• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

Godslay

Banned
He's dynamite. That playoff run he had was pretty special capped with a great performance against a damn tough secondary. Dude is a beast, but I worry about his long term health. Takes so many big hits.

Seems like I am wrong about Edelman and he's going to play. Godslay how good is the KC oline. I don't see them much so I'm relying on just the pure numbers. They have given up quite a few sacks this year, and I think the Pats front seven can get after Smith in this upcoming game. People sleep on the Pats front seven, but it's legit. Sheard has really added to the front seven overall.

They're solid. Center is out. They run block well too.

Can't let Alex slip that pocket as well. One thing to get pressure another to waste it by letting him slip out.

I'd say the main thing is to take away Kelce any way possible and Butler should be okay on Conley. I'd like to see what would happen if Bill makes Smith beat them deep. With Maclin out potentially changes that O quite a bit without that vertical threat.

Kelsdesu

Its one things for the thug players to disgrace themselves but a few bad apples give the whole city a bad name.

And even if the refs fucked up the call on Shazier's dirty hit you can't just started cheering for an injury and throwing garbage on a guy going out on a cart.

Control your people Cincy.

"Thug players"? Are you serious with that bullshit?

ccgear

Banned
Adam Jones completely turned his life around so that is an unwarranted accusation.

post-51329-Jaguars-fan-gif-imgur-confused-piho.gif

MBison

Thug players, wow.

Anyhow, I don't particularly like either team but being a long time NFL fan there was so much assery in this game.

1) The fact the hit on Brown is a penalty but the hit on Bernard isn't, wow. Stupid. He led with his helmet. Aren't we supposed to be protecting against concussions?

2) Why the hell was Joey Porter allowed to stay on the field and jaw with Bengal players? I thought the refs were in control of this game? Then Pacman gets a penalty for a little shove? Geezus, really trashy and a fine example of refs both under reffing and over reffing at the same time. They should not have allowed this to determine the game. Walk off the 15 yarder for the defenseless receiver and proceed.

Bleh, entertaining but the refs really blew this one.

TheFatOne

His toughness is really underrated.

He's what Welker could've been if he was clutch and wasn't afraid catching passes over the middle.

Pretty much this, but can't fault Welker really. It's no joke being a small guy getting pummeled on practically every third down, and not every guy can be clutch. Edelman is just a special slot receiver though. That super bowl performance still amazes me. This play right here pretty much sums Edelman up. Gets destroyed by Kam Chancellor on a third down, and somehow still holds onto the ball. Guy most likely had a concussion. Consistent,reliable,clutch, and extremely tough player. Guys like this are hard to find.

Was Porter showing restraint? He was trolling the Bengals and got exactly what he wanted. Bush league move. You keep talking about restraint in a game where you know none was to be had. After the Shazier no-call, all bets were off. Apologist to the end...
Bush league moves all around. I don't care about either team. My team plays the steelers in the next round. I am ok with that but to act like the bengals lost the game because of refs is rediculous. They should have been restrained and played smart football. The bengals deserved to lose.

cdyhybrid

So many new faces in this thread now that the playoffs have started. Welcome, friends!

Stay and keep posting and you might figure out what to actually be outraged at eventually :^)

MBison

Bush league moves all around. I don't care about either team. My team plays the steelers in the next round. I am ok with that but to act like the bengals lost the game because of refs is rediculous. They should have been restrained and played smart football. The bengals deserved to lose.

I agree the Bengals deserved to lose. The Hill fumble is inexcusable. You have one job, cover the ball and get on the ground.

But the refs played TOO BIG of a part in the final outcome with a couple really terrible calls. At worst they should have given offsetting unsportsmanlike to Porter and Jones.

Thug players, wow.

Anyhow, I don't particularly like either team but being a long time NFL fan there was so much assery in this game.

1) The fact the hit on Brown is a penalty but the hit on Bernard isn't, wow. Stupid. He led with his helmet. Aren't we supposed to be protecting against concussions?

2) Why the hell was Joey Porter allowed to stay on the field and jaw with Bengal players? I thought the refs were in control of this game? Then Pacman gets a penalty for a little shove? Geezus, really trashy and a fine example of refs both under reffing and over reffing at the same time. They should not have allowed this to determine the game. Walk off the 15 yarder for the defenseless receiver and proceed.

Bleh, entertaining but the refs really blew this one.
ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

But the NFL is "loose" on interpreting the rules to say the least. Unless they considered that "incidental contact".

I agree the Bengals deserved to lose. The Hill fumble is inexcusable. You have one job, cover the ball and get on the ground.

But the refs played TOO BIG of a part in the final outcome with a couple really terrible calls.
I don't think any of the cals were uncalled for. In what way were they? The first 15 yard penalty can't be argued with. The second maybe... In any case they shouldn't have lost their cool and they shouldn't have done so.

But the NFL is "loose" on interpreting the rules to say the least. Unless they considered that "incidental contact".

