• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 3 |OT| - A Fraud Finds His League

gutshot

Yeah, I think most people know I've been pretty down on Bradford since the trade and what I've seen from him so far isn't exactly encouraging. I hate how he goes to his check down way too quickly. Even when he still has time in the pocket, he goes through his progressions super quick and then just dumps it off. It's 3rd and 21 and he's throwing it out to Sproles in the flat. It's infuriating.

That being said, his performance is like 4th down the list of issues currently plaguing Philly's offense, so...

I'm using his entire Rams career where he missed wide open guys as often as he hit them if asked to pass more than 15-20 yards downfield.

And I am willing to wait and see what he can do in an entirely different offensive system that is completely different from the one he was in. We know taking a defensive player (IE Byron Maxwell) who excelled in a system of zone coverage and putting him in a system of man coverage can have disastrous results, obviously. That doesn't mean that the opposite can't be true either, if you take him out of a system that doesn't utilize any of his strengths, and start utilizing those strengths, you can actually get good production out of him. I think that's something people are completely overlooking in this situation, and it's still an unknown.

Now, do I think that suddenly Bradford is going to be magical? No, I doubt it. I just think it's dumb to make assumptions about how he'll play in a different system (when it's functioning). About as dumb as the assumption that a guy like Maxwell would be just as good when you completely change the system around him is.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, I think most people know I've been pretty down on Bradford since the trade and what I've seen from him so far isn't exactly encouraging. I hate how he goes to his check down way too quickly. Even when he still has time in the pocket, he goes through his progressions super quick and then just dumps it off. It's 3rd and 21 and he's throwing it out to Sproles in the flat. It's infuriating.

That being said, his performance is like 4th down the list of issues currently plaguing Philly's offense, so...

To be fair, Sproles probably has a better chance of making 5 guys miss and picking up 21 yards than Bradford does completing a pass 21 yards downfield.

Zeke

What is his celling the 2nd half against the Falcons, or the whole game against Dallas? My guess is it is somewhere in between. I just hope it is closer to what he did against the Falcons.
Flashes that's all you're going to get from him. Back up Clint Longley led the cowboys to a comeback victory against the skins in 74. Great game for him, great win over the skins. Doesn't matter guy wasn't an franchise qb.

https://youtu.be/w7locM_KuoA
https://youtu.be/NLtE2LaQQmc

You guys are just fucking with me right? Have none of you watched a Pats game? A bunch of no name receivers who get open quick and catch 5 yard passes all day. That is 100% what Chip wants out of the passing game. Outside of Agalhor the Eagles dont have a receiver who can run down the field at all, and he is a rookie. The plan was always to run the ball get into short yardage situations and then throw quick passes to open guys. The reason Foles was such a terrible fit for this offense is he has such a slow delivery, and he would take bad sacks forcing them into long yardage situations which then meant they had to throw down the field. I couldnt care less if Bradford can throw the ball 20 yards down field, I want a guy that is going to get the ball out quick and hit open receivers in the hands.

kmag

Indeed I'm very nervous about injuries going forward. On the bright side Witten was suited up and moving around fine according to a writer for the cowboys.

Not to jinx him but Lee will be fine. He's obviously made some deal with the Devil using the what ever spare virgin blood Jerry had left over and using the souls, joint integrity and bone strength of his team mates as added collateral.

Hunter S.

To be fair, his finger tips have not had feeling since the injury. It is now just a talking point because he came out and said they are that way. 2012, 2013 and early 2014 were all good years for him without the feeling in the tips.

Anybody that knows Peyton might wish this, but they still know the guy really wants to play and all the random concern in the world is not going to deter him from playing the game he loves.

You guys are just fucking with me right? Have none of you watched a Pats game? A bunch of no name receivers who get open quick and catch 5 yard passes all day. That is 100% what Chip wants out of the passing game. Outside of Agalhor the Eagles dont have a receiver who can run down the field at all, and he is a rookie. The plan was always to run the ball get into short yardage situations and then throw quick passes to open guys. The reason Foles was such a terrible fit for this offense is he has such a slow delivery, and he would take bad sacks forcing them into long yardage situations which then meant they had to throw down the field. I couldnt care less if Bradford can throw the ball 20 yards down field, I want a guy that is going to get the ball out quick and hit open receivers in the hands.

You can't stretch the field vertically if you don't have a deep attack whatsoever. You need to stretch both horizontally and vertically for the spread offense to work.

eznark

Banned

Sack % over career

Sam Bradford - 6.1%
Nick Foles - 5.9%

You can't stretch the field vertically if you don't have a deep attack whatsoever. You need to stretch both horizontally and vertically for the spread offense to work.

