• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 3 |OT| - A Fraud Finds His League

Murray is not better than Shady in your scheme. You guys downgraded at RB. Foles > Bradford, another downgrade. Maclin > Matthews.

I could not disagree more about Foles being better then Bradford. Foles is garbage. Bradford might be garbage as well but it was definitely worth rolling the dice there. Shady lead the league in negative yardage plays the last 2 years, we will hopefully see what Murray can do at somepoint this year but I think he is a much better fit for this scheme if they can get the OL figured out. Losing Maclin is a downgrade but he wanted to sign somewhere else. They brought in Aghlor, who can hopefully replace a lot of that production. We will see how that works out. It is funny to me that some many people in this thread say WRs are not worth big money, but then want to kill Chip for not going over $10m a year for Maclin.

How can people who watch football in all honesty think the Bradford for Foles trade was a good move for the Eagles? HOW

Because Foles sucks. Bradford is an unknown but he has physical tools that Foles doesnt. The hope was that if he stays healthy he would be a huge upgrade over Foles. Foles just had a game where he had 150 yards against the Skins, how could anyone want him as the QB of their team?

I could not disagree more about Foles being better then Bradford. Foles is garbage. Bradford might be garbage as well but it was definitely worth rolling the dice there. Shady lead the league in negative yardage plays the last 2 years, we will hopefully see what Murray can do at somepoint this year but I think he is a much better fit for this scheme if they can get the OL figured out. Losing Maclin is a downgrade but he wanted to sign somewhere else. They brought in Aghlor, who can hopefully replace a lot of that production. We will see how that works out. It is funny to me that some many people in this thread say WRs are not worth big money, but then want to kill Chip for not going over $10m a year for Maclin.

Because Foles sucks. Bradford is an unknown but he has physical tools that Foles doesnt. The hope was that if he stays healthy he would be a huge upgrade over Foles. Foles just had a game where he had 150 yards against the Skins, how could anyone want him as the QB of their team?
You say Foles sucks and in a lot of ways I agree, but ask yourself this: Will Bradford ever have a season as good as Foles' 27/2 year?

A lot of teams are playoff contenders. When was the last time you won a playoff game? Have you won one this decade? Let's start with that
Palmer has been on this team three seasons now. The following comment for season 1 isn't an excuse of any sort, I'm merely marking our progress. First season was his first on the team with a new coach, system and teammates. It took a while to get Arians' playbook down and we STILL got 10 wins in a division with the Chickens and a at the time, good Niners team. Nice start. The next year, Palmer plays 6 games and the team still makes it to 11 wins and the playoffs, again, in a division with the Chickens. We were on top of the entire league most of the season until even our backup QB went down. This shows that we have solid depth and a quality team with good coaching. It also shows progress towards being a really good team.

Palmer went undefeated in the games he played last year and thus far is this year as well. We have even better depth and have addressed one of our greatest weaknesses of last year: rushing attack (31st in the league) by signing Iupati, Chris Johnson, and drafting David Johnson. Ellington and the Johnson duo gives us quality backs and great depth. David Johnson is only going to get better as he gets more time on the field and Iupati is going to be a colossal upgrade over Ted fucking Larsen. He will be better at pass protection than Larsen and MUCH MUCH better at run blocking. We've been very successful running the first two weeks against bad defenses. Iupati will allow us to be successful on the ground against good ones. John Brown showed some real talent last year and will be even more comfortable this year. If you look at the stats, you won't see what he did against the Bears but he drew two massive PI penalties that were huge for those drives. We finally have competent TEs in Fells and Gresham even if Gresham namely blocks. Palmer did a special workout regimen to strengthen his shoulder and it shows, he has more velocity in his throws and has been even more accurate plus just having him play over Stanton is huge. There's plenty of rational reasons to expect us to be even better this year and looking at our schedule, very realistic to get at least 12 wins. Only truly tough games are the two against the chickens, Packers, and Steelers. There's a chance Philly could be a different team by the time we play them, however.

