• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 7 |OT| - A Fraud Swings His Gate

Godslay

Banned
But you don't know that.
Because we don't really know how good any of those teams truly are because they've played mostly bad teams too.

But the Panthers play the Eagles, Colts, Packers over the next three weeks. We will see how good or bad they really are.

Even then it's still a week by week basis and who they match up with that week. I know people like to get off to SOS, signature wins, trends, and projections. Really though it really boils down to how well a team matches up that week.

It's like that year Denver played San Diego in the divisional round. I was more intimidated by that team then I was the Patriots in the AFC Championship game. Why? Because that team was pretty much manufactured to stand toe to toe with the Broncos and exploit their weaknesses. All three games against SD were tough and decided by a single score. Whereas with the Pats for instance we should have throttled them twice that year, but really blew a 24 point lead in the regular season game and lost on some flukes by a single FG. The disparity was evident when they lost in the AFCCG, which wasn't really close. Same thing applied to us matching up horribly against Seattle in execution, talent, and coaching.

I was only comparing him to the rest of his play this season. He's by no means where I'd like him to be. If we ran the ball like we should've, he'd probably look even better. But instead we had him throwing 50 times even though it was clear that he was struggling to hit guys later in the game and that he did not have full confidence in his arm.

Last year he didn't start the season injured, and Pagano and the coaching staff weren't walking on eggshells. This year, the O-line started off much worse than last year, and this came with a ton of problems outside of Luck's play. He hasn't looked good, but they can turn it around if he can improve. Albeit, his WRs did save him from a few INTs in the second half, but I also blame Pagano for abandoning what was working for Luck after his 4th&3 in favor of going for a type of offense that never worked against NE. Story of our season, abysmal coaching in the highest order. If not for the AFCS rallying together to keep Pagano employed we are sub .500.

Assuming Luck continues to improve, I can see the offense opening up game after game. We just need to stop dropping the run game when its been good to us.

I'm not saying he's bad, or that there aren't issues around him, I just think we lend him too much credit when we shit on other guys for similar situations. He escapes most of the criticism, and is typically viewed higher than how he plays at times.

jakncoke

Banned
You have failed me spectacularly, making me think Hackenberg is the best. I finally start watching for real and he looks like super booty.

At least you dont have to suffer , He might stay now he failed so badly his Junior year and make me watch him next year. Maybe we can just hand off to Saquon Barkley every down

Sanjuro

Halo story is bad.

Halo has the Matrix problem. The first game works story wise. It's simple, pulpy, fun. After that they decided to treat it as gospel.

I've never completed a Call of Duty since 2. Just play it until I commit some kind of horrific atrocity and earn an achievement.

Hunter S.

Josh_McDaniels_Broncos_Video_Tape_Investigation.jpg

orton_drunk.gif

Line_HTX

Halo has the Matrix problem. The first game works story wise. It's simple, pulpy, fun. After that they decided to treat it as gospel.

I've never completed a Call of Duty since 2. Just play it until I commit some kind of horrific atrocity and earn an achievement.

Admit it, you never play story and only attempt to get to 10th Prestige and blow up fools.

Spinluck

Colts fans can fuck off about recruiting Payton. Why would he want to go to a team with a bad roster and declining QB play to another team with a bad roster and declining QB play?

Team docs will just prescribe him some more drugs and he will stay content at the Saints.

Lighten up

I'd say Luck is more valuable than Brees down the stretch, no?

Brees going on a decline is different than whatever Luck is going through right now. Are you really saying that Luck hit his ceiling and is done? That there is no coming back from this state?

Crisco

Banned
Philip Rivers in 2010 ranked first in YPA throwing to Legadu Nanee, Patrick Crayton, and Seji Ajirotutu. I think even Gates was hurt for most of that year with Randy McMichael backing him up. That was probably the single most impressive QBing performance I've ever seen, especially for an immobile QB behind a crappy offensive line.

Honestly, ive been burned out by halo in general. I completely skipped 4 and converted into a CoD person back when I had time to play.

That being said, I guess I could follow 5 for a bit.
I myself haven't finished halo4 probably will try this weekend. But I was really just talking about the podcast, is just a general good listen halo fan or not so far. Dosent appear you really need a none of knowledge of events from what I've heard.
COD pls line, how could you not be burned out on that

It's almost like they have to play the games and calling anybody anything now is silly drunk talk!
If a team starts the season with 5 or 6 wins they are in all probability a good team that will make the playoffs. If you want to disprove that statement (which I admit isn't based on extensive research) then feel free to show statistics covering every team to ever go 5-0 or 6-0.

I think a third of the season is enough to get a feel for what a team is that year. It won't always be 100% spot on but it's a decent enough sample size to make some inferences, and I'd bet the statistics back that up.

Or, you know, we could just shut down the thread since we aren't allowed to discuss how good or bad teams are yet.

cdyhybrid

But you don't know that.
Because we don't really know how good any of those teams truly are because they've played mostly bad teams too.

But the Panthers play the Eagles, Colts, Packers over the next three weeks. We will see how good or bad they really are.
Technically, we don't know anything. We can only go on what we've seen so far and past performances, and the Panthers haven't earned that benefit of the doubt yet, IMO. The Packers and Pats have.