Seemed to work fine in the 2nd half against the Falcons. Everything fell apart last week, Bradford made bad reads, he missed open guys, and guys dropped passes right in their hands. Lets give it a few more weeks and since if it comes together or not.

Ok cool, I'll have time tomorrow and Friday.

Works for me. Will schedule it for primetime so the rest of the lads can see you get smashed.

And I am willing to wait and see what he can do in an entirely different offensive system that is completely different from the one he was in. We know taking a defensive player (IE Byron Maxwell) who excelled in a system of zone coverage and putting him in a system of man coverage can have disastrous results, obviously. That doesn't mean that the opposite can't be true either, if you take him out of a system that doesn't utilize any of his strengths, and start utilizing those strengths, you can actually get good production out of him. I think that's something people are completely overlooking in this situation, and it's still an unknown.

Now, do I think that suddenly Bradford is going to be magical? No, I doubt it. I just think it's dumb to make assumptions about how he'll play in a different system (when it's functioning). About as dumb as the assumption that a guy like Maxwell would be just as good when you completely change the system around him is.

All I keep hearing is "but the system!" repeated over and over. The system wasn't at fault for him spotting wide open guys behind the safety and then missing them by miles.

He's a crappy QB.

Farooq

Banned
Giants update for tomorrow:

CB Dominique Rodgers Cromartie is ruled out for Thursday as expected.
WR Victor Cruz is also out.
DE Owa Odiggy is ruled out with a continuing foot issue.
TE Jerome Cunningham is ruled out.
DT Markus Kuhn us ruled out.

LT Erek Flowers is doubtful (i.e. he's not playing)
DE Robert Ayers is questionable (I'm betting he plays)
LB Jon Beason is probable.

Fucking Odiggy. Waiting for his debut, hope he gets healthy soon. More explosive than Frank Clark and he doesn't have the off-field issues.

But see the problem is that Bradford doesn't throw down the field and yet his career completion percentage is under 60%. He's just not accurate. And you expect him to execute the dink and dunk game like he's Brady.

squicken

I guess my thoughts on JFF are roughly: The 10k feet goal of any team is to be perennial playoff contenders. And pretty much everything about that is contingent on having a QB that is at least okay. That is why the Texans might be the 32 out of 32 in terms of organizational outlook

So does starting McCown get you closer to that goal? Because this year doesn't really matter. This game doesn't matter. Joe Thomas and Alex Mack's opinions don't matter. It's all just useless crap until the Browns have a QB. JFF is unlikely to be that guy, but McCown definitely isn't

Miracle

He sometimes wears gloves when he plays, because the injuries to his neck have deprived him of the feeling in the fingertips of his right hand. That means whenever he goes out for ice cream with his kids, he can’t feel the cone. When he embraces them, the sensation doesn’t extend throughout his fingers. I don’t know how it affects his driving, and I don’t think I want to know. Try imagining what it’s like. You can’t, because you’re not Peyton Manning with his fingertips having gone dead four years ago.

Holy shit in this true!? That's horrible if so. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Luckily you have the right QB already on your Roster. The Sanchize.

eznark

Banned
yankeehater said:
Have none of you watched a Pats game? A bunch of no name receivers who get open quick and catch 5 yard passes all day. That is 100% what Chip wants out of the passing game.... The reason Foles was such a terrible fit for this offense is he has such a slow delivery, and he would take bad sacks forcing them into long yardage situations which then meant they had to throw down the field.

What the hell are you talking about? The Eagles OL was miles better then the Rams OL. Ez is just trolling with those ridiculous stats.

Nick Foles was sacked on 2.8% of his drop backs in 2014.

Tom Brady was sacked on 3.5% of his drop backs in 2014.

It's nice to say things

squicken

Seth Joyner thinks he's identified a pattern while taking in the game from his couch.

“We are pretty predictable about formations and how and where we run. As I watched the game Sunday, whichever side the running back was offset to the first half, we ran opposite that side and tried to pull linemen that way," the former Eagles linebacker explained. "[Dallas] would line up in the under or over defense away from the back and put a defensive tackle in a one technique and he would just shoot the A-Gap. (The play above demonstrates what Joyner is talking about).

"Well, if you’re trying to pull a guy, it’s almost impossible for that guard to reach him once you pull him; he’s right there on the center’s heel or he’s pushing the center back in the backfield because the guard can’t reach him. And when that happens you’ve got penetration, and once you’ve got penetration then half the field gets cut off and there is no more cutbacks."