Anyway, point being is Arians and Keim have really turned this ship around and we're talented enough perennially make the playoffs now and once there, anything can happen. On top of that, we have enough talent on both sides of the ball to beat any team in the league. Anyone. That's half the battle, giving yourself a chance, the other is executing. I will be nervous and excited to play the four aforementioned games. Very possible we lose all four but also possible we win them. I'd say we take two of those for sure, maybe three with a little luck. Too early to say.
Cardinals with a healthy Palmer are the only scary team in the NFC.
I already stated the Chickens and Packers are favorites over us. Try harder.
Seahawks suck so much FMT has to resort to shit talking the Cards.

What a shitty time to be alive.

We talk shit every year. I enjoy talking shit with both FMT and Cdy each year.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It's pretty amazing how optimism and hope can go down the drain when your QB is hurt. Stafford is not out for the season but by the sound of his injuries I'm amazed he's even going through walkthroughs at today's practice.

But when it was all over, he walked gingerly to his remote corner of the locker room. He took off his long-sleeve shirt. And the wounds became impossible to miss.

There was a blood-soaked bandage on his left forearm, near the elbow. He began picking at a bandage around his left wrist. His throwing arm looked beat up too. It's no wonder he put on long sleeves for that press conference.

The big toe on his left foot was blue.

Two toes on his right foot were taped.

Players began filing out of the locker room, one after another, leaving behind bottles and trash and banana peels. But Stafford just kept sitting there in the corner, breathing just right, trying to soothe his battered ribs.

He had X-rays for those ribs. There's no word on the results.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/09/column_matthew_stafford_hurtin.html

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/21/nfl-week-2-seattle-seahawks-monday-morning-quarterback

No word yet on his ribs but Stafford stays quiet about his injuries.

The interior of the line is fine it's at the tackle positions we're getting killed. Today backup RT Cornellius Lucas blamed "communication" which is probably code for coaching staff. Stafford throwing the ball over 50 times, while hurt, and still being the leading rusher after all our RBs combined is reminiscent of our 2012 season.

At this point I'm pretty close to being in favor of shutting Stafford down for the rest of the season. 1.) So he doesn't get a career threatening injury. 2.) So Lions fans actually see how bad we are without him.

See what happens when Dan Orlowsky throws the ball 50 times.

I had hope of beating the Broncos after our 0-2 start at home but after reading about how hurt Stafford is I doubt he makes it through the first half.

You say Foles sucks and in a lot of ways I agree, but ask yourself this: Will Bradford ever have a season as good as Foles' 27/2 year?

No definitely not, but that was such an aberration. Last year the Eagles missed the playoffs and Foles had several terrible games, before going down with an injury. He is slow, had a slow release, and makes terrible decisions. Bradford might not be any better, but they at least had to take a chance. Foles had 3 years in the league to show that he could be a consistently good QB and he couldnt do it. Give me the unknown that maybe could be good, over the guy that I know wont be.

brentech

It's pretty amazing how optimism and hope can go down the drain when your QB is hurt. Stafford is not out for the season but by the sound of his injuries I'm amazed he's even going through walkthroughs at today's practice.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/09/column_matthew_stafford_hurtin.html

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/21/nfl-week-2-seattle-seahawks-monday-morning-quarterback

The interior of the line is fine it's at the tackle positions we're getting killed. Today backup RT Cornellius Lucas blamed "communication" which is probably code for coaching staff. Stafford throwing the ball over 50 times, while hurt, and still being the leading rusher after all our RBs combined is reminiscent of our 2012 season.

At this point I'm pretty close to being in favor of shutting Stafford down for the rest of the season. 1.) So he doesn't get a career threatening injury. 2.) So Lions fans actually see how bad we are without him.

I had hope of beating the Broncos after our 0-2 start at home but after reading about how hurt Stafford is I doubt he makes it through the first half.
You can tell his teammates really respect him as a person and player.

