• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

cdyhybrid

So who's got the most attractive opening so far of the coaching jobs?

The list as far as I can tell is:
Dolphins
Titans
Browns
49ers
Eagles
Giants

Likely openings:
Colts

Possible openings:
Lions
Saints

Has to be the Colts or Giants right? Or am I crazy?
Giants easily. Colts second.

Dolphins
Titans
Browns
49ers
Eagles
Giants

Likely openings:
Colts

Possible openings:
Lions
Saints

the answer is obviously Cleveland. A chance to hang out with BG is something we all should take advantage of.

Drakeon

Giants easily. Colts second.

If Grigson is fired, I'd rank them:

Colts (Andrew Luck is way younger than Eli and I believe this year was a fluke for him)
Giants (Defense is a mess, but Eli and OBJ make this very attractive regardless)
Titans (young potential franchise QB already, which is the most important part of a team)
Eagles (QB situation sucks)
49ers (Kap is huge ? But at least we have a fuck ton of cap space and a stable F/O, although not a patient one...Not as dysfunctional as the Browns though! and slightly less dysfunctional than the Dolphins with Ross/Tannenbaum, but feel free to disagree with me here)
Dolphins (QB situation sucks and Suh is a fucking huge cap hit)
Browns (The Coach helps hire the GM, fucking WHAT?)

If Grigson retains his job, I'd move the Giants over the Colts.

Drakeon

Eagles is a maybe, but they don't have a QB. I think I'd pass on everywhere else.

What is actually attractive about the Eagles though? QB situation sucks, a really overpaid RB you have to deal with, a really overpaid CB you have on roster, the defense collapse at the end of the season and who do they have at WR? I mean, I guess the Philly market?

What is actually attractive about the Eagles though? QB situation sucks, a really overpaid RB you have to deal with, defense collapse at the end of the season and who do they have at WR? I mean, I guess the Philly market?
Well, bear in mind that we're comparing them to the Dolphins, Titans, Niners, Browns. Not exactly bastions of stability.

But the Eagles' management has shown that A) they're willing to take chances on a coach they think can get the job done, but also B) that they're competent enough to pull the plug once it's obvious things aren't working. I'd say it's a better spot than most of the teams on the list.

Godslay

Banned
Tend to agree with this:

JeffDarlington: Man, the line for that Giants' job will be a mile long, stacked with every big-name candidate in the business. Not your typical vacancy.

If Grigson is fired, I'd rank them:

Colts (Andrew Luck is way younger than Eli and I believe this year was a fluke for him)
Giants (Defense is a mess, but Eli and OBJ make this very attractive regardless)
Titans (young potential franchise QB already, which is the most important part of a team)
Eagles (QB situation sucks)
49ers (Kap is huge ? But at least we have a fuck ton of cap space and a stable F/O, although not a patient one...Not as dysfunctional as the Browns though! and slightly less dysfunctional than the Dolphins with Ross/Tannenbaum, but feel free to disagree with me here)
Dolphins (QB situation sucks and Suh is a fucking huge cap hit)
Browns (The Coach helps hire the GM, fucking WHAT?)

If Grigson retains his job, I'd move the Giants over the Colts.

the thing about the niners job is no it's not extremely attractive on the surface, but beneath jed yorks bullshit you can make on some semblance of possible interest. first off, we're going to overpay someone (jeddy has to now to attract good talent). secondly, after how god awful we were this year the new coach coming in could go 8-8 and the fanbase would probably be content. we went 5-11 but unless you watched our games i dont think you can understand just how bad we were. the last offense we had that was this bad was in 2005 when we had a rookie QB and a bunch of horrible players on the team. our defense wasn't awful overall (finished 15th in ppg) BUT there were games where it was brutally bad so there was no consistency.

at this point, knowing that the alternative was jim tomsula and his staff of losers, i will be happy with just about any coach we hire

You can interchange the Giants and Colts job as most coveted.

