

So Ameer Abdullah is 3rd on the RB depth chart this week, does that mean I shouldn't start him, or should I not take much stock in this? I'm afraid he's gonna get very minimal snaps. I'm looking at either him, Charles Johnson or James Jones for my FLEX spot (note that my #1 WR is Cobb)

EDIT: Oops, not the fantasy thread. Maybe someone can give me some insight here though :)

Bread

Banned
So Ameer Abdullah is 3rd on the RB depth chart this week, does that mean I shouldn't start him, or should I not take much stock in this? I'm afraid he's gonna get very minimal snaps. I'm looking at either him, Charles Johnson or James Jones for my FLEX spot (note that my #1 WR is Cobb)

EDIT: Oops, not the fantasy thread. Maybe someone can give me some insight here though :)
start the other guy

Miracle

Not NFL related per say but I wonder if they will follow suit with what the NBA announced recently.

The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved changes to playoff seeding and qualification procedures effective with the 2015-16 season, the league announced Tuesday.

As part of the modifications, the eight playoff teams in each conference will be seeded in order of their regular-season record. Most recently, every division winner was guaranteed a top four seed in its respective conference regardless of its record but did not receive home-court advantage if its playoff opponent had a better record.

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/09/08/nba-to-seed-conference-playoff-teams-by-record/

I recall the Bucs only being a couple or so games away from first place in Division despite having one of the worst records in the league at one point.

After that happened last year, I'm curious if the NFL is considering to do this as well at some point.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Not NFL related per say but I wonder if they will follow suit with what the NBA announced recently.

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/09/08/nba-to-seed-conference-playoff-teams-by-record/

I recall the Bucs only being a couple or so games away from first place in Division despite having one of the worst records in the league at one point.

After that happened last year, I'm curious if the NFL is considering to do this as well at some point.
never happen, owners want their home playoff game for winning the division. I wish it would though, its asinine that a 7-8-1 team was in the playoffs last year.

Miracle

never happen, owners want their home playoff game for winning the division. I wish it would though, its asinine that a 7-8-1 team was in the playoffs last year.

That's a shame because I'm also in favor of having the divisions scrapped for best record. Too many teams have lost a spot in the payoffs despite having a better record.

MechDX

Good article.

Also explains why it feels like we haven't seen that next great quarterback in a while.

Been saying this for a while. Luck will be the last great QB prospect for a long damn time.

Fuck the read option and modern day run-n-shoot offenses. Only reason I hope the Eagles fail is because I don't want that stupid ass offense dominating the league. Would rather watch a great QB like Rodgers or Manning cerebrally picking apart a defense at its weakness or Eli just saying fuck it!

cdyhybrid

Good article.

Also explains why it feels like we haven't seen that next great quarterback in a while.

Luck was only three years ago. Those guys don't grow on trees.

The proliferation of zero-complexity spread offenses in college has hurt pro prospect development, no doubt, but there will always be guys as long as the NFL keeps running pro-style offenses. A proven track record of putting guys into the NFL is a strong, strong draw for high school kids. Look at Alabama (yes, they also have other things going for them).

dionysus

Yaldog
Good article.

It makes me wonder if all the really bad stupidity was from just one prospect and all those sources are referring to the same guy. I mean not knowing cover 2 vs cover 3 or how to identify the mike is crazy. I really doubt most college qbs can't do that.

squicken

Been saying this for a while. Luck will be the last great QB prospect for a long damn time.

Fuck the read option and modern day run-n-shoot offenses. Only reason I hope the Eagles fail is because I don't want that stupid ass offense dominating the league. Would rather watch a great QB like Rodgers or Manning cerebrally picking apart a defense at its weakness or Eli just saying fuck it!

Rodgers Manning Brady and even Ben run lots of hurry up now. It's here

Almost all the good NFL quarterbacks are really old.

Except Stafford, of course.
I honestly didn't even realize Brady was 38, peypey 39. brees 36 and Arod 31. Rodgers is technically older then all the above mentioned though because Munn is sucking his life force.

cdyhybrid

Run lots are the key words. I don't want it 100% of the time.

I personally want 3 yards and a cloud of dust smash mouth football. Now get off my damn lawn

No one is going to run it 100% of the time. It doesn't work.

Not even Oregon runs it 100% of the time. The key is changing tempo quickly at key moments where it will give you an advantage, not going 100MPH 100% of the time (that will just result in a lot of 30-second 3-and-outs and a gassed defense). Rushing to the line after a big chunk play, for example.

Run lots are the key words. I don't want it 100% of the time.

I personally want 3 yards and a cloud of dust smash mouth football. Now get off my damn lawn

It's so much more fun to watch than the traditional stuff in my opinion. Takes the focus off one/two people and puts it on the entire team. Especially makes offensive/defensive line play more interesting.

MechDX

No one is going to run it 100% of the time. It doesn't work.

Not even Oregon runs it 100% of the time. The key is changing tempo quickly at key moments where it will give you an advantage, not going 100MPH 100% of the time. Rushing to the line after a big chunk play, for example.

Im ok with that.

Will the Eagles make the playoffs this year? probably.
Then they will fail there. That shit don't work in the post season. Call me jaded from watching those early 90's Oilers run-n-shoot teams that were loaded with talent completely fail but historically it does not work

Top Bottom