Hindl

Who knows? He was playing behind the league's best O line that year and had all day to throw. In 2014 he didn't have that, and he regressed to a mediocre average QB. And 27-2 mattered a lot in the playoff game against the Saints. But let's assume Bradford sucks equally as badly as Foles, if not worse. He didn't sign a contract, so what do the Eagles lose? Foles wasn't gonna get it done, so Chip tried with Bradford. We'll see how the rest of the year goes, but the Eagles can just get rid of him at the end of the year and try to figure something else out

Still not seeing the avatar.

I watch most of the Rams games and I can tell you for a fact that A.) Bradford is not an unknown and B.) His physical tools consist of them breaking down within three weeks of kick off. Eagles would be better off with a guy who knew the system and when healthy didn't play like he was afraid.

cdyhybrid

The bet was with Slo, not BannedEpisode. Slo and I are discussing the avatar.

3UWjXWC.png

No definitely not, but that was such an aberration. Last year the Eagles missed the playoffs and Foles had several terrible games, before going down with an injury. He is slow, had a slow release, and makes terrible decisions. Bradford might not be any better, but they at least had to take a chance. Foles had 3 years in the league to show that he could be a consistently good QB and he couldnt do it. Give me the unknown that maybe could be good, over the guy that I know wont be.
Yeah that's fair. That one season looks crazier and crazier as time goes on. Good ol' nutty NFL.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

If your'e setting the bar at fucking Dan Orlovsky and him throwing the ball 50 times no less, then of course the Lions are going to be more asscheeks than usual compared to having Stafford.

I don't think seeing Orlovsky play is going to change the opinion of any Lions fan who is already done with Stafford.

:jnc

How can people who watch football in all honesty think the Bradford for Foles trade was a good move for the Eagles? HOW

Chip thinks he's a football god..still early but after 2 weeks he's looking more like a fraud..

Cut DeSean Jury still out on this move...

Traded Shady for a player coming off an ACL and it looks like he's has another ACL injury, trade looks BAD..

Cut Evan Mathis, current guards on the team isn't good enough to hold Mathis jock strap, another bad move by Chip.

Traded Foles for another injured player coming off an ACL, Foles knew the offense, Badford looks horrile..

Chips got rid of good play makers to build his own team, and it seems like this is back firing on him, should have Kept Reid's players and won..you think Jon Gruden is disappoint in winning a SB with Tony Dungen players? hahaha

Which one of these Career stats strikes you as the more unknown player with potential?

CRPLOk0.png

HoiGTdO.png

Really? I'm so used to his trolling that I didn't even consider it. If so, sorry, EZ! Appreciate the respect (as if I'm part of the team jnc)

It's like he trolled me without trolling...
Yeah I'm pretty sure he wasn't joking. Cardinals deserve some respect, Arians is probably the best coach in the league (maybe second behind he who shall not be named) and the roster has a lot of talent and depth. Their success hinges on Palmer's health, I think.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I want to make an argument here but I am having a hard time finding data for the contract situations for the last SBs for both the Steelers and the Giants.

I would argue that all of the teams with established QBs that pay them huge dollars have so small a remaining budget that there is no chance they can put a competent team together for a SB run.

Flacco, and Russell were extended after their championship runs. Eli and Ben won their first pair on cheap deals. Rodgers, Romo, and Rivers all cost way too much. Elway is somehow working magic for their salary cap and the Pats are the Pats.

I said the same shit last year. The Giants are clearly suffering both from incompetence from Jerry Reese and and lack of cap space.

RBH

Orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews examined the MRI scans for New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and confirmed the original diagnosis: that Brees has a bruised rotator cuff but there is no indication of a tear, a source told ESPN's Ed Werder.

As a result, Brees said there is a "reasonable possibility'' he can play Sunday against the Carolina Panthers, according to the source, but a determination for his availability for practice and the game will be determined as the week evolves.