The Colts argument is for Luck who's a young franchise QB. The downside is there's a front office remake that needs done if Grigson is fired and the unknown of that whole situation.

The Giants argument is an established franchise QB who's won two Super Bowls but is aging at 35. Said QB has one of the most dynamic WR's in the game. You also have one if the best ownership situations in the league that value patience and stability sometimes to a fault. The downside is an entire defense that needs to be completely rebuilt and other roster issues.

I don't know what the Colts cap situation looks like but the Giants are going into 2016 with likely 50 million in free money after some very likely cuts.

Furyous

Dolphins
Titans
Browns
49ers
Eagles
Giants

Likely openings:
Colts

Possible openings:
Lions
Saints

Giants as Eli is in place so all you need is to fix the defense.
Titans next as they have a franchise QB AND the best pick in the draft.
Eagles are attractive as Bradford met or matched franchise marks this year. Literally, don't get rid of your great players and the coach keeps their job.
Colts situation is tricky as the media is incapable of scrutinizing Andrew Luck so the coach gets literally all the blame no matter the outcome. Plus Andrew Luck is a coach killer the likes of which weren't seen since Jamarcus Russell, at least thus far.
9ers are somewhat attractive but they need a QB unless Chip comes through and saves the day.
Every other team is attractive to varying degrees and then there's the Browns...
Browns are the least attractive gig as the coach only gets two years to get things right and the organizational structure fucking sucks.

Drakeon

Well, bear in mind that we're comparing them to the Dolphins, Titans, Niners, Browns. Not exactly bastions of stability.

But the Eagles' management has shown that A) they're willing to take chances on a coach they think can get the job done, but also B) that they're competent enough to pull the plug once it's obvious things aren't working. I'd say it's a better spot than most of the teams on the list.

That's fair. I suppose none of those 4 teams have much else to offer, but I did rank the Titans above the Eagles solely because of Mariota. Having a solid QB to build on has to be really really attractive.

Drakeon

You can interchange the Giants and Colts job as most coveted.

The Colts argument is for Luck who's a young franchise QB. The downside is there's a front office remake that needs done if Grigson is fired and the unknown of that whole situation.

The Giants argument is an established franchise QB who's won two Super Bowls but is aging at 35. Said QB has one of the most dynamic WR's in the game. You also have one if the best ownership situations in the league that value patience and stability sometimes to a fault. The downside is an entire defense that needs to be completely rebuilt and other roster issues.

I don't know what the Colts cap situation looks like but the Giants are going into 2016 with likely 50 million in free money after some very likely cuts.

Yeah I agree, Colts and Giants are pretty interchangeable depending on what the coaching candidate is looking for. Both will likely have a long list of candidates. Not sure I trust Irsay to make a smart decision though, whereas I would trust Giants ownership much more.

Yeah I agree, Colts and Giants are pretty interchangeable depending on what the coaching candidate is looking for. Both will likely have a long list of candidates. Not sure I trust Irsay to make a smart decision though, whereas I would trust Giants ownership much more.
Yeah, I think that's the only difference between your list and how I'd rank them. Competent ownership is worth its weight in gold.

e: Not just going forward, so much of scouting and management is institutional knowledge.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
According to pff:

Antwon Blake allowed 1,074 yards in coverage and missed 28 tackles. Both pff records. Congrats, Antwon, you pile of crap. Imma hire jak to go Jeff Gillooly on your ass.

Drakeon

the thing about the niners job is no it's not extremely attractive on the surface, but beneath jed yorks bullshit you can make on some semblance of possible interest. first off, we're going to overpay someone (jeddy has to now to attract good talent). secondly, after how god awful we were this year the new coach coming in could go 8-8 and the fanbase would probably be content. we went 5-11 but unless you watched our games i dont think you can understand just how bad we were. the last offense we had that was this bad was in 2005 when we had a rookie QB and a bunch of horrible players on the team. our defense wasn't awful overall (finished 15th in ppg) BUT there were games where it was brutally bad so there was no consistency.

at this point, knowing that the alternative was jim tomsula and his staff of losers, i will be happy with just about any coach we hire

Well, Baalke has confirmed we won't have an in-house coaching candidate (relieved to hear it even though I highly doubt we'd ever have considered Mangini), so that's good news.

