• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 3 |OT| - A Fraud Finds His League

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Seahawks have a ton of players wanting money or that have big deals.

They signed him to a 4 year deal and he's complaining about year 2.

If guys want money hit Free agency or trust your skillset like Revis.

I keep forgetting which famous athlete it was who basically said that he just worries about playing ball and he lets the agent worry about the money. Basically just play well and you'll get paid well.

I thought it was common knowledge Favre did fuck all to help Rodgers?

Apparently not! Hence why I was confused

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

this is funny given Revis held out in like year 2 of a multiyear contract.

eznark

Banned
You can learn from more than direct communication.

Whatever, if you think learning behind McCown in Cleveland is more beneficial to a QB than learning behind Favre in GB, considering all factors, we should just stop this discussion.

And yet Rodgers still appeared to learn from Favre just by watching him (Rodgers does some pretty identical Favre-esque stuff while still avoiding a lot of the bad Favre traits). What in the blue hell is Manziel going to learn from watching Josh McCown that he wouldn't learn by just playing? Also the idea that someone would learn more from backing up Josh McCown than Brett Favre is straight up crazy talk.

Guys like Josh McCown aer so ludicrously undervalued. Watch him play. Go back and watch him with the Bears. When he has time and good talent around him he makes good decisions. Obviously you want your starting QB to make the team better and not rely on everyone else being good so he is a shitty starter, but he's an insanely valuable teacher.

Think of guys like Ty Detmer and Doug Pedersen. They lacked essentially any physical talent, but they are intelligent football players and help people around them understand the game better.

I don't think anyone would say that Manziel doesn't do enough improvisational bullshit. That's all he has. There is nothing that Favre did that Manziel needs to learn. Fuck he doesn't have near the arm strength to pull it off anyway.

What Manziel needs to learn is how to read a defense, how to check, how to scan a field, how to manage games and situations. He has the improvisational, instinctual feel of the game down as well as anyone could it seems. He needs to learn how to play quarterback.

If you want to learn how to play the quarterback position, I can think of few Big Name Quarterbacks worse to study than Brett Favre.

Also the idea that someone would learn more from backing up Josh McCown than Brett Favre is straight up crazy talk.
Personally I think this shows a fundamental lack of understanding of Brett Favre's skill set and the quarterback position. Favre has said (probably talking bullshit to perpetuate the aw shucks, but he never studied film so it may be true) that he didn't understand the difference between a cover 3 and cover 2 til 2002. He can't teach you shit. He played with feel and his rocket arm let him do it.

Sephzilla

Guys like Josh McCown aer so ludicrously undervalued. Watch him play. Go back and watch him with the Bears. When he has time and good talent around him he makes good decisions. Obviously you want your starting QB to make the team better and not rely on everyone else being good so he is a shitty starter, but he's an insanely valuable teacher.

Think of guys like Ty Detmer and Doug Pedersen. They lacked essentially any physical talent, but they are intelligent football players and help people around them understand the game better.

I don't think anyone would say that Manziel doesn't do enough improvisational bullshit. That's all he has. There is nothing that Favre did that Manziel needs to learn. Fuck he doesn't have near the arm strength to pull it off anyway.

What Manziel needs to learn is how to read a defense, how to check, how to scan a field, how to manage games and situations. He has the improvisational, instinctual feel of the game down as well as anyone could it seems. He needs to learn how to play quarterback.

If you want to learn how to play the quarterback position, I can think of few Big Name Quarterbacks worse to study than Brett Favre.

This applies to 85% of quarterbacks in the league, though.

Zeke

Jesus Julio has 42% of Ryan's completions and passing yards. He just might murder the secondary Sunday afternoon.

eznark

Banned
This applies to 85% of quarterbacks in the league, though.

Guess who falls into the 15% right now? Manziel.

well, i think in a few years he'll be in the spot McCown is in - a guy who's plugging a hole that a potentially more talented QB could be filling
In a few years Manziel will either have figured it out and be starting or he'll be doing autograph sessions with Tebow. He's too football-dumb to be an old backup QB if he can't hack it as a starter.

Sephzilla

Guess who falls into the 15% right now? Manziel.

gxR3dKI.gif

You got me there

Spinluck

I clicked this link and then I remembered I couldn't give a fuck what Cowherd thinks and closed the page before the page loaded.

You should have at least listened to the terrible points he made. Seems like a guy that should get punched in the face often.

He associates taking risk, and taking chances in all the wrong ways. As if Luck should be taking risk down 7 or 10 in the first Q against Ryan Fitzpatrick when his defense is playing is actually playing decent. Sometimes it's not even a matter of those things, but just making horrible decisions and he calls those risk.

