• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 13 |OT| - A Fraud Gorged on Thanksgiving

Saw video of Ron Rivera getting feisty with a reporter. I'm not sure I can recall a time where a coach and player have so dramatically altered the public opinion of them in a 2-3 year span.

Dragon

Banned
Saw video of Ron Rivera getting feisty with a reporter. I'm not sure I can recall a time where a coach and player have so dramatically altered the public opinion of them in a 2-3 year span.

Cam sure acts like an asshole on the field. I guess I would too if I threw like six touchdowns and had a shitty WR like Ted Ginn Jr drop two more.

Sounds like you could use some coffee, friend!

I'm a green tea guy. Don't like the taste of coffee (cofy). But I think you're right, do need some caffeine.

squicken

Austin and Murray were huge mistakes but Chip is not getting enough credit for the way he rebuilt the secondary. Signed Thurmond and Maxwell and drafted Rowe, meanwhile Cary and Fletcher are on the street.

I have (tepidly) defended Maxwell while people keep calling him a free agent bust. He is overpaid but it's not like Nnamdi where there are better street FAs out there. Murray is the bigger miss

rando14

Cam sure acts like an asshole on the field. I guess I would too if I threw like six touchdowns and had a shitty WR like Ted Ginn Jr drop two more.

I'm a green tea guy. Don't like the taste of coffee (cofy). But I think you're right, do need some caffeine.

Come visit Seattle friend, I will buy you your choice of any caffeinated beverage -- we've got good stuff here!!

(Not starbucks)

Well Cam is Cam, I'm not expecting much different from him. More so the fact that people in Carolina and abroad were beginning to suggest the Panthers move on from him, yet today he is in conversation for league MVP. Don't get me wrong I still think the Panther's O is playing well above its mean, but none the less the way the Panthers have solidified in the past three years is a real testament to the patience and planning of the organization to not give into some sort of Brown's-esque organizational cycle.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dr. Omalu, doctor who discovered CTE, says kids under 18 should not play high-impact sports like hockey or football:

Our children are minors who have not reached the age of consent. It is our moral duty as a society to protect the most vulnerable of us. The human brain becomes fully developed at about 18 to 25 years old. We should at least wait for our children to grow up, be provided with the information and education on the risk of play, and let them make their own decisions. No adult, not a parent or a coach, should be allowed to make this potentially life-altering decision for a child.

We have a legal age for drinking alcohol; for joining the military; for voting; for smoking; for driving; and for consenting to have sex. We must have the same when it comes to protecting the organ that defines who we are as human beings.

eznark

Banned
Trent Dilfer was just on the radio. Said "I don't think think the Broncos can win the Super Bowl with Osweiler".....

Trent Dilfer saying "I don't think X team can win the SB with Y QB" is my new favorite thing in football analysis.

Welp, just got my PS4 but I'm going to have to ignore it for a bit since I just a PS3 review copy. And no it's not a animu game, it's the most manly game ever created (it also has chicken races/breeding).

bionic77

Beast mode is yesterday's news. Meet the new Skittles spokesperson.

CVov4BOXIAAY576.jpg
Brown is going to end up as one of the best steelers ever.

Really hope he gets a ring in Pittsburgh. Totally deserves it. Unless the defender is cheating you just can't guard him. He makes everyone look foolish and makes playing receiver look really easy. Reminds me of Rice in that way.

Well fuck...I forgot about the deadline to apply for college transfer for next fall, it was last week :/ I still have course I can take though so it's not that big of a deal but still I was hoping to transfer by fall next year :(

So you want football and hockey to end? b/c no one is just going to start playing a sport at 18 they have never played it before

for minors yes. And to be honest, I feel a little uneasy about college kids playing and scrambling their brains for free. If it's proven that an activity has long term health risks, parents shouldn't shove their kids into it at pee wee or even high school age. If that means the NFL dies off so be it. Obviously that will never happen though because the NFL has way too much money and influence.

gutshot

I have (tepidly) defended Maxwell while people keep calling him a free agent bust. He is overpaid but it's not like Nnamdi where there are better street FAs out there. Murray is the bigger miss

Yeah, Maxwell is definitely getting paid higher than his talent level dictates, but he was still the best option on the market last season and the Eagles desperately needed an upgrade at CB. He also was a perfect match in terms of body type and play style for Billy's scheme. It was clear the Eagles targeted him early in the process and did what they had to do to ensure they got him.

Murray was more of a luxury purchase and a "hey, why the hell not?" situation, which never sat well with me.

squicken

for minors yes. And to be honest, I feel a little uneasy about college kids playing and scrambling their brains for free. If it's proven that an activity has long term health risks, parents shouldn't shove their kids into it at pee wee or even high school age. If that means the NFL dies off so be it. Obviously that will never happen though because the NFL has way too much money and influence.

So the NFL is using its massive power and greed to knowingly scramble the brains of babies and your team is using a racial epithet as its nickname, but you are tuning in tonight to watch the product?

I'm baffled by the conclusion you drew there.