Andrews told Brees his rehab program this week is critical to making a quick and complete recovery, the source said. Andrews also compared the MRI performed Monday to the one Brees had at the end of last season. Brees ended up playing through that shoulder injury.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...uff-new-orleans-saints-quarterback-drew-brees

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If your'e setting the bar at fucking Dan Orlovsky and him throwing the ball 50 times no less, then of course the Lions are going to be more asscheeks than usual compared to having Stafford.

I don't think seeing Orlovsky play is going to change the opinion of any Lions fan who is already done with Stafford.

The stats are there in terms of how badly the team performs when Stafford gets hurried/hit:

With all that pressure leaking through from his blind side, it's no wonder Matthew Stafford is falling apart two weeks into the season. He's faced more pressure than any quarterback not named Colin Kaepernick this season, and not handled it well, with his QB rating at 43.1 on those plays. It's 102.5 when he's clean. So, maybe the Lions should figure out a way to keep him clean more often.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/09/3_things_we_learned_about_the_31.html

I know Stafford can ball and I think we can beat the Broncos at home next week with a healthy Stafford. But by the sound of things Stafford is probably done for the season which means the Lions are done for the season.

On the bright spot, from the article, Eric Ebron is finally developing into what we had hoped when we drafted him.

I said the same shit last year. The Giants are clearly suffering both from incompetence from Jerry Reese and and lack of cap space.
You might have had an argument before the cap increase. Specifically when we were just post-CBA but the cap sits at over 143 million and will continue to increase.

The Giants have 14.8 million worth of cap money tied up in Jason Pierre-Paul right now. Eli will account for 14.5 million worth of that cap space in 2015. Next year a little over 24 million.

24 million out of 140+ million as the cap continues to rise. The team currently has 14 million in cap space as we speak with nearly a million coming off of the books each week JPP isn't playing. Next year with a 143 million dollar cap, the Giants will have 32 million to spend if the current contracts move forward. That's if the cap holds still. It's projected to increase to 150 million. So make that nearly 40 million in space if the projection is right. Not to mention the cap is mostly an illusion for teams that want to take advantage of moving cap space forward and that get creative with their contracts.

The Giants are suffering from years of risky and poor drafting right now. Plain and simple. That's far more of an issue than any cap restrictions. Just last season they went on a very un-Giants like spending spree because of that lack of talent. They weren't struggling with cap space then to sign the players they wanted to sign. They wanted Mccourty at safety this off-season and offered him 10 million/yr to get him. He stayed in New England. They offered Brandon Graham a bigger money contract than what the Eagles were offering reportedly - he wanted to stay in Philly.

As poor as the Giants have been drafting from 2009-2012, I feel like the last 2-3 drafts have been a step in the right direction. It takes time to rebuild a roster. Especially when you're already behind 3 years.

I know Stafford can ball and I think we can beat the Broncos at home next week with a healthy Stafford. But by the sound of things Stafford is probably done for the season which means the Lions are done for the season.
Even a healthy Stafford wouldn't prevent what that Denver D would do to him.

Zeke

Goddamn I fear for him in his later years once he retires
He might be but he's been pretty healthy. Hes missed one game and that was after he broke his jaw. He was back the next week. I think only London Fletcher has more consecutive games.

Lombardi needs to be fired. You cannot sit back and watch your QB get killed because of your shitty offense. Granted some is on Matthew - he's calling protection and clearly failing. On the other hand the players have to be able to fucking block, and they can't. Lucas is gonna get cut at the end of the season. Maybe Waddle coming back against Denver can fix RT. Hopefully Warford is 100% for Sunday as well; he didn't have a good game against Minnesota but that was his first game back after injury. He'll be fine.

Seriously though, fire Lombardi. Why are we throwing 3 WRs out there 90% of the time? Fuller is useless and hasn't seen one pass his way. Why the fuck can't we put Riddick or Abdullah in the slot, or even out wide? Do something interesting for a change. That ugly fumble aside, Riddick makes good things happen when he gets the ball. So get him the ball more. All offseason we heard about how amazing Abdullah looked in the receiving game. Why not use him?

