• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

Real talk, the PD news has me catching feelings more than the Megatron news. =/ One way or another the Lions will move on and have some sort of relevancy as long as Matthew Stafford is the Quarterback of the team. PhoenixDark can't be replaced, I hope cooler heads prevail and it's not a perm.

As for Megatron if he decides to retire and it's in his personal best interest, health wise, then let the man retire. At least he's not letting the Lions know he may retire unlike Barry Sanders who let the Lions know right before training camp started. Though in Barry's defense times were different back then.

Reading on Rashean Mathis saying "plans to play with Lions in 2016 or retire," you can read between the lines in one quote from two days ago.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/01/04/detroit-lions-rashean-mathis/78281076/

From Matthew Stafford's comments on wanting Coach Caldwell and Coach Cooter to return to a slew of Lions players passionately saying they want Coach Caldwell to return, that will be probably one of the main factors in Megatron playing again.

If the Lions fire Coach Caldwell and Coach Cooter and we have a new offensive playbook and system in place, I wouldn't blame Megatron for wanting to retire because the franchise is essentially sending the message that we're going into rebuilding mode.

Megatron also said a few days before this announcement and I'm paraphrasing because I can't find the quote: "The Lions are right there in contention it's a matter of continuity", or something along those lines.

I think that statement essentially told the Lions if we get a new HC and playbook it's time to hang up the cleats.

It's apparent that the team as a whole likes Caldwell a lot. They played hard for him in the second half of the season almost resurrecting their season. Even though I don't believe at all Megatron's holding the retiring decision as leverage as to keep Caldwell here, I do believe what you're saying in that Megatron's gonna retire if the new GM get's rid of Caldwell. Also with Calvin announcement whether he retires or not it may change their though process come draft time. They may look at a WR in the first round.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Am I really that off base? Do Steelers fans not feel that Tomlin doesn't lose several games a year he should win? Perhaps I'm overstating it, but Tomlin just doesn't strike me as being on that upper echelon of Coaches and I see him make dumb mistakes (stepping on the field last year and getting that penalty immediately comes to mind) what seems like all the time. I also do not go out of my way to watch all 16 Steelers games, so I admit I could be overstating things.

Tomlin's great at some things: motivating, relating with players, aggressiveness. He's terrible at other things: clock management, overlooking teams. He's the Steelers coach; He fits the mold. As the fan of a franchise that's had 3 head coaches in 47 years, I don't even think about where he ranks or how he fits in. It doesn't matter. He's in charge and will be for the next 10+ years.

Did they lose some games they shouldn't have? The Ravens.
Did they win some games they had no business winning? Beat the Cards with Landry Jones at qb.

As an aside, what he's done with the team this year is pretty remarkable. Ben has not had a great year, as well as missing time with injuries. The defense is getting it done with not much talent. Add in playing 7 playoff teams, I'm happy with the job Tomlin's done this year.

I see all these posts about why Fisher is still a head coach and the only answer is Kroenke. I guarantee that he would have been fired after year 3 had he been coaching for any other team.

Only 6-7 days until we get to know who moves to LA!

Look, I felt it was more pronounced with Tomlin, but I don't watch all 16 Steelers games every year, so if you guys want to defend him, I'll drop it.
It is more pronounced now - the team has been shedding old talent the past 3 seasons. They're still not finished - the teams best pass rusher is James Harrison!

This team should have been a LOT worse than they were Ben or no, the fact they aren't is coaching.

hey guys what did i miss?
The Bucs are the Browns
*steps on shirt
Tom Pelissero ‏ @ TomPelissero 3s 3 seconds ago
In a 4-year span, the # Bucs have now fired 3 head coaches: Raheem Morris after the 2011 season, Greg Schiano after 2013, now Lovie Smith.

Tony Grossi ‏ @ TonyGrossi 48s 48 seconds ago
# Bucs following # Browns path to greatness. # deadend

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
raHA13v.gif

Spinluck

I see all these posts about why Fisher is still a head coach and the only answer is Kroenke. I guarantee that he would have been fired after year 3 had he been coaching for any other team.

Only 6-7 days until we get to know who moves to LA!

Let's not forget he was the Titans coach after so many shit years, and they never fired him...

The Lovie firing makes no fucking sense... Bucs deserve another shit season.

Spinluck

Tomlin is a good coach, he fucks up a fair amount, and loses on some head scratchers. But after this overall shit season, Steelers fans should be thankful they have him.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It's apparent that the team as a whole likes Caldwell a lot. They played hard for him in the second half of the season almost resurrecting their season. Even though I don't believe at all Megatron's holding the retiring decision as leverage as to keep Caldwell here, I do believe what you're saying in that Megatron's gonna retire if the new GM get's rid of Caldwell. Also with Calvin announcement whether he retires or not it may change their though process come draft time. They may look at a WR in the first round.

No doubt we're looking at WR if Megatron retires but we have at least 10 draft picks this upcoming draft but Megatron is irreplaceable.

However I was just watching on ESPN.com that both Jerome Bettis and Ryan Clark are convinced he does not want to retire and this is justified posturing by Megatron to restructure his deal in a fair way because of all he's done for the franchise. He wants to retire a Lion and it was just two days or so ago he was saying something to the effect of "this team has the piece to go places."

Also Ryan Clark mentioned something I have not heard anywhere else.

Calvin Johnson's agent is Bus Cook who was also Brett Favre's agent. Read into that how you will but it gives me optimism.

Trey

For the record Coughlin did the same type of shit tomlin does.

Shit clock managment for an example.

Like the giants game against the patriots where they had Eli throw bombs instead of trying to run the clock down.

They may have gotten a touchdown but they lost the game because they let brady get the ball back.

They lost that game because Butler made a strong defensive play, and the defender dropped a sure winning INT.

Striker

Giants going to interview Teryl Austin Thursday.

Kind of an interesting pick. I think they could definitely go at a defensive minded coach and try their damndest to keep Ben McAdoo at OC at the same time. It's a perfect situation for them.

Lions defense dropped off this past season, but they did let go of Suh and missed DeAndre Levy a lot.

Top Bottom