I'd start the list with
Hue Jackson (he satisfies the Rooney rule as well, but he's also #1 on my list, but he's honestly probably got his pick of coaching jobs)
Adam Gase (although if he didn't work out last year I'm not sure why Baalke would be more apt to take him now)
Sean Payton (still not as high on this one as others, but he's definitely a great offensive mind)
Kyle Shanahan (he'd be higher if the Falcons didnt crash and burn so fucking hard at the end of the season)
Mike Holmgren (I'd like the pick, but he's honestly been out of football a long while and I HIGHLY doubt Baalke goes for him unless we're left with no other options)

Correction: 8 Teams Can Be Forced To Appear On Hard Knocks, Who Would You Want To See? https://t.co/07zStGbXEW
#NFL

Rams would be so boring that HBO would permanently cancel Hard Knocks after two episodes.

So anyone but them.

League wouldn't let them be selected for the show anyway, half of it would "will they/won't they stay in St. Louis" and that's not a good look for the NFL.

According to pff:

Antwon Blake allowed 1,074 yards in coverage and missed 28 tackles. Both pff records. Congrats, Antwon, you pile of crap. Imma hire jak to go Jeff Gillooly on your ass.

William Gay's agent should bring that info to the bargaining table to guarantee his client the best possible contract.

I'm not head coaching material yet, linebackers coach is more my style right now. Defensive co-ordinator at best.

Which probably makes me overqualified for the Browns job, where do I send my application?

Message BG for details and call the number.. You'll get a signing bonus of burning river and Bamen Noodles to sweeten the deal. Hmm?

Well, Baalke has confirmed we won't have an in-house coaching candidate (relieved to hear it even though I highly doubt we'd ever have considered Mangini), so that's good news.

I'd start the list with
Hue Jackson (he satisfies the Rooney rule as well, but he's also #1 on my list, but he's honestly probably got his pick of coaching jobs)
Adam Gase (although if he didn't work out last year I'm not sure why Baalke would be more apt to take him now)
Sean Payton (still not as high on this one as others, but he's definitely a great offensive mind)
Kyle Shanahan (he'd be higher if the Falcons didnt crash and burn so fucking hard at the end of the season)
Mike Holmgren (I'd like the pick, but he's honestly been out of football a long while and I HIGHLY doubt Baalke goes for him unless we're left with no other options)

1. hue jackson - love his offenses but he went off his rocker in oakland... i don't know. i think we need a stable experienced headcoach. but i wouldn't necessarily be heavily against this, just very risky in my eyes

2. adam gase - rumor is he had the deal with baalke, then jed stepped in and said you need to make tomsula DC, which of course gase said fuck off. IF this scenario is true, there's a chance baalke could go back this route and say hey york is hands off now (lol) so you can hire your staff. i don't see how adam gase would turn that down unless he has another head coaching job lined up (which i kind of doubt he will)

3. sean payton - sure... is he bringing alone prime drew brees as well? i wouldn't mind this hire i suppose. some people don't want to give up a 2nd round pick but who gives a shit, we can't draft well anyways. baalke will probably take another safety from a college you've never heard of anyways

4. mike shanahan (with kyle as OC?) - i guess i wouldn't hate this. don't have much more to add. it's an improvement over what we had!

5. mike holmgren - eh... i dont hate it either but he's getting up there and has been out of coaching for so long i just don't think it's the right move

KingBroly

Banned
Because the Redskins made the Playoffs, it means they won't show up on Hard Knocks until at least 2018 (2019 if they fire Gruden). Woo!

No word on the Saints or Colts so far is odd.

Top Bottom