• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

bionic77

Mark Davis is the best owner, even bionic agrees.
He is pretty awesome.

Hard to hate someone who is that weird and so open about it.

Fitz is the best qb the jets had in years and had a fantastic season.

Who the Texans traded away for a 7th because they want to be patriots south.

Instead they are Brown's south.
Fitzpatrick is still fooling people?

What year is it again?

Godslay

Banned
The schedule isnt an excuse, it's a frame for the statistics. The Houston Texans faced worse defenses week in and week out than the Chiefs. Both teams played weak teams, because the NFL is full of weak defense. But if both QBs have similar stats, then that should push the edge towards the QB that faced better defenses.

Even if you add 5 average games to Hoyer's resume, he'd have more TDs and Passing yards, but have fewer total yards, a worse completion percentage, a higher INT % on with more INTs, a lower QB rating and fewer yards per attempt.

I'll agree that they are pretty similar, but I still think the Chiefs have a clear edge in nearly every individual aspect of the game, not including STs. The Chiefs are not particularly good there and I'm honestly not sure how the Texans are.

They've faced better defenses, but they've also lost to those better defenses.

The Bengals, Broncos, Chicago, and Vikings all beat the Chiefs. All good defenses. Those four teams when defeating the Chiefs held them to 18 ppg. Not great. They did beat Houston, so there is that going for them.

When they beat Denver in the second game, they had a Manning that couldn't throw the ball and turned it over 4 times on the worst performance I've ever seen by a Bronco QB, Tebow included. That really set the defense up for defeat, as there were so many short fields it was easy mode.

I'd also say that KC didn't face a decent offense the entire year, aside from maybe Green Bay, and the Bengals. Which again, they lost both of those games. You could consider the Raiders as well I suppose which they won both times. Shouldn't have won the first time, but Carr threw that game away.

Houston is in the same boat. They faced three good defenses (Carolina, Bengals, Jets), and came out 2-1. But also didn't really face any great offensive team, aside from maybe Cam and Brady (both Ls), maybe Bortles just looking at the numbers. Lost 2 out of those 4, and really the Jags aren't a good team overall, but their offense was decent overall.

I still think that the margin between Smith and Hoyer is thin. Smith is more consistent, a bit more conservative, more seasoned. Maybe that makes him better. I don't know.

Only if he can defeat David Bowie in the Concussion Protocol Labyrinth

Fulton seemed fine against Oakland. Plus, if you have to lose a linemen against Houston, the center is the one you want to lose.

I guess we'll see.

Bowser

For most quarterbacks, this play would easily have been one of their best for the whole season. For Newton, it's just one that he was expected to make on a regular basis. Newton completed just 60 percent of his passes, but his accuracy rate was 77.1 percent. And a 77.1 percent accuracy rate while throwing the ball downfield under pressure isn't logical.

We can compare his efficiency numbers to the other quarterbacks in the league. The quarterbacks who thrive from completely clean pockets. The quarterbacks who have ball-winning receivers who erase the need for accuracy. The quarterbacks who throw to dynamic, creative runners who can create yards after the catch on screens and other simple throws. Or we can be realistic. We can actually assess how rare a talent the Panthers passer is. We can actually acknowledge how high his performance level has been each week. We can appreciate how important he has been to his team's 15 victories this season without feeling compelled to diminish it by pointing to Luke Kuechly and Josh Norman.

Maybe it's inconvenient for some, but Cam Newton is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL now. He was the best in 2015.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-cam-newton

thatsmyqb.gif

People who think the cold is a benefit for the Vikings are deluded.

At most it just levels the playing field a slight amount by potentially slowing down Russels passing. It's not like the Vikings players have been living outside in huts all year. Additionally the winter has been super mild until just now.

I don't see it.

DMczaf

:)

iu

Your perm sucks!

rando14

At most it just levels the playing field a slight amount by potentially slowing down Russels passing. It's not like the Vikings players have been living outside in huts all year. Additionally the winter has been super mild until just now.

I don't see it.