Most NFL players are either encouraged or shuttered into playing football from a very young age. By the time they get old enough to maturely assess the risks of what they are doing to their long term health, it's become their livelihood. Their way to earn a living or get through college. That decision should not be one for them to make when they are under age.

So the NFL is using its massive power and greed to knowingly scramble the brains of babies and your team is using a racial epithet as its nickname, but you are tuning in tonight to watch the product?

I never claimed to have any shame.

What I think can happen to Football is sort of similar to what has happened to boxing over the last 50 years. People who are well off or affluent will stop playing it or pushing their kids into playing. This will cause a pretty big hit to the talent pool that is fed into the NFL.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

that escalated quickly...

Dragon

Banned
Come visit Seattle friend, I will buy you your choice of any caffeinated beverage -- we've got good stuff here!!

(Not starbucks)

I was thinking about going to Seattle and Vancouver next fourth of July actually! It's either that or I do a bigger trip to Iceland/Japan. Can't decide!

I will definitely try any local coffee places, but I'm not gonna give my money to Starbucks in place like Seattle. Seems nuts!

Well Cam is Cam, I'm not expecting much different from him. More so the fact that people in Carolina and abroad were beginning to suggest the Panthers move on from him, yet today he is in conversation for league MVP. Don't get me wrong I still think the Panther's O is playing well above its mean, but none the less the way the Panthers have solidified in the past three years is a real testament to the patience and planning of the organization to not give into some sort of Brown's-esque organizational cycle.

Jonathan Stewart, a dude who is given almost no credit, is a top five RB in the NFL, at least this year. Being able to have him, Tolbert and Cam on 3rd or 4th and short makes them virtually impossible to stop. That naked bootleg yesterday was a thing of beauty.

They also have one of the best TEs in football. And yeah, their WR are awful. There is a ton of talent on the defensive side, but I agree. They could have given up on Cam and they would be what the Redskins are. Mired in mediocrity with a bunch of below average QBs like Cousins, who will win some games in a very shitty NFL, but not get you to the next level. The Panthers are Super Bowl favorites (although if I had to pick I'd go with the Cardinals out of the NFC at this point).

Yep. It could have been really easy last year when they were dogging it through the season to point fingers and move people on... A lot of franchises to this. Last year around this same time, Carolina had won only 1 of their previous 10 games, was 3 - 8 - 1 and Derek Anderson led them to a come-from-behind win against Tampa Bay when Newton was sidelined after that car accident.

Had they lost that game or lost the next week against Cleveland when Newton led them from behind (which incidentally bumped Cleveland from the playoff picture), then the franchise could be very different. But, they won those two games against bad teams and made the playoffs despite a losing record.

And now they're 12 - 0 and missing their top offensive weapon for Newton, Newton should be leading the MVP race, Ron Rivera is in line for coach of the year. Meanwhile, the team they beat last year that was looking to make the playoffs after a huge slump, Cleveland, is going to have a new head coach, is not going to have a quarterback, has nothing on offense or defense, is is poised to have another 5 years of horrid football.

Cincinatti is the best example of a franchise that does not shake things up whenever a season doesn't go quite right... And I think they should be a model for other mediocre franchises from the last 10, 15 years, who cycle coaches and quarterbacks unless they're dominant. Marvin Lewis deserves a lot of criticism for his coaching in the playoffs, BUT Cinci has stuck with him and Dalton, and they have the pieces to make a deep run in the playoffs... and potentially will lock up the #1 seed if they beat Denver in a couple weeks. Cleveland needs to look in-state for an example of how to run a franchise.

Well fuck...I forgot about the deadline to apply for college transfer for next fall, it was last week :/ I still have course I can take though so it's not that big of a deal but still I was hoping to transfer by fall next year :(

It's never too late. My first job post-grad was in college admissions/enrollment, and almost every deadline on earth when it comes to applying, transferring, and doing anything, is flexible. Give the Admissions office a call and ask if you can speak to the Admissions Counselor who handles transfer students. Explain some story that it was end of the semester, you had finals, and you totally whiffed on the application date and ask if you get everything in by this weekend if they can extend it for you. IF somebody made that call to the school I worked at, there would be no chance they'd say "sorry, gotta wait till next year pal." Chances are, they want the enrollment money as much as you want to transfer schools.

Yeah I dont get the hate that the Maxwell deal gets at all. Nnamdi could tackle and wouldnt even try to cover guys, at least Maxwell gets close to his guy and tries to make plays. His problem is he is to aggressive and gets a bunch of flags. Very few CB's are good tacklers, so I dont care about that at all. Eagles had a ton of cap room and desperately needed an upgrade at corner. I am so glad that they signed Maxwell.

eznark

Banned
Most NFL players are either encouraged or shuttered into playing football from a very young age. By the time they get old enough to maturely assess the risks of what they are doing to their long term health, it's become their livelihood. Their way to earn a living or get through college. That decision should not be one for them to make when they are under age.

As with every other activity for someone under 18, the legal guardians are making the decision.