"I believe this offense has become somewhat predictable," said Ron Jaworski, fresh off a full day of breaking down Eagles coaching tape at NFL Films. "When I see what Atlanta has done, I see what Dallas has done, they seem to have a pretty good [grasp] of what the Eagles are trying to do. I say that when I see their line stunts, when I see their slants, when I see guys attacking a particular gap where they are trying to run the football and stopping those running plays.

"Just think back to that 3rd-and-1 play against Atlanta when they slanted and scraped [linebacker Paul] Worrilow right into the hole and he makes the play. That didn't happen by accident, but by film study, preparation, studying tendencies and calling the right defensive front at the right time. I saw it far too apparent in the Dallas game where the slants and the stunts were going right into the hole where the Eagles were running the football."

The play Jaworski is referring to is the 3rd-and-1 in the fourth quarter against the Falcons when Ryan Mathews was stuffed for no gain, leading to a 44-yard field goal try by Cody Parkey that sailed wide right. As Jaws said, Worrilow fills right into the hole where Mathews ends up as if he were anticipating it.
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/09/23/all-22-opponents-picking-up-on-eagles-tendencies/

Videos there for those that want more than hot takes

Zeke

Maybe he can come back after the bye?
I love his toughness but please Lord no. There is no sense in him coming back without Romo back there. I don't want him to hurt his foot again and be done for the year. Just heal up and be ready for a late run.

Farooq

Banned
I love his toughness but please Lord no. There is no sense in him coming back without Romo back there. I don't want him to hurt his foot again and be done for the year. Just heal up and be ready for a late run.

Is tanking for Goff still on the table?

Gigglepoo

Suggs and ray lewis no all about that ;).

As a Niners fan, they're cheating bastards. As an NFL fan, I'm glad they could come back so soon. If there is a a way for players to return to action sooner (without debilitating problems down the road), they should be allowed to.

I'd also be happy if Peyton Manning ate unborn wolf cubs to reverse his aging process. Anything for my entertainment!

Would you risk Dez's long-term health to get him back a couple weeks earlier?

If he can come back months earlier than expected, that's an argument in favor of letting injured players use it.

After the bye would be 6 weeks. That's not really any earlier than the Cowboys were expecting him to be out. Otherwise they would have used the IR designated to return on him which is 8 weeks.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
As a Niners fan, they're cheating bastards. As an NFL fan, I'm glad they could come back so soon. If there is a a way for players to return to action sooner (without debilitating problems down the road), they should be allowed to.

I'd also be happy if Peyton Manning ate unborn wolf cubs to reverse his aging process. Anything for my entertainment!

Agreed 100% problem is it becomes a slippery slope.

Zeke

Is tanking for Goff still on the table?
Fuck that tank shit. Seasons not a wrap yet man. It's going to be a tough road to the playoffs but they can do it. The entire division is trash already have two division games in the bank. Defense has been playing great and we're two weeks away from getting Hardy, McClain and Gregory back in the lineup. Romo will be good to go come November and a healthy Dez back at full strength for both skins games. Just need few wins from here on out 2 or 3 and we're still looking good all things considered.

What? It's like the complete opposite. Having a player like Dez being available for Weeden to throw to would be huge. Dez has amazing ball skills, just heave it up to him.

KaYotiX

Banned
Hawks lose 2 games, say they won't talk to Chancellor. Today they got him back lol.

Wonder how much or if he got his payday or a promise of one.

ampere

I almost feel bad for the Eagles but damn it's almost like every criticism made about the Eagles in the offseason has come true.

Byron Maxwell is only good in a system....

Demarco Murray was only good because of Dallas's offensive line..

Bradford? lol

etc.

It is almost said that armchair sports analysts were spot on about Chip's flaws. I mean c'mon Chip, are you surrounded by yes men?

cdyhybrid

Hawks lose 2 games, say they won't talk to Chancellor. Today they got him back lol.

Wonder how much or if he got his payday

I doubt it. They have no motive to budge other than out of the kindness of their hearts, which isn't really a thing in the NFL.

They'll probably reduce his fines just to make everyone feel better about it, but yeah.

Zeke

What? It's like the complete opposite. Having a player like Dez being available for Weeden to throw to would be huge. Dez has amazing ball skills, just heave it up to him.
I just don't want him rushing back if he's not where he should be. If he needs some extra time fine might as well get it now. Like I said the back half of the schedule is going to be far more important than what's going on now.

this_guy

Wonder how much or if he got his payday or a promise of one.

Looks like the Hawks won that standoff. Had Chancellor got a new contract or raise it would have been reported already. Chancellor cost himself some game checks and wasn't there to help his teammates.

Top Bottom