Hell give me a 2 back set with Riddick and Abdullah.

Palmer has been on this team three seasons now. The following comment for season 1 isn't an excuse of any sort, I'm merely marking our progress. First season was his first on the team with a new coach, system and teammates. It took a while to get Arians' playbook down and we STILL got 10 wins in a division with the Chickens and a at the time, good Niners team. Nice start. The next year, Palmer plays 6 games and the team still makes it to 11 wins and the playoffs, again, in a division with the Chickens. We were on top of the entire league most of the season until even our backup QB went down. This shows that we have solid depth and a quality team with good coaching. It also shows progress towards being a really good team.

Palmer went undefeated in the games he played last year and thus far is this year as well. We have even better depth and have addressed one of our greatest weaknesses of last year: rushing attack (31st in the league) by signing Iupati, Chris Johnson, and drafting David Johnson. Ellington and the Johnson duo gives us quality backs and great depth. David Johnson is only going to get better as he gets more time on the field and Iupati is going to be a colossal upgrade over Ted fucking Larsen. He will be better at pass protection than Larsen and MUCH MUCH better at run blocking. We've been very successful running the first two weeks against bad defenses. Iupati will allow us to be successful on the ground against good ones. John Brown showed some real talent last year and will be even more comfortable this year. If you look at the stats, you won't see what he did against the Bears but he drew two massive PI penalties that were huge for those drives. We finally have competent TEs in Fells and Gresham even if Gresham namely blocks. Palmer did a special workout regimen to strengthen his shoulder and it shows, he has more velocity in his throws and has been even more accurate plus just having him play over Stanton is huge. There's plenty of rational reasons to expect us to be even better this year and looking at our schedule, very realistic to get at least 12 wins. Only truly tough games are the two against the chickens, Packers, and Steelers. There's a chance Philly could be a different team by the time we play them, however.

Anyway, point being is Arians and Keim have really turned this ship around and we're talented enough perennially make the playoffs now and once there, anything can happen. On top of that, we have enough talent on both sides of the ball to beat any team in the league. Anyone. That's half the battle, giving yourself a chance, the other is executing. I will be nervous and excited to play the four aforementioned games. Very possible we lose all four but also possible we win them. I'd say we take two of those for sure, maybe three with a little luck. Too early to say.

I already stated the Chickens and Packers are favorites over us. Try harder.

We talk shit every year. I enjoy talking shit with both FMT and Cdy each year.

Win a playoff game and I'll give you some props

The stats are there in terms of how badly the team performs when Stafford gets hurried/hit:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/09/3_things_we_learned_about_the_31.html

On the bright spot, from the article, Eric Ebron is finally developing into what we had hoped when we drafted him.

Kap :(

Fuck our Oline is so horrible

Which one of these Career stats strikes you as the more unknown player with potential?

CRPLOk0.png

HoiGTdO.png

Jesus fucking christ you cant be serious. Look at the talent that Foles had around him and the system he was in, and next look at what Bradford had to work with. One guy was drafted first overall and one guy went in the third round. Do you really think that every single GM in the NFL is a stone moron and passed on Foles twice out of incompetence? Nick Foles is garbage, Sam Bradford might be garbage but it was worth a shot to see if a better system might help him play better. Eagles traded a 2nd round pick to get a guy that might have some up side. Out of all the moves Chip made this one is the least questionable. No team was just going to give them a a great QB out of the kindness of their hearts.

eznark

Banned
I want to make an argument here but I am having a hard time finding data for the contract situations for the last SBs for both the Steelers and the Giants.

I would argue that all of the teams with established QBs that pay them huge dollars have so small a remaining budget that there is no chance they can put a competent team together for a SB run.

Flacco, and Russell were extended after their championship runs. Eli and Ben won their first pair on cheap deals. Rodgers, Romo, and Rivers all cost way too much. Elway is somehow working magic for their salary cap and the Pats are the Pats.

So your stance is that the 2014 packers weren't superrbowl contenders?

Top Bottom