We will see soon though, like you said.

If a team starts the season with 5 or 6 wins they are in all probability a good team that will make the playoffs. If you want to disprove that statement (which I admit isn't based on extensive research) then feel free to show statistics covering every team to ever go 5-0 or 6-0.

I think a third of the season is enough to get a feel for what a team is that year. It won't always be 100% spot on but it's a decent enough sample size to make some inferences, and I'd bet the statistics back that up.

Or, you know, we could just shut down the thread since we aren't allowed to discuss how good or bad teams are yet.

I'm supposed to commit to a fruitless exercise just to prove that there are plenty of teams that collapse every year?

The Broncos are the example I trot out but almost every season there is an early season favorite who flames out. The Eagles were a favorite at 5-1 after 6 weeks last year. what happened then?

By your criteria, that 2009 Broncos team was undisputably good. They missed the playoffs that year AND the year after that.

We're not even halfway through the season yet.

They are just trolling. Hunt the truth season one was legitimately great, I cant wait to start season 2. Also all the Halo lore has been extremely well done.

Which is fine. Subjective but fine. My issue arises when its required to follow the in-game story. I was fine with 1-3 even if Gravemind was jumping the shark but Halo 4's complete reliance on the lore outside of what was presented to the player in the first three games was baffling to me. They did this big reveal for the Didact as if most anyone knew or gave a fuck who he was that hadn't read Cryptum or the Forerunner Saga novels. Stuff like that drives me nuts. You were pretty much forced to hunt down the library terminal entries (or youtube them) to make heads or tails of what was going on.

I'm supposed to commit to a fruitless exercise just to prove that there are plenty of teams that collapse every year?

The Broncos are the example I trot out but almost every season there is an early season favorite who flames out. The Eagles were at favorite at 5-1 after 6 weeks last year. what happened then?

By your criteria, that 2009 Broncos team was undisputably good. They missed the playoffs that year AND the year after that.
Do you actually understand how statistics work?

Also, who said anything about a team being indisputably good?

Another also, the 2014 Eagles started 3-1 so they aren't even a relevant example...

Spinluck

I don't get why we go through the same dance every year when we've all seen this before. We're only 6 weeks into the season lol. There are teams that have gone 8-0 only to whither away.

Konka

Banned
Who was the black guy? He is insane. He actually said that Cam is playing better then RGIII did his first year. That is just ridiculous crazy talk. RGIII's first year: 3200 yards, 20 td's 5 ints, 102.4 rating. Cam is nowhere near that level.

You are so right. If the Eagles hadnt shut it down in the 4th quarter Bradford could have easily gone for more then 300 yards. I really think if the Eagles can just get the WR's to run the right routes Bradford will be fine.

And three more interceptions.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I don't get why we go through the same dance every year when we've all seen this before. We're only 6 weeks into the season lol. There are teams that have gone 8-0 only to whither away.

Truth

Looking at numbers too much.

Do you actually understand how statistics work?

Also, who said anything about a team being indisputably good?

Another also, the 2014 Eagles started 3-1 so they aren't even a relevant example...

eznark

Banned

It's better than talking about anime, space wizards and your cooking

Bowser

Related, 538 did a grid on playoff probability by record a few years ago:

swOpVnS.png

Another thing that's interesting is that, dating back to last season, the Panthers have won 9 straight regular season games, and 10 of their last 11. Only loss being the divisional playoff game at Seattle.

Tom Penny

When will people learn football doesn't really start until after thanksgiving when teams have shown their strengths weaknesses and tendencies for the most part barring teams that are getting impact players back like Dallas and Pitt.

I mean, let's boil it down. My argument is the Panthers are on the statistically probable side of being a good team that will make the playoffs.

THE HORROR.

EDIT: Thanks, Bowser. That's some nice info.

Which is fine. Subjective but fine. My issue arises when its required to follow the in-game story. I was fine with 1-3 even if Gravemind was jumping the shark but Halo 4's complete reliance on the lore outside of what was presented to the player in the first three games was baffling to me. They did this big reveal for the Didact as if most anyone knew or gave a fuck who he was that hadn't read Cryptum or the Forerunner Saga novels. Stuff like that drives me nuts. You were pretty much forced to hunt down the library terminal entries (or youtube them) to make heads or tails of what was going on.

You are 100% correct. I couldnt imagine playing through Halo 4 without reading Cryptum. So much of the story for that game is contained in the book.

RELAYER

Banned
I mean, let's boil it down. My argument is the Panthers are on the statistically probable side of being a good team that will make the playoffs.

THE HORROR.

EDIT: Thanks, Bowser. That's some nice info.

Making the playoffs this year isn't saying much.

1. Packers
2. Cardinals
3. Panthers
4. Falcons
5. Eagles
6. Who cares

Crisco

Banned
Before the season, I looked at the Panthers roster and thought this was the most talented and deepest group we've had in the Rivera/Cam era. On defense we've been able to overcome injuries to our two highest paid players and the offense showed enough firepower to come back from 13 down in Seattle. We're 5-0 and there's really no reason to think this is a fluke or we're playing above our heads. Haters gonna hate.

ufTz12g.gif

Top Bottom