Then reads off a list of guys who have more INTs than he does. As if you cannot move the ball without minimizing turnovers. I do agree with him that I don't want Luck playing scared. But so far this season he hasn't looked confident in his throws. Needs to work on accuracy.

Fox318

this is funny given Revis held out in like year 2 of a multiyear contract.

a)he was on his rookie deal with the first holdout
b)in his second deal with the bucs he took a zero money guaranteed deal
c)his deal with the pats was a 2 year deal. If the pats wanted him they could have made the cap room

Kam signed a 4 year deal after his rookie deal then reneged after the first year.

Right. Seahawks pretty much had the leverage in this situation. He's under contract. So if Kam wanted more money he had to be willing to hold out and he did. The Seahawks are 0-2 at the moment which puts him in a bit better of a position to come in and end the hold out. From reports there are no deals in place between the two parties. It would make almost zero sense for the Seahawks to get into a shit fest over 2.1 million in fines that were going to be paid out anyway. They reduce/remove the fine and get back a core player to their defense. Maybe even throw in an extra bit of cash to make it look like both parties came out of it "winning".

Whether you have a distaste for the situation or not is inconsequential. It's amusing you bring up Revis who is the fucking /master/ at maximizing his contract dollars via holdout in the past. Can't hate on Kam for wanting to do the same. These guys have a limited time to get paid and Kam is in the middle of his prime.

Personally I think this shows a fundamental lack of understanding of Brett Favre's skill set and the quarterback position. Favre has said (probably talking bullshit to perpetuate the aw shucks, but he never studied film so it may be true) that he didn't understand the difference between a cover 3 and cover 2 til 2002. He can't teach you shit. He played with feel and his rocket arm let him do it.
Alright, you make some valid points. I still think Manziel should be starting, though.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You should have at least listened to the terrible points he made. Seems like a guy that should get punched in the face often.

He associates taking risk, and taking chances in all the wrong ways. As if Luck should be taking risk down 7 or 10 in the first Q against Ryan Fitzpatrick when his defense is playing is actually playing decent. Sometimes it's not even a matter of those things, but just making horrible decisions and he calls those risk.

Then reads off a list of guys who have more INTs than he does. As if you cannot move the ball without minimizing turnovers. I do agree with him that I don't want Luck playing scared. But so far this season he hasn't looked confident in his throws. Needs to work on accuracy.

I would bet cash money that Luck will get more accurate as the season progresses.

Right now he's on pace to throw 40 INTs and not even Favre cracked 30 in a single season. Cutler has also only thrown 26 in one year. I just don't see Luck throwing as many from here on out.

eznark

Banned
Alright, you make some valid points. I still think Manziel should be starting, though.

That's fine.

I played quarterback during the Favre glory years. I only say that because it means I went to a lot of football camps and trained with a lot of QB coaches from 1993 - 1999 and the first thing all of them would say (especially from like 94- 98) was DO NOT WATCH FAVRE FOR QB TIPS. Then they'd list off their favorites to watch, 80% of the time it was Marino.

There was a whole lot of fake jump passes and back foot throws in Wisconsin football in those days.....

Point being, you can't learn what Favre was good at. You simply can't. For example, Guys with strong arms have been throwing off their back foot since throwing was made legal. It's a natural motion to fade away from contact. You need to unlearn it.

Do Cleveland fans think Travis Benjamin will continue to be a frequent target? Yes, this is a shameless attempt to gather evidence for a fantasy lineup. Thanks in advance.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I would bet cash money that Luck will get more accurate as the season progresses.

Right now he's on pace to throw 40 INTs and not even Favre cracked 30 in a single season. Cutler has also only thrown 26 in one year. I just don't see Luck throwing as many from here on out.
Let's hope he does but i agree.

That's fine.

I played quarterback during the Favre glory years. I only say that because it means I went to a lot of football camps and trained with a lot of QB coaches from 1993 - 1999 and the first thing all of them would say (especially from like 94- 98) was DO NOT WATCH FAVRE FOR QB TIPS. Then they'd list off their favorites to watch, 80% of the time it was Marino.

There was a whole lot of fake jump passes and back foot throws in Wisconsin football in those days.....

Point being, you can't learn what Favre was good at. You simply can't. For example, Guys with strong arms have been throwing off their back foot since throwing was made legal. It's a natural motion to fade away from contact. You need to unlearn it.
Haha, that is pretty funny about Favre. It makes sense, he was just a kid on a playground out there, just having fun slangin' it.