As for adults, well....they know the risks. There are no football players, outside of SEC and Ohio State players, whose livelihood is football before they are 18.

If you think the activities are too risky then say you think they should be outlawed. Don't pussy foot around.

Kids don't know the risks. No matter how much you try and lie about it, unless you tell a 10 year old their brain will likely be fucked up playing football, they don't know that.
Right, parents do. As with every other decision made for a 10 year old. They don't get to pick.

As with every other activity for someone under 18, the legal guardians are making the decision.

As for adults, well....they know the risks. There are no football players, outside of SEC and Ohio State players, whose livelihood is football before they are 18.

If you think the activities are too risky then say you think they should be outlawed. Don't pussy foot around.

Right, parents do. As with every other decision made for a 10 year old. They don't get to pick.

So what you're saying is it's stupid to play the "they [players, aka kids in this situation] know the risks" card

But at some point is there behavior that is potentially so risky/dangerous that even parents should not be able to opt their kids into it? If more study is done and football is determined to be that dangerous, I mean?

eznark

Banned
So what you're saying is it's stupid to play the "they [players, aka kids in this situation] know the risks" card

If someone has ever said that about a 10 year old they should probably get checked for CTE.

Ninja wasn't talking about kids, thank god. He was making the as baffling argument that what you do as a kid locks you into a certain career.

But at some point is there behavior that is potentially so risky/dangerous that even parents should not be able to opt their kids into it? If more study is done and football is determined to be that dangerous, I mean?
Yes. Parents should not be able to opt their kids into Belichick's pedophile ring for instance.

That said, given what we know right now if my son or daughter wanted to play hockey or football I'd have no problem. In fact, they are both getting skates this year. And golf clubs...just in case those studies start to indicate adorable 5 year old gently running into each other causes concussions.

bionic77

I agree with some of what Ninja is saying.

I don't like for NFL players to have brain damage or any other permanent type of injury, but at least they are paid for it. There are a lot of dangerous professions and a lot of those workers get a lot less for their hassle.

The real problem with the concussions to me has always been the minors. But as long as you get a ton of pussy for playing football boys are always going to want to play it unless it is banned completely.

As ez says though the only thing you can do about it is ban it completely because we have so many shitty parents out there. Either that or make it flag or touch until college.

Dragon

Banned
I agree with some of what Ninja is saying.

I don't like for NFL players to have brain damage or any other permanent type of injury, but at least they are paid for it. There are a lot of dangerous professions and a lot of those workers get a lot less for their hassle.

The real problem with the concussions to me has always been the minors. But as long as you get a ton of pussy for playing football boys are always going to want to play it unless it is banned completely.

As ez says though the only thing you can do about it is ban it completely because we have so many shitty parents out there. Either that or make it flag or touch until college.

I think you have to hope that enough research and money gets invested in the safety of young people playing these sports that the problem is ultimately handled. Because there is absolutely no way that it's going to change based on the amount of money in college and professional football.

eznark

Banned
I think you have to hope that enough research and money gets invested in the safety of young people playing these sports that the problem is ultimately handled. Because there is absolutely no way that it's going to change based on the amount of money in college and professional football.

This is just complete bullshit though. Concussions have only been taken serious for about 8 years and we have a dozen major universities pouring tons of money into research, leagues making significant chances to rules and equipment, youth organizations spending tons of (donated) money to educate coaches.

To pretend nothing is being done concussions is flat ignorant.

Trent Dilfer was just on the radio. Said "I don't think think the Broncos can win the Super Bowl with Osweiler".....

Trent Dilfer saying "I don't think X team can win the SB with Y QB" is my new favorite thing in football analysis.
If his next sentence had Peyton Manning and "best chance to win" then I don't believe Dilfer watches football.

MechDX

Cardinals/Eagles game in Week 15 has been flexed into the Sunday night primetime spot. Bengals/49ers moves to 4pm on CBS

I'm fine with either. Only benefits in my opinion.

If it's banned completely, you never have to hear about Goodell, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy, etc again

If it's not banned and safety changes are made for youths, we get to see flag football (aka Best Football) televised nationally at long last

Talk about a win-win situation

eznark

Banned
Personally I look forward to Belichick's attempts to prove that he is not a pedophile. I will gladly go to court to finally find out the truth about Belichick's monstrous little boy cravings.

I've never wanted my kids to play football. I'm definitely going to raise them into basketball (the sport I always played), but I also suspect they'll play hockey as kids because my in laws are a hockey family. That said if they want to play football then I wouldn't stop them. I played football for a year in HS and it wasn't because my parents encouraged me to (my mother was the opposite, actively discouraged it), and I'd imagine my kids would probably be the same.

I've never wanted my kids to play football. I'm definitely going to raise them into basketball (the sport I always played), but I also suspect they'll play hockey as kids because my in laws are a hockey family.

For basketball you are taking a chance if they never grow. Just get them throwing baseballs left handed. That's like an automatic job for life.

Top Bottom