• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 11 |OT| - A Fraud‘s Time

Line_HTX

I agree with what you said Albatross but no way is the NFC East worse than the AFC South

This. NFCE may be the most boring shit and should not be on nighttime, but the AFCS is way more of an awful dumpster fire. Hell, this shit was definitely worse than last year's NFCS.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
What kind of mashed potatoes you making?

51XRdL4rZVL._SX425_.jpg

RELAYER

Banned
Don't peel the potatoes you fucking plebs.
All the nutrients are in the skin and purely smooth mashed is gross, you need the little chunks in there so that when you eat it you aren't like "uhhh, do I chew?"

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Well you have to peel the potatoes which takes a while, then you boil them, then you use a mixer and blend them up. I dunno, maybe I'm just slow.

Wash and puncture some potatoes and put in a ziploc bag with a bit of water or covered in wet paper towel or anything like that and put it in the microwave for like 10-15 minutes.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Fantasy Football declining in popularity.

Pretty much.

The diehards for the most part will still be watching but it's the casual fan that affects this. If fantasy football isn't as fun anymore or loses it's appeal then you'll see a drop.

edit: I'm not even sure if a player flat out dying on the field would even cause a drop as severe as fantasy football not being played.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 34s34 seconds ago

Eagles officially ruled out Sam Bradford; Mark Sanchez starts Sunday vs. Buccaneers.

TheFatOne

Fantasy football somehow being banned is the only thing that would really plummet ratings.

Things like the catch rules, refs fucking up, and other things rule related won't make a long-term affect on the game because the NFL is proactive in making the game more watchable, especially compared to other sports organizations that refuse to change rules to improve the watchability of the games (MLB, I'm looking at you).

THe quality of the play being mediocre and the injuries are the biggest problems this season, but they're mostly unique to this season so I don't think they'll have a long term affect. I think the overall poor play compared to past years is indicative of how so many teams took the pre-season off. This pre-season was really the first one in ages where honestly no teams showed up for 4 games, no first team offense or defense played together at all, and so now teams are just starting to put together some semblance of cohesion.

An issue for many fans, though, is that the teams that are just now putting their seasons together are teams that nobody considers perenial powerhouses... Minnesota, Arizona, Cincinnati, and Houston* are leading their divisions, when everybody is expecting the powerhouses -- Green Bay, Seattle, Pittsburg/Baltimore, and Indianapolis* -- to be leading. So the narrative is "wow, play is really down because those three powerhouses are shit," but if you're a fan of Cincinatti, Carolina, and Arizona having remarkable years... that's a good thing, it gets more skin in the game and more fans interested. Hell, even Chicago and Jacksonville are quietly sneaking into the playoff conversation, something that hasn't happened in years.

But, some perennially excellent teams are fading. Baltimore is having the worst season they've had since moving to Baltimore. Dallas and Philly, the two teams that we're supposed to be competing for the NFC East title and two teams that some picked as Super Bowl dark horses, are in 3rd and 4th place in the worst division in the NFL.

Finally, from a player perspective, it hurts that Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Matt Ryan are having bad seasons. Even the untouchable Aaron Rodgers has looked human with Jordy Nelson out and a lack of a running game. Meanwhile, you're getting great seasons from less likely stars, Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton, and Cam Newton have been in the middle of the pack the last 3 - 5 years, but this year are at the top of their game. It's also worth throwing out there that one of the best QBs in the league, having a career year, is playing for the 2-7 San Diego Chargers, destined to leave for LA within the next 2 years.

All this is to say that the combination of shitty play from perennial league leading teams is making a lot of NFL fans who are fans of those teams jaded, while fans of recent loser teams are getting more interested as their teams play playoff relevant games in late November.