I really want to see some ez highlight videos now...

Sephzilla

Favre was a pretty improvisational quarterback who played on instinct. I don't think it's impossible to learn what he was good at (Rodgers pulls out a Favre trick every once and a while), but generally you're right that it's hard to learn from players that run on talent/instinct.

eznark

Banned
Favre was a pretty improvisational quarterback who played on instinct.
My point is that this is what Manziel excels at. Now he needs to learn how to play quarterback. McCown is a much, much better teacher for him. Peyton maybe could've used a year with Favre.

Haha, that is pretty funny about Favre. It makes sense, he was just a kid on a playground out there, just having fun slangin' it.

I really want to see some ez highlight videos now...

I was Doug Pedersen trying to be Brett Favre.....

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Do Cleveland fans think Travis Benjamin will continue to be a frequent target? Yes, this is a shameless attempt to gather evidence for a fantasy lineup. Thanks in advance.

He wasn't exactly getting frequent targets even with Manziel. He ran a total of 9 pass routes last week. Fools gold really, hes not going to be catching anything from McCown, certainly not those plays Manziel was making.

Bowser

http://sportsgrid.com/hyurx

Basically what this person said as well.

eznark

Banned

Congratulations on giving a moron sports talk host attention for saying moron sports talk show host things. He wins. You lose.

_woLf

This was all a clever ruse and kam just needed more time to heal

Seattle will now go 14-0 and win the super bowl I'm just saying

...I'm still mad at kam

Spinluck

Yup, read through it. But let us be real, sport journalism wouldn't be the same if we couldn't complain about idiots! I think Luck will get it together, but I think that offense is just being misused greatly, and that Pep should go back to college or the Jets. Lots of the playcalling doesn't make sense, and is just all over the place. There is never a tempo or flow, just Luck staring down guys trying to chuck someone open.

Congratulations on giving a moron sports talk host attention for saying moron sports talk show host things. He wins. You lose.

No you lose for being mean.

bionic77

I was Doug Pedersen trying to be Brett Favre.....
The nice thing about high school football is it will get you laid.

I was number one on the tennis team in high school (at part of my time in high school and the other years I was number 2) and our team won districts almost every year and competed for a state championship but that counted for dick with the girls in my PA high school. We always brought back hardware and no one gave a shit in PA. It was the same with our soccer team too, who were always contenders for a state title.

The starting RB or QB on our team that won probably less than 15% of their games while I was in high school were drowning in pussy.

This is why even though high school football is probably not the sport a parent would choose for their kid outside of crazy states like PA and Texas, most dudes are going to want to play football because it gets the most people to show up at the games and get your the most pussy.

Spinluck

I was number one on the tennis team in high school (at part of my time in high school and the other years I was number 2) and our team won districts almost every year and competed for a state championship but that counted for dick with the girls in my PA high school. We always brought back hardware and no one gave a shit in PA. It was the same with our soccer team too, who were always contenders for a state title.

The starting RB or QB on our team that won probably less than 15% of their games while I was in high school were drowning in pussy.

This is why even though high school football is probably not the sport a parent would choose for their kid outside of crazy states like PA and Texas, most dudes are going to want to play football because it gets the most people to show up at the games and get your the most pussy.

Basketball gets you the puss too

It can also get you AIDS

There is a certain example I'm think of but his name escapes me

eznark

Banned

High school was awesome

bionic77

Basketball gets you the puss too

It can also get you AIDS

There is a certain example I'm think of but his name escapes me
It just depends on what is most popular.

In PA you have to go to a city school for basketball to be more popular than football. For most of the state football is far and away the undisputed king and a lot of people in small towns whose kids don't even attend the school still show up on Friday nights to watch the game.

You are kind of a celebrity in a football town if you are the RB or QB. And if you are good and the team has a chance to be the best than you become a God.

Its also why star athletes coming out of high school are often the biggest dicks on the planet.

High school was awesome
Not that he was a star athlete but case in point!

Bowser

Asked about criticisms that the Eagles’ offense is too predictable and opposing defenses have figured them out, Kelly said the reality is that the Eagles aren’t that predictable. They just need the players to run the plays better.

“I think we’ve been varied in our two games, and through our preseason and everything, we’ve been doing a different job, changing formations and things like that. When you’re not successful, I think guys are grasping at excuses, to be honest with you. We still need to block and tackle,” Kelly said. “What I’m saying is we need to execute.”

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/chip-kelly-my-play-calling-isn’t-too-predictable-problem-execution

Mmmkay.

Top Bottom