Cold weather's probably gonna make the game a shitshow

Crisco

Banned

I think every NFL/Panthers/sports fan underestimated Newton at some point, which looking back never made any sense. The dude had an undefeated national championship season on an Auburn team with, realistically, a total crap roster. No NFL receivers, no NFL running backs, no NFL linemen, and no NFL defenders except the perpetually overweight and injured Nick Fairley. And he did it in the undisputed best conference in college football. If a college basketball player did something similar, he'd be hailed as the next Lebron/Jordan.

I don't see it.

Plus Minnesota's a dome team that temporarily playing outside until they go back to a new dome next season.

Chip to the giants, McAdoo to the Cowboys and Garrett to Philly! NFC East rope a dope sounds good to me

I will fight you for even suggesting such a thing. I do not want Chip going to the Giants, and I definitely do not want Garrett anywhere near the Eagles.

Eagles are interviewing Doug Pederson on Sunday. I cant believe that this is a thing that is really happening. Fuck this life.

Greg

I think every NFL/Panthers/sports fan underestimated Newton at some point, which looking back never made any sense. The dude had an undefeated national championship season on an Auburn team with, realistically, a total crap roster. No NFL receivers, no NFL running backs, no NFL linemen, and no NFL defenders except the perpetually overweight and injured Nick Fairley. And he did it in the undisputed best conference in college football. If a college basketball player did something similar, he'd be hailed as the next Lebron/Jordan.
yeah, the college game projects pro QB success well

and basketball and football are pretty much the same sport (did you know Julius Peppers played both?!)

eznark

Banned

First overall pick.

But he got no respect coming out of college.

Jesus Carolina, relax with the persecution complex.

First overall pick.

I don't think Cam has been undervalued either. Prior to this season I would have put Tannehill right up beside him and called them fairly even. Now that seems insane. His growth this year is what has propelled him into a higher tier (your "elevate the guys around him" tier) and public opinion will probably reflect that more as time goes on, particularly if they can win a SB.

Crisco

Banned
yeah, the college game projects pro QB success well

and basketball and football are pretty much the same sport (did you know Julius Peppers played both?!)

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but in Cam's case you saw a guy who was head and shoulders #1 out of 22 football players every time he got on the field. It's not like he was just a runner either, he threw 30 TD passes that year against only 7 INTs. The anticipation, accuracy, and intelligence they talk about in that article was there from day one.

First overall pick.

And everyone except the Panther's FO thought it was a horrible pick. 5 years ago wasn't that long ago, I still remember. Hell, as recently as last season people were questioning whether he was worth the #1 overall, and there were all kinds of articles questioning whether he'd done enough to earn the contract he signed this offseason.

jmdajr

Pey Pey wants nothing to do with the Chiefs or Texans!

edit: I am hoping for the ratings Bonanza that will be Texans/Benagls for the AFC Championship!

harSon

Banned
Excited for Saturday. I know our secondary will probably get wrecked by AJ, but I still have hope! Hopefully Ben has gotten all the interceptions out of his system. Also, I wouldn't mind if they accidentally left Blake at the hotel.

Lovie Smith is a terrible coach and the Bucs were never going to win anything of value with him, so I'm not going to pour my liquor out for him losing his job.

But he did have that team going in something resembling the right direction. Strange timing to fire him unless they have someone they KNOW is better and they KNOW is interested in the gig.

eznark

Banned
And everyone except the Panther's FO thought it was a horrible pick. 5 years ago wasn't that long ago, I still remember. Hell, as recently as last season people were questioning whether he was worth the #1 overall, and there were all kinds of articles questioning whether he'd done enough to earn the contract he signed this offseason.

I'm almost positive he was like top 5 (if not top 3) on basically every big board. Wasn't the consensus #1 Fairley though?

Does anyone track this stuff? Could be a fun read.

Greg

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but in Cam's case you saw a guy who was head and shoulders #1 out of 22 football players every time he got on the field. It's not like he was just a runner either, he threw 30 TD passes that year against only 7 INTs. The anticipation, accuracy, and intelligence they talk about in that article was there from day one.
so where's the underestimation coming from? that sounds more like underperforming

Top Bottom