Oh yeah, Brady is still the GOAT and the Patriots are undefeated, but that didn't fit my narrative of powerhouses underperforming and star QBs having down seasons

There are some good things that have come out of this season:
  • An 18 game season seems out of the question for now. We're seeing what happens with a bad pre-season and a long season as it is. Injuries and bad performance with key players means you have Brock Osweiller, Matt Hasselbeck, and Mark Sanchez starting games this weekend.
  • The London experiment has been a real success, with most of the games being watchable this year AND the 9AM thing for every game is just awesome.
  • Thursday night football sucks and the NFL will not consider expanding game days. I'm hoping in 2016 they consider moving December Thursday Night games to Saturday night. It'll make the end of the season much better.
  • The Catch Rule will likely be totally re-written by 2017.
  • The NFL has uploaded highlights of games to YouTube thank god, so you can actually watch highlights in a functioning videoplayer as soon as a game is done
  • The NFL Around the League podcast has broken the shackles of it's old ~30 - 40 min format and opened up to be as long as it needs to be, thank god.

Lots of really great points here. I'm not sure if any one sport is untouchable, but I'm starting to believe the NFL is. Only thing I see taking the NFL down is that if the league is down every year for a long time. Having a bad year or two won't hurt the NFL. Having 8-9 bad years in a row might.

MechDX

Damn wienke bitching about peeling potatoes?

Peel potatoes with a potatoe peeler
Cut in eighths and boil with some sea salt
Mash with sour cream, butter and milk.
Mix with some shredded mozzarella and a little grated parmesan
Place in a greased 13 x 9 pan
Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
In the last 5 minutes sprinkle some panko bread crumbs on top and finish baking

Congrats you're done you lazy bastard

squicken

Expected, and good. No reason for him to rush back

Against lesser teams, Sanchez was quite good last year. That was with Maclin, Shady and the better guys on the OL, but he still looked good last week at times. I wonder, if he just plays amazing the next two games, would Chip then start him vs New England if Bradford were healthy? Would seem almost cruel to ever let Sanchez play the Patriots again

Against lesser teams, Sanchez was quite good last year. That was with Maclin, Shady and the better guys on the OL, but he still looked good last week at times. I wonder, if he just plays amazing the next two games, would Chip then start him vs New England if Bradford were healthy? Would seem almost cruel to ever let Sanchez play the Patriots again

Buttfumble II? I'm down.

Line_HTX

That Will Smith movie will be the downfall of the NFL.

More likely to be a downfall of his career.

Why his career? I remember an article, and I forget where, saying that this'll bring more attention to how they handled this and maybe bring some change.

cdyhybrid

Le Batard show talking about something we bring up often in here: the NFL product deteriorating, yet the ratings not.

The quality of play at the median is garbage
The QB and O-line play is WOAT
No one knows what the fuck a catch is anymore
Other various ref fuckups
Cats getting serious debilitating, life-changing injuries
Well-known employer of scumbags

And no one seems to care. We still guzzle it up like hotcakes.

Even trash matchups on Thursday nights are getting play.

So what event, singular or protracted over a period of time, could finally bring the league down?

Proof finally leaking that Goodell has been fixing games and rules for the Pats all these years.

this_guy

Damn wienke bitching about peeling potatoes?

Peel potatoes with a potatoe peeler
Cut in eighths and boil with some sea salt
Mash with sour cream, butter and milk.
Mix with some shredded mozzarella and a little grated parmesan
Place in a greased 13 x 9 pan
Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
In the last 5 minutes sprinkle some panko bread crumbs on top and finish baking

Congrats you're done you lazy bastard

For mashed potatoes that's fine. If you're going to make that appetizer that's posted you just finished the first ingredient and can now begin the actual appetizer. Too much work. I'd take Spin's ketchup rice instead of all that work.

Line_HTX

Booty Sanchez starting, Mathews and Sam Bradford are out. Jason Peters is questionable.

Ryan Beardharvard will start for Jets, and Buster Skrine, Sheldon Richardson are both questionable. Dion Bailey is out.

Line_HTX

Fat Lacy (groin) will be evaluated after today's practice. James Starks will get the team's first series and Lacy will get the second, McCarthy said. He'll see where they go from there.

TheFrza

I think one of the worst things to happen to the long term future of the NFL is the CBA they signed. Players are basically forbidden from practicing; especially tackling.

They have mandatory days off constantly and can only have one contact practice a week during the year. Offensive linemen coming out of school can't prepare enough, which is evident in the horrible line play this year, pretty much across the board.

I have a feeling that the game will continue to devolve and it will not be pretty in the near future.

Top Bottom