The weirdest part was how the announcers made no mention of the spearing rule and only focused on the defenseless receiver rule. These guys have watched 1,000s of games and they don't know you can't do that?

I guess it shows how little that rule is enforced.

TheFatOne

They're solid. Center is out. They run block well too.

Can't let Alex slip that pocket as well. One thing to get pressure another to waste it by letting him slip out.

I'd say the main thing is to take away Kelce any way possible and Butler should be okay on Conley. I'd like to see what would happen if Bill makes Smith beat them deep. With Maclin out potentially changes that O quite a bit without that vertical threat.

Thanks for the info. Pats generally have good contain playing mobile qbs, and Collins/Hightower can play the spy. I'm pretty optimistic about the Pats ability to stop the run given how Brown, and Hicks have being playing. Brown has had a real solid second half of the season, and Ayers has stepped it up since Easley went down. One thing that worries me greatly is Logan Ryan. He was damn fine the first half+, but has regressed in the last few weeks considerably. Think the Chiefs would be smart by trying to attack Logan Ryan. If the Pats players that are returning are healthy, and guys like Jones/Hightower are healthy I'm pretty confident the Pats are going to win. That's a huge if, and you never know who is really healthy in the NFL and particularly with the Pats.

MBison

I don't think any of the cals were uncalled for. In what way were they? The first 15 yard penalty can't be argued with. The second maybe... In any case they shouldn't have lost their cool and they shouldn't have done so.

1) The hit on Bernard which resulted in a turnover was clearly a penalty according to the NFL rulebook. Instead of Steelers ball there it could be 1st and 10 for Cincinnati with 15 more yards from the spot of that foul. Could have made a big difference.

2) Yes, the 15 yarder on Burdict was correct but the ensuing 15 yarder on Jones was really reaching especially considering Porter is just hanging out trolling the defenders, which I don't think I've ever seen in an NFL game. Considering they had already called an unsportsmanlike on a Pitt coach on the sidelines, this was a big miss and at worst it should have been offsetting foul so Pitt would have 1st and 10 at the 33 with 18 seconds left. May not have matters but the refs over involved themselves in the outcome.

MBison

Because Mike Carey, Simms and Nantz are fucking idiots who would rather spend ten minutes crying over whether the Ben sack was illegal or not.

lol agreed, I can't believe they actually brought this up. That was perhaps the cleanest sack in the history of the NFL but here they are analyzing it.

Fucking terrible.

B.O.O.M

Its one things for the thug players to disgrace themselves but a few bad apples give the whole city a bad name.

And even if the refs fucked up the call on Shazier's dirty hit you can't just started cheering for an injury and throwing garbage on a guy going out on a cart.

Control your people Cincy.

Agreed 100%. It's not a good look and basically adds insult to injury in these situations.

Why? They're the ones throwing garbage at a player being taken off the field on a cart.

Was referring to the non-shitty ones. That must have been a hard game to stomach towards the end for them.

KingBroly

Banned
1) The hit on Bernard which resulted in a turnover was clearly a penalty according to the NFL rulebook. Instead of Steelers ball there it could be 1st and 10 for Cincinnati with 15 more yards from the spot of that foul. Could have made a big difference.

2) Yes, the 15 yarder on Burdict was correct but the ensuing 15 yarder on Jones was really reaching especially considering Porter is just hanging out trolling the defenders, which I don't think I've ever seen in an NFL game. Considering they had already called an unsportsmanlike on a Pitt coach on the sidelines, this was a big miss and at worst it should have been offsetting foul so Pitt would have 1st and 10 at the 33 with 18 seconds left. May not have matters but the refs over involved themselves in the outcome.

Last week in Carolina they called 2 15-yard unsportsmanlikes on the same player, which resulted in a 4th and 36 for Tampa.

M_A_C

Broncos fans I think we got the best possible outcome. A banged up Steelers team and the red hot Chiefs going up to NE to take care of business.

Marvin Lewis has to be fired now right? Players out of control, no playoff wins in 13 years.

Godslay

Banned
Broncos fans I think we got the best possible outcome. A banged up Steelers team and the red hot Chiefs going up to NE to take care of business.

Marvin Lewis has to be fired now right? Players out of control, no playoff wins in 13 years.

Sounds great, but who is Peyton Manning?

And it cannot be repeated enough, the officiating experts like Carey and the Dustin Hoffman impersonator on Fox aren't there to explain rules or assess whether a call was correct. Their job is to create an explanation why the on field call is correct, no matter how convoluted, flimsy or simply false the reasoning required is. Got to protect the field.

You can count on one hand the times that the rules analyst has said the refs were wrong this season.

As a Steelers fan that was one of the most difficult games to watch.

Crazy stuff going on from both teams. While i really like Shazier I feel that hit should have been called.

However, the way cincy handled the game after that blow was really disgusting. Just a bunch of dirty thugs out for blood. The 100% deserve that lose.

That hit on Brown was really hard to watch and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Also, really angry about the fans tossing things at Ben.

Top Bottom